View Full Version : Crime rates in England and Wales 'worse than US'

Eyebiter
04-Aug-2010, 12:24 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/crime-rates-in-england-and-wales-worse-than-us-2042216.html

England and Wales has one of the worst crime rates among developed nations for rapes, burglaries and robberies, a United Nations report found.
The study for the UN Office on Drugs and Crime found England and Wales had more burglaries and robberies per 100,000 people than the United States in 2006...

Rancid Carcass
04-Aug-2010, 01:06 AM
See, we are good at something after all...

Now if we can just convince the the Olympic Committee that they are all sports we should bag ourselves a nice medal haul in 2012 - if not we could always rob 'em! :shifty: :elol:

SymphonicX
04-Aug-2010, 10:03 AM
LOL@ Rancid Carcass....:) :D

That's shocking news eh? I guess at least if you do get robbed, it aint at gunpoint (usually)...although I got robbed by some kids with an air pistol once, well I say robbed, they didn't get away with anything - doesn't help trying to look threatening with a spring loaded plastic gun pointing at someone...I kinda just laughed.

Oh deary me.

krakenslayer
04-Aug-2010, 11:08 AM
Something else to bear in mind that would almost certainly skew the results would be the fact that a huge majority of criminal incidents in US inner cities go unreported due to the higher prevalence of organised street gangs. There is certainly some parallel with that in the UK too, but nowhere near the same level.

Publius
04-Aug-2010, 11:21 AM
I guess at least if you do get robbed, it aint at gunpoint (usually)...

If I were robbed, I don't know that I'd find it tremendously comforting that the culprit held a knife to my throat rather than a gun to my chest. :p

Something else to bear in mind that would almost certainly skew the results would be the fact that a huge majority of criminal incidents in US inner cities go unreported due to the higher prevalence of organised street gangs. There is certainly some parallel with that in the UK too, but nowhere near the same level.

U.S. national statistics include the Uniform Crime Reports, which cover crimes reported to the police, and National Crime Victimization Survey, which attempts to add in unreported crime. Does the UK have something similar?

SymphonicX
04-Aug-2010, 11:35 AM
If I were robbed, I don't know that I'd find it tremendously comforting that the culprit held a knife to my throat rather than a gun to my chest. :p

That's a good point eh....guns at least make a lot of attention grabbing noise!

Neil
09-Aug-2010, 01:38 PM

...and off we go again...

And if they were 3ft away with a knife and 3ft away with a gun?

Of if there were two of you out, and a robber tried holding you both up with a knife, or with a gun?

I really just do not get folks who desperately try and suggest guns do not make criminal activity more efficient for the criminal. Yes crimes can still be carried out with lesser tools, but a gun is about as efficient as it gets.. :rockbrow:

Mr.G
09-Aug-2010, 02:06 PM
I really just do not get folks who desperately try and suggest guns do not make criminal activity more efficient for the criminal. Yes crimes can still be carried out with lesser tools, but a gun is about as efficient as it gets.. :rockbrow:

No disrespect to people getting knifed but I'd take my chances with one over a gun.

AcesandEights
09-Aug-2010, 02:32 PM
Interesting, if scary reading.

I watched Doomsday yesterday for the first time (blecch! :barf:) and couldn't help but think of this thread.

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 02:36 PM
No disrespect to people getting knifed but I'd take my chances with one over a gun.

With a gun there's no way you think about resisting.

I'd have to think that being robbed at knifepoint, the thought would atleast cross your mind.

:cool:

SymphonicX
11-Aug-2010, 04:44 PM
I watched Doomsday yesterday for the first time (blecch! :barf:).

yeah but that chick was gorgeous...well worth watching just for her, even if she was a poor man's kate beckinsale

AcesandEights
11-Aug-2010, 04:49 PM
yeah but that chick was gorgeous...well worth watching just for her, even if she was a poor man's kate beckinsale

She is hot, no doubt and I actually liked the beginning and even parts of the middle of the film. It was headed out to be a passably fun post-apoc yarn, but fell down and went on too long. Surprisingly good cast, too.