PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who

fartpants
24-Jun-2010, 08:58 PM
so wat does everyone think....love it or hate it im interested to know your feelings
me personally i have loved this series....Matt Smith has been a pleasant suprise, i thought David Tennant was gonna be a hard act to follow but Smith seems to have made the character his own
and of course Karen Gillan as the heavenly Amy Pond is simply gorgeous

all in all a very good series and i personally cant wait for Saturdays season finale.....

Danny
24-Jun-2010, 09:00 PM
Matt smith and delicious red both rock.

stories are mostly the same tat davies devolved into. they need to get a writer, not a fanboy in charge of it.

BillyRay
24-Jun-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh yah, Lovin' the latest series.

Others have said it before, but Matt Smith really captures the "Old-Young"-ness of the Doctor perfectly. I'm still waitinng on his own unique take on the character, tho'. He sems to spend a lot of his time channelling Pertwee or Troughton. Not that that's a bad thing; I'm just looking forward to his own particular spin.

I'm liking Amy Pond more than I thought I would. She seemed kind of the classic "bit of fluff" companion crossed with the more combative/bitchy type at first. Jo Grant crossed with Tegan. But she's really grown on me. Not just 'cause she's a cute redhead.

(And I swear her Scottish accent sounds almost American. Is it just me?)

It seems as if this whole season has been gearing up to some kind of 'Universal reboot". The Nu-Daleks (Mighty Morphin' Power variety) were my first clue. I wonder if by the end of the finale, that the current 12th incarnation will wind up being the frist incarnation again - give some more longevity to the serie.

Yes, I said 12th incarnation. Go ahead, watch Journey's End, than ask me why...

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2010, 09:28 AM
Matt smith and delicious red both rock.

Hellsing letting his inner lusty caveman out for a breath? Now this is a turn of events ... :shifty:

I do agree as well, Matt Smith has done very well to make the Doctor his own - and as has been said, capturing that 'old/young' thing very well - and it's a quite enjoyable performance.

Gillan is also pretty good, and not just for those lovely short-shorts. She does have a bit of spunk about her (not that kind of spunk ... easy fellas :D) ... although it's the writing that lets her down a bit - all that constant 'not doing what the doctor tells her to do repeatedly' stuff wears thin - especially so in that double episode all about the stone angels (which was inconsistent with the lore).

The writing is all over the place. Some episodes are quite good, and others are pish. The first episode was quite good, but then the one about the underground reptile people was utter trash - and it was a DOUBLE episode for extra insult - that two parter was full of such far-left political piffle that it was insulting (such nonsense hasn't proved successful, or appropriate, in the past - e.g. the rubbish they got up to in the 1980s), plus the story was crap anyway.

The Van Gogh episode was rather good - except for the giant chicken monster, which was rubbish - it's Dr Who so there has to be a threat, but the threat was rubbish, everything else about the episode was most satisfactory, however.

The nu-Daleks suck bollocks though. It's like BMW got a hold of the patent and did a nu-Mini to their design. They don't look scary anymore, they look stupid.

The episode with thingy Corden in it was pretty good - although I was like "fuck off with the football reference!" - as it allowed Smith to really go into the wackiness of the character.

The first part of the finale has been decent too, it held my attention more than I thought it would - even though I've not been all that fussed about this "crack" theme.

Ghost Of War
25-Jun-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm liking this new Doctor more than I thought I would, I was worried that it was going to turn into more of a "Sarh Jane Adventures" thing. Glad I was proved wrong. Karen Gillan is a babe, I love cute redheads.
Can't wait to see what happens with The Doctor and Amy Pond's crack, though.

wayzim
25-Jun-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm liking this new Doctor more than I thought I would, I was worried that it was going to turn into more of a "Sarah Jane Adventures" thing. Glad I was proved wrong. Karen Gillan is a babe, I love cute redheads.

I must confess, since I last commented on the new Who, that I missed the two recent episodes (after the Vampires in Venice, where Amy did a retro turn as a Hammer heroine (tho not quite as buxom and the gown not quite diaphanous enough. :D )
Still, I'd keep watching just for Gillian alone. Put her in an Emma Peel outfit and I'm a happy man.
Everyone's right about Matt, he's definitely channeling various past Doctors, but not offensively.

Wayne Z

I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it.
The Doctor, in "An Unearthly Child"

Danny
25-Jun-2010, 02:07 PM
i think in retrospect i loved tennant, but smith does do a better doctor, whereas tennant gave the character little range, sad and sorry, silent and teeth gnashing anger or plain "wacky" -and only one emotion per scene for the most part.
Whereas smith can go through a whole range of emotion in the course of a minute. He's like an old man given another chance at being young and is going full tilt at it because lifes so short. even for a timelord.

fartpants
25-Jun-2010, 05:38 PM

funny cos Amy Ponds crack has been on my mind a bit too :lol::lol:

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2010, 06:59 PM
funny cos Amy Ponds crack has been on my mind a bit too :lol::lol:
The Doctor shoved his hand into it the other week - and he pulled out a ruddy great big chunk of wood from it! What a dirty crack that is ... :elol:

Ghost Of War
25-Jun-2010, 09:08 PM
The Doctor shoved his hand into it the other week - and he pulled out a ruddy great big chunk of wood from it! What a dirty crack that is ... :elol:

It wasn't just his hand, he was elbow deep in Amy's crack.

Ok, stop it now.:D

krakenslayer
25-Jun-2010, 09:11 PM
It wasn't just his hand, he was elbow deep in Amy's crack.

Ok, stop it now.:D

Amy's crack actually swallowed Rory whole a couple of weeks ago. :eek:

fartpants
26-Jun-2010, 11:23 AM
Amy's crack actually swallowed Rory whole a couple of weeks ago. :eek:

lucky Rory i say :p:p

wayzim
12-Jul-2010, 04:55 PM
lucky Rory i say :p:p

Lucky indeed.

Just this weekend I got in a mini marathon, three hours of Dr. Who so now I'm just one episode behind - Amy's crack n all that other stuff as well.

Tho the two parter was meh, I confess Rory's fate did catch me by surprise. Guess the writers couldn't be bothered trying to sort out the three way, tho given it was one gal, a time lord and a lad ... well, maybe this is a good.
The Van Gogh eppie did bring out a manly tear or two as ol Vincent is my favorite of the classic impressionists. The Time After Time bit was touching.
Amy still wearing her Dressed For Rio outfit, nice that is.
Maybe I'm ready to accept this latest regeneration now, once they resolve what's going on with Amy's crack that is.

Wayne Z
Amy: "If we had gotten married, our kids would have had really really red hair. "
Vincent and The Doctor.