PDA

View Full Version : battlestar galactica wins peabody award

Mike70
07-Jun-2006, 01:04 PM
this is so cool. this is a rather big deal - esp. for a scifi tv show. congrats

from scifiwire:
Galactica Collects Peabody

Battlestar Galactica executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick were on hand in New York June 5 to accept a prestigious Peabody Award for the SCI FI Channel original series. They were joined by cast members Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Jamie Bamber, Katee Sackhoff and Grace Park at the 65th annual Peabody Awards ceremony, hosted by TV satirist Jon Stewart, which took place at the historic Waldorf-Astoria hotel. The show's writing staff was also in attendance.

Video of Moore and Eick's acceptance speeches—as well as praise from fellow Peabody winners and South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone—have been posted on SCIFI.COM's SCI FI Pulse video feature.

Peabody winners were announced in April by the event's organizer, the University of Georgia. The awards honor "distinguished achievement and meritorious service by radio and television networks, stations, producing organizations, cable television organizations and individuals."

deadwrtr
07-Jun-2006, 01:35 PM
this is so cool. this is a rather big deal - esp. for a scifi tv show. congrats

Thats fantastic! I can't think of one show that is more deserving of an award than BSG. The acting, the plot, the believable effects... wondrous.

My only complaint is that I have to wait a few more months before the series starts back up again. Quite the cliff hanger they left us with...

GO BSG!! (not to be confused with MSG that isn't good for you.)

Adrenochrome
07-Jun-2006, 02:02 PM
I haven't seent he first second of the new eps. Is it worth it?
I'm still seeing (in my mind) Ben Cartwright as the commander and Starbuck before the sex-change.
I'm guessing they're a little more serious than the cheese of the 70's?

Tullaryx
07-Jun-2006, 02:17 PM
I would say that Battlestar Galactica is hands down one of the best show on TV at the moment. Better than Lost despite what fans of that show would like to tell you.

deadwrtr
07-Jun-2006, 03:51 PM
I haven't seent he first second of the new eps. Is it worth it?
I'm still seeing (in my mind) Ben Cartwright as the commander and Starbuck before the sex-change.
I'm guessing they're a little more serious than the cheese of the 70's?

Although the concept is the same, this series is far better than it's predecessor. Lorne Greene, while respectable, doesn't hold a candle to Olmos, in my opinion.

As for Kara Thrace, aka Starbuck, she does a far better job than the "Face man" Dirk Benedict from the original series as well. At first, I thought, "A woman? Playing Starbuck? Come on!" But, I take back every bad thing I thought originally. She's strong, but weak, resourceful and cunning yet reliant on her fellow wingmen, regardless of her independent do-it-all attitude.

Richard Hatch, the original Apollo, makes a cameo appearance as Tom Zarek, the terrorist/political prisoner who rallies a prison ship... see Bastille Day for more info. :)

A big surprise is the character Gaius Baltar. You may remember the character from the original BSG as a devious manipulator (played masterfully by John Colicos) now revamped by actor James Callis, and worlds better, in my opinion. He's a tortured soul who you can't help but hate. Now glut with power, he's weak and ineffective as a leader. You can't help but wonder... who's manipulating whom?

There are so many characters, so many under plots, so much outer space goodness you won't ever get bored. Even if you aren't a sci-fi fan, this series has something for everyone. If you haven't experienced this series firsthand, do so. Immediately. The episodes are available at local retailers, or, barring cash on hand, are download-able from a variety of torrents. I recommend buying the series on dvd, however. It's worth every frakking credit.

Tullaryx
07-Jun-2006, 04:03 PM
A Boomer if fine! It seems the best looking females in this version of BG are the Cylon ones. One thing I like about this version is how gritty and dirty the whole thing looks and feel. They also make make devolving the weapons to more present-day kind of slug-projectiles seem cooler.

Wooley
09-Jun-2006, 06:06 AM
Awesome. BSG is the best show on TV besides the Shield, and the best Sci Fi show since Farscape and B5 I think.