PDA

View Full Version : Logan's "Fu@#in' nuts!

DEAD BEAT
18-Aug-2010, 05:11 PM
So all this recent talk bout Day made me wanna watch it last night...don't know if i was really stoned but Frankenstein was crazy than a shit house rat!

What also amused me is the fact that every one humored him in his attempt to find an answer, tell you this much i would of given up on him long ago!

Is it me or could no one else see that he was nuttier than a squirrels turd, i don't think they did other wise they wouldn't have still included him in important meetings.:confused:

I'm with Rhodes "what are we suppose to do, teach them tricks!":cool:

I'd probably would have taken him out, wouldn't want a nut bag like that sleeping in the same building as me!:confused:

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 05:17 PM
You got this from wikipedia, didn't you?

MoonSylver
18-Aug-2010, 05:26 PM

:lol:
Just can't let it go, can you?

As for Logan, yes they knew he was a BIT cracked, but they had no idea HOW nuts he really was. They hadn't found out the aim of his research, or what he had done to acomplish those aims.

What you see in the movie is what happens when they DO find out.:eek:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ec_bXQZWE2E/SekdzZ9_loI/AAAAAAAADN4/It0R7LTZm3k/s400/dotdcapture001.JPG

"Logan's "Fu@#in' nuts! Now with 20% more cashews!"

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 05:30 PM
The only people that knew how crazy he really was were Sarah and McDermott. As moon said, the soldiers didn't know he was a sicko until right before they shot him.

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, it seemed to me that the two factions did know much about what the other was working on.

:cool:

soulsyfn
18-Aug-2010, 05:47 PM
I dont know what your talking about... it was all a dream anyway... sheesh :rolleyes:

Trin
18-Aug-2010, 05:49 PM
I think there was a general recognition amongst the scientists that, crazy or not, Logan was the best and brightest. I think Sarah was trying to convince Logan to pursue more tangible results because she felt that his intellect, used right, might give them a chance, whereas she and Fischer were the B-Team trying to make do.

At some point Sarah shifts to trying to cover for Logan because she realizes that the military will go apeshit if they realize what he's really doing, and they will assume she's known all along. She kinda gets inadvertently brought in as an accomplice.

MoonSylver
18-Aug-2010, 05:51 PM
I dont know what your talking about... it was all a dream anyway... sheesh :rolleyes:

Here, I'll save him the trouble:

Yeah....some people just don't pay attention to movies, I guess. They need wikipedia to tell them the obvious elements of the film.:confused:

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 06:00 PM
At some point Sarah shifts to trying to cover for Logan because she realizes that the military will go apeshit if they realize what he's really doing, and they will assume she's known all along. She kinda gets inadvertently brought in as an accomplice.

Which in the end was exactly what happened. :dead:

I found that out from wikipedia! :sneaky:

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for covering that one for me, moon.:D

I was just reading about Day and apparently rhodes is a bad guy!?!

MoonSylver
18-Aug-2010, 06:20 PM
I was just reading about Day and apparently rhodes is a bad guy!?!

At the end of Titanic, the boat sinks.

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm sure ace is regretting that thread now! :lol:

One thing's for sure. We're relentless!. :lol:

JDFP
18-Aug-2010, 06:58 PM
Logan was probably one of the most fascinating characters Romero created in the trilogy.

I think Logan was a bit nuts long before he ever set foot in the facility. There are several references in the film in regards to his father that made it pretty clear he was either outright physically abused at worst or just completely neglected by his father at best. Richard Liberty did an amazing job of bringing this character to life as well -- he's more than just a one-dimensional "mad scientist". There's a profound sadness to Logan that was brought out by Liberty -- the man was clearly extremely lonely and Bub filled in a spot for him to make up for his loneliness. He wasn't insane -- at least, not yet, a few more months could have tipped him -- but he was borderline although still rational and clearly brilliant.

