PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again! Approved: BDXL 128 GB Blu-ray Disc Format

LouCipherr
29-Jun-2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/approved-bdxl-128-gb-blu-ray-disc-format/

Ok, so it says it's for commerical and applications now, but what do you want to bet that as soon as standard definition DVD's sales start weaning that $ony comes out and says "oh, well, your 1080p dual-layer BR discs are SO last generation.. so SHUT UP, SLAVE and buy our new players since your old BR's aren't compatible"

Good lord... :rolleyes:

acealive1
29-Jun-2010, 09:29 PM
i lost interest when they said "oh ur blu ray player has to have a constant internet connection to have updated firmware.

thats not even worth the HUNDREDS you pay for the player and the movies if it needs constant updating

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 02:09 AM
Everything now days requires an update. I pods, consoles, you name it.

I can't even fire up my x box without it telling me i have to update or else i will be signed out of x box live. :rolleyes:

:cool:

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2010, 09:30 AM
Bullshit connectivity - even games have that shit now on the PC if it's got Ubisoft's wank 'constant internet connection to play, even fucking single player mode' thing on it.

The constant changes are one of several reasons I'm not upgrading to BR.

1) The difference isn't huge. It's just DVD+1, the change from VHS to DVD was huge, but from DVD to BR it isn't all-that-and-a-bag-of-coovan, you know?

2) My eyesight isn't in HD, so jacking off over pin sharp pictures when you're still supposed to be sat a distance from the telly is retarded.

3) BR's are 99% of the time more expensive than DVD, and by several quid.

4) The equipment and media - not only does it keep changing, but it's expensive if you want proper stuff - and you have to have a kick ass massive-ass telly to make it worthwhile.

5) Fuck BR taking extra features that could piss-easily be found on a DVD for major releases - that's bullshit screwing us DVD owners over, especially as BR is a mere sliver of the market and DVD continues to be the dominant species.

So all-in-all - BR is not something I'll be getting into any time soon.

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 12:26 PM
1) The difference isn't huge. It's just DVD+1, the change from VHS to DVD was huge, but from DVD to BR it isn't all-that-and-a-bag-of-coovan, you know?

Dude....trust me. I used to say the exact same thing you're saying here, but i've since eaten those words. Dvd is still fine and well, but seeing some of your favorite films in glorious 1080p? Nothing like it.

2) My eyesight isn't in HD, so jacking off over pin sharp pictures when you're still supposed to be sat a distance from the telly is retarded.

See number one. It's not about the pinpoint clarity, but the overall picture quality. There really is a great difference.

3) BR's are 99% of the time more expensive than DVD, and by several quid.

Where are you guys shopping? I've been buying BR's at 10 dollars while the dvd counterpart is 15-20.

4) The equipment and media - not only does it keep changing, but it's expensive if you want proper stuff - and you have to have a kick ass massive-ass telly to make it worthwhile.

I can't argue with the updates, but you don't need a massive-ass TV. You can get a smaller and cheaper one and still get the same quality. Besides....HD tvs are the norm now. They don't even manufacture tube TVs anymore, from my understanding.

5) Fuck BR taking extra features that could piss-easily be found on a DVD for major releases - that's bullshit screwing us DVD owners over, especially as BR is a mere sliver of the market and DVD continues to be the dominant species.

Once again, where are you shopping? The BR sections of my local stores are three times as big as the DVD. And the special features thing is just a marketing ploy trying to get people to switch over. Same thing DVD did to VHS.

So all-in-all - BR is not something I'll be getting into any time soon.

One of these days. One of these days...:p

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know MZ, while I agree with most of what you're saying, there's one thing I have to disagree with.

Example: Shaun of the Dead. The difference between the standard def version and the HD-DVD (I don't own it on BR, and refuse to since I already have the HD-DVD and from I understand, the PQ is better on the HD than the BR) are night and day. I mean, seriously dude, the picture clarity between the two are stunning to say the least. The same with The Thing - that HD-DVD transfer is how re-mastering for HD should be done, period.

So in that respect, HD does make a big difference. You may not "feel" like your eyes can't see in HD, but they can, and with the right tv, the right BR or HD-DVD player, the difference between picture quality can be an incredible leap - unless you have Harry Potter eyes and need coke-bottle glasses. :D

I completely understand your reluctance to get into the whole BR thing though - it's as if they say "this is the next standard for HD... for this year, but next year or the year after, we'll move onto something different!" so why bother? It's a tough decision to make. I think the only reason I moved to BR is because A) HD-DVD is toast, and even though it was a better format, it lost and the game is over. B) I like HD, and I really see the difference. The only caveat is, I won't buy any BR discs unless the movie I'm looking to buy has been remastered properly. IE: The Thing, or even The Wizard of Oz - that BR transfer is BEYOND WORDS. Don't care about the movie, but ho-ly shit is the transfer stellar.

Now, that being said, all this connectivity bullshit with game consoles, BR players, etc. I find to be abhorrent. The WORST offenders being idiots like Ubisoft that REQUIRE an internet connection to play some of their games. WTF?! What about the people with NO internet?! Yes, there are still some people without it. How are they supposed to play the sequel to their favorite Ubisoft game without a connection? Oh, that's right, they're not. And how are the rest of us to play if Ubisoft's servers go down? Oh, that's right, we're not. :mad:

Back to the BR and this new standard - I just see it as a new way to push yet new hardware on us and make us spend even more money - even though over the past few years most people are starting to upgrade to BR. I find it to be an epic bullshit move by $ony. Too soon in the game, but you know damn well they'll take advantage of it as soon as standard def discs sales start to wean.

Sometimes I love technology, other times I despise it totally. :annoyed:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 12:34 PM
Thsi is why I bought the PS3, it is 3D upgradeable and most liley will be firmware updated to use 128gb discs :moon:

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Everything now days requires an update. I pods, consoles, you name it.

I can't even fire up my x box without it telling me i have to update or else i will be signed out of x box live. :rolleyes:

Thats because nothing is built with quality in mind from the start... it is now quality on the go

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 12:50 PM
Thsi is why I bought the PS3, it is 3D upgradeable and most liley will be firmware updated to use 128gb discs :moon:

Dj, sucking at the teat of $ony again I see. :lol: :p

Well, rest assured "home 3d" isn't going anywhere ANY time soon, so i don't think I'd list that as a "feature." Watching TV is a 'passive' activity (for the most part) - that and no one is going to want to wear glasses to watch TV at home. Until they can do 3D without glasses, it's doomed for "home" entertainment.

I'll believe the upgrade to use 128gb BR's in the future when I see it. Somehow, I think the hardware itself is going to need to be upgraded. This isn't something they had in the works (this new standard) when the PS3 was released. Good luck on that one. :D

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 12:59 PM
After having seen one of those 3D tvs in Best Buy....it's not going to catch on. Definitely just a gimmick. They're not even close to the technology to make it worthwhile. These things will sale for a year or so and then go the way of the Dodo, imo.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 01:02 PM
Dj, sucking at the teat of $ony again I see. :lol: :p

Well, rest assured "home 3d" isn't going anywhere ANY time soon, so i don't think I'd list that as a "feature." Watching TV is a 'passive' activity (for the most part) - that and no one is going to want to wear glasses to watch TV at home. Until they can do 3D without glasses, it's doomed for "home" entertainment.

I'll believe the upgrade to use 128gb BR's in the future when I see it. Somehow, I think the hardware itself is going to need to be upgraded. This isn't something they had in the works (this new standard) when the PS3 was released. Good luck on that one. :D

Nothing to do with sucking their teat... as you are too by owning Blu-Ray :p

Just that when it comes to compatibility and upgrades the PS3 was the only unit built for all this BS. I wisely spent my money. :elol:

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:15 PM
Nothing to do with sucking their teat... as you are too by owning Blu-Ray :p

Just that when it comes to compatibility and upgrades the PS3 was the only unit built for all this BS. I wisely spent my money. :elol:

Yeah, but I didn't go directly to the $ony teat, I did the reach-around. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but I didn't go directly to the $ony teat, I did the reach-around. :lol:

Something you're very familiar with....

