PDA

View Full Version : Prince quoted as saying "the internet is over"

Danny
06-Jul-2010, 12:38 AM
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/05/prince-the-internets.html

-internet shocked at how out of touch aging musician is.

Now i love his older stuff, my mates call me a faggot but rasberry beret is always on my ipod, but really? the internet is usless? no one will use itunes anymore?

I genuinely don't think this man realizes just how much his income in the modern era will be FROM the internet exclusively.
I can't tell if he thinks we will all go back into hmv clamoring for wasteful, environmentally unsound CD's we will rip once and then leave down the back of the couch for 3 years but this man is crazy. -er. If he thinks we will all up and dump what we have.

I've got around 7200 mp3's on my imac alone. with more on other drives and devices. why? because they dont physically exist. i dont have two bloody walls of plastic and discs. Would you trade that for cumbersome towers of physical media?

No, its not the 20th century, of course you would'nt.

Sorry prince, you crazy.

or mad. yeah, U MAD.

-bear in mind the column is noteworthy, but i though this man had been dead for like 20 years so...:|

JDFP
06-Jul-2010, 12:52 AM
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/05/prince-the-internets.html

-internet shocked at how out of touch aging musician is.

Now i love his older stuff, my mates call me a faggot but rasberry beret is always on my ipod, but really? the internet is usless? no one will use itunes anymore?

I genuinely don't think this man realizes just how much his income in the modern era will be FROM the internet exclusively.
I can't tell if he thinks we will all go back into hmv clamoring for wasteful, environmentally unsound CD's we will rip once and then leave down the back of the couch for 3 years but this man is crazy. -er. If he thinks we will all up and dump what we have.

I've got around 7200 mp3's on my imac alone. with more on other drives and devices. why? because they dont physically exist. i dont have two bloody walls of plastic and discs. Would you trade that for cumbersome towers of physical media?

No, its not the 20th century, of course you would'nt.

Sorry prince, you crazy.

or mad. yeah, U MAD.

-bear in mind the column is noteworthy, but i though this man had been dead for like 20 years so...:|

Crazy. I think there will always exist some form of 'physical' CD or Blu-Ray or what not in lieu of digital downloading/files. If given a choice between "downloading" a film to save (even if blu-ray quality) over actually having it as a 'physical' blu-ray (even if it cost a few bucks more) -- I'd much rather prefer having the physical thing. There's something to be said about actually owning a physical item you can see and touch as opposed to it all just existing on the computer. If I'm just going to watch it (i.e. renting it) I don't have an issue of doing it online -- but as far as owning I prefer to actually have a "physical" copy of it.

With that said, the days of going to spend $15 on a CD or $20 on a film are completely over. I know I won't spend more than $2 to rent a film (Why should I? Red Box I can get it for $1 and with my Netflix subscription I can get each film for less than $1 legitimately or if I wanted to I could just find the film online for free to watch) and I don't ever see myself spending more than $1 for a song. It's just absurd to think that people in today's time and age will continue shelling out $15 for a CD and $20 for a film to own -- it's just not reasonable. Every time I see people going into a Blockbuster spending $5 plus bucks to rent a film I always scratch my head in confusion as to why someone would spend this type of money (and probably says something about why their archaic business model is completely failing).

If I "have" to own a film (which usually I don't, I'm content to rent it as I'll probably just watch it once or twice anyway) I'm not spending more than $10 on it (and I don't buy any new DVD's -- everything from here on out is Blu-Ray). I'll make an exception for a couple of series blu-ray's, but even then that's something that is few and far between.

j.p.

bassman
06-Jul-2010, 12:53 AM
Being that he charges quite a bit more for tickets because they give out his latest cd at shows....I think he'll make it on his current fanbase alone.

That being said, he is kind of shooting himself in the foot...

Legion2213
06-Jul-2010, 01:01 AM
I'll never give up physical media, be it books, CD's, DVD's or Blu-Rays.

I have never paid for a digital download of any kind either, and I don't intend to.

I wouldn't trade my book cases, CD racks and DVD shelves for all the HDD's/flash drives in the world...there is nothing more satisfying than pulling a much loved book/CD/Movie off the shelf after perusing your collection.

Danny
06-Jul-2010, 01:15 AM
I'll never give up physical media, be it books, CD's, DVD's or Blu-Rays.

I have never paid for a digital download of any kind either, and I don't intend to.

I wouldn't trade my book cases, CD racks and DVD shelves for all the HDD's/flash drives in the world...there is nothing more satisfying than pulling a much loved book/CD/Movie off the shelf after perusing your collection.

i used to agree. then i through of the trees and recourses that made them.:lol:

JDFP
06-Jul-2010, 01:16 AM

Amen to this. I agree 100%. There's nothing better than actually holding a book in your hands (especially if it's an older book) and sifting through the pages and smelling the scent of the book with the yellowing pages/scratches and everything. It's part of the pleasure of reading, as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'll be considered as being "old-fashioned" in as little as 5-10 years for this reason, but the Kindle or whatever else just doesn't compare (nor would it ever) to holding a book in your hands.

j.p.