Logan, no doubt, physically abused Bub as he was taught by his father that it was perfectly acceptable behavior as a "dominant" male with a subservant individual (or zombie in this case).

An interesting question (ah, instead of resurrecting my "Romero Hypotheticals" thread I'll just post it here) is a question as to whether or not John/Sarah/McDermott would have taken Logan with them if he hadn't been killed and was put into the silo with them. Personally, I don't think Logan would have left -- I believe he would have chosen to stay and if he had somehow survived the other ghouls in the facility would have been perfectly content in working on his research until he either ran out of food or slipped into complete insanity from the isolation due to the lack of others.

I do feel bad for Bub though -- it didn't appear that Logan was going to re-animate (either a stray bullet hit him in the head, which wasn't shown, or humans simply stopped re-animating) -- so this left Bub to be all alone in a completely empty facility save for other zombies -- for how long? I don't want to think about Bub walking around the place for years upon years until he finally rotted away.

j.p.

BillyRay
18-Aug-2010, 07:06 PM
I do feel bad for Bub though -- it didn't appear that Logan was going to re-animate (either a stray bullet hit him in the head, which wasn't shown, or humans simply stopped re-animating) -- so this left Bub to be all alone in a completely empty facility save for other zombies -- for how long? I don't want to think about Bub walking around the place for years upon years until he finally rotted away.

Maybe he eventually became friends with the zombie torso of Rhodes?

paranoid101
18-Aug-2010, 07:08 PM
The technical term for it is Mad as a bag of Spanners

MoonSylver
18-Aug-2010, 07:12 PM
The technical term for it is Mad as a bag of Spanners

Or: Spoon In Your Ass Crazy.;)

BillyRay
18-Aug-2010, 07:15 PM
Or: Spoon In Your Ass Crazy.;)

Or "The wheel's movin', but the Hamster's dead..."

DEAD BEAT
18-Aug-2010, 07:52 PM
Logan was probably one of the most fascinating characters Romero created in the trilogy.

I think Logan was a bit nuts long before he ever set foot in the facility. There are several references in the film in regards to his father that made it pretty clear he was either outright physically abused at worst or just completely neglected by his father at best. Richard Liberty did an amazing job of bringing this character to life as well -- he's more than just a one-dimensional "mad scientist". There's a profound sadness to Logan that was brought out by Liberty -- the man was clearly extremely lonely and Bub filled in a spot for him to make up for his loneliness. He wasn't insane -- at least, not yet, a few more months could have tipped him -- but he was borderline although still rational and clearly brilliant.

Logan, no doubt, physically abused Bub as he was taught by his father that it was perfectly acceptable behavior as a "dominant" male with a subservant individual (or zombie in this case).

An interesting question (ah, instead of resurrecting my "Romero Hypotheticals" thread I'll just post it here) is a question as to whether or not John/Sarah/McDermott would have taken Logan with them if he hadn't been killed and was put into the silo with them. Personally, I don't think Logan would have left -- I believe he would have chosen to stay and if he had somehow survived the other ghouls in the facility would have been perfectly content in working on his research until he either ran out of food or slipped into complete insanity from the isolation due to the lack of others.

j.p.

Kinda makes you wonder who's the pitcher & who's the catcher! lol:hyper::moon:

"AND FOR THE RECORD I DID SAY I WAS FREAKIN' STONED PEOPLE!" LOL

MoonSylver
18-Aug-2010, 08:09 PM

j.p.

Great post JP. You're spot on about Logan.

As for the hypothetical? As compassionate as they were, I'd say they probably try to take the old boy with. Would he go? 50/50 there. If he did, I could see him being totally unhinged & out of touch with reality...at least temporarly. He strikes me as being a crafty fucker who would sneak off & try to start the games anew somehow, somewhere...

And Bub? Yeah, it is sad, just self aware enough to maybe know who, what & where he is & trapped in that hell. Then again, maybe he's just smart enough to figure out a way to the surface...? (Probably not).