LouCipherr
Damn right, just like sucking $ony's teat is all too familar to you. :p :D

DjfunkmasterG
Damn right, just like sucking $ony's teat is all too familar to you. :p :D

But at least I am sucking on a teat... not jerking the gerkin.

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:18 PM
Who's jerkin'? I'm suckin' & doing a reach-around - what other choice do we have? $ony fucked Toshiba in the ass, so it's all relative. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:18 PM
Well if you're reaching around I don't wanna know what your are sucking...

BTW, wipe off your nose.

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey, you're the one sucking on $ony's man-teat, so you're in no better of a position. Or are you......? :D

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey, you're the one sucking on $ony's man-teat, so you're in no better of a position. Or are you......? :D

Well the smell is better on my end.

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 02:20 PM
You guys are both sucking off Sony because you have no other options...

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:20 PM
Bassman is correct, there is no other choice. Otherwise, I'd be doing the reach-around to Toshiba. :D

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:21 PM

Welcome to to the club Bassman, cuz you be sucking too, open teat to your left. :lol:

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to to the club Bassman, cuz you be sucking too, open teat to your left. :lol:

:stunned::lol:

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 02:26 PM
:lol:

I never claimed I wasn't. Just that you guys are going back and forth as if we have options, when we don't. You want HD on disk? "Get to sucking" says Sony...

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:27 PM

I never claimed I wasn't. Just that you guys are going back and forth as if we have options, when we don't. You want HD on disk? "Get to sucking" says Sony...

Get it right, it's $ony. :lol: :D

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:27 PM

Actually we don't have to have BR to get HD... because there is CBHD the Chinese format which is HD DVD just using a slightly adjusted algorithm

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:28 PM
Actually we don't have to have BR to get HD... because there is CBHD the Chinese format which is HD DVD just using a slightly adjusted algorithm

I'M NOT SUCKING ANY CHINESE TEATS NOR DOING ANY REACH-AROUND FOR THEM! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:28 PM
I'M NOT SUCKING ANY CHINESE TEATS NOR DOING ANY REACH-AROUND FOR THEM! :lol:

Bet on the back of your BR player it says MADE IN CHINA :lol:

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:29 PM
Bet on the back of your BR player it says MADE IN CHINA :lol:

But i'm not sucking off my BR player. :D

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah, but who here in Region 1 would want to go through the hassle? I would rather stick with BR. Not to mention, if it's anything like our HDDVD, it won't be around long.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah, but who here in Region 1 would want to go through the hassle? I would rather stick with BR. Not to mention, if it's anything like our HDDVD, it won't be around long.

well it will be because CHINA closed off Sony from getting access... many movie deals are made in China for CBHD

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

But i'm not sucking off my BR player. :D

But metaphorically you are

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 02:34 PM
I would rather stick with BR. Not to mention, if it's anything like our HDDVD, it won't be around long.

Quoted for truth.

That brings us back from sucking off $ony to this new format - which will end up becoming the standard, and yes Dj, you're gonna have to get new hardware for it. I know you like your P$3 (have you given it a reach-around? :D), but I don't think it is pysically capable of playing this new 4 layer BR disc.

That is unless this was $ony's evil plan from day 1... Hmmm...

*puts on tinfoil hat*

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 05:53 PM
Quoted for truth.

That brings us back from sucking off $ony to this new format - which will end up becoming the standard, and yes Dj, you're gonna have to get new hardware for it. I know you like your P$3 (have you given it a reach-around? :D), but I don't think it is pysically capable of playing this new 4 layer BR disc.

That is unless this was $ony's evil plan from day 1... Hmmm...

*puts on tinfoil hat*

it is just a firmware update... :lol::D

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2010, 06:02 PM
Christ on a bike, how quickly did this thread descend (or "ascend" ... if you're horny) into sexual depravity? There's teats, and reach arounds, and sucking and all sorts going on up in here ... blimey!

Anyway. I saw HD in Currys a few months ago, and I simply don't see what the fuss is about. They had a display Blu-Ray & HD TV combo going on, and while I recognised a difference in the picture (the colours seemed to have a smidge more pop, and the sharpness of the image was sharper) ... I just didn't see that it was really all that important.

Like, you could film a piece of turd on the bottom of a shoe in HD, and master it in 1080p or i, or whatever-the-fuck, but it'd still be a bum bomb smooshed into a Nike.

Heck, rubbish quality even amplifies the experience - grindhouse flicks for example - or like when I was a teenager watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a 3rd generation dubbed VHS.

Irrespective of visual and audio quality though, it's what's happening on screen that counts anyway, and as Lou was saying, you only get ones on BR that are worthwhile - frankly, if they're not putting out the best on BR constantly, then what are some jokers up to?

It's bad enough that some DVDs are released in such terrible quality - for example, a copy of "Pieces" I have on R1 DVD from years ago - it's a VHS rip in 4x3 and it says "digitially remastered" on the cover ... what a piss take. :lol:

The only time I'll get into Blu-Ray is when I've got no fucking choice - and shame on the media companies for pushing future-me into that position.

As for all the nonsense and expense that goes along with HD, if they want mass-pick-up by the public, they're going to have to make it:
1) Cheap.
2) Simple.
3) Reliable and long-running.

I don't know where Bassman is shopping though, BR's are always more expensive - be they online or in a shop - and a BR player, or one that's worthwhile getting for quality and longevity, is a damn sight more expensive than a good, solid, reliable DVD player (which you could get for £30). The cheapest BR player I've seen is about £100 - but it's a shit basic one with no longevity in its future, nor much in the way of tech - so it'd be 100 quid down the shitter.

Also, HD is supposed to be most worthwhile on a big ass screen - now, we've got Sky HD (for a year at least, lol) in the main room which has a 37" telly in there. I've been watching the Beverly Hills Cop movies through there these last couple of days - on the HD version of Sky Comedy - and while I see a difference, it's just a bit sharper.

What's the big fucking deal? :p

If a film is going to drop my jaw, it's most likely going to be because of the content. :sneaky:

For me quality of the picture is ultimately irrelevant - if the film's good, it's fucking good. I love me a quality DVD release, no wonder as I've got something like 450 of the fuckers weighing down my wall, but my most memorable and worthwhile viewing experiences aren't connected to the physical/digital quality of the image and sound.

For example, back in 2006 I went to the Bristol Bloodbath Film Festival (where "VHS" was shown as part of a short films portion of the days' schedule) and one of the films that day was The Pit and The Pendulum (with Vincent Price) - the print broke 2 or 3 times (one time it jammed and burned :D) and it was riddled with scratches, missing frames, and buggered out reel-ends ... but it was one of my most memorable viewing experiences because of the quality of the film ... ... and, well, actually the character of the print and the screening itself, and being at the film fest - the whole package made that experience one to remember. So I guess, the bad quality made it more memorable - in the best possible way - so while it's still ultimately irrelevant, it did hold sway (through poor quality) - some sway anyway - over my decision.

But I've never thought "wow, what a memorable viewing experience cos it's so sharp".

As for 3D TV - what a fucking joke. 3D cinema is enough of a joke, let alone 3D telly. There's a purpose - a relatively minor, briefly held purpose - in a 3D movie ... but only for events. I've seen Avatar in 3D and that's it. I'll probably see Tron Legacy in 3D, and that'll be my 3D for 2010, lol ... so yeah, 3D is exceptionally wishful thinking on the part of the media corporations who want our cash from it. Gimmick alright.

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 07:42 PM
it is just a firmware update... :lol::D

:lol: You keep telling yourself that. We'll see when the time comes.

Christ on a bike, how quickly did this thread descend (or "ascend" ... if you're horny) into sexual depravity? There's teats, and reach arounds, and sucking and all sorts going on up in here ... blimey!

HE STARTED IT! *points at Dj with a crooked finger*

Anyway. I saw HD in Currys a few months ago, and I simply don't see what the fuss is about. They had a display Blu-Ray & HD TV combo going on, and while I recognised a difference in the picture (the colours seemed to have a smidge more pop, and the sharpness of the image was sharper) ... I just didn't see that it was really all that important.

