PDA

View Full Version : first full face transplant

acealive1
26-Jul-2010, 07:05 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100726/ap_on_he_me/eu_spain_face_transplant

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hides*:stunned::stunned:

Yojimbo
26-Jul-2010, 07:13 PM
Weird stuff. I've heard of this type of thing before, though

2009:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519033,00.html

2005: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/First_face_transplant_performed_on_French_woman

bassman
26-Jul-2010, 07:14 PM
Awesome. Nice to see it's working out for the guy. Seems like he's had enough bad luck so i'm sure this is the greatest gift ever...

Ghost Of War
26-Jul-2010, 08:07 PM
Awesome, modern medicine/surgery is amazing. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Looks a little like Paul McCartney, though.

http://crushable.com/files/2008/11/acephotos112863-paul-mccartney_nc.jpghttp://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20100726/capt.photo_1280159818234-1-0.jpg?x=400&y=311&q=85&sig=YAZEDunT6Pi6zO.YFuQWsg--

Trin
26-Jul-2010, 08:18 PM
Truly this gives hope to so many of us on this forum.

Mr.G
26-Jul-2010, 08:41 PM
Considering it was a FULL face transplant, I think it worked out well for him. I've seen a hell of a lot worse from people's original faces.

rongravy
26-Jul-2010, 08:59 PM
Awesome, modern medicine/surgery is amazing. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Yeah, that is pretty amazing. And think about what this means for the future. Great strides...

Also, McCartney?
Nahhhhh, I'd ask for my money back if they messed it up that bad.
On anther forum someone said he looked like Vincent D'Onofrio from Men in Black.
I know it's wrong, but I definitely saw that one...

Mr.G
26-Jul-2010, 09:02 PM

http://crushable.com/files/2008/11/acephotos112863-paul-mccartney_nc.jpghttp://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20100726/capt.photo_1280159818234-1-0.jpg?x=400&y=311&q=85&sig=YAZEDunT6Pi6zO.YFuQWsg--

Isn't your picture of Murder, She Wrote's own Angela Lansbury?

acealive1
26-Jul-2010, 09:47 PM
Weird stuff. I've heard of this type of thing before, though

2009:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519033,00.html

2005: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/First_face_transplant_performed_on_French_woman

i think hers was a partial, this guy apparently blew his WHOLE face off. damn dude, check if its loaded first

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 04:46 PM
i think hers was a partial, this guy apparently blew his WHOLE face off. damn dude, check if its loaded first

Holy.

Fucking.

Shit. :stunned:

I can't help but think of the movie face off. I don't particularly like it but it just goes to show how movies and tv almost always forshaddow scientific advances.

Star trek is also full of them.

:cool:

Tricky
27-Jul-2010, 05:11 PM
http://www.classickidstv.co.uk/wiki/images/thumb/3/3a/Pob_logo.jpg/260px-Pob_logo.jpg

Im going straight to hell...

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.classickidstv.co.uk/wiki/images/thumb/3/3a/Pob_logo.jpg/260px-Pob_logo.jpg

Im going straight to hell...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll leave the light on for ya...

acealive1
27-Jul-2010, 06:54 PM
Holy.

Fucking.

Shit. :stunned:

I can't help but think of the movie face off. I don't particularly like it but it just goes to show how movies and tv almost always forshaddow scientific advances.

Star trek is also full of them.

if u compare the face transplants, this one seems seamless compared to the last one

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 07:07 PM
if u compare the face transplants, this one seems seamless compared to the last one

It' all relative.

well, hopefully the transplant will take this time and he'll get feeling back in his face so he can live as close to a normal life as possible.

Damn that's gotta be lonely.

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 07:13 PM
The link doesn't go into much detail, but my question is this....

If you accidentally shoot yourself in the face, how do you do it in a way that it takes off your entire face but at the same time doesn't kill you? I know there are many people shot in the head that live, but for it to take off his entire face without any fatal wounding is amazing. The guy has someone watching out for him, that's for sure.

I must be getting softer as I get older. I just feel sorry for the guy and glad he's making a recovery....

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 07:16 PM
The link doesn't go into much detail, but my question is this....

If you accidentally shoot yourself in the face, how do you do it in a way that it takes off your entire face but at the same time doesn't kill you? I know there are many people shot in the head that live, but for it to take off his entire face without any fatal wounding is amazing. The guy has someone watching out for him, that's for sure.

I must be getting softer as I get older. I just feel sorry for the guy and glad he's making a recovery....

But if your alive but your quality of life is severely compromised can you really call that living?

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 07:19 PM
But if your alive but your quality of life is severely compromised can you really call that living?

