PDA

View Full Version : Where Will It End?

DeadHoosier
08-Jun-2010, 06:39 PM
Like all of you, I waited a LONG time for Land of the Dead. I didn't like it, and while I put Diary on the same level, Survival of the Dead is a laughable, pathetic, half-witted disaster ... beyond anything I thought GAR was capable of.

How could you leave the final edit thinking Survival was good (in any way)? The dialogue since Land has been bad, but the ridiculous accents magnify it 10-fold. I never cared about gore, but the CGI is the equivalent of a 4-year-old with Crayolas compared to Savini. And just like Land and Diary, it's impossible to CARE about the characters or the outcome.

Maybe adulthood is a cinematic curse. I guess you can see past certain faults in your youth, but in these recent installments, GAR looks like a total hack. That's something I never would envisioned saying between 1985 (when I first saw the original trillogy) and 2005.

Cartma7546
09-Jun-2010, 05:36 AM
And just like Land and Diary, it's impossible to CARE about the characters or the outcome.

I agree with you on almost everything but what is quoted above. I think the Riley and Charlie characters were likable character. It may have been due to the fact that they were played by good actors. In Diary tho I could give less then a sh!t if they get out of the safe house. Land I think was the last good movie of the saga. It was nowhere close to the 3 but it was scratching at the door at times.

In my book unless GAR has something up his sleeve we are looking at what Lucas did to the star wars prequels happening to our beloved films.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know...I liked 'Land of the Dead'. I thought it was a fitting entry into the original series, even though it had some awful parts and some questionable set pieces and characters. Although, I liked Riley, Charlie and whoever the hell Argento played. But, I don't need likeable characters to enjoy a film. The biggest thing that irked me about the whole movie was the modern equipment that was used. It's just a pity that Romero decided to abandon the original series though and do this godawful "reboot". IMO, he should have stuck to the project he started in 68. That can run and run, even after he's dead himself.

The "reboot" was always going to be a massive failure though. Besides being boring, with truly wretched characters, I just don't think that the old guy's heart is in it any more.

Skippy911sc
09-Jun-2010, 01:21 PM
I think the last three entries from GAR had left something to be desired.

I think beside the horrible FX the pacing was all wrong. It was static no up and down swings, the characters all felt bland. Even Riley and charlie had this monotone way of speaking. I also want a little more realism in the films. A few people missing a head shot would be nice.

The latest film, survival, was OK but I agree with one point... the accents. Whats with these accents? This is the USA not Ireland or Scotland or wherever.

bassman
09-Jun-2010, 01:25 PM
Where will it end?

A. Romero dies.
B. Nobody gives him money.
C. He makes another good film.

Am I the only one here that knows some people living in the states with accents from around the globe? I've got a neighbor with an english accent and I often work with an Australian. I didn't think it was uncommon. I will say this - The accents were the LEAST of my worries in that flick.

Trin
09-Jun-2010, 02:28 PM
There's a ton of stuff I agree with in this thread.

I think the Riley and Charlie characters were likable character.I loved those two characters. I wish the movie had been different in a ton of ways, but I liked those two. They stand out to me as some of the best in all the Dead movies. I also liked Cholo if you forget the money issue.

I don't know...I liked 'Land of the Dead'. I thought it was a fitting entry into the original series, even though it had some awful parts and some questionable set pieces and characters.
I'm just almost at the point of agreeing that it was a fitting entry into the original series. Diary and Survival really lowered the bar.

I will say this - The accents were the LEAST of my worries in that flick.[Survival]I agree with this. The accents were a bit weird and a little out of place but that didn't really detract for me. There were lots of other oddities in Survival to gripe about first.

DeadHoosier
10-Jun-2010, 12:49 AM
You're dead on about the Lucas comparrison. I could write a thesis on that. We just have to hope GAR doesn't slice and dice the originals to insert new, worse dialogue and puke-worthy CGI to finish his "original vision," and sell it to idiots like all of us, that will buy them.