Keep in mind, MZ, that most of these stores don't have a single clue how to calibrate nor properly set up a TV/BR player combination. I've seen Best Buy here in the states where the BR player was hooked up to the TV and they were showing one of the Star Wars flicks in the wrong aspect ratio! :stunned: they had it squishing it down to 4:3 letterbox instead of 16x9.. WTF?!

Heck, rubbish quality even amplifies the experience - grindhouse flicks for example - or like when I was a teenager watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a 3rd generation dubbed VHS.

I can't help but laugh at people who buy Grindhouse on BR.. :lol: What's the freakin' point?!

Irrespective of visual and audio quality though, it's what's happening on screen that counts anyway, and as Lou was saying, you only get ones on BR that are worthwhile - frankly, if they're not putting out the best on BR constantly, then what are some jokers up to?

Using the master to the original standard def DVD pressing and slapping it on a blu-gay disc. No idea why the hell anyone would bother, but they do. Sometimes they'll do edge enchancement and make it even worse, but, that's what some of these cheap-assed companies will do to make a buck. You REALLY have to search out reviews from the real audiophiles & videophiles to pick out the best of the bunch of the Blu-Rays. Like I said, the remaster of Wizard of Oz is UNBELIEVEABLE as well as a few other flicks, but many BR releases - I'm looking at you, Columbia, and you're FUCKED release of Last Action Hero on BR! - are not worthy of the DVD-to-BR upgrade.

As for all the nonsense and expense that goes along with HD, if they want mass-pick-up by the public, they're going to have to make it:
1) Cheap.

Players have come down VERY far in price here in the US - not sure about over there in the UK. I'm still not happy with some movies being priced at $20-25USD, but most are on the cheap when you buy them the first week of release.

2) Simple.

At this point, I believe it is pretty simple. Aside from that online bullshit and their "BD Live" which is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS at this point.

3) Reliable and long-running.

"long-running" will never happen - not with the new 128gb 4-layer BR discs that Dj thinks his P$3 will play with just a "firmware upgrade" :lol: :lol: :p But I think that's the case with most technology. We got a good run with standard def DVD's, but that was a rarity when Moore's Law is in effect. :D

I don't know where Bassman is shopping though, BR's are always more expensive - be they online or in a shop - and a BR player, or one that's worthwhile getting for quality and longevity, is a damn sight more expensive than a good, solid, reliable DVD player (which you could get for £30). The cheapest BR player I've seen is about £100 - but it's a shit basic one with no longevity in its future, nor much in the way of tech - so it'd be 100 quid down the shitter.

Well, here in the states, like I said above, during the week of release, most BR's are cheap. Usually less than $15 USD. I'm not sure what's up with the area around you, but if you ever want a cheap R1 BR player, ask and ye shall recieve from an anonymous US donor. :shifty:

What's the big fucking deal? :p

When you see The Thing in HD on a 40"+ screen for the first time, you will immediately stop asking that question. :lol:

I used to think PQ was irrelevant to me too dude - I used to be "nothing but audio" - if a flick didn't have a DTS track on it, I was pissed - that is until I started see some of these REALLY good HD transfers. That made the difference for me because I could actually see a significant difference. ;)

I've never thought "wow, what a memorable viewing experience cos it's so sharp".

Mainly because we haven't been spoiled with HD content as of yet. Once you're exposed to it and see it's true capabilites, you'll never turn back.

Put it this way - I have a bunch of HD channels on Verizon FiOS - when I sit down to watch the telly for the evening, guess what channels I scan first? It isn't the 800 channels of standard def shit, it's the HD channels first, then the SD stuff. It wasn't until Dj and I were on the phone one day and I told him I did that, and he said "I do too" - then I realized, FUCK! I've been infected with the goddamn HD virus and like HIV, it's incurable! lol

Legion2213
30-Jun-2010, 07:51 PM
Sky HD is only 1080i

Blu-Ray is the real deal, and I was one of those "upscaling is nearly as good" types until I saw the light.

Go watch Zulu or Bladerunner upscaled then watch them on Blu...night and day difference. :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 07:57 PM
Best Blu-Ray Release with awesome PQ (My opinion of course)

Batman Begins (also own on HD DVD)
The Dark Knight
Zombieland
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Kill Bill Series
Transformers (own on HD DVD as well)

Decent and makes you like twice flicks:

Shaun of the Dead (HD DVD Verison is better)
Hot Fuzz (I prefer the HD DVD version)
Braveheart
Gladiator (Australian Release)
Shawshank Redeption
The Green Mile
Forrest Gump
Con Air

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

:lol: You keep telling yourself that. We'll see when the time comes.

HE STARTED IT! *points at Dj with a crooked finger*

I will keep telling myself that, and BS, I didn't start the thread.

Oh and Lou was one of those Upscale is good enough until i gave him an HD DVD player for his b-day

Legion2213
30-Jun-2010, 08:01 PM
I Am Legend & Kingdom of Heaven are good show off discs.

Will have MZ goin' down on Mr Sony quicker than a $5 whore! :evil:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 08:04 PM

$5.00??? $2.00 whores go down faster than $5.00 whores

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 08:07 PM
$5.00??? $2.00 whores go down faster than $5.00 whores

Well, they have to make up that loss of income somehow don't they?

Therefore they have to work quicker. But quicker i not always better. There are sure to be some teeth scrapes in there which defeats the whole purpose doesn't it? :lol:

Legion2213
30-Jun-2010, 08:09 PM
Competition is always good for the customer...:p

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 08:10 PM
Well, they have to make up that loss of income somehow don't they?

Therefore they have to work quicker. But quicker i not always better. There are sure to be some teeth scrapes in there which defeats the whole purpose doesn't it? :lol:

speaking from experience?

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 08:10 PM
Lou was one of those Upscale is good enough until i gave him an HD DVD player for his b-day

Yes I was. It wasn't until I saw some stellar HD content on that sucker (The Thing in particular - sorry to keep bringing it up, but the transfer on that is just :stunned: - speaking of which, Dj, have you see The Thing on BR? is the quality just as good as the HD-DVD?)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I Am Legend looks great. Is it me, or was the non-theatrical ending of that flick WAY better? I personally thought so.

Legion2213
30-Jun-2010, 08:13 PM
Yes I was. It wasn't until I saw some stellar HD content on that sucker (The Thing in particular - sorry to keep bringing it up, but the transfer on that is just :stunned: - speaking of which, Dj, have you see The Thing on BR? is the quality just as good as the HD-DVD?)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I Am Legend looks great. Is it me, or was the non-theatrical ending of that flick WAY better? I thought so.

The alternate ending made way more sense...the theatrical one sucked and made Neville out to be a bit of tool really.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Jun-2010, 08:17 PM
The Thing - HD DVD Review
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/190/thing1982.html

The Thing - Blu-Ray Review
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1662/thing1982.html

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 08:18 PM
speaking from experience?

With whores no. With teeth scrapes unfortunatley yes. :lol:

Some people just don't understand how hard it is to get a good blow job now days.

Perhaps i should give whores a try. They have alot of experience and are bound to give a better BJ. They livlihood depends on it after all.

LouCipherr
30-Jun-2010, 08:22 PM
Some people just don't understand how hard it is to get a good blow job now days.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 08:23 PM

The Dark Knight is still probably the best looking Blu Ray i've seen. The stuff shot in Imax is AMAZING....

darth los
30-Jun-2010, 08:27 PM
^^^^

Perhaps because they tried to use as little cgi as possible had something to do with that.

The fact that Bale actually did some real daredevil stuff like teetering on that skyscraping is unbelievable.

bassman
30-Jun-2010, 08:30 PM
Yeah the practical effects help elevate it, but i'm talking more about the picture quality. My mouth still drops everytime the film starts with that helicopter shot over Chicago *ahem*....I mean Gotham. Really great looking Blu Ray. The flick could use a special edition, though.

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2010, 10:32 AM
And another thing that fucks me off - you have to go and buy all your shit again on Blu-Ray. SOD OFF with that. :D

I've re-bought stuff I had on VHS on DVD plenty of times, and I've even got a couple of double-ups on DVD ... I simply cannot afford BR. I can't afford a TV big enough to make it worthwhile, I can't afford a quality player, and I can't afford to buy all the fucking discs - which are just going to change in a few months or something bullshit anyway, so why the fuck am I going to get into it all when it's still in its infancy as a format.