Legion2213
06-Jul-2010, 01:37 AM
Just for the record, I'm not some primitive ludite, I have around 60GB of CD's on my computer at 320kbps for use with my MP3 player, but there is no way that I'd ever go fully digital and get rid of my CD's.

JDFP, you are spot on mate, kindle might be trendy and the latest thing, but our books don't need batteries or a power source to work, and yeah, there is just something really good about thumbing through an old book. :)

acealive1
06-Jul-2010, 02:33 AM
theres countless other people saying more important things that dont make sense

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jul-2010, 12:34 PM
The man is off his rocker.

LouCipherr
06-Jul-2010, 03:40 PM
He got it wrong - the "internet" isn't over, "Prince" is over.

What a delusional nutbag.

darth los
06-Jul-2010, 03:50 PM
[url]

No but his music career sure has-been. (pun intended ) :lol:

:cool:

BillyRay
06-Jul-2010, 04:59 PM
This Just In:

"Prince quoted as saying he's still relevant"

darth los
06-Jul-2010, 05:30 PM
This Just In:

"Prince quoted as saying he's still relevant"

Exactly. When was the last good song he made? The 80's? :lol:

He never got the noteriety Michael Jackson did but best believe he's a strange little spitfuck as well.

BillyRay
06-Jul-2010, 05:54 PM
Exactly. When was the last good song he made? The 80's? :lol:

He never got the noteriety Michael Jackson did but best believe he's a strange little spitfuck as well.

Yeah...felt my first boob to "Purple Rain"...:lol:

acealive1
06-Jul-2010, 07:38 PM
The man is off his rocker.

so was george bush jr. and his father before him, prince was smart enough not to try politics. maybe dubya shoulda stayed in baseball?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

No but his music career sure has-been. (pun intended ) :lol:

for the last 20 years? really?

so the last 20 years for prince went like this, 14 records totaling over 22 million sales(half of those with no record deal or promotional tours)

fulci fan
06-Jul-2010, 07:39 PM
Although I love Prince's music and I hate what computers have done to the film industry, I can't agree with him here. I hope he is right but I highly doubt it. People are too caught up with computer shit. :(

LouCipherr
06-Jul-2010, 08:16 PM
so was george bush jr. and his father before him, prince was smart enough not to try politics. maybe dubya shoulda stayed in baseball?

Oh dear god NO! DO NOT let this Prince thread drift into politics...

for the last 20 years? really?

so the last 20 years for prince went like this, 14 records totaling over 22 million sales(half of those with no record deal or promotional tours)

22 Million "sales" over 14 albums is almost 1.5 million copies (on average) of every album album. I would like to see a realiable source for those numbers. I can't think of even the most 'big name' bands here in the US doing numbers that well aside from perhaps the top 4-5 bands and we know Prince isn't in the "top 5" here in this day and age. Now, if you consider 'worldwide' sales, perhaps, but wow is that hard to believe.

Matter of fact, from what I understand, between 1994-2000, the only album that was any kind of "commerical" success was the '99 EP "The New Master" - has he suddenly done something in the past 10 years to warrant 22 million in sales?

Also, are we sure they're "sales" and not "giveaways"? Does he count giveaways as "sales"? I bet 100 to 1 he does...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/29/new-prince-album-release

Prince's new album may not be available in UK music shops or as a digital download. Although details for only two territories have been released so far, 20Ten, the singer's 27th studio album, will be issued in Germany and Belgium as a magazine cover mount. In Germany at least, 20Ten will not be available in record stores or as a download.

The German edition of Rolling Stone announced details of the album this week, offering the 10-song track-listing and promising a free copy with their August issue. Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad announced the same free album deal to take place 10 July, the date of Prince's gig at the Rock Werchter festival. No details of UK or US distribution have yet been revealed, leaving open the possibility of conventional releases, or similar magazine offers.

Prince's music has been distributed with printed publications before. In 2007, the album Planet Earth was only available in the UK with copies of the Mail on Sunday. Although HMV stocked copies of the newspaper, music retailers were furious. Columbia Records opted not to distribute the physical CD in Britain, and even three years later it is not available on shelves or at iTunes.

I dunno man, just seems.... fishy.

darth los
06-Jul-2010, 08:24 PM
Yeah...felt my first boob to "Purple Rain"...:lol:

Yes but was it over/under the shirt? :sneaky:

acealive1
06-Jul-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh dear god NO! DO NOT let this Prince thread drift into politics...

22 Million "sales" over 14 albums is almost 1.5 million copies (on average) of every album album. I would like to see a realiable source for those numbers.

wikipedia takes their numbers straight from riaa.com......so no they're not 'fishy'

no ones drifting into politics, i was making a comparison

its really not far fetched at all to think prince has sold this many records. you vastly underestimate how popular he is

BillyRay
06-Jul-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes but was it over/under the shirt? :sneaky:

Over. Soft sweater.

