PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed II

shootemindehead
14-Aug-2010, 10:48 AM
Is anybody playing this? I never got the first one and just picked this up on a whim. But, while Florence looks great, the whole modern day "Templar" nonsense is really ill-fitting with the general game. IMO, the producers should have just created a game set in 15th Century Italy and forgot about the modern day hokum.

Graphically, the setting of Renaissance Italy is excellent. but, to me, the game feels dead.

I'm just not enjoying it.

Danny
14-Aug-2010, 11:12 AM
i was really put off by the first, i think i played army of 2 longer than that. But ive heard better things about this one. but i also hear its the same "looka t this series of balconies ...yawn" stuff but thats really the selling point i guess.
But when it came to runny-jumpy i preffer mirrors edge.

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2010, 11:36 AM
I was interested in Assassin's Creed, but heard that there was too much in the way of annoying things going on in it.

I then heard that Assassin's Creed 2 addressed all these issues and so I got it. There are a couple of annoying things about it (the odd mission, some combat mechanics, some minor niggles/nuisances, the single automatic save - make sure you update it via XBL if you have it, so you can avoid the save file getting raped when the game freezes randomly during a loading screen - which is why I routinely backed up my save file to another memory unit) ... ... anyway, I really rather enjoyed it. The modern day stuff is rare - for 95% of the game you're in 15th century Italy yomping around doing this and that - so I really enjoyed it all-said.

There are areas for improvement, and hopefully AC: Brotherhood will address these, but yes, I dug it. Played it earlier this year after I bashed out The Saboteur and before the double-fist-bump-of-awesomeness that was Alan Wake and RDR came along.

shootemindehead
14-Aug-2010, 07:16 PM
Hmmm, I thinking of shelving it for a bit.

I have Alan Wake, Call of Juarez, GTA IV and Dead Rising to chose from as the next Xbox game. So, one of them will get doen before I go back to AS II, I think.

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2010, 10:01 AM
Hmmm, I thinking of shelving it for a bit.

I have Alan Wake, Call of Juarez, GTA IV and Dead Rising to chose from as the next Xbox game. So, one of them will get doen before I go back to AS II, I think.
Sounds like you're a bit behind on some big titles ... I'd say Alan Wake first, then GTA IV, then Dead Rising ... haven't played Call of Juarez though, but why bother when Red Dead Redemption is out there, you know?

shootemindehead
15-Aug-2010, 04:52 PM
Only got an xbox last month Min. The girlfriend (soon to be wife) got me one for my birthday. So, I am way behind all you lads.

Tried playing GTA IV last night, but I have to switch it off. The use of "bloom" effects is overwhelming in the game. I was a bit drunk too though. :D But, it would be really nice to have some control over the graphic effects on the Xbox, like we do on a PC. Best thing about GTA IV so far is watching the telly. 'Republican Space rangers' is excellent.

Finished 'Red Dead Redemption', so I bought 'Call of Juarez' cos it was 5 euro and I was on a cowboy buzz.

Think I might try 'Alan Wake'. :D

MikePizzoff
15-Aug-2010, 05:32 PM
Tried playing GTA IV last night, but I have to switch it off. The use of "bloom" effects is overwhelming in the game.

Are you referring to the motion-blur they use to make movement "more realistic"? If so, there's an option to turn that off.

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2010, 05:33 PM
Ahhh, new to the world of Xbox360 thanks to your other half. Sounds like your fiance is a keeper alright. :cool:

I've had so many hours of play out of GTA IV (plus the add-on content) ... something utterly ridiculous like 170 hours ... and I'm not joking. I clocked a good 120 hours on GTA IV itself! :eek:

Hope you enjoy Alan Wake, it's one of those games that grows on you as you get into it and then it infests your mind with its atmosphere.

shootemindehead
15-Aug-2010, 10:05 PM
Are you referring to the motion-blur they use to make movement "more realistic"? If so, there's an option to turn that off.

No Mike. It's a graphic enhancement or shader effect that's used these days. It's called "Bloom".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_%28shader_effect%29

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Ahhh, new to the world of Xbox360 thanks to your other half. Sounds like your fiance is a keeper alright. :cool:

I've had so many hours of play out of GTA IV (plus the add-on content) ... something utterly ridiculous like 170 hours ... and I'm not joking. I clocked a good 120 hours on GTA IV itself! :eek:

Hope you enjoy Alan Wake, it's one of those games that grows on you as you get into it and then it infests your mind with its atmosphere.

