PDA

View Full Version : Feed by mira grant

Danny
24-Jun-2010, 12:27 PM
So i just finished Feed by mira grant and it was a pretty interesting zombie novel. It's only been out a few weeks and i bought it because i was getting a free book, i didn't even know it was a zombie novel.
Interestingly its set in a world where a virus, Kellis-Amberlee flu, a mutation of a cure for the common cold that every mammal over 40 pounds in weight has in its system so when they die they go through "KA amplification" and turn into a zombie.
So The world is incredibly strict. where entry to an area requires testing your blood for infection amplification every time even if you just left and reenter a place. It makes for a very unique word post a zombie causing virus.

Thing is this is a world that accepts the zombies and takes every precaution against them. Its almost like the world after max brooks world war z. But the story doesnt really focus on the zombies.

It focus' on two siblings, georgia 'named after romero whos movies saved a lot of lives by getting people prepared' and shaun and there tech wiz buffy as three bloggers. the journalists in a post zombie world. georgia is a newsie, giving journalistic news and facts, shaun is an 'irwin' men and women who get up close and personal with the zombies with a video camera in hopes of getting a 'steve-o' award. and buffy is a fictional who would feel at home in the hpotd fiction section.
They go out of the safe zones into areas the american government deems lost and unfit for retaking at this time with there journalist passes, cameras and handguns to show the world that its okay to go outside and show how the world is outside the safe zones.

The story starts as they get an email telling them they are the bloggers to be covering up and coming republican senator ryman on his campaign to become the next president as a conspiracy surfaces against him.

its more a drama and conspiracy story set in a zombie movies epilogue world than a gorey survival story like so many copies on the shelves and thats why i really enjoyed it and can recommend checking it out.

Only bad part was that at the end i found out its part one of a trilogy and the next ones not due for a year.

Still its different to other stories you might find recommended on here and i for one give it a thumbs up.