PDA

View Full Version : Daybreakers

Gemini
18-Aug-2010, 04:37 PM
This was a cool movie. But I was surprised at the zombie-like vampire attacks toward the end of the film. It seemed they were trespassing into zombie territory with the group attacks, dismemberment, biting off hunks of flesh, etc. I was a bit offended by this as obviously I am huge into the zombie genre. Anyone else?

DEAD BEAT
18-Aug-2010, 04:39 PM
This was a cool movie. But I was surprised at the zombie-like vampire attacks toward the end of the film. It seemed they were trespassing into zombie territory with the group attacks, dismemberment, biting off hunks of flesh, etc. I was a bit offended by this as obviously I am huge into the zombie genre. Anyone else?

i'm just huge period.....if you know what i mean!;)

MoonSylver
18-Aug-2010, 05:30 PM

One of the truths of the universe...all roads lead back to Dead Beat's weiner. :lol:;):p

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear it's okay. Had it for a few weeks now and still haven't watched it....

And why is everything about your baby dick, dead beat? :p

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 05:37 PM

One of the truths of the universe...all roads lead back to Dead Beat's weiner. :lol:;):p

Truer words have never been written. :lol:

Glad to hear it's okay. Had it for a few weeks now and still haven't watched it....

And why is everything about your baby dick, dead beat? :p

You would think that someone that had a huge johnson wouldn't have to announce it all the time. :lol:

But that's just me i guess.

:cool:

BillyRay
18-Aug-2010, 05:37 PM

You've had Deadbeat's schwantz for a few weeks?!?!

How the Hell did you get your hands on that???

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 05:42 PM
magnifying glass and tweezers.

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 05:44 PM
magnifying glass and tweezers.

Easy BAss.

He might just post a picture of it to prove you're wrong! :stunned:

Trin
18-Aug-2010, 05:53 PM
I swear, that's just j-peg compression!!

dracenstein
18-Aug-2010, 06:36 PM
Getting back to Daybreakers, I liked it a lot, and the feasting of the vampires at the end was when they had run out of blood and had been starving for awhile.

Under those circumstances, normal feeding practises goes out of the window...

One niggle, the scientist vampire was shy of feeding on humans. It didn't feel right to me.

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 06:44 PM
Getting back to Daybreakers, I liked it a lot, and the feasting of the vampires at the end was when they had run out of blood and had been starving for awhile.

Under those circumstances, normal feeding practises goes out of the window...

One niggle, the scientist vampire was shy of feeding on humans. It didn't feel right to me.

Well, he never wanted to turn anyway.

It seems as if he abhored what he was, that he had to kill humans in order to stay alive.

dracenstein
18-Aug-2010, 07:08 PM
They didn't need to kill humans, they had them on tap...until they were recalled by their private owners.

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 07:16 PM
They didn't need to kill humans, they had them on tap...until they were recalled by their private owners.

Wasn' t having them on tap the same as killing them?

They were eventually drained of blood until their supply of humans dwindled down to none.

BillyRay
18-Aug-2010, 07:35 PM
Wasn' t having them on tap the same as killing them?

They were eventually drained of blood until their supply of humans dwindled down to none.

Would it've killed them to give their humans an orange juice & cookie IV?

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 07:51 PM
Would it've killed them to give their humans an orange juice & cookie IV?

I don't know about that but you would think they would have taken better care of the finite resource that humans were.

It's like a blood drive and giving blood everyday. You can't do it. You have to wait a certain period of time for your blood to replenish.

You would think they would have taken the same aproach to the humans which they harvested.

DEAD BEAT
18-Aug-2010, 08:00 PM
LMAO Well guys i must say you got me there, thanks for the good laugh!:lol:

And in regards to an earlier post of how bass got his hands on my johnson...well maybe he just wants to bulk up after all your talkin' bout a 20 pounder here fellas!:clown:

Wyldwraith
19-Aug-2010, 02:23 PM
The thing about Daybreakers,
It's another example of Message > Plot Logic. They were making a belabored, heavy-handed comparison to the way humans exploit critical resources with little to no consideration of the long-term consequences.

In its own way, it's just as heavy-handed a message as Land's. My problems with this movie's plotholes were many. Will touch on some of the biggest ones.

1) As someone else said, the main protagonist/Vampire Scientist, regardless of how he might feel about his undead condition would've acclimated after YEARS to at least drinking blood indirectly, and with no sign of the humor donor around. Ie: From the bottle his brother brings that he rejects, or from one of the Coffee & Blood shops. He took his "abstinence" way beyond even your most angsty humanity-longing-for vampire protagonists, like, Nick Knight/Mick St. Claire, Louie Interview w/ the Vampire, or even Bill Trueblood/The Sookie Stackhouse novel series.

All of these other protagonists can at least cope easily with blood from a cup/bottle, or even a non-fatal/non-serious-injury-inducing feeding on a human under extreme circumstances (Example: Blade feeding on the female Hematologist after Deacon Frost's weird bleeding-out Sarcophagus critically drained him). For the protagonist of Daybreakers to be such a crybaby about even the tamest drinking of blood. To the point it genuinely detracts from the movie as viewer irritation grows.

2) The message itself. I realize they're trying to draw a comparison to the heedless manner in which the Industrialized Nations consume huge amounts of the finite Oil supply. However, the parallel simply doesn't work. For one thing, no one honestly knows just how much oil we've got, while a world census of live human beings could arrive at a near-exact headcount of the human population with any semi-serious effort by national governments. ESPECIALLY once the number of humans remaining falls below 7 digits.

The other problem with this attempted parallel commentary on Oil Consumption is the scale of the problem. People understand that if we run out/almost run out of Oil, civilization will take a giant step backwards if we don't have a suitable alternative ready to go. A substantial % of the Global Population could die, yes. However, once the Global Vampire Civilization runs out of blood, the ENTIRE population of the planet would be extinguished.

As serious as a Century backslide for civilization is, and the deaths of tens or even hundreds of millions due to dangers arising from such a crisis, it simply isn't even close to being in the same league with the Certain Death Via Extinction Level Event of all humanity as depicted by the Blood Crisis in Daybreakers.

People can be thoughtless, greedy and stupid en masse, but not even humanity is stupid enough to waltz into the arms of an absolutely certain Extinction of the Species due to actions that were foreseeable many years in advance with no special skills/education, using only common sense.

It would be like astronomers telling us that the Apophis Asteroid hit the tiny "Keyhole" of space, and that in 25 years it would swing back around and slam into the planet with 100% certainty, killing every bit of life on the globe and humanity just shrugging its shoulders and ignoring their inevitable extinction.

The scale of immediacy in the Energy Crisis is a VERY arguable point even by highly educated scientists, while counting the number of Live Humans Left vs. # of Vampires needing X amount of blood regularly to avoid turning into a rabid homicidal predators is an inarguable figure.

3) The mechanism of the "Cure" was cool and made a certain sort of sense, but the plot device that Cured Former Vampires carried a Return to Humanity factor in their blood was damned cheesy. Ridiculously so.

4) When the Blood Substitute was developed, but the now-human protagonist takes action to make sure it can't be mass-produced and disseminated, I considered him to be a genocidal tyrant. Ie: "I have deprived you of your means to remain immortal and move beyond this crisis because I hate vampirism, so I could force the ENTIRE PLANET to become human again or go mad and die."

THAT pissed me off. It was a depiction of a Crime Against Mankind that dwarfed ALL the atrocities of human history combined. A few dissatisfied malcontents forcibly choose mortality or horrible near-immediate death for everyone else, just because THEY don't want to be Vampires? WTH!?!?

Why couldn't they publicize the knowledge of their Cure, AND the fact that feeding off Cured humans would permanently destroy a person's capacity for vampirism, and STILL allow the Blood Substitute to go into production?

Human Farming would be over, and everyone could then be free to choose for themselves. The two species could diverge peacefully, with the vampires advancing vastly quicker than humans, leading them to Interstellar Travel capability centuries ahead of humans due to their finest minds not dying off every generation, and then Earth would be left to the idiotic Death-Loving humans again.

That entire facet of the movie left a horribly bad taste in my mouth and ensured I would never watch Daybreakers again because that level of Selfish, Egomaniacal Stupidity just pisses me off.

There is NOTHING heroic about FORCING a different life on an entire species just because it didn't suit you. Yes, when the paradigm was Vampire Preys on Human, conflict/predation was inevitable, but the near-simultaneous development of both Cure and Blood Substitute offered perfect balance and FREEDOM OF CHOICE.

Being honest, if I lived in such a world and someone deprived me of pain-free, aging-free immortality for no good damned reason, I would hunt the bastard down and torture him and EVERYONE HE CARED FOR to death for murdering me and everyone *I* care for. (Forcing mortality on the Immortal = Murder).

Just my (rather strong) feelings about this movie's ending and its plotholes.

AcesandEights
19-Aug-2010, 04:13 PM
Wyld, nice post! I just wish I had bothered to see this film so that I'd have a basis for comparison. I was initially excited by the idea of the film, but the second round of trailers they released turned me off and now I have a see-it-when-I-see mentality. I'm so disengaged from the prospect of enjoying the film that I'm not even avoiding discussion on the plot, but I think your post has probably been the most intriguing thing I've seen about the film in a while.

I may have to check it out soon(ish).

DEAD BEAT
19-Aug-2010, 04:36 PM
Day Breakers? talk about Day breakers i use to see plenty of those when i worked for a convalescent home....plenty of old folks walkin' around passin' gas like nobody's business!:barf::moon:

dracenstein
21-Aug-2010, 07:56 AM
If the vampires had both a cure and a blood substitute, I am not sure that many would turn.

I just don't think vampires or humans could live in peace with each other.

Neil
21-Aug-2010, 10:38 AM
This film had some cool ideas, but just failed to make the most of them. What could have been epic turned instead into just reasonably entertaining IMHO.