PDA

View Full Version : So one of my best friends has just announced he is becoming a woman...

SymphonicX
21-Aug-2010, 12:23 PM
Very weird situation - it's not a problem from my point of view, I've already given my support...

But man you don't ever expect to find yourself in a situation where one day you're calling your friend "mate" and the next day, the whole issue is confused...still on my phone under his male name, little things like that are very weird to come to terms with - its just those little details and I've realised why people can be so rejective of that type of thing, because you suddenly start asking yourself what's appropriate and what's not appropriate in terms of monickers (mate, buddy, dude etc) and stuff like that - its like the person is the same, wants to be seen the same but at the same time you have to demasculise your language to avoid the offence of implying about his male credentials...

just realised I even described her as "him" and "his" throughout this post - its like I've got to reassess words and phrases and thought processess

I mean it's not a problem, I'm not the one going through the massive change and journey, but yeah...weird situation.....

bassman
21-Aug-2010, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were my friend. I would just warn him that he's about to go broke....

Legion2213
22-Aug-2010, 02:35 AM
You can still call him "mate", I know loads of women who I call "mate".

GRMonLI
22-Aug-2010, 11:58 AM
that you are supporting your friend. All these things that you are thinking about are all part of the process and she will appreciate the fact you are trying.

Danny
22-Aug-2010, 12:29 PM
i have never considered dude gender specific so sod all would change really. Gender can affect a lot of stuff, but at the end of the day its the same guy, just a gal now.

cept' maybe there would be a shift in the balance of dong/vagoo jokes.:lol:

-er, plus, imagine having to give up the regular shitty public mens rooms for the ultra vile womens :barf:

no. i could never brave that. especially sitting down on one of those fuckers. i suppose your friend is ironically the bigger man to be bale to chose so. brr, no. god no. from experience inspecting the ones for work at mcdonalds and some bars that is a braver choice than losing your penis.

Hell, its braver than walking through fire in most of em...

Terran
23-Aug-2010, 12:03 PM
Best wingman ever.

Chic Freak
24-Aug-2010, 08:02 PM
Congratulations to your friend on finding/ becoming herself... if I'd been born with a penis I'd be PISSED OFF.

And yes it's okay to call a female friend "mate" and I'm sure she won't be offended if you accidentally refer to her as "him" occasionally while you're getting used to it as long as you're trying :) Soon you'll feel weird not thinking of her as a her :)