Right....I agree with that. I'm just amazed that the wound supposedly covered/took off his entire face, yet it wasn't enough to kill him.

And with this new face hopefully he'll get back to a normal life worth living. So i'm happy for him....

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 07:28 PM
Right....I agree with that. I'm just amazed that the wound supposedly covered/took off his entire face, yet it wasn't enough to kill him.

And with this new face hopefully he'll get back to a normal life worth living. So i'm happy for him....

Well, let's put our brains together on this one.

I'm thinking definitely a shotgun. I'm no gun expert but it's just hard to fathom a bullets taking you entire face off.

Next we have trajectory. I'm thinking a grazizing shot coming from the bottom up as if the gun was pointing upwards.

dammitt! where are our resident eggheads when you need them.

Paging kraken, Aces and trin!

bassman
27-Jul-2010, 07:38 PM
Next we have trajectory. I'm thinking a grazizing shot coming from the bottom up as if the gun was pointing upwards.

:lol:

Sounds like something Philly would post about Dawn. "You see, if Roger has his gun pointing at a northeastern direction and the wind was blowing south west, the trajectory of the bullet would've grazed the door frame 6 millimeters from the top left corner rather than killing the plaid zombie."

BillyRay
27-Jul-2010, 07:46 PM

It can happen.

Exhibit A:

http://images.picturesdepot.com/photo/d/daffy_duck_and_elmer_fudd-11133.jpg

AcesandEights
27-Jul-2010, 08:02 PM

Sounds like something Philly would post about Dawn. "You see, if Roger has his gun pointing at a northeastern direction and the wind was blowing south west, the trajectory of the bullet would've grazed the door frame 6 millimeters from the top left corner rather than killing the plaid zombie."

:lol: I do miss Philly :(

Anyway, I think it's amazing. Hopefully the new face might further heal and I hope to God he doesn't have to deal with another transplant rejection. Still, it's amazing that he has regained some feeling already and might well recover 90% functionality. Incredible! Best of luck to him.

Tricky
27-Jul-2010, 08:15 PM
I seem to remember a picture floating round the internet years ago where some guy had shot himself and survived it with most of his face gone, the picture was obviously in the emergency room but he was sat up with his eyes open, looked a bit like Dr Tongue from Day :eek:

Yojimbo
27-Jul-2010, 08:21 PM
This is from the french woman's face transplant, I think from last year. First photo is right after the surgery, and the second shows her recovery a year later. Pretty amazing!

darth los
27-Jul-2010, 08:43 PM

"So as you can see Day clearly comes before land. I rest my case." LMFAO! :lol:

It can happen.

Exhibit A:

http://images.picturesdepot.com/photo/d/daffy_duck_and_elmer_fudd-11133.jpg

I always thought that daffy duck sans beak looked identical to flavor flav. :lol:

Ghost Of War
28-Jul-2010, 07:18 AM
I seem to remember a picture floating round the internet years ago where some guy had shot himself and survived it with most of his face gone, the picture was obviously in the emergency room but he was sat up with his eyes open, looked a bit like Dr Tongue from Day :eek:

Damn, I remember that picture. The story I heard about it was that the guy was riding a motorbike, and wearing an open faced helmet, he went over on the bike and the spinning wheel took the bottom half of his face off. He was sat up on his stomach looking straight at the camera, right? I remember saying at the time that I thought it looked more like a shotgun blast.

bassman
28-Jul-2010, 11:57 AM
he went over on the bike and the spinning wheel took the bottom half of his face off .

Ouch.

http://i29.tinypic.com/5qs60.jpg

Tricky
28-Jul-2010, 12:12 PM
Damn, I remember that picture. The story I heard about it was that the guy was riding a motorbike, and wearing an open faced helmet, he went over on the bike and the spinning wheel took the bottom half of his face off. He was sat up on his stomach looking straight at the camera, right? I remember saying at the time that I thought it looked more like a shotgun blast.

Yeah thats the one, it probably was a motorbike then, but I assumed someone had got the story wrong & it was a shotgun because of the damage, it was horrendous :eek::barf:

Trin
28-Jul-2010, 02:58 PM
Paging kraken, Aces and trin!

Interesting you should mention it. My wife works as an ICU nurse with 20+ years in various Level 1 trauma centers. We've had this discussion before. She's seen quite a few face blown off patients. Most are failed suicide attempts. According to her there really isn't that much in the front of your face that is critical for survival.

She has often said that she would like to coach people attempting suicide. Most of them "put a gun to their head" which often means to the temple. This has a relatively low chance of success. More often the person blows off the front of their face, usually the eyes and nose included, but misses the brain entirely. They recover blind and with no sense of smell and potential hearing loss, assuring a life much worse than the one they tried to leave behind.