Mr.G
17-Jun-2010, 12:27 PM
I think it's ironic that a good majority of us (including myself) complained about Land to a certain degree but after watching the last 2 movies have lowered our standards and come to appreciate it.

BillyRay
17-Jun-2010, 01:54 PM
I think it's ironic that a good majority of us (including myself) complained about Land to a certain degree but after watching the last 2 movies have lowered our standards and come to appreciate it.

If Romero decided to concentrate on a regular "Dead Reckoning" TV series for cable, I'd tune in...

Thorn
17-Jun-2010, 02:57 PM
I liked Riley and Charlie as well.

Riley it was harder for me to like because basically his dialogue consisted of him disagreeing with EVERYTHING that was said to him.

He was made overly confrontational, condescending, and disagreeable. before you say 'He lost his brother and was bitter" or anything else, please don't I have already walked down that avenue of consideration. To a degree it makes sense NOT to the degree he was written.

MIKE: They're trying to be us.

RILEY: They used to be us.

Really Riley? I am sure even the rookie could have puzzled that one out.

And so on. watch the movie again, it is one of my biggest complaints about the film. I understand what Romero was trying to do but in the end he made Riley hard to like despite the fact he is clearly the hero of the story.

In my humble opinion.

bassman
17-Jun-2010, 02:59 PM
MIKE: They're trying to be us.

RILEY: They used to be us.

Really Riley? I am sure even the rookie could have puzzled that one out.

Yeah, but that's pretty much a staple of the series. Someone says something similar to that in every film.

Anyway....Riley rocks. The characters in Land are among my favorite in the series. Land rocks, too.:D

shootemindehead
17-Jun-2010, 06:18 PM
Where's a bro fist, when you need one? You'll just have to make do with this Bassman :D

I think Riley is one of the best Romero characters. He may disagree, but he isn't disagreeable.

darth los
17-Jun-2010, 06:26 PM
We just have to hope GAR doesn't slice and dice the originals to insert new, worse dialogue and puke-worthy CGI to finish his "original vision," and sell it to idiots like all of us, that will buy them.

That's already been done brotha.

It's called NOTLD 30th Anniversary edition. :dead: :hurl:

:cool:

JDFP
17-Jun-2010, 06:49 PM

When Hell freezes over (and I'm not talking about The Eagles).

"Land" did help me to appreciate "Diary" much more though, I'll give "Land" that much credit.

j.p.

Trin
17-Jun-2010, 06:53 PM
He was made overly confrontational, condescending, and disagreeable. before you say 'He lost his brother and was bitter" or anything else, please don't I have already walked down that avenue of consideration. To a degree it makes sense NOT to the degree he was written.
And so on. watch the movie again, it is one of my biggest complaints about the film. I understand what Romero was trying to do but in the end he made Riley hard to like despite the fact he is clearly the hero of the story.

Riley was a bit abrupt. I'm not sure I'd classify it as disagreeable.

My problems with Riley:
- He was portrayed as believing himself powerless when he was the most powerful person in the Green.
- He was written with confusion as to his motives. For example, was he planning to leave Charlie behind when he was going after his car? I get the impression he was going to abandon everything and just drive off... very anti-hero/anti-friend. But Charlie already knew that it was Riley's last night. Was Charlie in on the plan or not?
- He was at times dispassionate and at other times highly passionate. For example, why did he take a stand and save Slack when he allowed so very many atrocities to occur all around him?

It seemed like GAR wanted to portray Riley as hardened and desensitized, but with a very deep caring side that simply had a callous form over it. I don't think it was well written for that, nor well acted for that. You see shades of it in the beginning, but after they're back in the city it doesn't play through.

Still one of my favorite characters. He had inner conflict and tension, and was well portrayed to make the audience sympathetic to him. When the kid dies at the beginning you can see the pain etched on his face. You know he's deeply affected.

darth los
17-Jun-2010, 07:18 PM
"Land" did help me to appreciate "Diary" much more though, I'll give "Land" that much credit.

^^^^

This.

See buddy.?

We agree on something ! :hyper: