PDA

View Full Version : Titanic: The Manly Men Sound Off

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2010, 08:30 PM
Just out of interest what do you all think about this movie?

yes, I know...bit behind the time, but I was inspired by a few different posts that have popepd up about it recently.

krakenslayer
28-Jun-2010, 08:31 PM
When is the boat going to sink.... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink... when is the boat going to sink..? oh there it goes! :)

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2010, 08:34 PM
Just added the poll questions, Kraken. Take a look.

bassman
28-Jun-2010, 08:35 PM
I think it's a great film from start to finish. Proud owner of the 3-4 disc ultimate edition DVD. Still need it on BR, though.

darth los
28-Jun-2010, 08:35 PM
One of the best movies of all time. And this is besides the fact that a dude would freeze his balls off while the chick gets to live.

Ain't.

Happening.

Bro.

Leonardo is the man though.

Side note: I refuse to watch the Oscars Until he gets an Acadamy Award for best actor.

The fact that he doesn't have one and Jaime Foxx does annoys me to no end.

:annoyed:

:cool:

clanglee
28-Jun-2010, 08:48 PM
Awww, and you made the results private to futher preserve our manly images.:cool:

I liked Titanic. . . I'll still watch it if there is nothing else on. . . .I really like the last 30 minutes or so. And Kate Winslette's boobs. . . .there is that too!!

BillyRay
28-Jun-2010, 08:49 PM
There's no spot for "Nevr could be bothered to sit through the damn thing"...

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2010, 08:51 PM
Awww, and you made the results private to futher preserve our manly images.:cool:

Just in case someone cried when they saw it :shifty:

darth los
28-Jun-2010, 08:52 PM

I liked Titanic. . . I'll still watch it if there is nothing else on. . . .I really like the last 30 minutes or so. And Kate Winslette's boobs. . . .there is that too!!

I'd sit through it again just for that dude. :D

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2010, 08:54 PM
There's no spot for "Nevr could be bothered to sit through the damn thing"...

Sorry, only ten options and I think I covered the bases for the people who did see it and would then have a basis for an opinion, but I know what you mean. There's movie I just can't wade into myself.

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2010, 09:19 AM
When I first saw it on VHS rental back in, what, early 1998 I think I thought it was pretty good - but basically for the ship sinking.

Then as I got a bit older and became a jaded teenager, I hated the movie, and this continued throughout my film degree as well, we even discussed Titanic in one of our first classes, and I remember my response (like most) was vitriolic and pissily dismissive.

Then around the time Avatar was coming out I got all up in JC's work again, and sought out the two documentaries he made - one of which is Ghosts of the Abyss, about the Titanic. I then decided I'd get the 4-disc DVD so I could watch all the bonus features, as I wanted to explore the making of the movie as a technical marvel.

I watched it with the commentary on, so it wasn't properly watching it I guess, but I appreciated the movie in a much different way. The Kate/Leo thing is still a bit ... hmmm ... but the whole class system thing going on on the ship is quite interesting and a good backdrop for the sentimental luvvy-duvvy stuff.

Then when the ship sinks, not only is it an amazing feat of filmmaking (a combo of practical, CGI and miniatures), but it's also really quite chilling to behold. The sheer panic, the 3rd class passengers getting locked down below, the utter nonsense that went on with the life boats, the arrogance of the people who thought themselves Gods for creating Titanic etc etc.

I used to think it was kind of sick in a way as these people really did die - and there's a lot of real events placed into the sinking of the movie - JC's research is meticulous, and he explains on the commentary where he tweaked things, or combined things, and he even apologises to the family of one of the life boat men who is portrayed as, initially, being bought-off by Billy Zane's character - whereas in reality the guy was seemingly nothing but a stand-up guy.

So it's a fascinating DVD to see how it all came together, and it's good to see what got cut out - including an absolutely laughable chase through the sinking dining rooms by that guy toting the gun going after the stone around Kate's neck ... the scene is retarded in its original form, but with a simple edit it's much, much better.

So while there is a lot of sentimental, mushy luvvy-duvvy stuff in it, it's also a fascinating technical marvel with an astonishing attention to detail and true-to-life happenings that can become really quite chilling.

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 12:30 PM
Okay....who voted for the "punched a guy" option? Who's the lumberjack that puts all of us girls to shame?:p

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 12:45 PM
I said it in another thread, so I'll just quote it here:

The only good parts to Titanic where when the ship hit the ice 'till when it finally sank. The rest is all BS that wasn't necessary. If you're going to name it "Titanic" make it about the Titanic. If you're going to make the movie about the love story, call it "Bullshit Love Story on the Titanic"

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 12:48 PM
So you're the lumberjack manly man?

"Uggg. Me Lou. Me want destruction and death. No emotional connect. ugg":p

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 01:12 PM
So you're the lumberjack manly man?

"Uggg. Me Lou. Me want destruction and death. No emotional connect. ugg":p

No, I was not the lumberjack manly man. :p

Like I said, when a movie is named "Titanic" I expect it to be about the Titanic, not 2 hours of BS love story.

When I went to see House on Haunted Hill, guess what it was about? A House that was haunted, and it was on a Hill. Guess what I saw when I went to go see A Nightmare on Elm Street? A chick who had a nightmare and she lived on Elm Street. No other bullshit surrounding it, no love story to get in the way of the meat of the story.

So, when I go to see "Titanic" I expect it to be about the boat, not 2 hours of love story surrounded by 30 minutes of awesomeness.

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 01:15 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, LouCipher's Titanic.

ceoPCK5zWXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&

The extended cut lasts a full 30 seconds longer.

:lol:

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 01:22 PM
Wait for it..... wait for it.......

<crickets>

Damn, I thought a laugh was coming, but nope. I was wrong.

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 01:23 PM
Well that's what you're saying Titanic should've been. Opening credits, iceberg, sink, end credits. Masterpiece.:p

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 01:25 PM
Well that's what you're saying Titanic should've been. Opening credits, iceberg, sink, end credits. Masterpiece.:p

Where did I say it would be 30 seconds, as your video so unamusingly showed?

Tricky
29-Jun-2010, 01:26 PM
I thought it was a good film, the sinking is done very well, and the bit where the ship is vertical in the water before crashing down is terrifying in my opinion, imagine what that must have looked like in real life :stunned: the love story is well done even if it is fictional and sentimental, it even made me feel mushy on first viewing, and it holds the story together well. If they didnt have the love story it would have tried to focus on too many historical characters and would have been a bit confusing or lost, so having the sinking as a backdrop works well, I dont see how they could have done it effectively if it was just a documentary style affair

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh the 30 seconds thing was a joke, man. You said something named Titanic should be about the ship sinking. The title of the video is Boat Sinking and it's a quiet video of nothing more than a boat sinking. Entertaining. :thumbsup: :p

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh the 30 seconds thing was a joke, man. You said something named Titanic should be about the ship sinking. The title of the video is Boat Sinking and it's a quiet video of nothing more than a boat sinking. Entertaining. :thumbsup: :p

I quite well understand it was a joke, it just wasn't funny.

bassman
29-Jun-2010, 01:36 PM
Well who pissed in your cornflakes, ya grouch?:p

JDFP
29-Jun-2010, 01:53 PM
No, I was not the lumberjack manly man. :p

Like I said, when a movie is named "Titanic" I expect it to be about the Titanic, not 2 hours of BS love story.

When I went to see House on Haunted Hill, guess what it was about? A House that was haunted, and it was on a Hill. Guess what I saw when I went to go see A Nightmare on Elm Street? A chick who had a nightmare and she lived on Elm Street. No other bullshit surrounding it, no love story to get in the way of the meat of the story.

So, when I go to see "Titanic" I expect it to be about the boat, not 2 hours of love story surrounded by 30 minutes of awesomeness.

Lou sums it up for me.

I think the film would have been far superior if JC had decided to retcon history like Tarantino does in "Inglorious Basterds". At the last minute the crewman looking out for iceburgs shouts: "Holy Shit! There's an iceburg ahead!" and they wisely decide to slow the shit and hit it head on instead of scraping the entire side of this ship -- causing the shit to not sink.

At the end of the film you see the "Titanic" gloriously docking in New York.

Now that would have been cool.

Actually -- the ship sinking was the only cool part of the film. So, I take that back.

"Jack, I'll never let go!" -- shoot me now to put me out of my misery. Stupid. Just stupid.

On a side note, the story of the Titanic has been told better previously. "A Night To Remember" made back in the 50's is a superior film to Cameron's "Titanic" because it's not about a sappy love story but focuses on many different primary characters in the work and gives a great deal of honor to the victims. Now "A Night To Remember" is a great film.

j.p.

BillyRay
29-Jun-2010, 02:09 PM
If you kids like Titanic, you'll love this show:

m_wFEB4Oxlo

No icebergs, sorry.

AcesandEights
29-Jun-2010, 02:13 PM

I did love that show. That Doc, what a cad!

Okay, in my defense, I was a little kid.

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 02:17 PM
Well who pissed in your cornflakes, ya grouch?:p

I believe that would be you. :p

I did love that show. That Doc, what a cad!

Okay, in my defense, I was a little kid.

Hey, I loved The Love Boat as a kid. Sure, I look back on it now and think "wtf?!" but it was still a good show at the time. :D

Trin
29-Jun-2010, 02:34 PM
Is anyone else impressed that MZ was able to write a classic coming of age story based on his opinion of the movie?

"What did you think of Titanic?"

"Well, it was the end of summer and the leaves had already begun to turn, which left me feeling quite melancholy. The movie had taken residence in the dollar theater the week before, which both thrilled me and saddened me. It was a blockbuster after all. Was I slighting it by waiting to see it on the cheap? Would the happiness that I felt in my wallet translate to joy in the viewing? Or would I only feel regret at waiting so long? Only time would tell. As I entered the theater the warm smell of fresh popcorn took me back to my earliest moviegoing days..."

lol

AcesandEights
29-Jun-2010, 02:36 PM
Is anyone else impressed that MZ was able to write a classic coming of age story based on his opinion of the movie?

"What did you think of Titanic?"

"Well, it was the end of summer and the leaves had already begun to turn, which left me feeling quite melancholy. The movie had taken residence in the dollar theater the week before, which both thrilled me and saddened me. It was a blockbuster after all. Was I slighting it by waiting to see it on the cheap? Would the happiness that I felt in my wallet translate to joy in the viewing? Or would I only feel regret at waiting so long? Only time would tell. As I entered the theater the warm smell of fresh popcorn took me back to my earliest moviegoing days..."

lol

:lol: Fucking classic!

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 03:15 PM

Well, he's that "special kind of special" so... but I agree with aces, classic! :D

darth los
29-Jun-2010, 03:38 PM
Okay....who voted for the "punched a guy" option? Who's the lumberjack that puts all of us girls to shame?:p

:shifty:

Are you really suprised though?

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2010, 05:08 PM
no, i was not the lumberjack manly man. :p

like i said, when a movie is named "titanic" i expect it to be about the titanic, not 2 hours of bs love story.

When i went to see house on haunted hill, guess what it was about? A house that was haunted, and it was on a hill.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D

darth los
29-Jun-2010, 05:35 PM

m_wFEB4Oxlo

No icebergs, sorry.

But it is exiting and new. :D

Legion2213
30-Jun-2010, 08:38 AM
I've never watched the entire movie, but it was obvious that they spent top dollar on the sets and stuff, so I voted for that.

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2010, 09:19 AM
It's also interesting listening to the commentary by JC to learn all the elements based on true life accounts - such as the dude with the hip flask who rode the Titanic down - dude was actually real and was seen riding the damn thing down, if I remember JC's commentary correctly. :eek:

And various other details as it is sinking - like the clock being set to the time that it actually reads on the real Titanic.

So really, it was just the love story bit that was a bit cack-handed.

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 12:52 PM
So really, it was just the love story bit that was a bit cack-handed.

A "bit"?!?! :stunned: :lol:

Mike70
30-Jun-2010, 01:27 PM
negative on titanic. great visuals with a mediocre, overblown story that has been told literally a million times before. the film is also way, way too long for such a simple story.

BillyRay
30-Jun-2010, 02:05 PM
negative on titanic. great visuals with a mediocre, overblown story that has been told literally a million times before. the film is also way, way too long for such a simple story.

Are we still talking about Titanic?

Or have we moved on to Avatar, now?

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:08 PM
Considering they are both mediocre BR, does it matter?

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 02:12 PM
Considering they are both mediocre BR, does it matter?

Both mediocre, yet they hold the first two spots on the highest-grossing films of all time. Funny how that works...

JDFP
30-Jun-2010, 02:24 PM
It's also interesting listening to the commentary by JC to learn all the elements based on true life accounts - such as the dude with the hip flask who rode the Titanic down - dude was actually real and was seen riding the damn thing down, if I remember JC's commentary correctly. :eek:

Oh this is true. Not only did he (his name was Charles Joughin and he was the chief baker on the Titanic) hang onto the railing of the sinking stern of the Titanic but he ended up SURVIVING after about 2 hours in the freezing water -- people ascribing his survival in the freezing water to the effect of the copious amount of alcohol that he consumed before the sinking of the ship (he did what I would have done, gotten drunk off his rocker before going).

