PDA

View Full Version : Two more Romero Dead films are on the way...

Mr.G
25-Aug-2010, 01:05 AM
Sorry just noticed this is a duplicate thread...mods feel free to merge or delete. Interesting article...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21416

Dr Tongue
25-Aug-2010, 01:27 AM
I welcome more George Zombie movies. but let's face it, I don't think Survival will make a lot of money on DVD. I bought the Blu Ray, but I am in the minority that liked the film.

darth los
25-Aug-2010, 02:00 AM
I welcome more George Zombie movies. but let's face it, I don't think Survival will make a lot of money on DVD. I bought the Blu Ray, but I am in the minority that liked the film.

Survival was just released today on blu ray and it's already scheduled to be watchable for free on my netflix instant queue for free on 9-23-10 if that tells you anything.

:cool:

Dr Tongue
25-Aug-2010, 02:21 AM
Survival was just released today on blu ray and it's already scheduled to be watchable for free on my netflix instant queue for free on 9-23-10 if that tells you anything.

A month? Is that a long time in Netflix standards?

Interesting.

bassman
25-Aug-2010, 02:24 AM
Fingers crossed. Again.:|

Wyldwraith
25-Aug-2010, 07:52 AM
::shakes head::
I've read something like that interview before from GAR, and honestly, it makes me genuinely want to cave his skull in with a tire iron that's he's THAT DAMNED OBTUSE.

Wants to follow minor characters from a completely shit film, and thus make two more COMPLETELY SHIT FILMS...::sighs:: Lord, walk with George, for he has lost the light, and the brain You gave him. And Lord, if you'd like to do me a favor? Smite Romero with a meteorite before he can COMPLETELY demolish his legacy by continuing to be this darn stupid. Amen.

Fecunditatis
25-Aug-2010, 09:07 AM
In fact, you don't need to go further than this statement:

"So I guess leave me alone and give me the creative control, and what you get is…you know, you can blame me for it all the way. You know, I never know if this stuff is working. They're all little conceits and fun that I'm having, and I hope that it's fun for the audience too".

It is obvious that, in regards to his Dead films, he is not interested in suspension of disbelief anymore. It was obvious in "Land" (which basically worked as an allegory in the vein of Poe's "Masque of Red Death") and it was obvious in "Diary" (particularly in its stylised use of subjective camera, which I simply can't believe that it ever intended to look or feel "realistic"). These, like "Survival" and the "zombie-noir" if he gets to make it, are exercises in style and cinematic convention. That may be good, bad or indifferent, but one way or the other, it remains obvious that Romero will not be making the film many of you seem to still expect from him.

All the same, as much as you may dislike Romero's recent films, I don't see how coult they "demolish his legacy". His legacy is very much alive and well, thank you, in the works of Kirkman, Brooks and many other lesser talents who are getting (mostly deserved) praise for following his lead. Frankly, why the anger?

Trin
25-Aug-2010, 01:58 PM
All the same, as much as you may dislike Romero's recent films, I don't see how coult they "demolish his legacy". His legacy is very much alive and well, thank you, in the works of Kirkman, Brooks and many other lesser talents who are getting (mostly deserved) praise for following his lead. Frankly, why the anger?
Maybe not demolish, but the legacy has a large number of dents. And as time goes by the movie going audiences who never saw Night/Dawn/Day in their prime are going to remember Romero (if they remember him at all) for Land/Diary/Survival. Some will remember hearing about the legendary filmmaker returning to his beloved franchise and then seeing Land and wondering what all the hoopla was about.

You see people on this board say "he must've just gotten lucky" when we discuss why Night/Dawn/Day were so great compared to Land/Diary/Survival. Compared to the mid-80's where you couldn't mention horror without Romero being the de facto standard for horror. If that isn't a legacy tainted I don't know what is.

Honestly, in the younger generation who thinks of Ozzy as the bat-chewing Lord of Darkness? Dude was one of the most hardcore frontmen who ever lived and now people see him as a stuttering and nearly brain dead reality show guy whose wife and daughter lead him around as he picks up dog poop from the carpet. You don't see anyone speculating that Jim Morrison would've ended up that way.

