PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead Question

DeadHoosier
29-Jul-2010, 04:27 PM
Has anyone noticed that in the most-recent Day DVD issue that John's line of, "Shit ... I could do that if none of this was going on," was changed to, "RIGHT ...."?

I always thought it was one of the film's signature lines, and don't understand why it would be altered.

Mr.G
29-Jul-2010, 05:22 PM
Didn't notice it...I'll watch it again. Is this the Divimax edition?

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 05:24 PM
The R1 Anchor Bay releases do have replacement dialogue. From what I've heard, the newer R2 Arrow release has corrected this problem.

As for those of us in the US....the replacement dialogue is on all the newer discs. We're stuck with it unless you get an older copy from ebay or something.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 05:26 PM
The R1 Anchor Bay releases do have replacement dialogue. From what I've heard, the newer R2 Arrow release has corrected this problem.

As for those of us in the US....the replacement dialogue is on all the newer discs. We're stuck with it unless you get an older copy from ebay or something.

Bassman, do you happen to know what the rationale was for them doing this again? It all sounds familiar, but if I'd heard the answer on this I would have thought I'd remember it.

Okay, I posted in my George Romero Dead movie topic for the week, time to go post some nonsense... :lol:

JDFP
29-Jul-2010, 05:28 PM

Really? I have the 2-disc Anniversary Edition of "Day" on DVD and I've never really noticed before (no interruptions to Captain Rhodes glorious speeches or pontificating that I've noticed).

What's up with changing dialogue?

I still have occasional near wet dreams that a special anniversary edition of "Day" will be released with over an hour of footage that was initially cut for the theatrical release that has been newly discovered, restored, and placed back into the film. :)

j.p.

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 05:30 PM
Bassman, do you happen to know what the rationale was for them doing this again? It all sounds familiar, but if I'd heard the answer on this I would have thought I'd remember it.

Can't remember the exact reasons either. I just remember it was a big deal to some people around here when it was first released. I'll see if I can dig something up.

And now that I think about it....That arrow release may be R0, so we're not that stuck.:)

I still have occasional near wet dreams that a special anniversary edition of "Day" will be released with over an hour of footage that was initially cut for the theatrical release that has been newly discovered, restored, and placed back into the film.

Have you listened to Roger Avery's commentary track? He swears up and down for about 30 minutes that in theaters he saw a scene with Logan coming back after being shot. :lol:

DeadHoosier
29-Jul-2010, 05:34 PM
I thought it was really odd -- to remove one "shit" considering Steele's unparalleled swearing. It reminded me of some of Lucas' senseless tinkering with the original trilogy, but I couldn't see GAR being responsible.

krakenslayer
29-Jul-2010, 05:37 PM
Really? I have the 2-disc Anniversary Edition of "Day" on DVD and I've never really noticed before (no interruptions to Captain Rhodes glorious speeches or pontificating that I've noticed).

The version on the DVD was spliced together from several different prints because different prints have varying degrees of deterioration, print damage, etc. at different points in the film, so by splicing different scenes together from different prints, the distributors were able to create the most pristine-looking cut of the film possible. However, one of the prints used was a heavily edited TV version, with all profanity overdubbed. Although the scenes used from the TV print were few and far between, and the distributors tried to "fix" the censorship dubs by "re-dubbing" them from other prints, a few slipped few the net unnoticed.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 05:48 PM
The version on the DVD was spliced together from several different prints because different prints have varying degrees of deterioration, print damage, etc. at different points in the film, so by splicing different scenes together from different prints, the distributors were able to create the most pristine-looking cut of the film possible. However, one of the prints used was a heavily edited TV version, with all profanity overdubbed. Although the scenes used from the TV print were few and far between, and the distributors tried to "fix" the censorship dubs by "re-dubbing" them from other prints, a few slipped few the net unnoticed.

Nice response, Krakers! Thank you. I will lock this away in the old brain pan for future reference.

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 05:49 PM
I believe Dawn and Day suffer from more edits than Star Wars....

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 05:59 PM

I still have occasional near wet dreams that a special anniversary edition of "Day" will be released with over an hour of footage that was initially cut for the theatrical release that has been newly discovered, restored, and placed back into the film. :)

j.p.

And now ima have them too ! :lol:

Kraken's explanation is the only one that makes sense.

Why would such a curse-a-thon of a film have only couple of curse words removed in only a couple of selective spots?

I have that dvd and the man is right. Forward to the scene where they discover the elevator has been sabotaged. Either Steele or rickles has a curse would dubbed over there as well. ;)

And for the record, yes, that Rhodes tirade is second to none. :thumbsup:

:cool:

JDFP
29-Jul-2010, 06:05 PM
I believe Dawn and Day suffer from more edits than Star Wars....

I guarantee if Steele had been a major character in the Star Wars universe then this would certainly not be the case. :D

j.p.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 06:09 PM
I guarantee if Steele had been a major character in the Star Wars universe then this would certainly not be the case. :D

j.p.

:lol: Makes me start to consider Steel and Rickles as the C-3PO and R2D2 of the original Dead trilogy.

Though Steel could also pass as Porkins from the Death Star Trench in a New Hope. Okay, maybe not.

DeadHoosier
29-Jul-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Kracken. My only question left now is ... when the FUCK was Day of the Dead on regular TV to necessitate a CLEAN version???

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks, Kracken. My only question left now is ... when the FUCK was Day of the Dead on regular TV to necessitate a CLEAN version???

It was and still is on basic cable. I remember seeing it a lot on USA Up All Night in the 80s/early 90s a lot and Sci Fi still shows it from time to time.

DeadHoosier
29-Jul-2010, 06:48 PM
I have never seen it. In fact, I only saw Dawn on once, sometime in 2005.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 06:51 PM
I have never seen it. In fact, I only saw Dawn on once, sometime in 2005.

:lol: Odd, as I have exactly the opposite issue and have never ever seen Dawn on TV. Not even on cable!

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 06:54 PM
:lol: Odd, as I have exactly the opposite issue and have never ever seen Dawn on TV. Not even on cable!

They give it on IFC from time to time.

They rate it 3 1/2 stars out of 4. Not bad at all.

:cool:

sandrock74
29-Jul-2010, 08:49 PM

I have seen Dawn on Cinemax once around 1998. It was during the summer, from what I recall. It was the ONLY time it was featured on cable as far as I know.

I have seen Day once on USA and once on SciFi. It is so heavily (and poorly) edited, I wouldn't even recommend that anyone watch it.