View Full Version : Avatar Sequels Back-to-Back?

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 02:20 AM
Ok?

Who are these people who don't believe there will be a sequel to this thing?

The question is will shooting it back to back hurt or help the flm.

What effect to you guys think that had on the LOTR films?

I still can't figure out why this film made as much money as it did. I mean it was good but no where near what it was hyped up to be.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/111/1111058p1.html

:cool:

EvilNed
09-Aug-2010, 06:23 AM
Avatar was a pretty shitty movie to begin with, so my interest is very, very zero.

Neil
09-Aug-2010, 08:22 AM
He recently shot some additional footage for the deleted scenes on the upcoming Avatar special edition DVD/Blu-ray release. Cameron is able to do this because he'd already "banked" performance-capture footage of the cast that was shot years ago.
YES! Hopefully we'll get some more meat on the Avatar bones to beef up the characters/story/environment a bit :)

As for two more Avatar films (back to back), I'm up for that. I really enjoyed the first one, even with its simplistic story... So if the next two can carry on in the same vein I'm more than happy to see them :)

Danny
09-Aug-2010, 09:59 AM
Avatar was a pretty shitty movie to begin with, so my interest is very, very zero.

This, unless your easily placable by shiny plants the first was a shit film. i challenge anyone to adequately defend its plot, acting, music or direction without using the phrase "b-but he made terminator 2!" i will bet good money the terms 'jaded' or 'popcorn flick' are the only defense for this ungodly waste of time and money.

Honestly i think this is a bad idea for cameron regardless. The novelty of 3d has worn off. i read a few articles lately about how any films 3d equivalent has made less money than the last 3d film in the cinema. Like a set and steady decline.
We've seen it, gone "huh, neat" and now dont want to wear stupid glasses to have a portion of the film blurred and the creators true vision of the film distorted by them adding a fucking bouncing ball at the screen or some such bollocks.

Neil
09-Aug-2010, 10:03 AM
This, unless your easily placable by shiny plants the first was a shit film. i challenge anyone to adequately defend its plot, acting, music or direction without using the phrase "b-but he made terminator 2!" i will bet good money the terms 'jaded' or 'popcorn flick' are the only defense for this ungodly waste of time and money.

Honestly i think this is a bad idea for cameron regardless. The novelty of 3d has worn off. i read a few articles lately about how any films 3d equivalent has made less money than the last 3d film in the cinema. Like a set and steady decline.
We've seen it, gone "huh, neat" and now dont want to wear stupid glasses to have a portion of the film blurred and the creators true vision of the film distorted by them adding a fucking bouncing ball at the screen or some such bollocks.
I was happy with the film :)

The story was extremely linear and fairly simplistic, and although I would have prefered more depth in that department, I do think people tend to give it a hard time unfairly.

What the film did achieve rather well was to drop us into an alien world that felt as though some layers of depth had been put into it. It was like a BBC wildlife documentary on a different planet :)

ps: As for a 3D gimick, my other half sat there and watched it at home in 2D, and she enjoyed it, and in a couple of places (just like me) was taken aback by parts (strengths) in the film. I'm still on the fence whether it adds something to films or not.

Was it the best film ever? Of course not. But it was a pretty solid, and in places original, scifi flick. It seems people fall into the habit of feeling they need to knock something harder, if it's more successful. And Cameron is about as successful as it comes, so people are knocking far harder than seems fair!

Tricky
09-Aug-2010, 11:06 AM
I was happy with the film :)

The story was extremely linear and fairly simplistic, and although I would have prefered more depth in that department, I do think people tend to give it a hard time unfairly.

What the film did achieve rather well was to drop us into an alien world that felt as though some layers of depth had been put into it. It was like a BBC wildlife documentary on a different planet :)

ps: As for a 3D gimick, my other half sat there and watched it at home in 2D, and she enjoyed it, and in a couple of places (just like me) was taken aback by parts (strengths) in the film. I'm still on the fence whether it adds something to films or not.

