PDA

View Full Version : The Mysterious and Elusive Romero Non-Zombie Horror Project

krakenslayer
23-Aug-2010, 08:12 PM
"I can’t really tell you the storyline because it’s sort of a one-trick pony and I’m trying to keep it secret", he said about the project. "But it’s a non-zombie horror film, and for the first time really in my whole career…you know, people call me the ‘scare guy’ and I don’t think of my movies as scary at all. Not since ‘Night of the Living Dead’ when I was trying to sort of get under your skin a little bit and make it kinda creepy, I’ve sort of gone comic book with everything, and the scares are just sort of tricks, you know? Loud sounds, quick movements…they’re not the kind of films that get under your skin. So this is a psychological drama, it’s psychological fear. We’re working on it right now. In fact, I’ve been writing the script. I should have it finished in a couple of weeks."

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21396

Apparently he wants to cut-away the goofiness and take his next film back to genuine horror. Sounds interesting.

bassman
23-Aug-2010, 08:15 PM
I doubt it will ever happen, to be honest. No zombies. No money.

krakenslayer
23-Aug-2010, 08:19 PM
I doubt it will ever happen, to be honest. No zombies. No money.

Yeah, it's been ten years since his last non-zombie movie. Still, it all depends upon the economics - how expensive is it to shoot, will any known actors put their name to the script, is it any good? Etc., etc.

Trin
23-Aug-2010, 08:30 PM
You all know I'm mostly interested in GAR sticking to zombies. Because I love zombies. GAR zombies. I don't really care about much else from GAR....

However, it may be that what he needs is to break away from the stigma of the Dead stuff to regain his bearings. We have been debating for years whether lofty fan expectations led to disapproval of Land. Well, maybe fan and critic expectations made Land bad. Maybe if GAR leaves the Dead stuff alone for a while he won't feel the pressure to infuse commentary and social message into his movies to the degree he does with the Dead franchise. It could ultimately be good for him to do something with no expectations. He can focus on just making a good movie. Then come back to us Dead fans with a new perspective when he adds to his beloved series. (shut up - I can dream)

If the concept/script is good the money will follow. I refuse to believe that GAR is pidgeon holed in zombies.

bassman
23-Aug-2010, 08:40 PM
If the concept/script is good the money will follow. I refuse to believe that GAR is pidgeon holed in zombies.

I dunno man....he's had quite a few go nowhere.

(taken from the Unproduced Romero Scripts thread)

Bolts By Michael Gornick & George Romero 1985 (Laurel Entertainment)

Copperhead Conquers the Warhawks by George Romero and Jim Shooter 1983 (Laurel Entertainment and Marvel Entertainment Group)

Imagine That story by George Romero; screenplay by Donald Bohlinger & J. Nathan 1986 (Laurel Entertainment) (actually there is a record of a treatment for this film being copyrighted in 1981 and many, many different versions of a screenplay including revisions by John Harrison, Michael McDowell, Donald Bohlinger, and James Nathan)

The Devil’s Advocate teleplay/director’s shooting script by George A. Romero 1985 (Laurel TV)

Frankenstein film treatment by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Generic Movie film treatment by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Gunperson screenplay by George A. Romero 1973 (Laurel Entertainment)

Hoffmann - through the mansions of the moon treatment for a musical play by George A. Romero 1985 (Promittor, Inc.)

Jacaranda Joe screenplay by George A. Romero 1994 (Sanibel Films, Inc.)

Knights original screenplay, first draft by George A. Romero 1979 (The Laurel Group, Inc.) (could this be related to Knightriders, a sequel perhaps?)

Old soldiers never die, Satan sends them back!: Day of the dead by George A. Romero 1983 (Laurel Entertainment, Inc.) (what the hell is this?)

The Phantom Strikes by George A. Romero 1982 (Laurel Entertainment)

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 2 by George A. Romero, Michael McDowell, and Gahan Wilson 1992 (Laurel-DSM, Inc.) (I had no idea a sequel was written!!)

Whiz Kid screenplay by George A. Romero 1986 (Sanibel Films)

Synopsis of The Necronomicon by George A. Romero 1979 (The Laurel Group, Inc./Filmauro, S.R.L)

And this isn't even all of it. It may sound silly, but I would love to see the guy's musical/comedy or Tarzan film that he used to talk about...

ChokeOnEm
23-Aug-2010, 11:12 PM
As a fan, I'd like to see George pursue projects he's passionate about - especially in the twilight of his career. In a recent Fangoria issue, Romero briefly touched upon a dream Golem movie he envisions, set during the time of the Holocaust. The project sounded very cool. At the same time, a non-zombie Romero horror movie could be just as medicore as his recent 'Dead' output. When 'Bruiser' came out and was panned, the fanboy consensus was that George should return to the genre in which he excels - "Dead" films. Well, he did exactly that, and I'd argue that his past three films have been as flawed as "Bruiser", "Dark Half", or any of his flawed non-Dead works