In case you're wondering, the better method is to place the gun barrel fully inside the mouth pointing up and back. You're welcome.

"So as you can see Day clearly comes before land. I rest my case." LMFAO! :lol:
But since there is some shred of possibility that my arguments are right, and you can't PROVE I'm wrong because all you have is horrendous overwhelming circumstantial evidence... I must be right!!

I miss Philly too!!!

darth los
28-Jul-2010, 03:39 PM
In case you're wondering, the better method is to place the gun barrel fully inside the mouth pointing up and back. You're welcome.

ah, full metal jacket style.

tis' noted. :thumbsup:

BillyRay
28-Jul-2010, 05:23 PM
ah, full metal jacket style.

tis' noted. :thumbsup:

Dontcha mean "Steele Style"?

AcesandEights
28-Jul-2010, 06:27 PM
In case you're wondering, the better method is to place the gun barrel fully inside the mouth pointing up and back.

Yes, to the back, not straight up. Weren't there instances of people trying to commit suicide, but using low caliber weapons dead-center under their chins for straight up, vertical shots that would sever their corpus callosum, effectively lobotomizing themselves? Now that's almost certainly going to be a downgrade in the quality of life...unless the person was clinically & violently insane, perhaps.

BillyRay
28-Jul-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes, to the back, not straight up. Weren't there instances of people trying to commit suicide, but using low caliber weapons dead-center under their chins for straight up, vertical shots that would sever their corpus callosum, effectively lobotomizing themselves? Now that's almost certainly going to be a downgrade in the quality of life...unless the person was clinically & violently insane, perhaps.

I remember a story from a few years ago, where some guy had a wonky bit in his brain that drove him to suicide. He placed the gun to his head, slipped, and managed to blow away the bit of brain that was causing all of his troubles.

(Tried to find the article, but "Self Lobotomy" only brings up Darwin Awards-type behavior, and "Shotgun Lobotomy" is the name of a band somewhere. I'll keep lookin'...)

EDIT: (Still looking, found information about Fronal Lobe disorders, and their symptoms; includes suicidal thoughts and actions. Even if the tale I'm half-remembering is an Urban Legend, it's still within the realm of possibility)

darth los
28-Jul-2010, 06:53 PM
Dontcha mean "Steele Style"?

Ah, touche'.

To a man every person who has watched that scene with me says they would have done the same thing.

It seems the will to live is superceded by the unwillingness to go through that sort of pain for a slim to no chance of survival.

BillyRay
28-Jul-2010, 06:56 PM
Ah, touche'.

To a man every person who has watched that scene with me says they would have done the same thing.

It seems the will to live is superceded by the unwillingness to go through that sort of pain for a slim to no chance of survival.

Depends on your definition of "survival".

Survival of the Dead, perhaps?

darth los
28-Jul-2010, 07:12 PM
Depends on your definition of "survival".

Survival of the Dead, perhaps?

As in that film has slim to no chance of being considered good? :p

BillyRay
28-Jul-2010, 07:26 PM
As in that film has slim to no chance of being considered good? :p

Y'know, I've never been horseback riding.

Nice to know I can put it off for awhile.

darth los
28-Jul-2010, 07:45 PM
Y'know, I've never been horseback riding.

Nice to know I can put it off for awhile.

Life begins at rigormortis.

Dude, everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

LouCipherr
28-Jul-2010, 08:15 PM
Life begins at rigormortis.

Dude, everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

That's a statement I thought I'd never hear in my lifetime! "life begins at rigor mortis" - classic! That shit is sig worthy! :D

Trin
29-Jul-2010, 02:07 PM
I remember a story from a few years ago, where some guy had a wonky bit in his brain that drove him to suicide. He placed the gun to his head, slipped, and managed to blow away the bit of brain that was causing all of his troubles.

(Tried to find the article, but "Self Lobotomy" only brings up Darwin Awards-type behavior, and "Shotgun Lobotomy" is the name of a band somewhere. I'll keep lookin'...)

EDIT: (Still looking, found information about Fronal Lobe disorders, and their symptoms; includes suicidal thoughts and actions. Even if the tale I'm half-remembering is an Urban Legend, it's still within the realm of possibility)That story was featured on Cracked.com in one of their lists. I think it was something along the lines of People Who Cured Themselves Through Self-Destructive Habits, or something. It was right there alongside the gal who was so large that the flesh-eating bacteria couldn't kill her.

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 02:36 PM

That's a statement I thought I'd never hear in my lifetime! "life begins at rigor mortis" - classic! That shit is sig worthy! :D

Shit man. We're just coining phrases left and right lately.

What? You think you're the only one that can copyright something? :p