He lived a long life until December 1956. He's actually portrayed in both "Titanic" and is used quite a bit more in the 50's film (and superior film if you ask me about the Titanic) "A Night to Remember" where he's used quite a bit more for comic relief showing him roaming through the ship looking for bottles of liquor while everyone else around is running around frightened and panicing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Joughin

Imaging having had a beer with this guy in the bar shooting the breeze with him trying to compare stories with him. :D

j.p.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Both mediocre, yet they hold the first two spots on the highest-grossing films of all time. Funny how that works...

Never confuse money for wealth (or taste). :)

j.p.

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 02:28 PM
Never confuse money for wealth (or taste). :)

Oh, i'm not. It seriously is funny how that works. I could think of a million films more deserving, but as DJ mentioned, the two holding the title are both mediocre.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:29 PM
Oh, i'm not. It seriously is funny how that works. I could think of a million films more deserving, but as DJ mentioned, the two holding the title are both mediocre.

They are mediocre... Honestly what is so great about either film other than Titanic sinking.

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:31 PM
Not only that, take a look at the music charts. Just because Justin Beiber (or whatever the fuck his name is) is in the #1 spot, doesn't mean it's good. ;)

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 02:32 PM
They are mediocre... Honestly what is so great about either film other than Titanic sinking.

Well, I think the big draw to both of them was the special effects. I mean....they basically re-built the Titanic and the real IMAX 3D of Avatar was amazing. That doesn't help the film now that it's in people's homes, though. With the huge screen and effects of Avatar now gone, I have no interest in seeing it again.

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2010, 06:14 PM
A "bit"?!?! :stunned: :lol:

To be fair though, Cameron likes a bit of the luvvy-duvvy stuff now and then.

The Terminator - the best of his 'love stories', naturally, but it's quite 'airplane love novel' in that it's two people who come together under extreme circumstances over 48 hours and they get bizzy, and indeed the relationship becomes romanticised by Sarah Connor in T2 and T:TSCC - in the way that Reese is her guiding light, but also in that it was a brief, passionate and action-fuelled relationship. Take the cyborgs out of it and it's kinda ... you know...

Aliens doesn't really have anything, although the 'mutual respect affair' of Hicks and Ripley is a nice little twist to the alien blasting dance.

The Abyss has a divorced couple coming together under the ocean with Ed Harris being all sentimental about his wedding ring and estranged wife.

Nothing like Titanic's 'properly airplane love novella' class-bound lovers, or Avatar's giant smurfs "seeing" each other (I really enjoyed Avatar by the way), but still ... it's not a big surprise that Cameron writes in such stories.

Oh this is true. Not only did he (his name was Charles Joughin and he was the chief baker on the Titanic) hang onto the railing of the sinking stern of the Titanic but he ended up SURVIVING after about 2 hours in the freezing water -- people ascribing his survival in the freezing water to the effect of the copious amount of alcohol that he consumed before the sinking of the ship (he did what I would have done, gotten drunk off his rocker before going).

He lived a long life until December 1956. He's actually portrayed in both "Titanic" and is used quite a bit more in the 50's film (and superior film if you ask me about the Titanic) "A Night to Remember" where he's used quite a bit more for comic relief showing him roaming through the ship looking for bottles of liquor while everyone else around is running around frightened and panicing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Joughin

Imaging having had a beer with this guy in the bar shooting the breeze with him trying to compare stories with him. :D

Yeah that's the guy - amazing isn't it?! I was flummoxed when JC said the dude really rode the Titanic down and survived - it feels like something specifically made up for the movie, but it actually happened. Incredible.

Well done to Mr Joughin. :cool:

Well, I think the big draw to both of them was the special effects. I mean....they basically re-built the Titanic and the real IMAX 3D of Avatar was amazing. That doesn't help the film now that it's in people's homes, though. With the huge screen and effects of Avatar now gone, I have no interest in seeing it again.

Titanic and Avatar have been so successful as they have something for everyone - they're gigantic event movies. That's their purpose, and people want to experience an event movie just as much as they want to experience any other kind of movie.

