PDA

View Full Version : Time for an m night shamylan thread

Danny
14-Jun-2010, 01:21 AM
So i watched signs earlier, just watched the happening and i think im gonna watch the lady in the water next. Now this guy gets a bad rep for 3 major things:

1:putting himself in his movies, even making himself the hero of one
2:"Tweest's"
3:haters gonna hate.

I think the happening was his nail in the coffin in terms of disliking him, mostly becuase people thought it was preachy and "running from the wind", what about you?

I for one really dig his films, the happenning has grown on me, mostly because i was in blockbuster the day i got my blu ray player and it was the only blu ray i could afford on some spare change and i wanted to "experience blu-ray". Its not his best film, but also not his worst for me- that monikor falls to the village which is a very poorely made film.
In the making of shamylan says he wanted to make a b movie and thats what he did, the protagonists are kind of bland but the premise was interesting and the pacing was dead on. BUT!- i can get why people dont like it.

What surprises me about shamylans films is that lady in the water is universally slammed and people love the village.
now heres my take. lady in the water is a dark fairy tale set in contemporary times, paul giamatti was riveting as this depressed caretaker who finds himself in the middle of a fairy tail come to life.
People dislike it for two reasons 1:shamylan cast himself as a key figure and 2: there was no 'tweest' just a straight narrative for once and to be honest that was why i enjoyed it. i think this was the point in his career where people whent just for the twist and were probably holding on to the end that the narf in the pool was the evil one all along.
Then you have the village which was terribly paced, when it finally picked up it ended shortly after and felt like one long act, a minutes long middle and then an end. plus it had a numbe rof possiblities for decent twists, are they all robots that have gone mad westworld style? are they living in a nature preserve as an example of a near extinct species? there was a dozen better ways than "they pretended it was the 1800's".
Now the village gets a better rep than lady in the water and regardless of taste this seems mad to me, the acting was terrible, the story was plain stupid and i havent seen a worse paced film this side of the millenium.

Overall i like his stuff, i think he's a filmmaker whos become cool to hate. and whilst i certainly hated the happening its grown on me a lot, and signs, unbreakable and the 6th sense are some of my favourite movies.
I know some folks said to me the happening was bad because of its in your face commentary, like a countryside shot with a power station in the background, but how is it any different than survivals subtext on modern media? which i found way more in my face.

This aint a thread to defend the happening though, to each his own. just whats your take on him? what about his films?

i know signs is a truly dividing one. ive seen people call it an anti athiest film, a film with a sinister pro christian agenda, a plot whole filled mess, a tightly knit story about loss, one of gibsons best performances, one of his worst. it goes on and on.
personally i was it in the cinema when i was 14 with my brother and we both loved it, 8 years later i catch it on bbc1 and i loved it still.

In my opinion shamylan is one of the last remaining b movie filmmakers, who tries to make something eerie and stand alone like long twilight zone episodes - in a similar way to guilliermo del toro almost, instead of making low budget shit and called it "expoiltation" or "grindhouse" and he goes the distance in terms of production when he really doesnt have to.
This can be hit or miss but i havent written him off like a lot of people have and to be honest he's still one of the names like george romero, kevin smith or takeshi miike whos name will get me to check out something there associated with every time.

now rage away.:D

JDFP
14-Jun-2010, 03:19 AM
Shyamalan is one of the greatest directors working out there. Period. "Signs" is my most favorite film by him and I'd say it's one of the ten greatest horror films ever made (in fact, I did say that in the list I did here on the thread about 'Your Ten Most Favorite Horror Films').

I think the reason many people don't like Shyamalan is because you actually have to use your brain in his movies. He doesn't just attempt to throw thinking out the window in lieu of blowing shit up and showing T&A and filling the screen with tons of gore (I, for one, am thankful -- I hate this shit, except maybe the T&A). He's been in all of his films in at least a cameo role (giving homage to his predecessor in many ways, Hitchcock), but I agree that he did go overboard as casting himself as a protagonist in "Lady In The Water". No, he's not Hitchcock (no one ever will be) but he's very Hitchcock-esque in his style -- a film where people have to use their brains. This is probably the reason you don't see any well-done contemporary thrillers, if it doesn't involve blowing shit up and turning your brain off Hollywood doesn't want to touch it ("No! People don't want to think!").

As a person of faith, I appreciate how Shyamalan includes his faith and ideology in his films. I appreciate a change from most atheistic films out there. Mel Gibson was perfect for the role he did in "Signs". While I don't generally go to the movie theater ever, I always make an exception and fork over the $10 to go see ANYTHING that Shyamalan directs. I can count on an amazing score (thank you, James Newton Howard, who always does amazing work in his films), and a thought-provoking film.

I read somewhere where Shyamalan was writing a script (this was years ago) to make a film where Anthony Hopkins was going to play a corporate executive distanced from the world who finds out the world is coming to an end (very similar to "Knowing" in essence -- but I'm sure Shyamalan and Hopkins would have brought it up several notches) but I don't think this film panned out due to their schedules.

Let me sum it all up like this, I look forward to each new Shyamalan film like I look forward to each new Roman Polanski film (though Polanski only does a new film every four years or so) -- with great excitement and zeal. I know I'm going to get a hell of a story from a master story-teller, just like betting the bucks that Spielberg was going to present something unique back in the day, I greatly admire Shyamalan's work.

Yeah, he's one of my five most favorite *living* and active directors (along with Polanski, Cameron Crowe, Richard Franklin, and a few others I won't bore you with).

j.p.

bassman
14-Jun-2010, 12:10 PM
His constant use of a "twist" ending gets on my nerves sometimes. Just make a good film, it doesn't ALWAYS need a twist. That's not to say I think they're all bad, but it feels like he relies on the same gimmick over and over again.

My opinions on the flicks I've seen -

Sixth Sense - Totally overrated, but not a bad film on it's own merits. I just got tired of hearing about it when it was released.

Unbreakable - By far his best work. I love this film. It's also one where the entire plot is the "twist" rather than the last 30 minutes. I hope he can, but I doubt he'll ever top this one.

Signs - Aliens and Mel Gibson, what's not to like? I consider this more of a thriller because there were only a few scenes that were really scary. My only gripe is that you would think these aliens would stay away from a planet that's mostly made of the H2O that's harmeful to them.:confused:

Lady in the Water - Not bad...but meh. I like Giamatti. The wolf thing was cool. That's about it.

The Happening - Easily his worst. This feels like another case of him throwing together a sub par script and then saying "It's got to have a twist!".:dead: Even though the twist is obvious to anyone that pays attention. It's not totally bad, but he really fell below the mark on this one. Especially since it was pimped out as "HIS FIRST R-RATED MOVIE!!!".

The Happening is probably the reason he is now working on The Last Airbender. After a total failure, he's looking for something more mainstream to get back on top. Me? I have zero interest in it...

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2010, 05:11 PM
I'll be honest, the only movie I liked by this dude was Signs and the first 15 minutes of The Happening (after that it was blah, but I loved watching these people just walk off the top of construction sites to their death. Is that wrong? :lol:).

...and, as bassman said, enough with the "twists" already. That gets old after a few movies.

rongravy
14-Jun-2010, 08:07 PM
Not a fan. I liked The Sixth Sense and was so so over Signs. The Happening and The Village were huge pieces of shit. Unbreakable was one of the worst movies I've ever personally seen. Almost as bad as Blair Witch. I don't see what's the big deal about him. The Happening was great until it turned out to be plants...
WTF?!?!?
Alot of people love him, but then again alot of people love Tarantino and I hate the fuck outta that guy. I guess it's just a matter of taste, or lack thereof...
:lol: