PDA

View Full Version : Just watched Dawn of the Dead with my 10 yr old

Ghost Of War
21-Aug-2010, 02:45 PM
(Sorry, I know there was a similar thread but I couldn't find it).

Well, he's watched Dawn Of The Dead, my 10 year old son. The theatrical version. I thought he'd be bored shitless by it, but no...he loved it. He was scared by it. He had a laugh at some of the clothes, and some of the zombie make-up ("he looks like a clown dad"), but he was actually hiding behind a cushion at one point. So, he's seen Night '90, and now Dawn...dare I show him Day? I'm not sure if he's old enough for that one yet. I'm just really glad that he liked Dawn, it actually surprised me. I even had to pause it when he went to the toilet so he didn't miss anything.:)

bassman
21-Aug-2010, 02:59 PM
If Dawn scared him......Day is gonna make him shit his pants.:lol:

Might wanna hold off on that one for a while...

Mr.G
21-Aug-2010, 03:05 PM
Go for it. He'll have tons of stories to tell the therapist in the future. ;)

JDFP
21-Aug-2010, 03:33 PM
Ah hell, because of my own dad I'm a few inches shorter than I should be from stunted growth and from sleepless nights due to horror flicks as a kid in the 80's.

It's only fitting that we do the same to our kids in return. :D

j.p.

sandrock74
21-Aug-2010, 04:03 PM
10 seems too young for people to show these movies to their kids. Why not just wait a couple of years? No need to scar your kids just so you can watch a horror film with them.

SymphonicX
21-Aug-2010, 05:16 PM
10 is fine to show a horror movie as long as it's not something like Saw (visceral, painful etc) - general creepy house or slasher movies like Elm St, Friday the 13th etc, are comic and silly at best - as long as the kid is adjusted to the idea that "it's just ketchup" and that sort of stuff it won't be a problem.

I found what really worked for me as a kid was my mum showing me Michael Jackson's Thriller - which came with a "making of" so as soon as the scary bit was over, I got to see the actors getting made up - totally takes the edge off.

Maybe Day is slightly too strong in it's completely uncut form though - very visceral and very painful in places....

Ghost Of War
21-Aug-2010, 05:41 PM
I was 8 when I watched Dawn for the first time, and I turned out ok. Well...kinda.

I honestly thought he'd find it dull, but he's wanted to watch it for a while, he's heard me go on and on about it. I think Day might be too much, I might wait til he's about 13 for that one.

There's no way I'd let him anywhere near films like Saw or Hostel, even Dawn '04. He's a clever lad, he knows they're just films, but some things aren't for a child.

He's seen Thriller before, he loved that too. I reckon he's just a chip off the old block. Hell, he even spotted the trampoline, and asked why the dude wanted to check his blood pressure when there's zombies on his case.

SymphonicX
21-Aug-2010, 05:45 PM
I was 8 when I watched Dawn for the first time, and I turned out ok. Well...kinda.

I honestly thought he'd find it dull, but he's wanted to watch it for a while, he's heard me go on and on about it. I think Day might be too much, I might wait til he's about 13 for that one.

There's no way I'd let him anywhere near films like Saw or Hostel, even Dawn '04. He's a clever lad, he knows they're just films, but some things aren't for a child.

He's seen Thriller before, he loved that too. I reckon he's just a chip off the old block. Hell, he even spotted the trampoline, and asked why the dude wanted to check his blood pressure when there's zombies on his case.

Smart kid, sounds awesomely well adjusted and capable of dealing with a movie like that....
I saw Friday the 13th when I was about 8 and I turned out....erm...well I turned out somehow, I'll let my fifth victim give you the details.

Doc
21-Aug-2010, 07:02 PM

How would you compare The Exorcist to Day of the Dead in terms of content?

I saw Exorcist when I was about 7, and it sure did scare the hell out of me. I turned out fine for the most part.

Only negative I see is that I haven't seen that film in it's entire since, the first time I saw it.

Ghost Of War
21-Aug-2010, 07:29 PM
How would you compare The Exorcist to Day of the Dead in terms of content?

I saw Exorcist when I was about 7, and it sure did scare the hell out of me. I turned out fine for the most part.

Only negative I see is that I haven't seen that film in it's entire since, the first time I saw it.

Good question. I think the language and dialogue in The Exorcist is more mature than Dawn, so for a young kid it's probably a bit much IMO. I'd have to explain what "Your Mother sucks cocks in Hell" means. I probably wouldn't let him watch Shaun Of The Dead because of the language.
He hears bad language quite often anyway, but it's usually just me calling the referee a wanker. I've heard his friends swear when they play outside our house, but never him, so I know he's not easily influenced, and since he started boxing about a year ago, he's really matured, even for a kid.
Thing is, I don't want him to grow up too fast too soon, he needs to enjoy being a young lad. I think showing him more mature films like The Exorcist might be a thing for a few years down the line. I don't even know if he's going to enjoy horror films as much as I do, he's more into Star Wars, Dr. Who, that kind of thing.

Smart kid, sounds awesomely well adjusted and capable of dealing with a movie like that....
I saw Friday the 13th when I was about 8 and I turned out....erm...well I turned out somehow, I'll let my fifth victim give you the details.
:lol:

Thanks for the compliment as well, man. I'm really proud of him, if he stays on the right path I think he's going to go far in life. Zombie hunter, maybe?

MikePizzoff
21-Aug-2010, 09:15 PM
(cue all the uptight wimpy members to rant about how you're destroying your child by showing him these movies)

Good choice, Ghost. I, too, saw DOTD when I was 8 and it changed my whole outlook on horror movies.

People are full of shit when they say movies can fuck up a kid. If they're that mentally unstable than real-life events are more likely to mess with their heads than a scary flick.

My grandmother had me watching horror movies starting at the age of 3. Aside from a few sleepless nights, hiding under my covers staring at the closet, nothing inside my head changed.

Legion2213
22-Aug-2010, 08:21 PM
Dawn is more likely to capture a childs imagination than to mess them up IMO - It's got guns, zombies and a giant shopping mall for the protagonists to play in...your lad will never look at a shopping center in the same way again. :)

Day might be a bit more heavy going for him...but if he doesn't enjoy it, he can come back to it when he's a bit older.

Wyldwraith
23-Aug-2010, 01:24 AM
Hmm,
Compromise. Just show him an AWFUL zombie movie (like Diary) first, and he'll be too busy going "Wow, this is tons better than that cruddy Diary movie Dad" to be traumatized. ;)

Ghost Of War
23-Aug-2010, 07:15 AM
Hmm,
Compromise. Just show him an AWFUL zombie movie (like Diary) first, and he'll be too busy going "Wow, this is tons better than that cruddy Diary movie Dad" to be traumatized. ;)

Erm...I like Diary...

shootemindehead
23-Aug-2010, 09:58 AM
'Day of the Dead' is way too strong for a 10 year old. It scared the crap out of me when I saw it at 12 or so. One of the very few films to do so. Even today, I still get an uncomfortable feeling. I actually saw 'Dawn of the Dead' a few years later, due to the fact that it was extremely hard to find over here. Ha ha...remember the days when films were hard to find? Now, it's a matter of ten minutes on the interweb!

'Dawn of the Dead' is just not as well directed or acted and the effects leave a lot to be desired. It just isn't as serious or creepy as 'Day of the Dead'. But, it is a lot of fun.

In short, I'd wait a while yet.

bassman
23-Aug-2010, 12:06 PM
'Dawn of the Dead' is just not as well directed or acted and the effects leave a lot to be desired. It just isn't as serious or creepy as 'Day of the Dead'. But, it is a lot of fun.

The idea of Dawn is scary. The actual film....eh, not so much. Day would have a much larger impact on a kid today than Dawn would. Most people would just laugh at Dawn and enjoy the adventure of it all rather than be scared by it.

MinionZombie
23-Aug-2010, 12:22 PM
I think around about 12 should be fine for Day of the Dead. I first saw it when I was 14 and I absolutely loved it straight away, and it was one of the first more visceral movies I'd seen, so I was blown away by that too - same thing with The Evil Dead.

It was a great time too, because it was right when the BBFC untwisted their panties and were un-banning a whole host of kick ass horror flicks. Ahhh, memories.

Glad your kid dug Dawn. If I ever have a kid (or kids) I hope they are like me in my love for zombie movies. That'd be awesome. :)

shootemindehead
23-Aug-2010, 01:23 PM
The idea of Dawn is scary. The actual film....eh, not so much. Day would have a much larger impact on a kid today than Dawn would. Most people would just laugh at Dawn and enjoy the adventure of it all rather than be scared by it.

I think you're right. 'Dawn of the Dead' just looks incredibly dated, even for a 70's flick. I think there are too many people looking at it with rose tinted glasses on. Great (even if it's a bit dodgy effects wise) for it's time. But today....

I still see shocked reactions from people today when they see 'Day of the Dead' for the first time.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

I think around about 12 should be fine for Day of the Dead. I first saw it when I was 14 and I absolutely loved it straight away, and it was one of the first more visceral movies I'd seen, so I was blown away by that too - same thing with The Evil Dead.

It was a great time too, because it was right when the BBFC untwisted their panties and were un-banning a whole host of kick ass horror flicks. Ahhh, memories.