LouCipherr
25-Aug-2010, 02:05 PM
Maybe not demolish, but the legacy has a large number of dents. And as time goes by the movie going audiences who never saw Night/Dawn/Day in their prime are going to remember Romero (if they remember him at all) for Land/Diary/Survival. Some will remember hearing about the legendary filmmaker returning to his beloved franchise and then seeing Land and wondering what all the hoopla was about.

You see people on this board say "he must've just gotten lucky" when we discuss why Night/Dawn/Day were so great compared to Land/Diary/Survival. Compared to the mid-80's where you couldn't mention horror without Romero being the de facto standard for horror. If that isn't a legacy tainted I don't know what is.

Honestly, in the younger generation who thinks of Ozzy as the bat-chewing Lord of Darkness? Dude was one of the most hardcore frontmen who ever lived and now people see him as a stuttering and nearly brain dead reality show guy whose wife and daughter lead him around as he picks up dog poop from the carpet. You don't see anyone speculating that Jim Morrison would've ended up that way.

I have nothing else to add, but this pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

Wyldwraith
25-Aug-2010, 02:46 PM
I'll explain my anger at Romero,
The man's conceit is galling and so extensive I actually find it offensive. He blithely says things like "I never have any idea if these things a working..." (referring to his feeling about films of his as they're being made). Let me put what he's saying in a bit different choice of words and maybe you'll see my point.

Romero: "I never really expend any energy or make any effort to determine if one of my new Dead films are going to be enjoyable to watch."

It's like he believes that the money he spends, and the labor of the individuals who work on the movie with him occurs and exists for no other reason for him to play around and entertain himself.

I know, I know, some people believe that creative license and artistic freedom exist for exactly the reason Romero describes. Ie: That the director has no obligation to anyone despite himself. That it's irrelevant he's spending someone else's money to pay for his playtime, because of sentiments like "Investors should know better than to give me money if they're expecting me to devote myself to making a good movie, instead of simply creating a movie-making process I enjoy" says Romero.

All of that misses the real mark though. The REAL source of my anger with the man. That I sum up with this...

How can this man, who made three genre-defining movies, GENRE CREATING movies, who has the capacity to make a fourth equally high-quality film anytime he likes...how can he instead keep churning out this CRAP, and not even seem to understand that Land falls WELL below the gold-standard of the Original Trilogy, and that Diary and Survival are MOCKERIES of the Original Trilogy, so awful are they?

How can Romero NOT see that there is a fundamental, incredibly profound absence of quality which separates his recent works from his early classics?

It would be one thing if he didn't WANT to make a zombie movie, or if he explained where these last two films went so horribly wrong when compared to Night/Dawn/Day...but he genuinely doesn't GET IT. To Romero, Diary & Survival are such worthy successors to the Original Trilogy that the mark he's aiming for are a pair of movies just like Diary/Survival instead of the greatness he's unable to see in the first three Dead films.

That outlook, beyond everything else, INSURES that all we're ever going to get from Romero from now until he quits/dies are movies that make Rob Zombie, Zach Snyder and UWE BOLL look like pioneering geniuses of the zombie-movie genre.

That's it. That's where my venom originates. Can't explain my pure undiluted hatred of the perspective he expresses in that interview. The sheer arrogance of it just whips something inside me that ADORED Night/Dawn & Day into a fury.

My .02
Your mileage may as always vary. Just please understand that God Himself couldn't restore what Romero ripped to pieces with those words. Namely, my respect for his vision and talent.

darth los
25-Aug-2010, 02:52 PM

I agree with lou and trin.

Joe "The Yankee Clipper" DiMAgio used to say that he always gave his best every game he played because there might be someone in the crowd who never seen him play before and judge him based off of that.

Trin
25-Aug-2010, 03:17 PM
How can this man, who made three genre-defining movies, GENRE CREATING movies, who has the capacity to make a fourth equally high-quality film anytime he likes...how can he instead keep churning out this CRAP, and not even seem to understand that Land falls WELL below the gold-standard of the Original Trilogy, and that Diary and Survival are MOCKERIES of the Original Trilogy, so awful are they?
It makes you wonder... if he had to choose which movies are his best work, would he choose Night/Dawn/Day or would he choose Land/Diary/Survival? Or maybe even some of his other stuff?

bassman
25-Aug-2010, 03:22 PM
I just say "oh well". I'll always like Night and LOVE Dawn/Day. Nothing will ever change that. It's his career...he can do with it as he likes.

