PDA

View Full Version : Whoffa! Battle Royale remake in USA???

Geophyrd
08-Jun-2006, 12:35 PM
Aint It Cool shocked me today. Click here to go there. (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23540)

I don't know if anyone saw Battle Royale, the movie that introduced me to
(Chiaki Kuriyama) Gogo Yubari, the biggest source of guilt I've experienced in years. She's too young to be that easy on the eyes. Here's her imdb. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0475752/)

Battle Royale was an amazing movie. REALLY amazing. Here's the Amazon link. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BBYMA2/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/002-0565147-7544013?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130) and below is my Amazon review . I like it lots but cannot believe it will ever be remade in the US. The plot's pretty simple. A class of high school kids are taken to an island. The last survivor wins. Everyone gets a different weapon. Its a bit of the old ultraviolence, my droogies and the director holds NOTHING back. How's this going to get made in the USA? I don't even think it was released here!

BTW, the book Battle Royale is a really good read as well. Here's its link. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156931778X/sr=8-3/qid=1149770032/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-0565147-7544013?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Here's my review...5 stars from Feb 2004:

What a remarkable movie:
I'll start by saying that my appreciation for japanese cinema is limited. This is due to my own lack of patience, not acceptence of its intrinisic differences from American cinema. I like Kurosawa, have seen them all but I wouldn't likely watch them again. I like anime but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it (although the current Teen Titans cartoon is very anime style and I'm finding that I do like it). The japanese monster movies were good when I was a kid. But that's about it for my appreciation of japanese cinema. If you're a snob about it, well, sorry but it is my review.
I bought Battle Royale on a self-dare...I challenged someone online to find me a movie that I would love that was shocking and relevent. He told me to get Battle Royale.

Again...what a remarkable movie. Its accessible easily by western aesthetics and sensibilities, but at the same time, it is sit-on-the-edge-of-your-seat good. If you are looking for an easy movie to watch, look further. This isn't easy but its very worthwhile and it is one I will not only revisit, but whose novel (on which the movie is based) has already been ordered.

EvilNed
08-Jun-2006, 01:15 PM
It's a good film. But Chiaki is what I'd like to call a "big nose" ;) I found her annoying in Kill Bill, but her role in Battle Royale was great.

The film itself I enjoyed immensly on my first viewing, but I found that it doesn't hold up well to repeated viewings. I find myself easily bored when watching it nowadays. It's a film which has a huge hype sorrounding it, and doesn't quite live up to that. But I still recommend it to anyone who has yet to see it.

In this case, you could almost say that Hollywood is not making a remake of the film, but rather a re-imagination of the book. I hope so at least, otherwise I'll be bored. We all know it won't be as violent and grotesque as the original.

Dawg
08-Jun-2006, 06:29 PM
They had said that it would never be, because of Columbine, blah blah blah. Well, they also said that they would never make a 9/11 movie and there are at least three out or coming out. (Flight 93; United 93; World Trade Center (w/Nicholas Cage)).

Well, Columbine happened in 1999, so it took them about seven years. 9/11 happened in 2001 and it took only five years.

We forget so soon.

:dead: Dawg

Geophyrd
08-Jun-2006, 07:40 PM
They had said that it would never be, because of Columbine, blah blah blah. Well, they also said that they would never make a 9/11 movie and there are at least three out or coming out. (Flight 93; United 93; World Trade Center (w/Nicholas Cage)).

Well, Columbine happened in 1999, so it took them about seven years. 9/11 happened in 2001 and it took only five years.

We forget so soon.

:dead: Dawg

So true.....what the hell were we talking about again?

glsjaw
09-Jun-2006, 12:05 AM
i have a copy i got at a con and i liked it,
a little choppy but non the less good, and a remake would be cool to see how hollywood can buther another film