Kinda makes you wonder who's the pitcher & who's the catcher! lol:hyper::moon:

I don't think he abused him like THAT! More like beatings for "misbehaving". Actually, I never got the impression he beat Bub, but some of the other subjects who wouldn't comply:
(the tape - "Bastard! Be civilized! BE CIVIL-IIIZZZED!!!!)

soulsyfn
18-Aug-2010, 08:21 PM
Here, I'll save him the trouble:

HEHEHE... i loved that thread :lol:

darth los
18-Aug-2010, 08:37 PM
I could see him being totally unhinged & out of touch with reality...at least temporarly. He strikes me as being a crafty fucker who would sneak off & try to start the games anew somehow, somewhere...

I could see him killing one of the survivors while continuing his research so he could continue to "reward" his subjects. :dead:

sandrock74
18-Aug-2010, 08:38 PM
And Bub? Yeah, it is sad, just self aware enough to maybe know who, what & where he is & trapped in that hell. Then again, maybe he's just smart enough to figure out a way to the surface...? (Probably not).

Yeah, I don't see Bub as being smart enough to work his way out of the HQ. What were his options? Fixing the electronics to reactivate the hydraulic lift, or stumbling upon the ladder in the silo and make that looooong climb to the surface.

I can't see either happening.

He was trapped with all the other zombies down there.

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 08:39 PM
I could see him naked....Wait. What?

I've never actually thought about Bub being stuck down there. Bummer.:(

Trin
18-Aug-2010, 10:18 PM
Which in the end was exactly what happened. :dead:
Sarah was in a terrible spot. She had no credibility denouncing Logan for his research methods since they were so seemingly caught in the act. She had already overlooked his use of soldiers as test subjects. She was basically standing on a landmine knowing it wouldn't explode so long as she kept her foot pressed down.

I hated the Logan character when I first watched Day. My reaction was, "Why would you make a movie that revolved around these people." And Logan was by far the worst of them. A complete nutjob who was pursuing stupid goals and compromising the entire facility. I was totally checked out of his role.

In later viewings I came to appreciate the character more. Liberty does a great job with the role as JD says. A really remarkable job bringing out the disturbed mentality while selling the character as a legitimate scientist. I do wish GAR had made Logan's goals more sensible. I believe that would've endeared the character more to the audience, especially on the coattails of Dawn where the characters were so level-headed.

DEAD BEAT
18-Aug-2010, 10:39 PM
I could see him naked....Wait. What?

wow! i think im startin' to grow on you Bass! lol;)

In regards to a naked Bub....im pretty sure his cock fell off long time ago....so not much to look @ or even picture!:D

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 10:42 PM
A naked Bub? WTF are you on about, man?!? :lol:

AcesandEights
18-Aug-2010, 11:04 PM

Is that all? I think he makes it out eventually...

http://www.comicmonsters.com/modules/Interviews/Bub/Bubcover1.jpghttp://www.comicmonsters.com/modules/Interviews/Bub/Bub1Alt.jpg

Note the full title of the book :D

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 11:11 PM
*sigh*

I wish Romero continued the adventures of Bub.....

SRP76
18-Aug-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm surprised Logan's insanity didn't spill out into his "off hours", so everyone would notice. I mean, didn't he at least get seen once running down the hall nude, signing "I'm a little teapot"?