And if I was a giant smurf, I'd have totally stuck my ponytail in Neytiri's too. :lol:

Although, to be fair, JC and Zoe Saldana really bring the audience along with Neytiri and make you respect her ... and yeah, for a giant smurf, she's pretty darn hot. :D

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 06:33 PM

The Terminator - the best of his 'love stories', naturally, but it's quite 'airplane love novel' in that it's two people who come together under extreme circumstances over 48 hours and they get bizzy, and indeed the relationship becomes romanticised by Sarah Connor in T2 and T:TSCC - in the way that Reese is her guiding light, but also in that it was a brief, passionate and action-fuelled relationship. Take the cyborgs out of it and it's kinda ... you know...

Aliens doesn't really have anything, although the 'mutual respect affair' of Hicks and Ripley is a nice little twist to the alien blasting dance.

The Abyss has a divorced couple coming together under the ocean with Ed Harris being all sentimental about his wedding ring and estranged wife.

Nothing like Titanic's 'properly airplane love novella' class-bound lovers, or Avatar's giant smurfs "seeing" each other (I really enjoyed Avatar by the way), but still ... it's not a big surprise that Cameron writes in such stories.

Yeah that's the guy - amazing isn't it?! I was flummoxed when JC said the dude really rode the Titanic down and survived - it feels like something specifically made up for the movie, but it actually happened. Incredible.

Well done to Mr Joughin. :cool:

Titanic and Avatar have been so successful as they have something for everyone - they're gigantic event movies. That's their purpose, and people want to experience an event movie just as much as they want to experience any other kind of movie.

And if I was a giant smurf, I'd have totally stuck my ponytail in Neytiri's too. :lol:

Although, to be fair, JC and Zoe Saldana really bring the audience along with Neytiri and make you respect her ... and yeah, for a giant smurf, she's pretty darn hot. :D

I'm not a racist or anything but if the woman is blue then there has to be something wrong with the snatch. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm not a racist or anything but if the woman is blue then there has to be something wrong with the snatch. :lol:

My thoughts exactly... If some chick has blue skin, something tells me she has an STD I don't want. :p

Mike70
30-Jun-2010, 06:56 PM
unless it is this chick with blue skin:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061231084946/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/e/ed/Talas2153.jpg/292px-Talas2153.jpg

talas is quite an alien.

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 06:59 PM
unless it is this chick with blue skin:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061231084946/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/e/ed/Talas2153.jpg/292px-Talas2153.jpg

talas is quite an alien.

Star trek captain's never had a problem with oddly colored women. I'm sure kirk would be all over that like white on rice. :lol:

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 07:12 PM

"Now and then"?! :lol:

(Sorry MZ, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. :D Go ahead, poke me with a stick. I like it. :shifty:)

Legion2213
30-Jun-2010, 07:39 PM

That guy must have been channeling Slim Pickens!!! :cool:

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Unless she is Genetic Infantry...then she is good to go...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/bluegenes1.jpg

AcesandEights
30-Jun-2010, 07:47 PM
Unless she is Genetic Infantry...then she is good to go...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/bluegenes1.jpg

I know very little about Rogue Trooper, but is that a GI?

Legion2213
30-Jun-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah, "Venus Bluegenes", She's a canon character. :)

wayzim
01-Jul-2010, 01:24 AM
Just out of interest what do you all think about this movie?

yes, I know...bit behind the time, but I was inspired by a few different posts that have popepd up about it recently.

First of all, Titanic ... represent.

Yep, liked the movie, but then I liked most of the movies from Titanic(53) with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck, A Night To Remember(58, adapted from the Walter Lord book), SOS Titanic (77 MTV, noted for David Warner's first trip aboard the doomed ship as Laurence Beasley(one of the chief witnesses at the Senate Inquiry in NYC, April 19th 1912) to Titanic( 96 MTV film which came out the year before Cameron's film, the first one to show the stern break away. It starred a still relatively unknown Catherine Zeta Jones and Peter Gallagher )

Of course Richard Jordan, as Clive Cussler's aqua sleuth; Dirk Pitt, would Raise The Titanic(80) to retrieve a rare mineral.

We also visited the Titanic in Time Tunnel(Irwin Allen TV series ), on an episode of Night Gallery(where the flying dutchman of survivors(the original Baltar from BattleStar Galactica) finds himself brought aboard various doomed ships, and even our diminutive Time Bandits stopped aboard the White Star liner for drinks( and waiter, more ice. )

Did you know that before the 1912 disaster, there was a 1898 book written called Futility, which described a great ocean liner, The Titan, which sank after striking ice in the North Sea?

If someone was to make another Titanic film, I'd like to see one on the only Japanese man aboard who survived but lived the rest of his life in disgrace for doing so.