I loved the the GTA games since it was a top down PC game from 15+ years ago. Vice City was one of the best games I've ever enjoyed and I don't say things like that lightly. I bought GTA IV for the PC, but was never able to run it as it was such an appalling port. I'll get over my "bloom" issues and get going soon. That is if I don't get utterly absorbed by 'Alan Wake' !!!

MinionZombie
16-Aug-2010, 09:49 AM
I'd advise to stick to one game at a time, especially in Alan Wake's case, so you get the best gaming continuity experience. It can take a little while to get into a new game, so chopping and changing is going to stack the odds against a good title.

Speaking of bloom, I never really had a problem with it in GTA IV personally. I do recognise that bloom is used all over the place, sometimes to good effect, sometimes to bad effect, and sometimes to hide sub-par graphics (e.g. Naughty Bear - although, to be fair to it, it's clearly from a developer lower down the ladder looking to make a name for itself so fair play).

darth los
16-Aug-2010, 02:23 PM
I was interested in Assassin's Creed, but heard that there was too much in the way of annoying things going on in it.

I then heard that Assassin's Creed 2 addressed all these issues and so I got it. There are a couple of annoying things about it (the odd mission, some combat mechanics, some minor niggles/nuisances, the single automatic save - make sure you update it via XBL if you have it, so you can avoid the save file getting raped when the game freezes randomly during a loading screen - which is why I routinely backed up my save file to another memory unit) ... ... anyway, I really rather enjoyed it. The modern day stuff is rare - for 95% of the game you're in 15th century Italy yomping around doing this and that - so I really enjoyed it all-said.

There are areas for improvement, and hopefully AC: Brotherhood will address these, but yes, I dug it. Played it earlier this year after I bashed out The Saboteur and before the double-fist-bump-of-awesomeness that was Alan Wake and RDR came along.

And not only that, you can pretty much get a clean 900g by just playing through it! :thumbsup:

:cool:

MinionZombie
16-Aug-2010, 04:52 PM
And not only that, you can pretty much get a clean 900g by just playing through it! :thumbsup:

True enough. I didn't 100% it, but it's one of the two or three titles that I've come close to doing so on. Plus I really loved all that treasure and lookout hunting. Just clearing a new area of the map of all those symbols was really satisfying. :D

darth los
16-Aug-2010, 05:11 PM
True enough. I didn't 100% it, but it's one of the two or three titles that I've come close to doing so on. Plus I really loved all that treasure and lookout hunting. Just clearing a new area of the map of all those symbols was really satisfying. :D

Dude, they sold me on being able to hire prostitutes!

Now that's bad ass. lol :lol:

MinionZombie
16-Aug-2010, 05:58 PM
Dude, they sold me on being able to hire prostitutes!

Now that's bad ass. lol :lol:

lol, ah the Courtesans ... yeah I got that particular achievement, hehe ... shame you can't shag 'em in the game ... but Ezio does get his end away at the beginning of the game, hehe.

darth los
16-Aug-2010, 06:10 PM
lol, ah the Courtesans ... yeah I got that particular achievement, hehe ... shame you can't shag 'em in the game ... but Ezio does get his end away at the beginning of the game, hehe.

Are you kidding me? That guy gets tail thrown at him the entire game !

And don't you noticed that men like him don't really want it? :lol:

They could care less.

Like they've got more important things to do. :rolleyes:

It's tail dude! what's more important than that!?!

MinionZombie
17-Aug-2010, 09:43 AM
Are you kidding me? That guy gets tail thrown at him the entire game !

They could care less.

1) Oh yeah, he does get some 15th century minge throughout the game ... I'd forgotten about that.

2) It's "couldn't care less" by the way. :sneaky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
om7O0MFkmpw

darth los
17-Aug-2010, 01:28 PM
1) Oh yeah, he does get some 15th century minge throughout the game ... I'd forgotten about that.

2) It's "couldn't care less" by the way. :sneaky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
om7O0MFkmpw

Ok, MZ, you know very well that Americans can't speak propper english so stop busting my balls. :lol:

MinionZombie
17-Aug-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok, MZ, you know very well that Americans can't speak propper english so stop busting my balls. :lol:

Can't or won't? ;)

darth los
17-Aug-2010, 08:00 PM
Can't or won't? ;)

Well, considering the average intelligence of the general population I'd say incapable. :lol: