PDA

View Full Version : the senate has rejected gay marriage ban amendment...

Mike70
09-Jun-2006, 10:10 PM
the issue of an amendment is dead for now - thankfully.

Advocates Revel in Marriage Ban Defeat
By LISA LEFF

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Supporters of gay marriage celebrated the Senate's defeat of a constitutional amendment to ban such unions - and seized the moment to warn conservatives and President Bush that anti-gay sentiments won't influence November elections.

The Senate rejected the measure by a wide margin, voting 49-48 to limit debate and bring it to a yes-or-no decision. That was 11 votes shy of the 60 necessary.

Charles Simpson, 49, a bookstore clerk in Northampton, Mass., called the proposed constitutional amendment ``morally bankrupt and politically irresponsible.''

``As a gay man watching what's happening, I carry this anxiety that this kind of manipulation of homophobia can carry severely negative consequences,'' he said. ``Some politicians take advantage of how easy it is to provoke prejudices and make them worse.''

The amendment's backers announced plans to resurrect the measure in the House next month.

``It is clear that most Americans saw this for what it was: base political pandering, skewed priorities and abdicated responsibilities,'' said Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

Massachusetts' gay nuptials and San Francisco's short-lived same-sex wedding spree in 2004 were credited with creating a conservative backlash that fueled Bush's re-election. Yet gay marriage activists pointed to Tuesday's primary elections as evidence that sexual orientation is irrelevant in politics.

The Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, a political action committee funding lesbian and gay candidates, reported that nine of its 51 endorsed candidates either won primaries Tuesday or earned enough votes for a runoff.

Winners included a lesbian running for a seat in the Alabama Legislature who made it to a two-person runoff, an Iowa lawmaker who won re-election after coming out as gay during his first term, and a lesbian who could become the first openly gay lawmaker in the Arkansas Legislature.

But Evan Wolfson, director of Freedom to Marry, said it was too soon to celebrate, noting that Alabama voters decided Tuesday to amend their state's constitution to ban same-sex marriage. Voters in seven other states will be asked to do the same in November.

The amendment's supporters, meanwhile, angrily denounced the Senate for refusing to put the matter to an up-or-down vote.

Robert Knight, director of Concerned Women of America's Culture and Family Institute, said he was insulted by comments from some senators that gay marriage was not a pressing national issue.

``There's nothing more important than protecting marriage and families, because without them the United States faces a bleak future in which government is daddy and mommy and the state keeps growing to pick up the pieces of the shattered social order,'' Knight said in a statement.

Patrick Guerriero, president of the gay political group Log Cabin Republicans, said it was ``laughable'' to say the amendment was gaining support.

``Momentum is on our side as a growing conservative force stands up in defense of the core American values of equality, liberty, and federalism,'' he said.

Associated Press Writer Adam Gorlick in Springfield, Mass., contributed to this story.

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2006, 10:14 PM
GOOD says I.

I can't believe in this day and age, the president of the united-bleedin'-states is running around preaching anti-gay sentiments such as these. Land of the free my arse, what on earth is wrong with gay people getting married, they're people too. Quite frankly they'd probably last longer than hetero couples, because the gays would most likely really appreciate the right to marriage and really appreciate it.

In the hetero world marriage is a complete joke, it's throwaway, drive-thru-in-Vegas tat. Yep, I'm a romantic at heart ladies and gentlemen.

Adrenochrome
09-Jun-2006, 11:19 PM
Rock on!!!
That was a very smart move on their part. Obviously there are some freaks in the Senate the understand that they cannot control a person and their private tastes/lives.

Zombie-A-GoGo
10-Jun-2006, 12:30 AM
Quite frankly they'd probably last longer than hetero couples...

That's one of the things that's so tragically funny about people who talk about hetero marriage being the best form of marriage and the best way to raise a kid. Give me a break. Most people I know, including myself, are products of failed marriages. Straight people get divorced, they abuse their kids, they cheat on each other, and ALL of that. So, this is supposed to be superior to, say, two guys as parents. So the kids'll be made fun of in school...is that actually worse than any of the things I listed above? I thin not. Besides...kids get made fun of in school for everything and anything, gay parents or not.

Adrenochrome
10-Jun-2006, 12:41 AM
Most people I know, including myself, are products of failed marriages. Straight people get divorced, they abuse their kids, they cheat on each other, and ALL of that. So, this is supposed to be superior to, say, two guys as parents. So the kids'll be made fun of in school...is that actually worse than any of the things I listed above? I thin not. Besides...kids get made fun of in school for everything and anything, gay parents or not.
I am a product of a "failed marriage" AND my best friend is gay -
To quote a song from a band that I loathe (yet, I follow this rule to the fullest)

People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

kar98k
10-Jun-2006, 12:45 AM
GOOD says I.