Oh, and Lightoller(who was such a hero in ANTR? ) showed himself to be quite the White Star Toady at the US Inquiry, April 19th - May 25th 1912.
Disappointing, that.

Wayne Z
"God sank with the Titanic "

Neil
01-Jul-2010, 08:34 AM

Have you noticed in zombie films, often the bits not about zombies are the most interesting/important bits? Often it's the 'threat' of the zombies that set the scene and make the 'alternative reality' interesting.

Likewise, had we seen the love story take place on a different ship, needless to say it would have been a very different 'experience'. But because it happened on the Titanic, it completely changes the dynamics of it... There is a constant thread/menace waiting to appear...

Now I know love stories/drama are not everyones cup of tea, hence - especially in some men - we see a lot of sarcasm and cynicism and the like. But for me it worked perfectly well. It may not be an epic film to many, but it certainly is more than adequate in the job it undertakes...

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2010, 10:12 AM
"Now and then"?! :lol:

(Sorry MZ, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. :D Go ahead, poke me with a stick. I like it. :shifty:)
What's wrong with "now and then" as a phrase or indeed concept? :confused:

Or is that a phrase you Americalanders don't have? :D

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the "now and then?" was a joke meaning Cameron ALWAYS has the mushy stuff. "Now and then? HA! Always!" That kind of thing.

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the "now and then?" was a joke meaning Cameron ALWAYS has the mushy stuff. "Now and then? HA! Always!" That kind of thing.

Yes, Bassman is right. My sad, pitiful attempt at humor.. Feel free to start poking with your stick. :lol:

Have you noticed in zombie films, often the bits not about zombies are the most interesting/important bits? Often it's the 'threat' of the zombies that set the scene and make the 'alternative reality' interesting.

Depends on which flick you're watching, but yes, I see what you're saying and agree that in some movies that is correct - but let me ask you this, Neil - if you went to go see a zombie movie called "Dawn of the Dead" and it was 2 hours of non-zombie stuff and 30 minutes of zombie action - would that be fulfilling to you? I'd feel like I got taken for a ride. Especially if the "side story" (aka the other 2 hours of the film) was a story that has A) been done waaaay to many times, and B) is something that doesn't interest you in the least?

That's the case for me a Titanic. If it was one of the crew or the captain telling or narrating the story? Awesome, I'd love it. But since it's surrounded by a cliche' love story, it holds no interest for me.

That being said, I do think the SFX and everything in the flick were excellent, and I enjoyed that part of it very much. Just could've done without the boring, imo, love story.

Neil
01-Jul-2010, 01:06 PM
Depends on which flick you're watching, but yes, I see what you're saying and agree that in some movies that is correct - but let me ask you this, Neil - if you went to go see a zombie movie called "Dawn of the Dead" and it was 2 hours of non-zombie stuff and 30 minutes of zombie action - would that be fulfilling to you? I'd feel like I got taken for a ride. Especially if the "side story" (aka the other 2 hours of the film) was a story that has A) been done waaaay to many times, and B) is something that doesn't interest you in the least?

That's the case for me a Titanic. If it was one of the crew or the captain telling or narrating the story? Awesome, I'd love it. But since it's surrounded by a cliche' love story, it holds no interest for me.

That being said, I do think the SFX and everything in the flick were excellent, and I enjoyed that part of it very much. Just could've done without the boring, imo, love story.

Well, depends...

I went knowing it was a love story set inside 'a true disaster'. I didn't expect 2hrs of carnage and drowning... I didn't expect a documentary... I expected a drama within a well know disaster.

I found it quite enjoyable (& insightful), to see the true tragic events unfolding from the eyes of a fictional love story.

"If it was one of the crew or the captain telling or narrating the story? Awesome, I'd love it." - Sounds like "A Night To Remember" may be more your cup of tea then, but even this is somewhat of a drama. But it does concentrate more on the tragedy itself...

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 02:22 PM
Sounds like "A Night To Remember" may be more your cup of tea then, but even this is somewhat of a drama. But it does concentrate more on the tragedy itself...

I think JD mentioned that flick a page or so back, and it does indeed sound like that's what I'm looking for with the whole "Titanic" story. I haven't seen it yet, but I am definitely going to get around to it soon. :D

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 02:45 PM
Don't waste your time, it's in Black and White. Ugh.