Kind of hard to hide being insane.

bassman
18-Aug-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't think Logan had off time. He was too involved in his "work". The only ones with off time were the bi-curious soldiers hugging and rolling around the hallways...

krakenslayer
18-Aug-2010, 11:41 PM
I actually think Logan's plan could have worked if he had been a little less whacked out and had explained the potential applications better to Rhodes. The psychology behind it is totally sound, the most basic, textbook application of behaviourism: reward them when they perform a desired action, with-hold the reward when they perform an undesirable action. This has been successfully used to train animals since the first domestic canines stopped being wolves and started being dogs. Take a handful of these creatures, put weapons in their hands, and train them to kill other zombies. Now plant these anti-zeds in a zombie-infested town and watch them clear the place out (the other zombies will not instinctively attack the trained ones, seeing them as fellow zeds and not food).
This idea was touched on a little heavier in the original script, but never got beyond initial domestication in the actual film. Of course the logistal problem they hit on was the reward part: unless you can provide them with something that looks, smells, tastes and feels like recently-deceased long pig, what else can you reward them with? Even if you can get a supply of human flesh without turning to murder, as Logan to his credit managed to do (although even that wouldn't last forever), people have all kinds of irrational, violent reactions to such a practice, as he found out.

DEAD BEAT
18-Aug-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't think Logan had off time. He was too involved in his "work". The only ones with off time were the bi-curious soldiers hugging and rolling around the hallways...

Bass now your starting to worry me mate....first a naked Bub now soilder's rollin' around the floor with each other? lol:confused:

Between all that gay sex, John & Miguel gettin' a three some on with Sara.....and Logan & Bub doin' the ol' back door in out, in out....hope they had good ventilation down there!:barf::dead:

JDFP
19-Aug-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm surprised Logan's insanity didn't spill out into his "off hours", so everyone would notice. I mean, didn't he at least get seen once running down the hall nude, signing "I'm a little teapot"?

Kind of hard to hide being insane.

But I don't think Logan was insane. Was he extremely eccentric and perhaps a bit crazy? Sure. But in a world where the dead come back and eat people and you're stuck in an underground facility without seeing the light of day in who knows how long -- everyone is bound to go to varying extents a little crazy.

He was following out his theory that he had and seeking empirical justifications of his theory as a man of science. We can argue that his theory was crazy itself (certainly) but that doesn't mean he himself was insane for following his methodology as he did. He followed his supposition and ultimately, who knows, if given more time and more research -- perhaps he would have been proven to be correct.

There aren't many actors that can really reach the depths of this character like Liberty did. I'd go as far as saying that if "Day" had been anything other than a low-budget horror flick (because face it, low-budget horror flicks are almost always frowned upon by the 'elite') then Liberty would have won awards for his role and what he presented as the character of Dr. Logan. I'd cast my vote if it was re-made today with Tom Wilkinson (who certainly shines as a great actor) being the first person I could think of that would really stand out in the role.

Logan was consumed in his work, yes. But, what else was he to do? Become an alcoholic like McDermott? Turn to faith like John? Reach for power as Rhodes? His work was his life -- and I don't know that Logan before the events of "Day" would have been much different prior to the apocalypse. I could see Logan's co-workers laughing at him as he's passed up for research grant after grant because his theories were "out there" but then being the first to admit after Logan achieved something that the eccentric "Dr. Frankenstein" was one of the most brilliant minds they knew and almost always accomplished whatever research goal that was set and raised the bar for all the other co-workers he had. Even Sarah admitted and respected the man's ability even if vehemently disagreeing with his approach.

j.p.

MoonSylver
19-Aug-2010, 01:31 AM
But I don't think Logan was insane. Was he extremely eccentric and perhaps a bit crazy? Sure. But in a world where the dead come back and eat people and you're stuck in an underground facility without seeing the light of day in who knows how long -- everyone is bound to go to varying extents a little crazy.

I think that's understating it a bit. Go back & listen to the tape. The guy is raving at his dead mother about some long ago incident over his fathers stockings (socks). The hints are there, he's disturbed, & it started before he ever set foot in that cave...

Trin
19-Aug-2010, 02:32 AM
I think it's understating it too.

Look at the man's lab conditions. He may have been following a methodology but he was also ignoring the most basic of sanitary conditions.

It was overplayed to the point that anyone with even a passing knowledge of science would got wtf when they see his lab.