I can't believe in this day and age, the president of the united-bleedin'-states is running around preaching anti-gay sentiments such as these. Land of the free my arse, what on earth is wrong with gay people getting married, they're people too. Quite frankly they'd probably last longer than hetero couples, because the gays would most likely really appreciate the right to marriage and really appreciate it.

In the hetero world marriage is a complete joke, it's throwaway, drive-thru-in-Vegas tat. Yep, I'm a romantic at heart ladies and gentlemen.

i live in the U.S. and i say amen to that

Adrenochrome
10-Jun-2006, 12:59 AM
SCREW IT! I'm posting the lyrics!!!!! PEACE to all, my bitches!!!!!

People are People
Depeche Mode

People are people so why should it be

So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I never even met you
So what could I have done

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

People are people so why should it be

Help me understand

Now you're punching and you're kicking
And you're shouting at me
I'm relying on your common decency
So far it hasn't surfaced
But I'm sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man

Help me understand

Take THAT, you punk ass bitches!!!!

zombie04
10-Jun-2006, 02:55 AM
I have nothing against gay people. I believe that people have the right to make their own decisions with their lives, however I do draw a few lines. For one, nobody is born homosexual, it is all a product of upbringing. I think of it as a car, being straight is standard package while being gay is an add-on. Second of all, what is wrong with banning gay marriage? Honestly, gay people can be together, it doesn't really have an impact on me and it's not like their rights are violated in any way. All I ask is just the decency to keep marriage being straight people. My parents have been married over 25 years and have done a good job raising me, I have 2 aunts, 3 uncles on my mom's side with families and 2 aunt's on my dad's side, and off all that there have only been 2 divorces (one for the better, one maybe not). However, I think the big reason many divorces happen are because a lot of people are unwilling to accept responsibility and simply ignore every warning sign and rush to marriage without thinking things through. Of course there are times when marriages go under because one or both parties involved are too self-obsorbed to take notice of anything but themselves. Anyway, back on track...my take on gay marriage is against. To basically repeat my opinion, people have the right to be with whoever they want, however I think gay marriage would lower the value of normal marriages. It's kind of hard for me to say what I believe so some parts might not make sense, but I hope you can see the general direction I'm heading in. Besides, why do we have to lower our standards on everything(including morality) just to appease every freaking person in the world?

Zombie-A-GoGo
10-Jun-2006, 03:10 AM
I have nothing against gay people. I believe that people have the right to make their own decisions with their lives, however I do draw a few lines. For one, nobody is born homosexual, it is all a product of upbringing. I think of it as a car, being straight is standard package while being gay is an add-on. Second of all, what is wrong with banning gay marriage? Honestly, gay people can be together, it doesn't really have an impact on me and it's not like their rights are violated in any way. All I ask is just the decency to keep marriage being straight people. My parents have been married over 25 years and have done a good job raising me, I have 2 aunts, 3 uncles on my mom's side with families and 2 aunt's on my dad's side, and off all that there have only been 2 divorces (one for the better, one maybe not). However, I think the big reason many divorces happen are because a lot of people are unwilling to accept responsibility and simply ignore every warning sign and rush to marriage without thinking things through. Of course there are times when marriages go under because one or both parties involved are too self-obsorbed to take notice of anything but themselves. Anyway, back on track...my take on gay marriage is against. To basically repeat my opinion, people have the right to be with whoever they want, however I think gay marriage would lower the value of normal marriages. It's kind of hard for me to say what I believe so some parts might not make sense, but I hope you can see the general direction I'm heading in. Besides, why do we have to lower our standards on everything(including morality) just to appease every freaking person in the world?

I don't even know where to begin with this. Luckily, I'm leaving for 10 days or so, so I don't have to. It's up to the rest of you lot to take this on. :D Good luck.

Cody
10-Jun-2006, 04:10 AM
I have no problem with gays either

BUT <----(yes a but)

The united states was founded under christian ways and last time I checked its a sin to be gay "one nation, under god, indivisable for liberty and justice" something along those lines

im not preeching god but im pointing out an issue here

Adrenochrome
10-Jun-2006, 11:13 AM

BUT <----(yes a but)

The united states was founded under christian ways and last time I checked its a sin to be gay "one nation, under god, indivisable for liberty and justice" something along those lines

The "Christians" are the main reason the US is as screwed up as it is.