Glad your kid dug Dawn. If I ever have a kid (or kids) I hope they are like me in my love for zombie movies. That'd be awesome. :)

I've about 10 years on you and when I first saw 'Day of the Dead', NOTHING was getting past the censor. James Ferman (then head of the BBFC) was notoriously squimish, especially about anything with nun-chuks in it.

So, it was truly amazing that Romero's film was available (relatively unmolested) to view on video, when so many other horror films had the heart and soul cut out of them.

darth los
23-Aug-2010, 04:48 PM
The only thing i would concerened with is the language.

As a kid, once that bell is rung there's no going back.

:cool:

slickwilly13
23-Aug-2010, 04:57 PM
The only thing i would concerened with is the language.

As a kid, once that bell is rung there's no going back.

:cool:

Yes, I remember the day I learned that I could flip someone off.:evil:

Rancid Carcass
23-Aug-2010, 06:01 PM
If I ever have a kid (or kids) I hope they are like me in my love for zombie movies.

If not you could always sell 'em to an orphanage or exchange them for ones that do. :elol:

BillyRay
23-Aug-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, I remember the day I learned that I could flip someone off.:evil:

Yeah...I thought it was a secret code between us kids.

Found out differently when I flipped my Mom off....:lol:

DjfunkmasterG
23-Aug-2010, 11:49 PM
Ghost... Have you shown him Shaun of the Dead? I would probably show him that before you show him Day. 10... wow, that is a bit to young for Day of the Dead, especially considering the plethora of language spread throughout the film. Although Shaun is just as raunchy.

Since you're the Dad it is your decision... But i Agree with Bassman, if he was hiding behind a cushion from DAWN... Day might just scare the shit out of him. The opening desolation of Ft Meyers is really fucking creepy and that can have a long lasting effect on a 10 yr old, then add in the course language, and the gore... christ you might end up scarring him for life and the next thing you know he joins a message board dedicated to zombie films and talks about every if and or but that can come out of a zombie apocalypse.... and...

Hey..... :lol:

Ghost Of War
24-Aug-2010, 07:15 AM
LOL

I actually considered Shaun Of The Dead next for him, but again it's the language. There's a couple of C-bombs in there. Saying that, it'll give me an excuse to watch it first, just to see if it's suitable. He heard a lot more choice language out of me last night when Man City beat Liverpool 3-0.

dracenstein
24-Aug-2010, 08:09 AM
I had to admit to a four letter word or two myself when I heard the result...

bassman
24-Aug-2010, 12:08 PM
LOL

I actually considered Shaun Of The Dead next for him, but again it's the language. There's a couple of C-bombs in there. Saying that, it'll give me an excuse to watch it first, just to see if it's suitable. He heard a lot more choice language out of me last night when Man City beat Liverpool 3-0.

Well....at least those words are used in comedic situations rather than insulting ones. "Can I get any of you cunts a drink? What up niggas???, etc". Just explain to him that they're bad words, but in this case used as comedy and I would think he would understand at that age. Besides....he's probably already heard these words anyway. If he's in public school, that is.

Neil
24-Aug-2010, 03:14 PM
If Dawn scared him......Day is gonna make him shit his pants.:lol:

Might wanna hold off on that one for a while...

Day is easily the darkest and goriest... Your call...

Ghost Of War
24-Aug-2010, 03:15 PM
Well....at least those words are used in comedic situations rather than insulting ones. "Can I get any of you cunts a drink? What up niggas???, etc". Just explain to him that they're bad words, but in this case used as comedy and I would think he would understand at that age. Besides....he's probably already heard these words anyway. If he's in public school, that is.

Oh, he's heard those words. I often wonder if I've got Tourette's Syndrome.

shootemindehead
24-Aug-2010, 03:21 PM
I had to admit to a four letter word or two myself when I heard the result...

Some of us are still uttering 4 letter words today.:(

paranoid101
24-Aug-2010, 05:24 PM
My son who was 15 at the time loved Dawn of the Dead, but found Day really boring, in his word there was too much Talking and not enough Zombies.

AcesandEights
24-Aug-2010, 05:30 PM
My son who was 15 at the time loved Dawn of the Dead, but found Day really boring, in his word there was too much Talking and not enough Zombies.

Hmmm, I can kind of see that for a young teen, I guess. If the untenable situation the survivors are stuck in doesn't reel you in, then I guess it would just be a lot of talking. Even still, I always found it well paced, but I don't think I saw the movie till I was a few years older than your son at his first exposure to it and may have had more of a connection to the characters and their situation, especially since the subtext really struck home with a cold war era kid like myself.