True, it may tarnish his image with new generations but I don't think that's a problem. His films are very much under the radar now, so any further drop won't hurt. It was always going to be a select group of fans that like the originals.

At least he's getting to do what he missed out on in the nineties. Let the old fella have his fun. It's just not very fun for us.

I mean....Kubrick was a genius and his last film was Eyes Wide Shut. Not that it's a horrible movie, but it's far from his revolutionary work that came before.

Fecunditatis
25-Aug-2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry, it seems that we’re talking about two different things.

If by Romero’s legacy we mean his reputation, then of course that it’s been damaged. But I agree with Bassman: he can do with his career as he likes. More than that, I think he has earned the right to do so. He’s been ripped off since the very beginning while others are making fortunes by exploiting the genre he created. If he’s so happy with “Diary” and “Survival”, with the process of making them and how both films have turned out, in my opinion he deserves at least that luxury and, if possible, he deserves to be able to do a couple more if that’s his wish. In the meantime, those of us who need our fix of living dead horror just need to wait til next Halloween to get six and a half hours of it in convenient weekly instalments. Really, could we ask for more?

I mean... have you watched the Argento cut of “Dawn of the Dead”? That’s the version we got in Spain. I didn’t get to watch Romero’s cut until I was about twenty, and I found there some of the elements that many of you complain about in recent Romero films. The cheesy music (“Don’t mess with Texas”), the deliberate goofiness… Argento’s cut was tighter, stronger, harsher, devoid of almost any slapstick (he kept the pie fight, anyhow). Being used to that, Romero’s version was surprising. Not disappointing, but different. At points it made more sense (Argento was never one to worry about logic), and at others it was quite less scary. So when he finally came back and did “Land” and all that came after it, I was certain that I wouldn’t get “the Argento cut”, not even horror films, but something different and, hopefully, interesting in its own terms. (For the record: I actually enjoy “Survival” and particularly the horse-riding zombie idea; but then, one of my all time favourites is “Cemetery Man”).

Really, I don’t see why should we worry about what the younger audience will think of Romero. I’m not sure that it worries him very much and, anyway, youngsters will always think that rock’n’roll was invented last summer.

ProfessorChaos
25-Aug-2010, 04:45 PM
some excellent points have been made already by trin and wraith, my thoughts and sentiments over romero's direction in recent years are well expressed by these guys already.

having said that, unless i hear loads of great reviews from people with similar feelings about the new vs. old romero films, i won't be wasting any more time with any new dead films by romero. do something else for fuck's sake. i always hear of other ideas he's got, but he just keeps turning out shit movies. i still haven't seen the majority of survival, the beginning was just that fucking bad. so two new ones, right after a string of disappointing films?
http://www.funnydogsite.com/pictures/Do_Not_Want_Dog.jpg

the walking dead and (maybe) world war z are enough for me. TWD especially, i think, will be about the best thing to happen to the genre since romero's original trilogy...and if the recipe is right for WWZ, it could be totally epic as well. way more excited about these projects than i could ever muster up for anything new from romero. truth be told, i was glad to hear that he won't be involved in TWD in any way.

Fecunditatis
25-Aug-2010, 04:57 PM
They have hinted that it's very likely that he will be directing an episode in season two. Sorry!

bassman
25-Aug-2010, 04:59 PM
They have hinted that it's very likely that he will be directing an episode in season two. Sorry!

Romero himself has stated that he has NOT been approached and would most likely turn it down anyway. He said this just a few days ago while promoting the Survival Blu Ray.

MinionZombie
25-Aug-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't particularly fancy following the "don't mess with Texas" chick, but I do like the idea of following that band of black dudes from Diary. That seemed like a kick ass side story which we only got a glimpse of.

Fecunditatis
25-Aug-2010, 05:13 PM
Romero himself has stated that he has NOT been approached and would most likely turn it down anyway. He said this just a few days ago while promoting the Survival Blu Ray.

Now I'm sorry! Well, at least that should mean that he can afford to turn it down.