DjfunkmasterG
10-Jun-2006, 01:35 PM

AMEN to that brutha!:D

I was raised catholic, however, the last time I stepped in a church was probably 12 years ago. I don't believe in a lot of the churches rules and regulations and the christian law is seriously flawed.

If two people really care about each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together marriage is what you use to show that caring and love. That is what marriage is about. it isn't about 1 man 1 woman. It is about loving someone and wanting to take care of that person forever.

F*ck the gov't and thier bullsh*t. I am all for letting gays marry. These people so up in arms about it are afraid the nuptials will be in their living room... Get real and hey america... It is the 21st century... wake the hell up. Let's get out of the stone age. The way the conservative religious right is going now... burning at the stake is not too far off as another form of capital punishment.

erisi236
10-Jun-2006, 05:00 PM

actully it's not, but I'll NEVER convince you of that :D

and why is pro-hetro considered anti-homo? Just a thought. :cool:

zombie04
10-Jun-2006, 05:47 PM

I must disagree with you on this one. But to avoid any argument, let's just try to respect each other's opinions, m'kay?

Exatreides
10-Jun-2006, 05:51 PM
While I'm not Christian myself, I can't understand that argument.

It's not like Israel is all messed up because of the Jews

or Pakistan is all messed up because of the Muslims.

While it's not the religion itself, it's the united States goverments desire to help the RADICAL right of Christiandom in the United States. The evangelical bible thumping people who vote and vote and vote, that is really the only way that "Christians" have messed up the united states.

AssassinFromHell
10-Jun-2006, 06:15 PM

Gangsters, Murderers, Rapists, Con Artists, Terrorists, and Liberals are Christians? Last I checked, when the U.S. actually had morals, all was going good. Now look at it, when you have ever tight ass religion complaining about the Pledge of Allegiance (as if they have to say it), and the coins having a small phrase nobody ever notices. We're corrupt because people have TOO MANY rights. The U.S. was founded on Christianity. Then we get seperation of church and state. Give it time, we'll go to Satanism next.

America's favorite natural resource: Ignorance

But then again, Christians think they own the world. Well, just the crazy extremists who go insane when something isn't kissing god's left butt check. The band Collective Soul has a new logo, which features an upside down star inside a CS. Some christian had the nerve to start a movement against the band calling them satanic because of an upside down star. Oh, and what about how they complain about the horror film industry.

I'm done ranting. America sucks. Earth sucks. :D

EvilNed
10-Jun-2006, 06:20 PM
Gangsters, Murderers, Rapists, Con Artists, Terrorists, and Liberals are Christians?

Soooo... What's so bad about Liberals? I like to consider myself liberal, and I assume you have some kind of argument to back that up with.

AssassinFromHell
10-Jun-2006, 06:23 PM
Soooo... What's so bad about Liberals? I like to consider myself liberal, and I assume you have some kind of argument to back that up with.

Just trying to add a touch of humor. I have nothing against liberals in general. Just the ones who go overboard and feel like waving signs while clogging traffic will contribute to bettering a cause.

EvilNed
10-Jun-2006, 06:24 PM
Just trying to add a touch of humor. I have nothing against liberals in general. Just the ones who go overboard and feel like waving signs while clogging traffic will contribute to bettering a cause.

Oh, sorry. Yeah, I agree there. Republicans generally aren't bad, but the radicals are. Liberals generally aren't bad, but the radicals are, etc. etc.

Marie
10-Jun-2006, 07:03 PM
the issue of an amendment is dead for now - thankfully.

You aren't paying attention. The amendment was smoke and mirrors anyway, What President Bush probably DID do sucessfully is reenergize the right wing voters and therefore stop any "Protest Vote" against the party in the next couple of elections.

Politics is a dirty game.

M_

[QUOTE=I'm done ranting. America sucks. Earth sucks. :D[/QUOTE]

Yea, but just try to buy real estate off planet.....:D

M_

zombie04
10-Jun-2006, 07:24 PM
We're corrupt because people have TOO MANY rights.

We don't have too many rights. There's just too many people who think it is necessary to use these rights whenever they get the chance. I have a real problem with people who hide behind the first amendment while at the same time use it as a weapon. Sure there are extremists on both sides of the fence and I think that is where a big part of the problem is, but I think there are even more rational people out there who see this.