I didn't get into DVD (which began in, what, 1997) until 2002. It was Neil in fact, he posted about a DVD of Night (unfortunately the soundtrack was replaced though :() for £1.50 and that was my first DVD, and it was Xmas 2002 that I got my first - and current - DVD player.

I've had that for 7.5 years now. THAT'S the longevity I speak of.

And as for connectivity - yeah - what about people who A) Don't have the internet and B) Don't have the internet in the same room as their BR player?

It's the same thing with XBL and DRM on PC games - fucking WANK, so it is.

Trust me, BR and BR related tech isn't simple enough - you've got to know about "profiles" and the right HD cable, and you've got to get the right kind of player, and you've got to know the difference between 720p, 1080p and 1080i - there are still plenty of people in the world who don't get the difference between Pan & Scan and true widescreen, so how the fuck are these people going to understand BR?!

When idiots and technophobes can understand it and use it with ease - then you'll get mass-up-take ... as well as making it as consistently cheap as DVD currently is.

DVD was a big change from VHS, and so the up-take was relatively quick. Once it got a toe-hold and became simple and cheap enough, it exploded. But there was a real purpose in upgrading.

DVD to BR - for the masses - just isn't the same leap by any stretch of the imagination. The up-take is going to be long and prolonged, especially in the fallout from the recession - it's yet another reason why 3D TV is so fucking retarded.

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 11:59 AM
And another thing that fucks me off - you have to go and buy all your shit again on Blu-Ray. SOD OFF with that.

Not true. DVD's play fine on BR players. In fact, they play better. I still own and use every dvd I had before BR came along.

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2010, 12:04 PM
Not true. DVD's play fine on BR players. In fact, they play better. I still own and use every dvd I had before BR came along.
Well yeah, I knew that - it'd be seriously useless if BR players didn't "do" DVDs ... but I mean, if the point in BR is to have this "awesome" picture, then surely you'll just end up re-buying a bunch of flicks you've already got on DVD. That's the danger at least, and no doubt you lot have been re-buying stuff you've got on DVD but on BR ... you have, haven't you all? :sneaky:

That's what I was meaning by "buy all your shit again".

http://www.digitaltrends.com/entertainment/blu-ray-sales-fail-to-live-up-to-expectations/

Some interesting things in here. Yes there is an expected upwards trend in BR sales (most noticeable in the USA though, rather than internationally), but even still there is a downwards trend across all media purchasing, and DVD remains the biggest player.

Some snippets:

The hardware sales for blu-ray were down, but of the people that bought blu-ray players, including PS3s, owners bought a meager 1.5 movies per household. The report suggests that DVDs remain “good enough” for most titles, and the cost simply cannot be justified by most households.
Again - perceived quality and worth, as well as cost.

Avatar did not show significantly higher numbers than most other releases. From those that did buy it, the majority bought the less expensive DVD copy.
A combo of less people wanting to buy it, people not wanting to get a vanilla release when a double-dip is coming up, and people not being lured by "omfg Avatar on Blu-Ray!!1!11!!!1!"

And in the linked article at the head of the thread:

Just in case you thought the Blu-ray world wasn’t already complicated enough, what with firmware upgrades, 3D capability, HDMI 1.4a support, built-in capability to tap into Internet streaming services and, right, praying for your favorite movies to finally come out on Blu-ray, there’s a new wrinkle on the horizon:
Again - complexity. You're not going to get mass-uptake with all this nonsense.

People in general and en mass just wanna watch a fucking movie, not deal with all that shit and more.

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 12:09 PM
Just a few of my favorites. It's not like i'm out re-buying my entire collection. I think i've purchased maybe 5 or 10 BR's that I own on DVD. And every one of them was worth it.:cool:

MikePizzoff
01-Jul-2010, 12:30 PM
i lost interest when they said "oh ur blu ray player has to have a constant internet connection to have updated firmware.

:rockbrow: It doesn't say that anywhere in that article. You can also update your firmware with discs, if you can't connect to the internet.

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 12:44 PM
Trust me, BR and BR related tech isn't simple enough - you've got to know about "profiles" and the right HD cable, and you've got to get the right kind of player, and you've got to know the difference between 720p, 1080p and 1080i - there are still plenty of people in the world who don't get the difference between Pan & Scan and true widescreen, so how the fuck are these people going to understand BR?!

You are making it WAY too difficult, dude! :lol:

"Profiles" - nothing more than the latest firmware. Same for your computer or a hard drive or a DVD-ROM/RW drive. It's just a firmware upgrade. If your player is hooked to the 'net, you just check once in a blue moon for an upgrade. We do that all the time for our computers - how hard can it be?! :lol: If you put in disc and have old firmware, the thing will tell you "go check for the latest profile/update" - go into your menu, click "update." Damn, that was difficult. :lol: :lol:

Cables? You only have 2 choices for the most part - component & HDMI. The others don't matter. Now how hard is that? Hook it up to your TV using whatever input your TV has. HDMI is best, component is 2nd in line. Have we lost you yet? :p

720p, 1080p, and 1080i - while some people don't understand that, YOU of all people do! :lol: you cannot tell me that's confusing for you. :p

All that shit about 3D and all that other bullshit, ignore it. 3D in the home will never take off until they can figure out how to do it without the glasses. Right now, 3D in the theater is their last-ditch attempt at trying to circumvent piracy. heh, I keep thinking of the "trying to put a band-aid on cancer" analogy.

I think the only real "research" you need to do is to make sure you get a player that has a ethernet port on the back and that the player has outputs (component, HDMI) that will connect to your TV. Not very hard to do imo.

The people who don't understand that stuff shouldn't have it anyway and should stick with their SD dvd player. If you DO understand it, and dammit MZ, I know you do! :p Then it should be no problem to understand profiles, cables & resolution.

Now, as far as re-puchasing your DVD catalog in BR - hell no! I own a shit-ton of DVD's, but guess how many BR discs I have? less than 20. Only buy the shit you know is a worthwhile upgrade. If it's not, then stick with the standard DVD disc and let your player up-convert it.

Hell man, I have this HD-DVD player Dj gave me for my b-day - and while inetvideo.com is selling all their HD-DVD's now for $1 to $3 each, I STILL won't buy them - why? 'cause I already have about 20 HD-DVDs, and each one of them I carefully selected by making sure they were worthwhile upgrades from the SD. And, to top it all off, if I have it on HD-DVD? I'm NOT buying it on BR.

It's much easier than you think. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jul-2010, 01:57 PM
What Lou said... you're making it too difficult MZ.

Buy a TV, Buy and HDMI cable
Hook HDMI cable from BR player to back of TV

Watch movies

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 02:10 PM
It's getting harder and harder to complain about Blu Ray...

-Now the discs are as cheap, if not cheaper than DVD.
-HDTV's are the only tvs available, so everyone will have one sooner or later.
-BR players are getting cheaper, as well.

It's bascially caught up with DVD. All you need is the player and you're in business. As long as you don't make it a long and difficult process like MZ seems to think.:p

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 02:15 PM
Buy a TV, Buy and HDMI cable
Hook HDMI cable from BR player to back of TV

Watch movies

Now that was funny...

and as they saying goes, "It's funny 'cause it's true!" :D

-HDTV's are the only tvs available, so everyone will have one sooner or later.
-BR players are getting cheaper, as well.

*nods head in agreement*

Legion2213
01-Jul-2010, 03:49 PM
None of my major TV series are even available on BD...

Farscape, Lexx, SG-1, SG-A, Babylon 5, Sherlock Holmes, Poirot, Survivors, most of my comedy series and a good number of movies are all DVD and will be DVD for the forseeable future.

My main BD discs are "must haves" "all time favorites" and new releases that I expect to look good.

(I update my firmware with a flash drive BTW, had to do that twice, took all of two minutes). :)

MZ is like a Blu-Ray dinosaur man! :D

Edit: Did replace my entire "Battlestar Galactica" series on Blu Ray - And Holy fuck! It sure looks sweet!

