PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil: Afterlife Trailer

bassman
08-Jul-2010, 11:52 AM
Ly_izxQsHIA&hl=en_US&fs=1

EDIT: Sorry. Posted the wrong video at first...

Still looks like shit.

Neil
08-Jul-2010, 12:43 PM
The visuals look impressive!?

Wyldwraith
08-Jul-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm interested,
One of the things I like about the R.E franchise is that their movies all take place in a linear progression of the same plotline.

In a way, seeing Alice go from an amnesiac in the mansion above the Hive, to the post-apocalyptic virally-modified super soldier gives me the sense of progress I wanted from, but didn't get, in the Dead films.

For example: At the end of Land, Riley and Co. take off in the well-stocked, eminently useful zombie apocalypse war machine known as Dead Reckoning, intending to make for Canada.

Gave Romero a golden opportunity to follow some of his characters in a BELIEVABLE way from one movie to the next. Does he? Nope, instead we get zombies on horseback and still more Sermons From Mt. Romero about what dirtbags we all are, and how we'll always destroy ourselves long before the zombies get a chance to.

Thanks, but no sale George. I'm more interested in seeing some protagonists I actually find interesting (like the female convoy leader from RE: Extinction, Claire and Alice + the supporting cast) how about, I dunno, FOLLOW THROUGH on their stated core goals from one movie to another.

I'm fairly pumped to see how the whole journey-to-Alaska and Alice's squaring off with the underground-based Umbrella masterminds subplots turn out.

Yes, YES, I know that the majority here seems to consider the RE franchise unfit for use as toilet paper. Still, I put this forward: At least Resident Evil is TRYING to become the oft-dreamed-of Zombie Apocalypse Epic.

Romero isn't even interested in re-sharpening his skills related to the fundamentals, and seems caught in a creative rut I think most people saw coming and understand the base-cause of that slump.

Finally, whatever other flaws the Resident Evil may perpetuate or develop in the future, one thing even their harshest critic would have to acknowledge is that at least the Resident Evil folks are TRYING to craft a truly global apocalypse and either exploring new things or reworking old plot elements from the ground up.

The old saying about the lottery says it all about what the R.E franchise is attempting. Ie: "If you don't play, you can't win."

Maybe when completed we'll all glance at the R.E movies in their entirety and consider them total crap. Maybe the very creative people behind those movies will completely fail to communicate their vision of what the franchise could be.

Maybe, but at least they'll have the satisfaction, whatever happens, of knowing they gave it their all in reaching for the ever-elusive prize of depicting a full-blown zombie apocalypse start to finish.

I hope Afterlife makes tons of cash, because that's the only thing that will sway the money-men from giving the cash instead to some hack who wants to do yet another remake of an older movie. Or worse, another Zomedy.

Haven't been well enough to leave my home for anything but a doc appointment in nearly 2 years time. Just drains me profoundly, requiring a couple days of mostly bed rest to recover from the strain of the jaunt out.

I'm STILL going to make it a point to go see Afterlife in the theater to vote with my wallet, and I encourage those of you who would like to see less derivative drivel and more honest attempts to tell a story you haven't seen/heard a dozen times already.

Pretty much all I can say. As always, have nothing but respect for the equally valid (to their holders) opinions of others here, even those who differ wildly with my PoV.

My .02

Danny
08-Jul-2010, 03:22 PM
Not a big fan of the first since it tried to be a run of the mill turn of the century cash in on the big boom of zombie films at the time but 2 and 3 were fun movies. particularly 3 just because an arid desert setting isnt something we normally see in a zombie movie.

bassman
08-Jul-2010, 03:26 PM
At this point I don't consider these zombie films, really. The zombies have taken a back seat to all the super duper serum laser corporation clone monster...things.

DEAD BEAT
08-Jul-2010, 03:56 PM

Still looks like shit.

hate to admit it but these are the only recent films 2 do it 4 me...."sorry GAR!"

im so there with this 1!:D:cool:

JDFP
08-Jul-2010, 04:00 PM
Eh, can't be any worse than "Survival" was...

I'll check it out when it comes out for rent.

j.p.

darth los
08-Jul-2010, 04:11 PM
At this point I don't consider these zombie films, really. The zombies have taken a back seat to all the super duper serum laser corporation clone monster...things.

Um, that's what RE is. :p

It's about biological warfare. Mutated creatures. Frogs, salamanders and of course, humans.

It just so happens that most humans mutate into zombies.

:cool:

bassman
08-Jul-2010, 04:14 PM
Um, that's what RE is. :p

It's about biological warfare. Mutated creatures. Frogs, salamanders and of course, humans.

It just so happens that most humans mutate into zombies.

Well in my case...I haven't played a game in the series since RE2. But I remember the first two being more about zombies rather than super alice and all the crap Anderson threw in there.

darth los
08-Jul-2010, 04:21 PM
Well in my case...I haven't played a game in the series since RE2. But I remember the first two being more about zombies rather than super alice and all the crap Anderson threw in there.

As it pertains to Alice, you guess is as good as mine about where the hell she came from but she's here now and, imo, it works.

Although, and i think i speak for many other fans, I would have rather had it center around Jill Valentine. :o

And as for it being mostly about zombies, here's a couple of links to the creatures found in RE 1 and 2. I think you'll find them to be very diverse and anything but just zombies.

Go down to chapters 7.1 and 7.2. :)

Legion2213
08-Jul-2010, 04:44 PM
Resi flicks are fun...they don't pretend or claim to be "high art" or "social commentaries"...they are shameless, madcrazy zombie/monster survival horror action fests full of explosions, slow-mo karate kicks and lot's of people getting butchered by T-Virus monsters.

I love 'em for the brainless fun that they are. :)

Sammich
08-Jul-2010, 08:23 PM
The Matrix: Afterlife

Where sunglasses and dark visors are required fashion accessories.

One recurring theme I have noticed in these zombie movies is that asians in north america are IMMUNE to Romero universe and T-virus reanimation.

darth los
08-Jul-2010, 08:30 PM
The Matrix: Afterlife

Where sunglasses and dark visors are required fashion accessories.

One recurring theme I have noticed in these zombie movies is that asians in north america are IMMUNE to Romero universe and T-virus reanimation.

Cause they're all saving themselves for that once in a lifetime role in the next jet li kung fu epic. duh. :rolleyes:

Danny
08-Jul-2010, 08:38 PM

ITT: resident evil.:rolleyes:

bassman
08-Jul-2010, 08:58 PM
ITT?

Like I said, it's been a real long time since I've played the first two RE games, but I sure as hell don't remember them being ANYTHING like the movies....

Legion2213
08-Jul-2010, 09:11 PM
Resident Evil 1 enemies...

http://weskerrocks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=jk&action=display&thread=2587

Resi is a "Survival Horror" game, not a zombie game per se. :)

Danny
08-Jul-2010, 09:27 PM
ITT?

Like I said, it's been a real long time since I've played the first two RE games, but I sure as hell don't remember them being ANYTHING like the movies....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1278622844156.jpg

clanglee
08-Jul-2010, 09:42 PM

Still looks like shit.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh always wanted to do this to Bassman!!!!!!!!!

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=16362&highlight=afterlife

Oooooooooohhhh faced!!!!!!! :p

Danny
08-Jul-2010, 09:51 PM

I didn't have the heart to do it myself, its like saying ghostbusters is not as good as hocus pocus.:lol:

bassman
08-Jul-2010, 10:14 PM

oh yeah...ya got me. Now i'm gonna hang my head in shame.

But wait! It's a different trailer. Nice try, though.;)

clanglee
08-Jul-2010, 11:34 PM
oh yeah...ya got me. Now i'm gonna hang my head in shame.

But wait! It's a different trailer. Nice try, though.;)

Ahhh yes, but same topic my friend. . . Nice Try tho!! ;)

bassman
08-Jul-2010, 11:34 PM
Ahhh yes, but same topic my friend. . . Nice Try tho!! ;)

Ahhh, but the other was about pictures. Nice try "tho"! :p

clanglee
08-Jul-2010, 11:40 PM
Ahhh, but the other was about pictures. Nice try "tho"! :p

Ahhhhh, but it included a video and it is about the same movie. . .AND you have set a presidence with the same type of post previously!!! Nice try "though"!;) :p

bassman
09-Jul-2010, 12:02 AM
Ahhhhh, but it included a video and it is about the same movie. . .AND you have set a presidence with the same type of post previously!!! Nice try "though"!;) :p

ahhh....but this is a ...