Neil
10-Jun-2006, 08:13 PM

BUT <----(yes a but)

Yes, and at the time witches were burned at the stake... Somethings get out of date. Religous nonsense and prejudice is a fine example...

zombie04
10-Jun-2006, 09:01 PM
Yes, and at the time witches were burned at the stake... Somethings get out of date. Religous nonsense and prejudice is a fine example...

last time I checked the country was founded after the witchburning fiasco. Besides, sometimes Christianity shares a lot with simple common sense and for some reason people tend to confuse the two.

Adrenochrome
10-Jun-2006, 09:10 PM
last time I checked the country was founded after the witchburning fiasco. Besides, sometimes Christianity shares a lot with simple common sense and for some reason people tend to confuse the two.
This country was already "founded" long beofre the Christians started their burning "fiasco". Hell, in some ways they still "burn" - only these days they bomb abortion clinics and murder doctors that perform abortions.
All the Christians I've ever met are about Control. They are right and everybody else is wrong. They are one sided and ignorant. They preach peace, yet, practice hateful, egotistical control of those around them. (Again, they're are the ones I've encountered....and haven't met any that are not like this.)
They need to learn that "their way" is NOT the right way.

MinionZombie
10-Jun-2006, 09:22 PM
Just because a country was founded under one thing, doesn't mean it has to enforce those values on EVERYBODY for eternity. Times change, people and cultures change. Gays are people too, it is their human right to be treated equal to straight folk. All too often the human rights 'thing' is used the wrong way - like giving KFC to a criminal on a roof (this week in the UK), rather than finding that so-called equality we're currently living in.

I thought religion was supposed to preach unity and loving thy neighbour and how to be a good person.

"My Name Is Earl" should be shown in schools and at functions to teach people how to be nice and treat others with respect I say.

zombie04
10-Jun-2006, 09:25 PM
They need to learn that "their way" is NOT the right way.

And can you prove that you're right and they're wrong? I know this could go either way but I'm just saying.

Adrenochrome
10-Jun-2006, 09:27 PM
And can you prove that you're right and they're wrong? I know this could go either way but I'm just saying.
No, but I can prove that we all have a right to opinion and I understand that there is no ONE right way.

zombie04
10-Jun-2006, 09:32 PM
No, but I can prove that we all have a right to opinion and I understand that there is no ONE right way.

Did I say nobody had a right to an opinion? Don't think so. I think this is a very good example of why politics should not be discussed on this board. People insult other people's beliefs, those people do their best to retaliate in some way, and it just never ends (kind of like that Israel/Palestine thing). I just try to stay away from these things.

Adrenochrome
10-Jun-2006, 09:34 PM
Did I say nobody had a right to an opinion? Don't think so. I think this is a very good example of why politics should not be discussed on this board. People insult other people's beliefs, those people do their best to retaliate in some way, and it just never ends (kind of like that Israel/Palestine thing). I just try to stay away from these things.
Calm down there, Spitfire! I wasn't trying to be an ass there.:D Just answering your question.

zombie04
10-Jun-2006, 10:13 PM
Calm down there, Spitfire! I wasn't trying to be an ass there.:D Just answering your question.

No need to tell me to calm down. If you heard me speak for the last two years you'd realize I've become monotone because I've become so indifferent to everything. Yup, life is just so exciting for me:)

DeadJonas190
11-Jun-2006, 07:05 AM
With all of the nonsense that is going on with our country it is ridiculous that the government would spend tax payer money on such a non-issue. While marrige is quite often performed in a church, it is not entirely a religious entity. Sure, a lot of people associate marrige with religion, but in reality marrige is only a contract between two people whom want to be together. A piece of paper, not ordaned by god, but rather by man.

The whole issue of Gay marrige is a farce. It is a way the right wingers use this countries mass homophobia to swing over those voters who are unsure of whom to vote for. Gay marrige should not even be an issue. Let the people make the oath to love and cherish each other for the rest of their lives and move on to important issues such as taking care of poverty in this country or creating more jobs other than the minimum wage jobs that have been created to replace all the high paying jobs lost during these past 6 years or so. Take care of our soldiers overseas and clean up the messes that we have created.

Love is the important factor in marrige. If 2 people love each other and want to be with each other for the rest of their lives then let them. It is sad that these right wingers are trying to strip away peoples rights and happiness because of their sexual orientation.

Next we will find Bush and his boys trying to "Round them up and fence them in!" like a good cowboy, but what else would you expect from a man who believes he was made President by God.

deadwrtr
11-Jun-2006, 01:08 PM
"My Name Is Earl" should be shown in schools and at functions to teach people how to be nice and treat others with respect I say.

My name is Earl is a great show. I especially enjoyed the episode about Karma having a fist.

Sweet. :)