PDA

View Full Version : Survival of the Dead rips off 'The Walking Dead' comic book

Eyebiter
18-Jun-2010, 03:01 PM
Read 7-12 of the Walking Dead comic book.

George Romero ripped off the idea of not wanting to kill the undead, and storing them in a barn in Survival of the Dead.

AcesandEights
18-Jun-2010, 03:04 PM
ZOMG, double spoilers! :p

thxleo
18-Jun-2010, 03:38 PM
Read 7-12 of the Walking Dead comic book.

George Romero ripped off the idea of not wanting to kill the undead, and storing them in a barn in Survival of the Dead.

Are you familiar with a film by Romero called Dawn of the Dead? It's a pretty good movie from the late 70's, you know long before The Walking Dead comic, and in it there is a scene where people keep the undead in a basement because they don't want them to be killed.

bassman
18-Jun-2010, 03:47 PM
The entire genre is one big rip off. Every entry is inspired by whats come before it.

Thorn
18-Jun-2010, 06:14 PM
Are you familiar with a film by Romero called Dawn of the Dead? It's a pretty good movie from the late 70's, you know long before The Walking Dead comic, and in it there is a scene where people keep the undead in a basement because they don't want them to be killed.

That is true, I think the OPs thought though was the use of a barn for storage? Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

The Walking Dead's creator/writer has said he was influenced by Romero and there is nothing wrong with reverse sampling or inspiration anyway you look at it.

bassman
18-Jun-2010, 06:34 PM
The Walking Dead's creator/writer has said he was influenced by Romero and there is nothing wrong with reverse sampling or inspiration anyway you look at it.

Between TWD's writer and Frank Darabont in the director's chair, I think it's safe to say there will be countless similarities between Romero and this franchise. Probably more so than Shaun...

Danny
18-Jun-2010, 06:52 PM
Not sure if troll....

Eyebiter
18-Jun-2010, 07:25 PM
Also in Walking Dead the religious farmer wants to keep his son and neighbors intact, even after they turn into zombies. On the off chance a cure is found or it's all part of God's plan.

The Muldoon's keeping their zombified family members chained up seems a bit too similar.

Thorn
18-Jun-2010, 07:36 PM
Between TWD's writer and Frank Darabont in the director's chair, I think it's safe to say there will be countless similarities between Romero and this franchise. Probably more so than Shaun...

I totally agree, and I think that paying homage is not only respectful and appropriate but required at this point.

krakenslayer
18-Jun-2010, 08:18 PM
Also in Walking Dead the religious farmer wants to keep his son and neighbors intact, even after they turn into zombies. On the off chance a cure is found or it's all part of God's plan.

The Muldoon's keeping their zombified family members chained up seems a bit too similar.

It's just one of those ideas that seems like an obvious extension of the concept. If you're going to have people fighting to keep dangerous deadheads alive and close to living humans, it just seems logical to give them a religious motive. Why else would anyone do anything so illogical?

Religious fundamentalists and their hypocritical ways are crying out to be lampooned in this way - it's like rabid pro-lifers who claim to be fighting for the right to life whilst also being known to murder those with whom they disagree.

darth los
18-Jun-2010, 08:32 PM
It's just one of those ideas that seems like an obvious extension of the concept. If you're going to have people fighting to keep dangerous deadheads alive and close to living humans, it just seems logical to give them a religious motive. Why else would anyone do anything so illogical?

Religious fundamentalists and their hypocritical ways are crying out to be lampooned in this way - it's like rabid pro-lifers who claim to be fighting for the right to life whilst also being known to murder those with whom they disagree.

Oh,The rabidly religious are some of the most hypocritical, hate filled, exclusive people you'll ever meet.

Unlike most people who call themselves religious I've actually READ the entire bible from cover to cover.

And it's funny because jesus actually hung out with prostitutes and lowlives because they were the ones that need his his help. He didn't say "oh, they don't believe and live as we do so...OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"

:cool:

blind2d
18-Jun-2010, 10:08 PM
Very true. A lot of people just quote God and Jesus without trying to model their lives after their teachings and behavior. It's funny. I really don't see logic in that. I think people just need a reason to hate others sometimes because it makes them feel justified and powerful. Jesus said "the meek shall inherit the Earth". Radical christian fundamentalists don't really remember that.
As for the barn zombies... big fuckin' deal. As long as their isn't an idiotic lawsuit over it, I don't think we should even discuss it.

bassman
18-Jun-2010, 10:13 PM
"Oh...it's blessed are the MEEK! Oh, I'm glad they're getting something, they've had a hell of a time."

blind2d
18-Jun-2010, 10:15 PM
Sounds familiar... hmm...

krisvds
10-Dec-2010, 07:10 AM
Sounds familiar... hmm...

Quiet, big nose!

Ghost Of War
10-Dec-2010, 07:20 AM
Don't you call my husband big nose.

MoonSylver
10-Dec-2010, 07:20 AM
Quiet, big nose!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/ChernayaAkula/BigNose.jpg

"One more time, mate; I'll take you to the fuckin' cleaners!"

JDFP
10-Dec-2010, 12:55 PM
Okay, he may have used a similar plot element as "TWD" on this. But, guess what, the whole concept of zombies eating people in "TWD" is clearly taken from Romero who began the contemporary (er, modern?) perspective of "zombies" as we know them today. Your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on at all.

You're absolutely right, anyone who claims to follow the teachings of Christ and acts in a way contrary to the teachings of Christ are hypocrites. This includes these "rabid" pro-lifers, your words, who act in such a way. Ironically, there are also people out there who believe that folks should have equal rights and believe in supporting those in poverty and who have economic woes and yet, at the same time, believe it's perfectly okay to murder unwanted babies and classify it as a "choice". These people are just as hypocritical as the rabid pro-lifers who make excuses for 'taking lives to save more lives'.

j.p.

Mike70
10-Dec-2010, 01:14 PM
hey, if james cameron can rip off poul anderson and harry harrison to make billions, then what's a few zombies?

darth los
10-Dec-2010, 04:18 PM
You're absolutely right, anyone who claims to follow the teachings of Christ and acts in a way contrary to the teachings of Christ are hypocrites. This includes these "rabid" pro-lifers, your words, who act in such a way. Ironically, there are also people out there who believe that folks should have equal rights and believe in supporting those in poverty and who have economic woes and yet, at the same time, believe it's perfectly okay to murder unwanted babies and classify it as a "choice". These people are just as hypocritical as the rabid pro-lifers who make excuses for 'taking lives to save more lives'.

j.p.

The best argument for a welfare state I've heard in a long time. :D

Good job buddy. :thumbsup:

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 04:31 PM
Wasn't the guy in the original day script also called the governor?

JDFP
10-Dec-2010, 04:38 PM
The best argument for a welfare state I've heard in a long time. :D

Good job buddy. :thumbsup:

Huh? You lost me... (and that doesn't usually take very much, I lose more brain cells every day, you know...)

Wasn't the guy in the original day script also called the governor?

Yes, I think he was the governor of Florida if I remember correctly. I always thought Dennis Hopper's character from "Land" was molded off of this character who (luckily) didn't make it into the final product of "Day".

j.p.

Sammich
10-Dec-2010, 09:06 PM
GAR, Kirkman, Darabont, Fulci, Snyder and all of the other zombie people ripped off Samuel Newman's 1959 movie Invisible Iinvaders!

Bodies of the recently dead reanimating and called "THE WALKING DEAD", mysterious radiation, scientists in an underground facilitiy trying to find a cure, etc. Somebody call the cops!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrLPaHLzBo

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 10:24 PM
The funniest part of that is the inclusion of Snyder's name. As if anyone has ever claimed he brought anything original to the genre. :p

Mike70
11-Dec-2010, 11:32 AM
The funniest part of that is the inclusion of Snyder's name. As if anyone has ever claimed he brought anything original to the genre. :p

oh but kevin smith thought that dawn was "pimp.":D:rockbrow:

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2010, 04:08 PM
oh but kevin smith thought that dawn was "pimp.":D:rockbrow:

:rockbrow:???

http://nikkigsblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pimp.jpg

One lackluster film maker praising the efforts of another lackluster film maker does not a glowing endorsement make...;)

Mike70
11-Dec-2010, 05:52 PM
:rockbrow:???
One lackluster film maker praising the efforts of another lackluster film maker does not a glowing endorsement make...;)

i'm sensing the presence of a sarcasm fail. 'twas a joke about an old thread.

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh I knew you were being sarcastic. I just couldn't let it pass without comment. :D

triste realtà
12-Dec-2010, 11:00 PM
GAR, Kirkman, Darabont, Fulci, Snyder and all of the other zombie people ripped off Samuel Newman's 1959 movie Invisible Iinvaders!

Bodies of the recently dead reanimating and called "THE WALKING DEAD", mysterious radiation, scientists in an underground facilitiy trying to find a cure, etc. Somebody call the cops!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrLPaHLzBo

Edward L. Cahn directed it along with at least two other zombie movies making him the original inventor of the dead trilogy.

---------- Post added 12-Dec-2010 at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-Dec-2010 at 05:47 PM ----------

Forgot to add that I saw Grapes of Death recently and the killing zombies with dynamite looked mighty familiar.