Small thrill.

Small boobs.

darth los
06-Jul-2010, 08:31 PM
Over. Soft sweater.

Small thrill.

Small boobs.

Yeah but for the first time i Bet they were as good as double DD's. :lol:

Danny
06-Jul-2010, 08:42 PM
wikipedia takes their numbers straight from riaa.com......so no they're not 'fishy'

its really not far fetched at all to think prince has sold this many records. you vastly underestimate how popular he is

I'm guessing someone's a prince fan.:sneaky:

BillyRay
06-Jul-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah but for the first time i Bet they were as good as double DD's. :lol:

Well, shit, Darth, it's still a big thrill.

I need to get out more.

:lol::lol::lol:

darth los
06-Jul-2010, 08:52 PM

I need to get out more.

Exactly.

It's like, " I can't believe I just convinced a girl to let me do this. SCORE!" :lol:

JDFP
06-Jul-2010, 09:57 PM

Just like how I could make a comparison to how Obama had less political experience than Sarah Palin before being elected to the office of presidency of the nation (and man oh man, it sure is showing!). But no, that's not leading this thread into a political direction -- it's just making a comparison between your comparison and the current political atmosphere. Because this statement has about as much in "comparison" to mentioning the Bushes (Bush's? Bushes'? Ah shit, where's my grammar guide?) in a thread about Prince.

Sigh... sometimes I think people intentionally try to turn threads into political matters around here, and I'm just calling out an asinine comment randomly tossed into a thread that has NOTHING to do with the thread. I'll be the first to admit I've been guilty of this before -- but I've been much more considerate in trying to keep away from doing this.

Back on target... Prince (or The Artist or whatever he is now branding himself) has done some incredible work. Of course, I think his best work came in the 80's but I loved some of his 90's work too. He's also a highly underrated but highly competent and amazing guitarist.

However, hearing from Prince about the "internet" and sales on it is a bit like asking Alec Baldwin what he thinks about the British elections or the pope what he thinks is the greatest film made in the last 10 years. There's just some things that shouldn't be properly answered by others. I know it comes to a shock to some folks, but celebrities (singers/actors) are not the end-all of all world-knowledge as the media likes to portray them. :)

j.p.

Danny
06-Jul-2010, 09:57 PM

I need to get out more.

"feels...Like... a bag of sand-HOLY FUCK, STEVE CARRELL WAS RIGHT!?!"

LouCipherr
07-Jul-2010, 12:23 PM

wikipedia is also able to be edited by users, so using them as a source is not a good idea since they can be inaccurate. Wikipedia themselves doesn't use the RIAA as a source, but perhaps the people creating the page might. Then again, I can make a page for Ozzy and skew the numbers very easily.

Like I said, I'd like to see an accurate representation of his sales numbers. If that was the case, the RIAA is the wrong place to look considering their long history of lying about numbers. Soundscan would be one of the places to find the correct sales info, but I don't know anyone who has access to soundscan numbers.

thank goodness.. you know how this place can get. :lol: :D

I understand he's popular, but how is HE pulling those numbers and some of the top acts in the US aren't even coming close to that? He's not Michael Jackson so I still find it extremely difficult to believe. I'm not saying it's incorrect, I'm saying it's hard to believe he's sold those kinds of numbers when some of the top acts can't even achieve those with massive promotion from the big record companies. Prince essentially has had almost zero promotion behind him for years.

I'm just sayin'.... ;)

darth los
07-Jul-2010, 04:05 PM
Just like how I could make a comparison to how Obama had less political experience than Sarah Palin before being elected to the office of presidency of the nation (and man oh man, it sure is showing!).
j.p.

She has more experience in quitting her post, yes.

So just imagine what things would be like if she was prez. :rolleyes:

Eyebiter
08-Aug-2010, 03:47 PM
ClaIiD9Cu9s

DjfunkmasterG
08-Aug-2010, 09:37 PM
She has more experience in quitting her post, yes.

So just imagine what things would be like if she was prez. :rolleyes:

NO! I refuse, that is just torture. The imagery would be perception overload and in my weakened state I may not survive it.

Doc
10-Aug-2010, 07:28 AM
1xmAC9Qu908

CooperWasRight
10-Aug-2010, 10:59 AM
I personally think its simply a gimmick for sales and attention. In some thread I mentioned this before and it has been brought up... On one of his last tours he included the price of his cd in the ticket sale and therefore counted toward record sales and it bumped his album to a solid number one with hardly and advertisement... The man is a genius... He was one of the first to do a theatrically broadcasted concerts.. and hyped the shit out of it by simply saying it would be he last concerts. He was one of the first artist to exploit the internet fan club successfully by offering exclusive content...He has a massive following and is not afraid to try strange or different ideas.

By saying bat shit crazy things he gets free press.. And by not releasing the album digitally it will make sheeple think it is something special... I wont be surprised if down the line he releases it digitally.

Then again maybe he just went crazy.