However, it also gave his whole lab and character that secret underground sinister lab feel. And that was one of the best positives of the movie. So I can only get so critical of it.

rongravy
19-Aug-2010, 06:50 PM

Bub didn't even like being dissed for not being saluted back. I doubt he would've taken an asswooping.

Personally, I'd like to hear more about Aunt Alicia...:lol:

Rancid Carcass
19-Aug-2010, 07:22 PM
The only ones with off time were the bi-curious soldiers hugging and rolling around the hallways...

Ah... that explains the 'beef treats' then. :lol:

DEAD BEAT
19-Aug-2010, 08:34 PM
Ah... that explains the 'beef treats' then. :lol:

ha ha! finally some one who shares my sense of humor...no offense Bass & Darth your still my mates!;)

bassman
19-Aug-2010, 08:41 PM
ha ha! finally some one who shares my sense of humor...no offense Bass & Darth your still my mates!;)

So you consider your strange addiction to penis to be humor? Hrmm. I have another word for it.:p

WTF was this thread about, again?:lol:

darth los
19-Aug-2010, 08:50 PM

So you consider your strange addiction to penis to be humor? Hrmm. I have another word for it.:p

Does the phrase "off the rails" mean anything to anyone?

And this is coming from me so you know it's bad! :lol:

DEAD BEAT
19-Aug-2010, 08:59 PM

he if you got it flawnt it girlfriend!lol;):clown:

but were still bud's.....speaking of which u got any? lol

MoonSylver
19-Aug-2010, 09:04 PM
he if you got it flawnt it girlfriend!lol;):clown:

but were still bud's.....speaking of which u got any? lol

See, he's not just addicted to dick jokes...weed humor is a close second!:lol:

shootemindehead
19-Aug-2010, 09:15 PM
Is that all? I think he makes it out eventually...

http://www.comicmonsters.com/modules/Interviews/Bub/Bubcover1.jpghttp://www.comicmonsters.com/modules/Interviews/Bub/Bub1Alt.jpg

Note the full title of the book :D

I think this takes place before the events in 'Day of the Dead'.

bassman
19-Aug-2010, 09:18 PM

"The Rising of Bub" title points to that being true...

DEAD BEAT
19-Aug-2010, 10:05 PM
See, he's not just addicted to dick jokes...weed humor is a close second!:lol:

maybe so...but in the case of a zombie take over just load me up with all the hookers & weed one can get their hands on! ;):D

CooperWasRight
19-Aug-2010, 10:32 PM

It takes place at the same time as the movie starts...It was to go on beyond the events of day but there were financial problems...

rongravy
28-Aug-2010, 05:39 AM
I just got done watching the Crazies on Netflix just now and was WTF'ed when I saw Dr. Frankenstein on the screen. It took a second since he looked quite a bit younger. Funny that in both movies he's pretty whack.

bassman
28-Aug-2010, 01:38 PM
I just got done watching the Crazies on Netflix just now and was WTF'ed when I saw Dr. Frankenstein on the screen. It took a second since he looked quite a bit younger. Funny that in both movies he's pretty whack.

Yeah.....his character is more whacked in Crazies than his character in Day. Father/Daughter. :dead::barf:

Cinerary
28-Aug-2010, 04:55 PM
Logan got all the chicks when they were alive. Hell, he still gets them as zombies as well......

On his dissection tables.:stunned:

bassman
28-Aug-2010, 06:20 PM
On his dissection tables.:stunned:

I believe someone brought that up before. As crazy as we was with the whole "mother" thing, he could've been going all Bates/Bill with the hair and skin. Dressing up with them and also having his way with them. Yikes...

darth los
31-Aug-2010, 02:33 PM
Which begs the question if you screw a zombie will that infect you. :dead:

BillyRay
31-Aug-2010, 02:40 PM

Condoms, people...:evil:

bassman
31-Aug-2010, 02:48 PM
Judging from his actions and the way he was covered in blood....I don't think Logan would care about protection.