Was it the best film ever? Of course not. But it was a pretty solid, and in places original, scifi flick. It seems people fall into the habit of feeling they need to knock something harder, if it's more successful. And Cameron is about as successful as it comes, so people are knocking far harder than seems fair!

Agreed, I enjoyed it, and its a film that I will (and have) watch again. I think the 3D added to it as well, it was crisp & looked great, and the technology will only improve for future films. I think some people are just traditionalists who dont like things moving on, the same way my mate sneers at my new smart phone while sticking with his 10 year old Nokia.
The plot was linear, agreed, but does every film really need to have an intricate multi-layered plot that is difficult to follow? It still came across as more intelligent than most of the teen pleasing dross that comes out usually, including the majority of living dead style films!

bassman
09-Aug-2010, 11:41 AM
I enjoyed it as well. The same story has been told before, but what really hasn't? It was nothing amazing but entertaining at the very least.

As for the sequels, i'm sure I'll see them. Cameron's one of the few to do 3D right. Imax, baby. :thumbsup:

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 03:28 PM
I think some people are just traditionalists who dont like things moving on.

(mZ) :shifty:

The problem with Linear, as in a straight line, is that you can predict where it's going. Far to many films suffer from that mallady nowdays.

Every film we see is something we've already seen before.

And as for a film having to be explained to us, inception anyone?

That movie has confused more people than a little bit.

I haven't sen it yet but it just bears out the fact that audiences now days are dumb and can't really get into anything but rudimentary popcorn flicks.

Neil
09-Aug-2010, 03:33 PM
The problem with Linear, as in a straight line, is that you can predict where it's going. Far to many films suffer from that mallady nowdays.

I understand what you're saying, but there's surely more to enjoying a film than this?! For example, why ever watch a film a subsequent time, if you know how the story plays out?

One of the defining moments in Avatar for me was when Jake took his first day and night walks in the forest. Nothing to do with storyline, utterly to do with visual and mental immersion, which surely is an important element of any film?

AcesandEights
09-Aug-2010, 03:40 PM
You'd have to be pretty jaded not to enjoy this classic popcorn film!

Haters gonna hate?

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 03:48 PM
I understand what you're saying, but there's surely more to enjoying a film than this?! For example, why ever watch a film a subsequent time, if you know how the story plays out?

One of the defining moments in Avatar for me was when Jake took his first day and night walks in the forest. Nothing to do with storyline, utterly to do with visual and mental immersion, which surely is an important element of any film?

The same problem exists in gaming nowdays. I realize i always go back to that but the 2 mediums are becoming more alike by the day.

Sure it looks pretty but it has no soul. Not to say I didn't enjoy the visual aspect of the film because honestly, it was stunning.

However, It depends on what Cameron is in this for. If it's to make buttloads of money, then he has succeeded in making 2 of the top grossing films of all time.

But if it's art to him then surely you want something more substantive, liket dawn for example. Something people will still be talking about in 30 years.

Tricky
09-Aug-2010, 04:10 PM
And as for a film having to be explained to us, inception anyone?

That movie has confused more people than a little bit.

Yeah Inception is a complex film, I definitely got it & appreciated how well it was written, but it was hard work to watch & your brain has to be constantly engaged throughout so you dont miss anything & you have to think on several layers because thats how the plot works, whereas with avatar you could just kick back & enjoy the stunning visuals & action without having brain ache :)

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 04:16 PM
Yeah Inception is a complex film, I definitely got it & appreciated how well it was written, but it was hard work to watch & your brain has to be constantly engaged throughout so you dont miss anything & you have to think on several layers because thats how the plot works, whereas with avatar you could just kick back & enjoy the stunning visuals & action without having brain ache :)

The problem is, unfortunately most people nowdays suffer from adhd and are incapable of critical thinking. Anything but the most simple plot confuses and frustrates them.

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2010, 05:02 PM
(mZ) :shifty:

Cheeky beggar. :p

As for 3D - I saw Avatar in 3D, and that's all I've seen in 3D thus far. It was a cool thing to see as a treat once in a blue moon, but there is sod all point in 3D-TV. It should be a reserve of the cinema, to make things more of an event - but I'm not at all pleased about having to stump up extra cash on the ticket, PLUS paying for the glasses (which you at least get to use over-and-over).

The 3D in Avatar wasn't flawless (some bits looked juddery), and I really enjoyed Avatar - it was one of those "transport me to a fully realised world" movies. Better plotting and character development would have been nice, but despite a script that could have easily been better, I loved it.

I look forward to seeing the extended edition, although whether that's in the cinema or on DVD remains to be seen.

As for 3D, I'll definitely want to see Tron Legacy in 3D - a visually stunning looking film ... just what 3D should be for.

But in general, 3D doesn't improve the script, nor the acting, directing, editing, camerawork etc etc etc ... so like I said, for visually stunning flicks in the cinema, and that's it I say.

As for Avatar sequels - yes please, but with more care on the script front.

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 05:20 PM
Cheeky beggar. :p

As for 3D - I saw Avatar in 3D, and that's all I've seen in 3D thus far. It was a cool thing to see as a treat once in a blue moon, but there is sod all point in 3D-TV. It should be a reserve of the cinema, to make things more of an event - but I'm not at all pleased about having to stump up extra cash on the ticket, PLUS paying for the glasses (which you at least get to use over-and-over).

The 3D in Avatar wasn't flawless (some bits looked juddery), and I really enjoyed Avatar - it was one of those "transport me to a fully realised world" movies. Better plotting and character development would have been nice, but despite a script that could have easily been better, I loved it.

I look forward to seeing the extended edition, although whether that's in the cinema or on DVD remains to be seen.

As for 3D, I'll definitely want to see Tron Legacy in 3D - a visually stunning looking film ... just what 3D should be for.

But in general, 3D doesn't improve the script, nor the acting, directing, editing, camerawork etc etc etc ... so like I said, for visually stunning flicks in the cinema, and that's it I say.

As for Avatar sequels - yes please, but with more care on the script front.

With that said, when viewed on standard DVD the experience almost has to be a letdown after what you saw in theater.

And if a movie is dependent on gimickry to suck you in there's definitely no there there.

bassman
09-Aug-2010, 05:30 PM
With that said, when viewed on standard DVD the experience almost has to be a letdown after what you saw in theater.

It was to me. It wasn't bad per se, but the experience was lacking on a home system. I'm okay with that, though. It's nice to have some theater exclusive films like this and say Grindhouse. Reminds me of the days before Laserdiscs and DVDs brought that theater experience home and all we had was pan and scan VHS.:dead: It kinda helps bring back the fun of the theater. However, not all films should follow this formula.

So yeah....Avatar 2 would be a theater experience for me. After that I probably won't see it at home...

Mr.G
09-Aug-2010, 05:36 PM
I have yet to see the film. I'm holding out until the next gazillion dollar movie premiers.

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 05:52 PM
It was to me. It wasn't bad per se, but the experience was lacking on a home system. I'm okay with that, though. It's nice to have some theater exclusive films like this and say Grindhouse. Reminds me of the days before Laserdiscs and DVDs brought that theater experience home and all we had was pan and scan VHS.:dead: It kinda helps bring back the fun of the theater. However, not all films should follow this formula.

So yeah....Avatar 2 would be a theater experience for me. After that I probably won't see it at home...

All you have to do is spend a cool 5 g's for a home 3-D rig. :lol:

They can keep that shit right? lol

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2010, 05:52 PM
The 3D aspect was merely an additional thing for me. I don't think it makes a movie - for me at least.

Haven't seen it on SD DVD yet, I'm waiting for the special extended edition to come out already!

Mr.G
09-Aug-2010, 06:01 PM
All you have to do is spend a cool 5 g's for a home 3-D rig. :lol:

They can keep that shit right? lol

I can't imagine wearing special glasses to watch movies/tv at home. I won't do it.

darth los
09-Aug-2010, 06:07 PM
I can't imagine wearing special glasses to watch movies/tv at home. I won't do it.

And have you seen how dumb those things look?