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 03:54 PM
I've got one complaint about BR and it's set up. Why the fuck are some HDMI cords so expensive?? For certain 3-6 foot HDMI cords you're looking at about 30-50 dollars. WTF?

Are some of them made of gold or something?

Legion2213
01-Jul-2010, 04:01 PM
I've got one complaint about BR and it's set up. Why the fuck are some HDMI cords so expensive?? For certain 3-6 foot HDMI cords you're looking at about 30-50 dollars. WTF?

I got a kick ass "Monster" cable for about £20 but it's retail price was over £100!

Shows that they just mark up the price when they hit the main chain stores, they do the same with hi-fi interconnects and speaker cables because they don't make great profits on the actual electronic gear they sell.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jul-2010, 04:06 PM

www.monoprice.com

all HDMI cables are the same why pay $100 for something you can get for $6.00

darth los
01-Jul-2010, 04:41 PM
When they over charge for something like that you're mostly paying for a name brand. If you check the specs you'd see that they're exactly the same.

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 05:22 PM
Never, ever UNDER ANY GODDAMN CIRCUMSTANCES buy ANY cables made by "Monster" - espiecally their $100 HDMI cables. Fuck Monster and their overpriced, over-hyped garbage.

Dj is right - www.monoprice.com - get all your cable needs (and a bunch of other stuff) directly from them. The EXACT same "Monster" cable that costs $100 (gold plated, ferrite core) is around $6-8 USD and is the same quality and build.

I'll never understand how Best Buy sells those $100 HDMI Monster cables with a clear conscience. :mad:

darth los
01-Jul-2010, 05:32 PM
Never, ever UNDER ANY GODDAMN CIRCUMSTANCES buy ANY cables made by "Monster" - espiecally their $100 HDMI cables. Fuck Monster and their overpriced, over-hyped garbage.

Dj is right - www.monoprice.com - get all your cable needs (and a bunch of other stuff) directly from them. The EXACT same "Monster" cable that costs $100 (gold plated, ferrite core) is around $6-8 USD and is the same quality and build.

I'll never understand how Best Buy sells those $100 HDMI Monster cables with a clear conscience. :mad:

Because like many other things in our society, the sheeple are uninformed and don't know better.

They figure you get what you pay for and it must be that much more expensive for a reason. They defer to the "expertise" of these guys and get fleeced in the process.

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2010, 05:41 PM
You are making it WAY too difficult, dude! :lol:

720p, 1080p, and 1080i - while some people don't understand that, YOU of all people do! :lol: you cannot tell me that's confusing for you. :p

The people who don't understand that stuff shouldn't have it anyway and should stick with their SD dvd player. If you DO understand it, and dammit MZ, I know you do! :p Then it should be no problem to understand profiles, cables & resolution.

Now, as far as re-puchasing your DVD catalog in BR - hell no! I own a shit-ton of DVD's, but guess how many BR discs I have? less than 20. Only buy the shit you know is a worthwhile upgrade. If it's not, then stick with the standard DVD disc and let your player up-convert it.

1) No, the motherfuckers that force everyone to buy all this shit are making it too complex.

2) The 720p etc thing doesn't confuse me much - but that's not the point - I'm not like the average tech-schlub out there, and as everyone knows, the masses are idiots. They can't figure out this information - they can barely grasp Pan & Scan versus Widescreen, so how the fuck are they going to figure out 1080p versus 1080i - even I don't know wtf that's about (I've not been interested, so haven't wasted my time on it - if I'm not buying into all this shit, why research it, in other words. :D)

3) A bit fascistic to deny people technological advances (people with handfuls of cash they're retardedly desperate to fritter away with no idea) - especially when, one day, it'll overtake and they'll have no options. Again - for mass up-take, it's got to be cheap and retard-proof.

4) If you're only getting a few BR's, then what's the point? It's too early for most as a result.

MZ is like a Blu-Ray dinosaur man! :D

You bet your ass I am - I'm a Tyranosaurus-Awesome! :cool:

all HDMI cables are the same why pay $100 for something you can get for $6.00

I had heard that really cheap HDMI cables weren't as good as decent cables (some techno-babble I don't understand) - not the really expensive ones, as those are - indeed - overpriced nonsense (*ahem* what was I saying about expense, again? :sneaky) ... so you have to get one that's about £20 ... and fuck me, the cable should come with the fucking unit. I mean goddamn, people.

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 05:57 PM
:lol: Expense.

You have the tv. 150-200 bucks for the player. 20 bucks for a cord.

So that's 220. About the same for a top of the line DVD player. Expensive!!!:p

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jul-2010, 06:21 PM
I had heard that really cheap HDMI cables weren't as good as decent cables (some techno-babble I don't understand) - not the really expensive ones, as those are - indeed - overpriced nonsense (*ahem* what was I saying about expense, again? :sneaky) ... so you have to get one that's about £20 ... and fuck me, the cable should come with the fucking unit. I mean goddamn, people.

All Bullshit MZ, all of it Bullshit.

I worked for the company that made OEM Harley Davidson batteries and the same exact thing, just different color case for Aftermarket brands, yet Harley went on this tirade in the press about Non Harley OEM parts and what not... that was when the owner of the company went on record to say they are mfg. exactly the same. One has a name stamped on it that you pay for, the other does not and you save $75.00

Trust me MZ, all HDMI cables are made the same using the same material and process. even my Verizon FIOS guy told me that, although he didn't need too as I was using HDMI before he came around, but he was kind enough to give 10 extra cables so I have extras.

Stop being a cheap ass and go buy a fucking BR player. :D

MikePizzoff
01-Jul-2010, 06:46 PM

Where are you seeing Blu Ray movies for cheaper than DVD's??? Everywhere I've seen it's still the same as it was before: new Blu Rays = $19.99-29.99 ; new DVD's = $9.99-17.99

darth los
01-Jul-2010, 06:58 PM
I've seen blu rays on sale for as cheap as 10 bucks but that's a very select group.

bassman
01-Jul-2010, 07:00 PM
Well if you go into a big store like Wal Mart or Best Buy the new releases are more expensive, but if you look in the right place they're cheap. If you must get them from one of those stores, give it a week or two and they mark them down considerably. They raise the prices like a mother fucker when it's new....

I prefer Amazon and the like for my purchases. Most of my Blu Rays came from there and were less than 10 bucks.

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 07:10 PM
1) No, the motherfuckers that force everyone to buy all this shit are making it too complex.

How so? Just like Dj said. Get a player (with an ethernet port), get a disc, get the TV - which I think you already have - and get the cable. How hard is that? :lol: The only way it gets "complex" is when someone makes it more complex than it needs to be. MZ, trust us, both Dj and I have been around the block with this stuff (him more so than I, but I learned REAL quick) and we would never point ya in the wrong direction. ;)

The 720p etc thing doesn't confuse me much - but that's not the point

Yes it is this point you coovan snorting nut! :lol: We're talking about a BR player for you, not the technically less advances schlubs out there. :p

and as everyone knows, the masses are idiots. They can't figure out this information - they can barely grasp Pan & Scan versus Widescreen, so how the fuck are they going to figure out 1080p versus 1080i - even I don't know wtf that's about

You're telling me you don't know the difference between 1080i and 1080p? Or the difference between pan & scan and WS? I definitely think you've been hitting the coovan with Zombie Man. :lol:

i = interlaced scan
p = progressive scan

If you're only getting a few BR's, then what's the point? It's too early for most as a result.

Because the difference between HD and non-HD is astounding if you get the right discs. The ONLY reason I only have "a few" is because of the studios and their inconsistent remastering of discs. I seek out the "Best of the best... SIR!" :lol: I don't but shit I already have on HD-DVD or that isn't worth the upgrade. Like I said, we're in a transition period of the "dvd-to-BR" era, and some studios don't want to take the time to remaster movies correctly, but some of them do a STELLAR job of remastering the discs - so much so it makes the Standard Def DVD look like it was filmed the first week movie cameras were invented. As technology progresses in the scanning & remastering of these movies to HD, all the studios will catch up, buy new equipment for this purpose and start cranking out EXCELLENT versions of every BR. It's just a matter of time, and not that much either. Remember, "Moore's Law" ;)

I agree, but your printer doesn't come with a cable either, does it? :lol:

All Bullshit MZ, all of it Bullshit.

Dj is correct.

Think about it this way MZ - the signal on an HDMI cable is digital. It either makes it to the TV or it doesn't. The 'quality' doesn't matter as far as the cable is concerned. It did back when we were using component cables (the red, white & yellow ones) but now? in the digital age? doesn' t matter one bit. It either makes it to the TV and comes out the same as a $200 cable or it doesn't. There is no 'inbetween' in digital. 1's and 0's my friend. :D

Where are you seeing Blu Ray movies for cheaper than DVD's??? Everywhere I've seen it's still the same as it was before: new Blu Rays = $19.99-29.99 ; new DVD's = $9.99-17.99

I see BR's all the time for less than $20 here - sometimes less than $15 - however, the caveat to that is that it's usually during the first week of release. Once it's been out, the price goes back up unless it's on sale...and I still see standard def DVD's going for $17.00-$19.99 USD around here, so I think it just depends on how much of a bargain shopper you are. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jul-2010, 07:17 PM
How so? Just like Dj said. Get a player (with an ethernet port), get a disc, get the TV - which I think you already have - and get the cable. How hard is that? :lol: ;)

Pretty friggin' hard it seems :p

Dj is correct.
;)

Aren't I always?

I see BR's all the time for less than $20 here - sometimes less than $15 - however, the caveat to that is that it's usually during the first week of release. Once it's been out, the price goes back up unless it's on sale...and I still see standard def DVD's going for $17.00-$19.99 USD around here, so I think it just depends on how much of a bargain shopper you are. ;)

Best Buy and Wally World reduce prices of BR's on launch date to below DVD price to swing customers to BR.

However, i do most pre-orders through Amazon which is usually 50% of what the Best Buy Launch price would be... Bargains you just gotta hunt them down.

darth los
01-Jul-2010, 07:24 PM

That's true, but what kind of bizarro universe logic is that? Things normally get cheaper the longer they've been out.

I guess it's an incentive to increase early sales.

acealive1
01-Jul-2010, 08:01 PM
:rockbrow: It doesn't say that anywhere in that article. You can also update your firmware with discs, if you can't connect to the internet.

i never said i read an article,homie.

LouCipherr
01-Jul-2010, 08:01 PM
That's true, but what kind of bizarro universe logic is that? Things normally get cheaper the longer they've been out.

I guess it's an incentive to increase early sales.

I think it's as you said darth - they wanna push those inital sales numbers as high as they can upon the release. I guess they think most of the people who are going to buy it are going to snatch it up immediately if the price is right.

Hey, who knows, remember - $ony is behind all of this, so whatever logic you think should be applied? do the opposite. :lol:

Aren't I always?

Always right? Ummm.. can I plead the 5th on that one? :lol:

darth los
01-Jul-2010, 08:18 PM
Always right? Ummm.. can I plead the 5th on that one? :lol:

Dave Chappelle pleading the 5th. Fuuny shit dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxE_oQBwrdU

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't have the TV, my folks do. The TV I use most often to watch is a much cheaper, lower quality LCD that isn't HD ready. The one upstairs in my room is a CRT that still works just fine.

So in order to make BR worthwhile, I'd have to buy at least 32" of telly, preferably 37" - and I simply can't afford that. That's a good £500-£600, and that's not even buying Sony or Panasonic.

So sod off am I spending the best part of a grand just to watch a couple of BR's ... don't be silly. :lol:

When the telly conks out, then maybe we can think of getting a fancier telly and have BR possibly in mind - but until then - what an unnecessary waste of money and perfectly working TVs.

LouCipherr
02-Jul-2010, 12:35 PM
So in order to make BR worthwhile, I'd have to buy at least 32" of telly, preferably 37" - and I simply can't afford that. That's a good £500-£600, and that's not even buying Sony or Panasonic.

So sod off am I spending the best part of a grand just to watch a couple of BR's ... don't be silly. :lol:

Now see, that makes sense, but to say you don't understand all this BR stuff? We know you better than that! :lol: You're a smart cat and know much more than what you're leading on. :p

MZ - Y'know what's really funny? I echoed exactly everything you said a few years ago myself, so I was in the same boat too (aside from the fact I already had the TV, just not the BR & HD-DVD players). It wasn't until Dj forced the HD-DVD player on me for my b-day that I realized "wow, this is totally worth it" :D

Just know that when the time comes, it ain't rocket science. It is pretty straight-forward. Just like anything else, it's good to read up on it a bit and get a good idea what you're getting into, but it's really not as bad as most think - that is unless you're trying to go for a completely top-of-the-line setup and I'm not sure many - if any - of us can afford that. :D

So I guess you'll wait around until you can buy an air-powered television?

(yes! I got a Zombie Man quote in there! ZING! :lol:)

PS - don't you dare spend your money on "premium" HDMI cables when that time comes either, or Dj and I will go all Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back on you and show up at your doorstep. "Do you post on HPotD as 'Minion Zombie'? Did you say, and I quote, Dj and Lou are 'clown shoes'?" :lol:

Danny
02-Jul-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't have the TV, my folks do. The TV I use most often to watch is a much cheaper, lower quality LCD that isn't HD ready. The one upstairs in my room is a CRT that still works just fine.

When the telly conks out, then maybe we can think of getting a fancier telly and have BR possibly in mind - but until then - what an unnecessary waste of money and perfectly working TVs.

go to comet. those guys will whore anything to get a sale. i got a 50" hd tv with a "top line" hdmi cable, some mutliplug thing that lowers power consumption worth 100 quid and all i did was ask for one of the display tv's, they said they wherent sure where the boxes were, i said fine i'll take it im not keeping it in a box anyway. they gave me some other shit too and it cost me £350. it should have been about £700 for the tv alone. chumps.:lol:

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 12:46 PM
Come on MZ... get with the times. :p

darth los
02-Jul-2010, 01:37 PM
Come on MZ... get with the times. :p

He's certainly fighting it tooth and nail that's for sure. :lol:

What has to happen is a chick he's trying to get with since like... forever, happens to really dig HD displays.

If that doesn't do it then nothing will. :sneaky:

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jul-2010, 01:38 PM
He's certainly fighting it tooth and nail that's for sure. :lol:

What has to happen is a chick he's trying to get with since like... forever, happens to really dig HD displays.

If that doesn't do it then nothing will. :sneaky:

LMAO... yeah MZ break that cherry you HD Virgin

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 02:13 PM
He'll cross over soon enough. I too used to be on the anti-HD ban wagon, but once my brother showed me some of the INCREDIBLE Blu Ray 007 films....I was hooked.

MZ would cream his pants if he saw how great Dr No looks for an almost 50 year old film...

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2010, 02:31 PM
I cream for content, not a sharp image. :sneaky:

I think any guy would go HD if some hot chick said "I love dudes who are into HD" as they suggestively touch themselves. :lol:

Hellsing - but display TVs are used TVs. No doubt that was part of the price drop ... even still, I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see how the fuck hellsing constantly gets these impossible deals and freebies. :rockbrow:

Armed robbery ... that's my bet.

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 02:39 PM

Well obviously i'm talking about older films in which you know the content, dude. Everyone knows the content of the older bond films. But when you switch on that BR of a film about 50 years old and it looks like it was filmed yesterday....you take notice.

LouCipherr
02-Jul-2010, 02:44 PM

I used to say the same about sound... 'till I was exposed to the right flick in HD. :D

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 02:47 PM
Now that I think about it, MZ....weren't you all about the tech in Avatar being great and making the film an immersive experience? Something about visiting Pandora?

That's all BR is. Through the technology they're making a more immersive and engaging experience...

darth los
02-Jul-2010, 03:01 PM
Now that I think about it, MZ....weren't you all about the tech in Avatar being great and making the film an immersive experience? Something about visiting Pandora?

That's all BR is. Through the technology they're making a more immersive and engaging experience...

And when the 3D HD hits it's going to be even more so...

Danny
02-Jul-2010, 03:02 PM
Hellsing - but display TVs are used TVs. No doubt that was part of the price drop

Uhh... WHO GIVES A FUCK!

it was on display so had to look brand new, just because it wasnt one kept in a dusty cupboard where it probably gets all kinds of knocks and bumps as its moved about as stock it's not a fucking amazing deal?!?

