PDA

View Full Version : More Evidence Of Seas Existing On Mars

MikePizzoff
09-Jun-2010, 12:20 PM
Scientists have found further evidence that massive seas once existed on Mars.

A geological mapping project discovered sedimentary deposits in a region called Hellas Planitia, which suggests it was once a large sea.

The 1,200 mile wide basin is a giant impact crater, the largest one on Mars.

The team says their data supports the theory that a lake existed there between 4.5 and 3.5 billion years ago.

Some scientists believe that conditions on Mars were more favorable for the evolution of life during this time than they were on Earth.

"This mapping makes geologic interpretations consistent with previous studies, and constrains the timing of these putative lakes to the early-middle Noachian period on Mars," Dr Leslie Bleamaster, research scientist at the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, told BBC news.

The team says that fine-layered outcrops around the eastern rim of Hellas are likely to be sedimentary deposits.

They were formed from the erosion and transportion of rock and soil from the Martian highlands into a standing body of water.

The results support an earlier study of the western part of the Hellas basin.

Further research into this region could help provide clues about where this water went and how the Martian climate changed over geological history.

A number of instruments aboard NASA spacecrafts, including the Viking orbiter, Mars Global Surveyor and Mars Odyssey, helped the researchers map the area.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1876674/more_evidence_of_seas_existing_on_mars/index.html

Danny
09-Jun-2010, 12:24 PM
in some ways the idea that there may have been life and its already gone seems more sad than there being no life at all y'know?

fartpants
15-Jun-2010, 08:39 PM
maybe humans originally lived on mars but had to re-locate to earth when they screwed up the planet.... wow i see a pattern emerging

darth los
17-Jun-2010, 07:22 PM
maybe humans originally lived on mars but had to re-locate to earth when they screwed up the planet.... wow i see a pattern emerging

You know, that might not be far off from the truth.

Something has to explain why human beings suddenly sprung up on this planet from literally nowhere and why every major religion seems to have basically the same beginning involving "sky people".

:cool:

BillyRay
17-Jun-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm reminded of something...

I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we … are the cure.

darth los
17-Jun-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm reminded of something...

Is that from the matrix?

If not Agent Smith said something very similar to Morpheus.

But i'd have to agree. And judging by the crazy weather patterns we've been having in recent years (more intense hurricanes more often, etc.) I'd say mother nature is trying to sneeze this virus out.

EvilNed
19-Jun-2010, 02:23 PM
You know, that might not be far off from the truth.

Something has to explain why human beings suddenly sprung up on this planet from literally nowhere and why every major religion seems to have basically the same beginning involving "sky people".

OH OH OH OH either that, or you know, back in the day, people didn't know how to make heads or tails of the sun. That sits in the sky.

blind2d
19-Jun-2010, 10:36 PM
Direct quote from Morpheus' interrogation, yes.
I've always felt like Mars was Earth-like at one point... this just adds more support to my theory.
We should maybe colonize Venus, I think. Then we'd have cool motorcycle death races!
*See "Venus Wars" anime movie.

Legion2213
21-Jun-2010, 06:15 PM
As a big fan of the old pulps (Edgar Rice Burroughs, Leigh Brackett etc) I feel totally vindicated - I've always known that Mars had seas and ancient civilisations...and that Venus is a lush jungle planet populated by savage beasts and beautiful women in need of rescue. :)