PDA

View Full Version : Zombie style Fungus controlls Carpetner ants

DjfunkmasterG
18-Aug-2010, 11:56 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/aug/18/zombie-carpenter-ant-fungus

MikePizzoff
19-Aug-2010, 12:15 AM
Pretty intense stuff.

We had a discussion on here about certain wasps having a zombie-like venom that they injected in their victims (other insects... I think ants and roaches).

MoonSylver
19-Aug-2010, 01:54 AM
Wierd. There have been similar articles in the past, but not exactly the same:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=14386&highlight=fungus

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=13729&highlight=fungus

Ghost Of War
19-Aug-2010, 08:15 AM
Awesome. I feel an idea for a story coming on.

LouCipherr
19-Aug-2010, 12:18 PM
So, perhaps fungus will be the actual cause of the zombie apocalypse? Interesting...

Yeah, yeah, I know, the article says it controls carpenter ants, but that's just one step away from jumping to humans.. then it's "Brains!" for all of us! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
19-Aug-2010, 12:48 PM
So, perhaps fungus will be the actual cause of the zombie apocalypse? Interesting...

Yeah, yeah, I know, the article says it controls carpenter ants, but that's just one step away from jumping to humans.. then it's "Brains!" for all of us! :lol:

Ok Lou... we both work for Bio-tech firms... so now, how to we get that virus/fungus into humans so we can have a real zombie apocalypse... and Deadlands 3 can tout using REAL zombies... as opposed to the fake ones I have from people donating their time to come out and eat other people. =)

Danny
19-Aug-2010, 01:24 PM
Awesome. I feel an idea for a story coming on.

its been done. a lot. There was even an X-files episode based on this.

LouCipherr
19-Aug-2010, 03:17 PM
Ok Lou... we both work for Bio-tech firms... so now, how to we get that virus/fungus into humans so we can have a real zombie apocalypse... and Deadlands 3 can tout using REAL zombies... as opposed to the fake ones I have from people donating their time to come out and eat other people. =)

*rubs hands together in an evil manner*

Well, Dj, that is something that perhaps some of the people here at HPotD (being zombie fans and all) might be willing to volunteer for - clinical zombie fungus trials.

Any volunteers out there?!

The great thing is, I don't think we'll need FDA approval for this one! :elol:

bassman
19-Aug-2010, 03:35 PM
its been done. a lot. There was even an X-files episode based on this.

But to be fair, there's on episode of The X Files for every science fiction and horror cliche...

slickwilly13
19-Aug-2010, 04:30 PM
You 2 work for a Biotech firm? Cool, what exactly do you guys do? I am looking at career paths right now.

LouCipherr
19-Aug-2010, 06:46 PM
We both work in the Quality Assurance area of our respective jobs. Well, Dj will call his "Regulatory Compliance" - and while that's a different department than QA at his place of business, we basically do the same thing - we catch people's fuckups and make them fix it.

In other words, we work for the most hated department in our line of work. :D

rongravy
19-Aug-2010, 06:54 PM
So that's how Obama got elected...

I saw a thing on where ants ate the sugary goodness from slugs' trails and the worms took over their brains and made them hang out on grass leaves, waiting to be eaten by cattle. This one be a fungus?

MoonSylver
19-Aug-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok Lou... we both work for Bio-tech firms...

Oh, so YOU'RE the ones responsible for THIS:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RNrl2Gr0VwI/TEj95U9szCI/AAAAAAAAC6I/m8YQF-ypYlk/s1600/cthulhu+coffee+trioxin.jpg

;)

bassman
19-Aug-2010, 09:20 PM
The government chemical so secret, the random guy at the medical supply store knows everything about it!:p

MikePizzoff
20-Aug-2010, 12:30 AM
But to be fair, there's on episode of The X Files for every science fiction and horror cliche...

And don't forget that there's nothing wrong with that. :rant:

MoonSylver
20-Aug-2010, 04:00 AM
The government chemical so secret, the random guy at the medical supply store knows everything about it!:p

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey, you leave my favorite plot device character employed to move the story foreward outta this you!:p

DjfunkmasterG
20-Aug-2010, 07:09 AM

Watch your tongue boy if you like this job! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey, you leave my favorite plot device character employed to move the story foreward outta this you!:p

+1

bassman
20-Aug-2010, 12:01 PM
And don't forget that there's nothing wrong with that. :rant:

No sir, not at all. Love the X Files. Who doesn't?

"Burt is a slave driver":p