Honestly, tell a man how to get a cheap hd tv and he bemoans its lack of a box.

THAT's why im the fucker with a 50" hd flatscreen son.:lol:

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2010, 10:43 AM
Uhh... WHO GIVES A FUCK!

it was on display so had to look brand new, just because it wasnt one kept in a dusty cupboard where it probably gets all kinds of knocks and bumps as its moved about as stock it's not a fucking amazing deal?!?

Honestly, tell a man how to get a cheap hd tv and he bemoans its lack of a box.

THAT's why im the fucker with a 50" hd flatscreen son.:lol:

A student loan well spent...:rockbrow::p

Actually I was bemoaning it being, erm, what's the term? Oh yeah - USED. 8 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week until you bought it. With the way tellys are built these days, they're bound to conk out soon enough, so you end up getting less viewing time cos it's USED. THAT was my point.

I used to say the same about sound... 'till I was exposed to the right flick in HD. :D

Which reminds me - if you're going to get into BR, then it'd be retarded not to get Surround Sound - which costs EVEN MORE - so there's another expense.

1) Kick ass TV of at least 32", preferably 37".
2) BR Player with proper functionality and relative future-proofing ... until the whole reason for this thread comes into force, thus fucking over a bunch of consumers ... again (a mate of mine spent between £300 and £400 on his!)
3) A Surround Sound System.

That's ruddy expensive, right there, and a bit daft when it's really only for a few BR's ... in other words, how I presently watch DVDs is fine with me.

If I was to win the lottery I'd be straight into the nearest Curries getting the kickiest of arse-kicking home entertainment systems ... but I'm not ... I'm a struggling freelance filmmaker who doesn't believe in chucking out tech that still works.

They should call me Captain Planet for that alone. :D

Well, that was 3D - not HD - and it was merely another layer of immersion. What truly sucked me into Pandora was Pandora itself. It felt fully realised, and having Neytiri as a guide made it sexy at the same time too. :D

When I first watched Dawn of the Dead - on VHS, and on a CRT telly - I was so immersed the 2 hours and 20 minutes flew by and I was literally in a trance watching it.

Sod all to do with technology, all to do with the quality of the film itself - that is what immerses me in films. Not some fancy bell or whistle ... there's a time and a place for bells and whistles, but it's always about the firetruck they're possibly attached to ultimately.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jul-2010, 11:49 AM
A student loan well spent...:rockbrow::p

Actually I was bemoaning it being, erm, what's the term? Oh yeah - USED. 8 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week until you bought it. With the way tellys are built these days, they're bound to conk out soon enough, so you end up getting less viewing time cos it's USED. THAT was my point.

Which reminds me - if you're going to get into BR, then it'd be retarded not to get Surround Sound - which costs EVEN MORE - so there's another expense.

1) Kick ass TV of at least 32", preferably 37".
2) BR Player with proper functionality and relative future-proofing ... until the whole reason for this thread comes into force, thus fucking over a bunch of consumers ... again (a mate of mine spent between £300 and £400 on his!)
3) A Surround Sound System.

That's ruddy expensive, right there, and a bit daft when it's really only for a few BR's ... in other words, how I presently watch DVDs is fine with me.

If I was to win the lottery I'd be straight into the nearest Curries getting the kickiest of arse-kicking home entertainment systems ... but I'm not ... I'm a struggling freelance filmmaker who doesn't believe in chucking out tech that still works.

They should call me Captain Planet for that alone. :D

Well, that was 3D - not HD - and it was merely another layer of immersion. What truly sucked me into Pandora was Pandora itself. It felt fully realised, and having Neytiri as a guide made it sexy at the same time too. :D

When I first watched Dawn of the Dead - on VHS, and on a CRT telly - I was so immersed the 2 hours and 20 minutes flew by and I was literally in a trance watching it.

Sod all to do with technology, all to do with the quality of the film itself - that is what immerses me in films. Not some fancy bell or whistle ... there's a time and a place for bells and whistles, but it's always about the firetruck they're possibly attached to ultimately.

Blah Blah Blah... all I hear or I should say read, is excuses excuses excuses.... BY THE DAMN PLAYER AND TELLY YOU CHEAP BASTID :D

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2010, 03:32 PM
Blah Blah Blah... all I hear or I should say read, is excuses excuses excuses.... BY THE DAMN PLAYER AND TELLY YOU CHEAP BASTID :D
There's a difference between being cheap, and not having much disposable income. :rockbrow:

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jul-2010, 04:16 PM
There's a difference between being cheap, and not having much disposable income. :rockbrow:

stop buying all that porn and you would have some money for a BR player. :D

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2010, 05:51 PM
stop buying all that porn and you would have some money for a BR player. :D
Buy porn?!

This concept is alien to me ... you've been on the internet before, right? :sneaky:

fartpants
03-Jul-2010, 09:49 PM
Buy porn?!

This concept is alien to me ... you've been on the internet before, right? :sneaky:

who still BUYS porn nowadays :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2010, 12:38 PM
Buy porn?!

I am very familiar with the internet, but you always complain of slow internet over there in the UK so I figured you had to buy because by the time the video loaded you would lose any interest in blowing a wad on the monitor.

who still BUYS porn nowadays :lol:

You'd be surprised.

LouCipherr
07-Jul-2010, 12:57 PM
Ok, I think we should get a "MZ is a CHEAP BASTARD" fund together and send this douchebag a blu-ray player - who's with me?! If we get him the player, he'd have no choice but to upgrade his TV. HPotD Mission accomplished! :lol: :lol: :p

Just kiddin' MZ - don't worry, the bug hasn't bit you yet, but it will.... oh, it will.. :elol:

DjfunkmasterG
07-Jul-2010, 12:59 PM
Ok, I think we should get a "MZ is a CHEAP BASTARD" fund together and send this douchebag a blu-ray player - who's with me?! If we get him the player, he'd have no choice but to upgrade his TV. HPotD Mission accomplished! :lol: :lol: :p

Just kiddin' MZ - don't worry, the bug hasn't bit you yet, but it will.... oh, it will.. :elol:

I will contribute towards that fund. Maybe I will also send him an HD DVD player :D

LouCipherr
07-Jul-2010, 01:01 PM
I will contribute towards that fund. Maybe I will also send him an HD DVD player :D

Excellent idea! Then we can confuse the ever-living fuck out of him! He won't know what disc to put in, what cable to use, or what TV to buy! Good call Dj. You're promoted to Management. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
07-Jul-2010, 01:07 PM
Excellent idea! Then we can confuse the ever-living fuck out of him! He won't know what disc to put in, what cable to use, or what TV to buy! Good call Dj. You're promoted to Management. :lol:

I wonder if that was the litmus test used here at my current job?

LouCipherr
07-Jul-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey, MZ - so much for expensive: $79 + 1.99 (USD, of course) shipping for a Sharp BD-HP17U (even has the ethernet port for BD Live).

http://www.redtag.com/promo/deal/

So :p

The price and unit are only available today since it's a "deal-a-day" website, but it just goes to show ya, even you broke cheap filmmaking bastards can afford it if you want to. <ahem> :lol:

Now where did I put my poking stick.......

