PDA

View Full Version : Cheap biodiesel on the horizon?

Publius
31-Jul-2010, 02:52 PM
Just something I found in a Google search prompted by EvilNed's prediction of TEOTWAWKI in 20-30 years. It should have been obvious that the U.S. military would be keenly interested in finding a way to run all its tanks and planes without the threat of oil embargoes from the Middle East or former USSR. Turns out that DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), the same group that brought you the Internet, is already generating oil from algae for $2/gallon, and is headed for the $1 mark:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/13/algae-solve-pentagon-fuel-problem

krakenslayer
31-Jul-2010, 03:48 PM
I think there is going to be a huge environmental/technological revolution centring around algae over the next few decades. Algae is easily cultured, consumes carbon (perfect for building "atmosphere processors" to remove excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere) and can be genetically modified to alter its properties.

slickwilly13
31-Jul-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks for posting. I have been looking at career options, since I am almost finished with school. I will look into this.