(sarcasm overload)

Neil
01-Jul-2010, 02:46 PM

(sarcasm overload)

Stands up quite well considering it's over 50yrs old :)

JDFP
01-Jul-2010, 02:58 PM

(sarcasm overload)

You know, honestly I think there's more class and style in filming in black and white than there is in color (ahem, "colour"). There's more you can do with shadows/lighting/etc. you just can't touch with color.

Of course, as you point out, most people under the age of oh 35 or so will sigh and say: "Man, it's in black and white, ugh, it's old stuff." -- because they are idiots.

j.p.

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 03:31 PM

Of course, as you point out, most people under the age of oh 35 or so will sigh and say: "Man, it's in black and white, ugh, it's old stuff." -- because they are idiots.

Well, since I'm 39 it'll be no wonder I will say "I really enjoy black & white" :D

Seriously though, I prefer B&W in photography even more than color, and I've seen some fantastic B&W films. I think for me it works better in photography than films, but I don't mind B&W films at all. ;)

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 03:36 PM
When was the last "big" B&W movie released? Clerks? Ed Wood? It's definitely a dying part of films.

Darabont wanted The Mist in B&W, but the studio wouldn't let him.:rolleyes: It's available on the dvd and it's great!

I don't think anyone really needs to point out that some of the best films of all time are in B&W....

Trin
01-Jul-2010, 03:38 PM
Depends on which flick you're watching, but yes, I see what you're saying and agree that in some movies that is correct - but let me ask you this, Neil - if you went to go see a zombie movie called "Dawn of the Dead" and it was 2 hours of non-zombie stuff and 30 minutes of zombie action - would that be fulfilling to you?
That's the classic "Day of the Dead" argument. It really just depends what you do with the extra time.

Avatar was awesome. Even on the small screen. If it was a tired old storyline it certainly was a nice new twist on it.

darth los
01-Jul-2010, 04:01 PM
That's the classic "Day of the Dead" argument. It really just depends what you do with the extra time.

That's probably why, technical aspects and all, it's arguably the best zombie film ever.

darth los
01-Jul-2010, 04:30 PM
I can remember GAr saying in an interview that when he first saw the Universal moster movies (Dracula, Wolfman, Frakenstein) in B&W they was the most beautiful thing he's ever seen.

There's something Regal about B&W films.

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 05:26 PM
The ending of "The Mist" is fantastic. I had a great laugh at it. It's one of the few films I actually saw in the theatre and at the ending I literally started cracking up laughing and the other folks in the theatre just turned around and looked at me like they were mortified. Eh, I guess not everyone sees the humor in it as I do -- their loss.

I laugh at it too, but for a completely different reason I'm sure. :D

Neil
02-Jul-2010, 02:31 PM
I've moved the Mist related posts here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=16985

Getting too far off topic...

SRP76
02-Jul-2010, 08:24 PM
Yeah. Dude dies for a pussy he's only had for a few days. Pleeeaaase. Nobody's that fucking good.

I sat through it once, and never again.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah. Dude dies for a pussy he's only had for a few days. Pleeeaaase. Nobody's that fucking good.

I sat through it once, and never again.

well it is Kate Winslet... and I am sure her pussy must be really sweet... :p

darth los
02-Jul-2010, 09:19 PM
well it is Kate Winslet... and I am sure her pussy must be really sweet... :p

Yeah, it being sweet and being able to enjoy it would be one thing.

He's giving up the ghost for something countless other dudes are going to end up beating up.

As spock would say:

Quite illogical captain. :rockbrow:

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2010, 10:45 AM
I always thought to myself - "they should hop onto that giant door at the same time" - that way they would have not over-balanced it. :sneaky:

SRP76
03-Jul-2010, 06:47 PM
I always thought to myself - "they should hop onto that giant door at the same time" - that way they would have not over-balanced it. :sneaky:

Or the dumb cunt could have just stayed on the lifeboat where she belonged, and Leo would have had the "raft" available so he would have lived.

Too bad the dude had to die bcause his woman was already dead from the neck up.

fartpants
03-Jul-2010, 09:46 PM
or why didnt she lay on top of him then they could have stayed out of the water and shared bodily heat.....

Neil
04-Jul-2010, 07:01 PM

Ummm... Doubt it would work... Just too much weight... Plus undoubtably he weighed more than her too...

JDFP
05-Jul-2010, 09:42 PM
You can't make this stuff up (even if you wanted to, which you don't).