MinionZombie
08-Jul-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey, MZ - so much for expensive: $79 + 1.99 (USD, of course) shipping for a Sharp BD-HP17U (even has the ethernet port for BD Live).

http://www.redtag.com/promo/deal/

So :p

The price and unit are only available today since it's a "deal-a-day" website, but it just goes to show ya, even you broke cheap filmmaking bastards can afford it if you want to. <ahem> :lol:

Now where did I put my poking stick.......
Now you see, there's a problem, because I don't want to. :lol::D

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jul-2010, 11:52 AM
Now you see, there's a problem, because I don't want to. :lol::D

I hear a little birdy talking about you MZ

Cheap Cheap Cheap :lol::moon:

LouCipherr
08-Jul-2010, 12:33 PM
Cheap Cheap Cheap :lol::moon:

Ok, so we went from "too confusing!" to "too expensive!" to "I don't wanna!" :p :D

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jul-2010, 12:35 PM

Ok, so we went from "too confusing!" to "too expensive!" to "I don't wanna!" :p :D

Now I am waiting for "Ain't never gonna happen" :lol::rant:

LouCipherr
08-Jul-2010, 12:40 PM
Now I am waiting for "Ain't never gonna happen" :lol::rant:

Ah, but it will! One day it will.. eventually he'll get sick of our shit and just buy one to shut us the hell up. :lol: :D

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jul-2010, 12:41 PM
Ah, but it will! One day it will.. eventually he'll get sick of our shit and just buy one to shut us the hell up. :lol: :D

You have a better chance of seeing the Zombie apocalypse :D

LouCipherr
08-Jul-2010, 12:42 PM
You have a better chance of seeing the Zombie apocalypse :D

We know that's going to happen too, so it's all just a matter of time. :D

Perhaps one of the zombies will bring MZ a BR player. Who knows. One of those zombies HAD to have worked at $ony, right? :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jul-2010, 01:25 PM
We know that's going to happen too, so it's all just a matter of time. :D

Perhaps one of the zombies will bring MZ a BR player. Who knows. One of those zombies HAD to have worked at $ony, right? :lol:

Knowing MZ if it is a runner he'll refuse to accept it. :lol:

bassman
08-Jul-2010, 01:35 PM
Pretty soon he'll resort to plugging his ears and shouting "lalalala I cant hear you lalala"

LouCipherr
08-Jul-2010, 02:33 PM

LMFGDAO! You owe my work a new monitor and keyboard now. :lol:

Pretty soon he'll resort to plugging his ears and shouting "lalalala I cant hear you lalala"

I know, right? We're waiting, MZ... we're waiting... :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jul-2010, 09:03 PM
LMFGDAO! You owe my work a new monitor and keyboard now. :lol:

I know, right? We're waiting, MZ... we're waiting... :lol:

I would presume by his silence here today this is now a closed subject for him. :lol:

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2010, 11:01 AM

All 'excuses' existed together simultaneously in time and space.

Motherfucking runner trying to give me a BR player ... the cheek of it, I tell you. :shifty:

*unplugs ears*

What was that?

I would presume by his silence here today this is now a closed subject for him. :lol:

13 hours ago I was watching telly ... and yes, you bozos ain't going to change my mind any time soon. :elol:

DjfunkmasterG
09-Jul-2010, 11:49 AM
*unplugs ears*

What was that?:D

Lou finds you sexy MZ :lol:

13 hours ago I was watching telly ... and yes, you bozos ain't going to change my mind any time soon. :elol:

Wanna Bet... once the new podcast gets release we will be taking donations to get MZ a Blu-Ray player.

LouCipherr
09-Jul-2010, 12:25 PM
Motherfucking runner trying to give me a BR player ... the cheek of it, I tell you.

Classic! :lol: :D

Lou finds you sexy MZ :lol:

GIGGITY! :D

Wanna Bet... once the new podcast gets release we will be taking donations to get MZ a Blu-Ray player.

Oh yes, this was brought up. MZ, you must have a listen. You'll love the suggestion for the first Blu-Ray disc we're going to send along with it. :D

DjfunkmasterG
09-Jul-2010, 01:06 PM
Oh yes, this was brought up. MZ, you must have a listen. You'll love the suggestion for the first Blu-Ray disc we're going to send along with it. :D

:elol::elol::elol::elol::elol:

LouCipherr
09-Jul-2010, 01:23 PM
...and you can thank the evil bastard above for the initial suggestion. :D

DjfunkmasterG
09-Jul-2010, 02:31 PM
...and you can thank the evil bastard above for the initial suggestion. :D

What did I do? :evil::elol:

LouCipherr
09-Jul-2010, 04:37 PM
What did I do? :evil::elol:

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID! :lol:

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2010, 05:28 PM
You'll have to start a fund for "...and he'll need a HD ready TV, cos he hasn't got one" fund. :D I have a CRT in my bedroom (SD) and the LCD isn't HD ready and 20" in size.

And bung in a slush fund for "...and he'll also need surround sound". :D

I guarantee you the suggestion was Yawn04. GUARANTEED. I can read you BR bozos like a book with large type and cartoons in it. :p

LouCipherr
09-Jul-2010, 05:38 PM
You'll have to start a fund for "...and he'll need a HD ready TV, cos he hasn't got one" fund. :D I have a CRT in my bedroom (SD) and the LCD isn't HD ready and 20" in size.

And bung in a slush fund for "...and he'll also need surround sound". :D

I guarantee you the suggestion was Yawn04. GUARANTEED. I can read you BR bozos like a book with large type and cartoons in it. :p

Hey, we can start an HDTV and Surround fund too, but one thing at a time, fucker! :lol:

As far as the movie suggestion - you sure about that? You mean there's not a movie you hate more than Dawn04? :elol:

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey, we can start an HDTV and Surround fund too, but one thing at a time, fucker! :lol:

As far as the movie suggestion - you sure about that? You mean there's not a movie you hate more than Dawn04? :elol:
Well, knowing you guys, I figured it'd be Yawn04 as the suggestion. :lol:

I'm trying to think of another title, but I don't think I've ever been as vocally opposed to a movie as that ... aside from Ghey08. :lol:

LouCipherr
09-Jul-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, knowing you guys, I figured it'd be Yawn04 as the suggestion. :lol:

I'm trying to think of another title, but I don't think I've ever been as vocally opposed to a movie as that ... aside from Ghey08. :lol:

I'll never tell.... :elol: You'll just have to listen to find out. :D

...and hey, MZ, don't feel bad - Dj wanted to change my name on the show to "Cletus the Love Sponge" (the same thing we call my Beagle) so his evilness runs deep. I'm talking Marianas Trench deep! :lol:

I think Dj will have it up online sometime tonight on wetnwildradio.com (http://www.wetnwildradio.com), so keep an eye out for it.

DjfunkmasterG
09-Jul-2010, 06:19 PM
I was going to be really cruel and send you DAWN 04 and when you threw it away I would have then asked did you bother to open the case... cause I was going to hide the original DAWN blu-ray inside it, then I could bust your balls and say you binned the original DAWN.... you hater. :elol:

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2010, 06:39 PM
I was going to be really cruel and send you DAWN 04 and when you threw it away I would have then asked did you bother to open the case... cause I was going to hide the original DAWN blu-ray inside it, then I could bust your balls and say you binned the original DAWN.... you hater. :elol:

Oh I see ... you devious fucker ... but take note, I'd never throw away a free gift. :D

At most I'd flog it to a mate, and then - in this hypothetical situation - be told it wasn't the right movie, and then the sale would either remain (thus infecting another person with the goodness of Dawn78) or I'd take it back and have Dawn on a third format in my collection. :lol:

Although I would be cheesed about not having the proper artwork, in that situation.

God, Deej, you're such a bastard. ;):D

LouCipherr
09-Jul-2010, 07:03 PM
Oh I see ... you devious fucker ... but take note, I'd never throw away a free gift. :D

Unless it's delivered by a running zombie, right? :lol:

I swear dude, if I could get someone to dress up like a zombie and RUN to your door, knock, deliver it, then say "BRAINS!" and run at full speed down the road I'd pay $100 for the service! :lol:

God, Deej, you're such a bastard. ;):D

WELCOME TO MY WORLD, FUCKER! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Danny
09-Jul-2010, 07:06 PM
ahem*

BILLY MAYS IS ROLLING IN HIS GRAVE!

until you get yourself some deals and savings you are banned from caps lock.

LouCipherr
09-Jul-2010, 07:26 PM
lmfao - y'know, I always wondered why he SHOUTED everything! It's like the dude was on crystal meth 24/7...

"HI I'M BILLY MAYS AND I'M FUCKED UP ON METH! BUY THIS SHIT SO I GET PAID!" :lol:

I must apologize for my abuse of the caps lock, but it was necessary because I had to convey the hell I've been living in that MZ just now found out about. :lol:

*runs and hides behind the couch for fear of Dj*

:p

BillyRay
09-Jul-2010, 08:22 PM

Quick, send Deej a Bible with a sizeable check hidden somewhere in Issaiah...