Even worse, where is he going to get KY jelly to lube up those dried out zombies? :p

darth los
31-Aug-2010, 02:59 PM
Condoms, people...:evil:

Oh, yeah because that makes it ok. :rolleyes: :lol:

Judging from his actions and the way he was covered in blood....I don't think Logan would care about protection.

Even worse, where is he going to get KY jelly to lube up those dried out zombies? :p

Never let it be said that we haven't covered every nook and cranny of zombiedom! :lol:

This is wierd territory we're covering here.

I'd love to see what phiily thinks about this. :lol:

bassman
31-Aug-2010, 03:18 PM
I'd love to see what phiily thinks about this. :lol:

"Well....seeing as Land comes BEFORE Day, I believe Bub is the love child of the zombie couple that hold hands. Ma and Pa Bub.":lol:

SymphonicX
31-Aug-2010, 03:25 PM

Either the zombie will infect you, or the maggots eating your d1ck willl.

rongravy
31-Aug-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, you might as well glue your peepee hole shut.

clanglee
01-Sep-2010, 12:18 AM
Wow. . this thread took a weird turn. . . .:evil:

JDFP
01-Sep-2010, 01:07 AM

See this very messed up and yet highly entertaining film for more on the subject of "enjoying" (ahem) the company of a zombie...

http://www.fatally-yours.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-girl-poster.jpg

http://www.shootforthehead.com/AdvHTML_Upload/deadgirl.jpg

It's actually one of the best zombie films I've seen in a long, long time.

j.p.

clanglee
01-Sep-2010, 03:37 AM
Yeah, it actually was quite effective. I really enjoyed the movie. . . .well maybe enjoy isn't the right word, but yeah. . .it's good.

DEAD BEAT
01-Sep-2010, 04:59 PM
I think if you screw a zombie....pretty much your cock will end up like a dried up carrot and drop off.....If she doesn't bite it off first of course! :eek:

darth los
01-Sep-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah, it actually was quite effective. I really enjoyed the movie. . . .well maybe enjoy isn't the right word, but yeah. . .it's good.

See this very messed up and yet highly entertaining film for more on the subject of "enjoying" (ahem) the company of a zombie...

http://www.fatally-yours.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-girl-poster.jpg

http://www.shootforthehead.com/AdvHTML_Upload/deadgirl.jpg

It's actually one of the best zombie films I've seen in a long, long time.

j.p.

Part of me wants to watch it and part of me is afraid to.

I don't know if I want that mental picture in my head. Once a bell is rung...

Boogiedowndead
06-Sep-2010, 07:12 PM
I actually think Logan's plan could have worked if he had been a little less whacked out and had explained the potential applications better to Rhodes. The psychology behind it is totally sound, the most basic, textbook application of behaviourism: reward them when they perform a desired action, with-hold the reward when they perform an undesirable action. This has been successfully used to train animals since the first domestic canines stopped being wolves and started being dogs. Take a handful of these creatures, put weapons in their hands, and train them to kill other zombies. Now plant these anti-zeds in a zombie-infested town and watch them clear the place out (the other zombies will not instinctively attack the trained ones, seeing them as fellow zeds and not food).
This idea was touched on a little heavier in the original script, but never got beyond initial domestication in the actual film. Of course the logistal problem they hit on was the reward part: unless you can provide them with something that looks, smells, tastes and feels like recently-deceased long pig, what else can you reward them with? Even if you can get a supply of human flesh without turning to murder, as Logan to his credit managed to do (although even that wouldn't last forever), people have all kinds of irrational, violent reactions to such a practice, as he found out.

I thought Logan attempts to train the zombies was pointless until I saw Land.

Big Daddy was training the other zombies to defend themselves.

Were as Bub could have trained them not to eat every human they come in contact with.

Of course highly unlikely but possible.