PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else cave and buy the Survival dvd?

ChokeOnEm
25-Aug-2010, 06:08 PM
I hoped to pick up the mostly bare bones single disc version that included nothing but a Romero commentary track. Three stores later, it seems that the 2-disc ultimate edition is the only one available for purchase, (while the single disc is available to rent). I have previously shilled out money for deluxe dvd editions before, even for Romero films, but frankly, I don’t need a feature length documentary detailing the making of ‘Survival.’ It’s really, well, just not THAT good of a movie. The Disc 2 documentary has some interesting behind-the-scenes insights, but it’s is mostly disposable. When the host is not trying overly hard to be funny, he shoehorns his own blowhard partisan political views into the making-of doc. My own similar political views notwithstanding, this is out of place. George never passes up a chance to attack Republican politics in his movies. That should be more than enough.

My feelings on the actual movie itself remains mostly the same. I still think that while "Survival" offers up headshots aplenty, it is sadly lacking in the gore department. With George’s writing faculties somewhat dulled, a few more dismemberments can make all the difference between a rental and a buy. "Land Unrated" provides the goods, while "Diary", and now "Survival", sadly come up short. It is, however, one of George’s most beautifully shot movies – whatever the DP got paid was probably not enough. O’Flynn and Muldoon remain two of the most over-the-top scenery chewing characters in Romero’s cannon since Kaufmann, and maybe even Rhodes. As others have noted, upon the main characters arriving on the island the plot gets stuck in neutral. Scenes of the Muldoons teaching the dead to eat pig are reminiscent of Dr. Frankenstein with Bub, and help break-up the monotony, but things don’t really pick-up until the climactic zombie chowfest, which feels strangely underpopulated.

C

darth los
25-Aug-2010, 07:52 PM
George never passes up a chance to attack Republican politics in his movies.

I knew there was a reason I loved that man! :sneaky:

:cool:

bassman
25-Aug-2010, 08:16 PM
So the features are no good? Maybe i'll be passing all together on this one after all....

As a big fan of behind the scenes docs, i'm curious if everyone else shares this opinion? If the making of isn't worth it, i'm just not shelling out for this one...

It's a damn shame. If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would be passing up on a new Romero Dead DVD, I would've laughed in your face and called your mother a whore. Now you would have to call my mother a whore if you saw me buying it. :lol:

ProfessorChaos
25-Aug-2010, 08:56 PM
i don't think i'd even take a copy of survival for free, even if it was signed by mr. romero himself.

If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would be passing up on a new Romero Dead DVD, I would've laughed in your face and called your mother a whore. Now you would have to call my mother a whore if you saw me buying it. :lol:

that's signature line worthy. never signature quoted anybody (or really bothered with a signature at all, for that matter) before, but given how shitty survival was and how hard i lol'd at this, i'm going for it. hope you don't mind.

AcesandEights
26-Aug-2010, 12:24 AM
i don't think i'd even take a copy of survival for free, even if it was signed by mr. romero himself.

Wow, Prof.! That's hardcore, my friend.

Then again, I used my copy of Diary as a coaster, so I can respect where you may be coming from.

ProfessorChaos
26-Aug-2010, 12:35 AM
seriously, doug....watching that movie, i was almost embarrassed for old george....i saw so much wrong in the short 30 minutes i suffered through that i had to turn it off and have lost all faith in romero doing anything even remotely close to his big 3. and i highly doubt his future films will be any better.

kinda seems to me that romero has pulled a move similar to the call of duty and tony hawk video game franchises. over-saturation of material that gets progressively lamer.

Dr Tongue
26-Aug-2010, 12:40 AM
So the features are no good? Maybe i'll be passing all together on this one after all....

As a big fan of behind the scenes docs, i'm curious if everyone else shares this opinion? If the making of isn't worth it, i'm just not shelling out for this one...

It's a damn shame. If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would be passing up on a new Romero Dead DVD, I would've laughed in your face and called your mother a whore. Now you would have to call my mother a whore if you saw me buying it. :lol:
It had an hour and twenty minute documentary about the making of. I actually enjoyed it, and special features aren't that big of a deal to me. So that's saying something :sneaky:

Playing Devils advocate here. How do people expect a "Dawn of the Dead" when they have been boycotting his last three movies, in turn making him less money for another epic? :p

ChokeOnEm
26-Aug-2010, 12:43 AM

No, the dvd package overall is well done. Upon further thought, the documentary is also fairly good and details Survival's production on a day-to-day basis. If you hate the movie, however, no amount of extras are likely to reduce your suffering. I passed on buying Diary for that exact reason.