Okay. This is getting old. You can suck on my balls.:lol:

clanglee
09-Jul-2010, 12:04 AM

Bwaaa haaa haaa!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Danny
09-Jul-2010, 12:31 AM
fuck it, SAGE.

bassman
09-Jul-2010, 12:33 AM
fuck it, SAGE.

???

Half of your posts make absolutely no sense to me...

Danny
09-Jul-2010, 12:56 AM
???

fgsfds old man, fgsfds.

bassman
09-Jul-2010, 01:06 AM
you young whipper snappers and your cool lingo!

*shakes fist wildly through the air*

Danny
09-Jul-2010, 01:12 AM
you young whipper snappers and your cool lingo!

*shakes fist wildly through the air*

word yo' i be all fsjal'in up in your lawn 'n whatnizzle.

clanglee
09-Jul-2010, 01:44 AM
???

I'm right there with ya Bass. . . Hellz has me googling like crazy. . . and still at a loss.:D

Danny
09-Jul-2010, 01:49 AM
I'm right there with ya Bass. . . Hellz has me googling like crazy. . . and still at a loss.:D

what is it like to feel the ravages of generational age? to know that people have finished highschool now who never used cassettes tapes, bear knowledge of parachute pants or of "new coke?" :lol:

clanglee
09-Jul-2010, 02:52 AM
what is it like to feel the ravages of generational age? to know that people have finished highschool now who never used cassettes tapes, bear knowledge of parachute pants or of "new coke?" :lol:

Care not about that. . .just care that those graduating High school now are young enough to be my children. . . . then the sadness comes upon me. .. .

DEAD BEAT
09-Jul-2010, 04:00 PM
Care not about that. . .just care that those graduating High school now are young enough to be my children. . . . then the sadness comes upon me. .. .

don't depress me guys!:| how about have never had to put money into a public phone to make a call!:bored:

you know kids are just discovering Michael Jackson and my niece says "you were alive when Michael Jackson was famous!" :dead:

BillyRay
09-Jul-2010, 04:15 PM
don't depress me guys!:| how about have never had to put money into a public phone to make a call!:bored:

you know kids are just discovering Michael Jackson and my niece says "you were alive when Michael Jackson was famous!" :dead:

In my day, Mtv played music videos!!!

http://www.bolgernow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/grandpa-simpson-yelling-at-cloud.jpg

And that's how we likes it!!

darth los
09-Jul-2010, 04:29 PM

Bwaaa haaa haaa!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

If you guys were rally old school you'd know that the name for it is BALLZACK.

:p

Danny
09-Jul-2010, 04:55 PM
If you guys were rally old school you'd know that the name for it is BALLZACK.

:p

or even older, bozak.

darth los
09-Jul-2010, 04:57 PM
or even older, bozak.

Yes! Yes! That's exactly the right spelling. In da hood anyway.:lol:

I couldn't remember how it was spelled. Thnx for the assist.

Wyldwraith
09-Jul-2010, 11:35 PM
Used to worry about getting old,
Hit 30 on May 10th of this year. Thought the entire time I was 29 that my 30th b-day would be SO depressing...

So, I hit 30 and learn what everyone before me learned. Nothing, because I feel exactly the same inside as I did at 23-24 (was a late bloomer in some ways). Meaning all I really learned is that the Old People were right and not just victims of wishful thinking.

You really do see yourself the same no matter your age.

Don't get me wrong. Experiencing physical agony 24hrs/day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for the last 10yrs has worn me down in some ways, depressed me in others, but most of all its taught me the difference between the trivial and the significant events in life.

Having a fight and never talking to someone again who was only your friend when they either got something out of it or there was something fun to do: Trivial.

Losing a job where you were terribly treated, incredibly underpaid and totally stifled: Trivial.

Reconnecting with a member of your family you had an awful falling out with years ago, but have secretly really missed and are really happy to have back in your life: Significant.

Guess it's just a wordier way of me saying that 30 taught me not to sweat the small stuff, because there's plenty of large stuff to sweat.