Geordi from Star Trek TNG thinks they look ridiculous! LMAO! :lol:

bassman
09-Aug-2010, 06:18 PM

I agree. Those glasses can become a bit annoying. I can't imagine wearing them at home...

That's one of three things wrong with the current state of 3D, imo. The other would be the decline in color and picture quality, while the last would be the "cheap" 3D of converting a film shot with normal cameras. If we could do away with the cheap conversions, bring back the color lost, and maybe make it available WITHOUT glasses - then it will be worth it.

I enjoyed Avatar's 3D, but most of everything else is shit. If they can keep experimenting with it, maybe, just MAYBE one day it will be worth it on a large scale. Right now though? They just need to use it for select films.

And surprisingly i've been reading that Resident Evil 4 has stunning 3D. Maybe using Cameron's cameras will make this one worth the price of admission....

Mr.G
09-Aug-2010, 11:05 PM
And have you seen how dumb those things look?

Geordi from Star Trek TNG thinks they look ridiculous! LMAO! :lol:

I agree....my sister used to wear Geordi's visor in her hair as a banana clip.

Trin
10-Aug-2010, 05:02 AM
I liked Avatar. I thought the world concept that they built was inventive and full of depth. They backed it up with spectacular cinematography.

If the storyline was old and worn out it was a good kind of old... like a comfortable familiar chair. I thought they did enough to liven it up to make it feel new again, anyway.

The twists were predictable, but satisfying nonetheless.

I saw the movie at home with no 3D on a fairly regular sized screen and still enjoyed it.

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 02:05 PM
Fox and Cameron have confirmed that Avatar 2 & 3 are in fact his next films, and will be filmed back-to-back like BTTF, LOTR, The Matrix. The first sequel will be released in December 2014 with the final in the trilogy coming one year later in December 2015.

Cameron's statement after the announcement:

With two new films on the drawing boards, my company and I are embarking on an epic journey with our partners at Twentieth Century Fox. Our goal is to meet and exceed the global audience's expectations for the richness of AVATAR’s visual world and the power of the storytelling. In the second and third films, which will be self contained stories that also fulfill a greater story arc, we will not back off the throttle of AVATAR’s visual and emotional horsepower, and will continue to explore its themes and characters, which touched the hearts of audiences in all cultures around the world. I'm looking forward to returning to Pandora, a world where our imaginations can run wild."

Hrm. :| I can't believe Cameron is going to spend this much time on the same series after already spending ten years on the first film. I really wish he would go back to what he does best. But who knows? Maybe the sequels will really rock?

I'm sure we can plan on seeing yet another re-release of the first film before the sequels, as well...

Neil
27-Oct-2010, 02:15 PM
I suspect he can still get involved with other project during this time. There's talk about him producing "Fantastic Voyage" for example isn't there?

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, and he's doing a segment for the new Heavy Metal movie.

I'd heard on Hollywood Babble-On that he was gonna do a remake/new version of Cleopatra, but evidently that was utter bollocks - thank god for that too, I so don't want to see a James Cameron version of Cleopatra. I don't want to see Cleopatra full stop. :p

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where they go with the two sequels. I just hope that they beef up the scripts, you know. The first movie was a bit lacking/a bit cliched/not as powerful as I was expecting.

Now, I've only seen it the one time, so it'll be interesting to see the special-super-duper-extended-further-than-the-cinema-re-release-extended-version-version (16 minutes longer) next month on Blu-Ray. I really enjoyed Avatar from the perspective of visiting a fully realised other world (moon, technically) and seeing this superb use of motion and emotion capture. Plus I saw it in 3D which was a thrill at the time, and remains (until Jackass 3D and later Tron Legacy) the only flick I've seen in 3D.

acealive1
27-Oct-2010, 07:35 PM

so was the dark knight.

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 07:38 PM
5hfYJsQAhl0?fs=1&hl=en_US

blind2d
28-Oct-2010, 02:27 AM
Dammit Cameron! You've done Avatar! It's over! When the hell are you gonna finish Battle Angel Alita?! The world needs it, man!