This is the Netflix description with caption:

http://cdn-8.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/gsd/70139488.jpg

Titanic irony looms when the new luxury cruise liner Titanic 2, setting sail a century after the sinking of its ill-starred namesake, seems destined to come to a similarly soggy end when an ocean tsunami pushes an iceberg into its path. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration researcher Kim Patterson (Brooke Burns) and Coast Guard Capt. James Maine (Bruce Davison) lead the bid to save the giant ship and its passengers from annihilation.

Looks like this epic work is being brought to us by the same company that brought us "Transmorphers" and "Paranormal Entity". Look out, Cannes and Toronto, there's some serious competition coming to town! :rolleyes::D

j.p.

bassman
05-Jul-2010, 09:52 PM
haha...Titanic 2. I think we were discussing that film and other works from that reputable company in another thread.

Also reminds me of that fan-made "Titanic 2: Jack is Back" trailer from several years back. Funny stuff.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2010, 12:40 PM
There is a traler floating on the web somewhere for that awful turd of a flick. Aren't these the same guys behind Megashark vs Giany Octopus?

bassman
06-Jul-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm sure you guys that hate Titanic will be thrilled to learn that it's being converted to 3D (http://www.joblo.com/near-far-wherever-you-are-titanic-will-be-converted-to-3d-and-released-in-2012) and released in 2012 in honor of the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking.

Cameron promoting converted 3d? I thought he publicly trashed this process while speaking about Clash of the Titans?

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah but wasn't COTT a rush job where he is actually scanning each frame and supervising the entire 3D process?

Neil
07-Jul-2010, 08:13 AM
There is a traler floating on the web somewhere for that awful turd of a flick. Aren't these the same guys behind Megashark vs Giany Octopus?

Another pile of $hite from the rear end of "The Asyluim" :annoyed:

What a waste of space these guys are...

LouCipherr
07-Jul-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm sure you guys that hate Titanic will be thrilled to learn that it's being converted to 3D (http://www.joblo.com/near-far-wherever-you-are-titanic-will-be-converted-to-3d-and-released-in-2012) and released in 2012 in honor of the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking.

Yay! Just what we need! Pure shit in 3-D! :shifty:

darth los
07-Jul-2010, 04:17 PM
Or the dumb cunt could have just stayed on the lifeboat where she belonged, and Leo would have had the "raft" available so he would have lived.

Too bad the dude had to die bcause his woman was already dead from the neck up.

The woman didn't even offer dude!! All that sacrificing yourself for a woman when it's obvious she wouldn't have done the same for him.

Not even the check move. You know, that move where they fake like they're going to pay yet all the while expecting you to snatch the bill from her hands and insist that you have it covered. :rolleyes:

bassman
07-Jul-2010, 04:23 PM
Actually....if you pay attention to the story, it's explained why she doesn't seem to care that he's still in the water. He's from the northern part of the states and knows how quick Hypothermia can kick in. She, however, is a clean rich girl that has no idea about being in the wilderness/cold water. On top of that, Jack also tells her that the boats are coming back, so she assumes he'll be fine. Jack on the other hand, knows his time is coming.

It's all forshadowed in the attempted suicide scene where they first come together...

darth los
07-Jul-2010, 04:45 PM
Actually....if you pay attention to the story, it's explained why she doesn't seem to care that he's still in the water. He's from the northern part of the states and knows how quick Hypothermia can kick in. She, however, is a clean rich girl that has no idea about being in the wilderness/cold water. On top of that, Jack also tells her that the boats are coming back, so she assumes he'll be fine. Jack on the other hand, knows his time is coming.

It's all forshadowed in the attempted suicide scene where they first come together...

Being sheltered and being a complete duntz are 2 different things.

She couldn't tell through her powers of perception that he was freezing his balls off?

Anyone not in a coma could.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Jul-2010, 04:47 PM
Being sheltered and being a complete duntz are 2 different things.

She couldn't tell through her powers of perception that he was freezing his balls off?

Anyone not in a coma could.

Thank You... you have to be a total fucking moron to not think... hey... he could die

bassman
07-Jul-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm sure she had an idea, but with the boats "coming back" and Jack's previous story of the frozen lake feeling like being "stabbed all over your body", we're led to believe that she thinks he has the experience to hold on a few more minutes for the boats to arrive. Of course he knows the boats won't make it, but he's just trying to keep her calm.

On top of all this, she's passed out when he dies. While waiting for the "rescue" she passes out and is never able to see Jack and his last few minutes.

I'm not saying it's how any of us would do it or that it was the wise decision, but there is somewhat of an explanation as to why she's so naive about it.