Mr.G
26-Aug-2010, 12:59 AM
How do people expect a "Dawn of the Dead" when they have been boycotting his last three movies, in turn making him less money for another epic? :p

What? People aren't boycotting....they are seeing the finished product(s) and expressing their opinion. The new trilogy sucks. It's hard to think it was the same director. I'm not hating, GAR can make movies until he dies but I'm not going to keep giving him money to pump out a shitty product.

I have the utmost respect for GAR, the original trilogy, and several of his other movies, but it stops there.

childofgilead
26-Aug-2010, 02:23 AM
I agree, I see no reason to boycott it at all..I mean..I WANT to support him on the one hand, but then again, I'm afraid by doing so that it'll result in encouraging more..well, of this..

On the one hand, you wonder if you have too high of expectations..but on that other hand, based on past performance..SOME past performance, is it so wrong to expect something entertaining?

The best things about the original 3 was talking with friends who'd just been introduced to the movies, talking about what they thought of the characters and their actions and decisions..

But Survival, and to a lesser extent Land just make me mad..who behaves this way? And don't get me started on Diary..it was..a little more watchable than Land, but the characters were just so gutter stupid it hurt my brain..

I guess..I dunno, I'd honestly recommend if you HAVE to see it, rent it first. Based on the 20 or so minutes of the commentary I listened to, I didn't feel I missed on anything after I turned it off and put it back in the case.

TCDarkness
01-Sep-2010, 03:11 AM
I was thinking of renting it, but it's in my DVD queue on Netflix and showing an instant viewing (streaming) availability date of 9/23. Free (besides the Netflix fees), now that's the right price. :lol:

Legion2213
01-Sep-2010, 07:48 AM
Playing Devils advocate here. How do people expect a "Dawn of the Dead" when they have been boycotting his last three movies, in turn making him less money for another epic? :p

I bought Land and Diary on DVD..then I re-bought them on Blu-Ray (even though I knew that Land was terrible and Diary was complete excrement). Do you know that I've never even watched the BD versions? I bought Blu-Rays that I knew were terrible because of my loyalty.

I'd hardly call that a boycott, I'd call it supporting GAR and hoping he can produce another movie (which he did, which was by all accounts worse than the last two). I've not seen Survival and the only way I can see myself buying it is if I find it dirt cheap in a Blu-bargain basket one day.

I am boycotting him now I suppose, in respect that my interest in his new stuff has been ratcheted down to "meh, can't be arsed". :(

AcesandEights
01-Sep-2010, 02:25 PM
Might buy it on the way home from work today...not sure.

bassman
01-Sep-2010, 02:26 PM
Might buy it on the way home from work today...not sure.

I've been saying the same thing for a week now. Sad, really.:dead:

darth los
01-Sep-2010, 02:58 PM
I've been saying the same thing for a week now. Sad, really.:dead:

What's worse? That or me having it for a week with the "I'll get to it this weekend attitude.

Agian, Gar can do whatever he wants with his franchise but this reaction from long time, hardcore fans is what he's reaping.

You know, the people who actually know who he is. :rolleyes:

You know the people who, given decent films, will unconditionally support him.

From my experience, non dead fans (by that I mean people who would watch that sort of movie but don't recognize his name) have to have it explained to him who he is.

I'll be like "George Romero" And i'll get a blank stare. it's only when I say he's the guy that made Night and dawn that they'll be like "oh yeah", He made those?

You just keep on with the cgi gag kills. Good luck with all that. :dead:

AcesandEights
01-Sep-2010, 03:03 PM
Damn, you guys are weakening my resolve. Didn't someone mention it would be available for stream on Netflix later this month, anyway? Maybe I will wait after all...:(

Neil
01-Sep-2010, 04:53 PM
You know, I was left so luke warm by Diary, I've still not watched Survival? Should I ban myself from the site?

DEAD BEAT
01-Sep-2010, 04:55 PM
I hoped to pick up the mostly bare bones single disc version that included nothing but a Romero commentary track. Three stores later, it seems that the 2-disc ultimate edition is the only one available for purchase, (while the single disc is available to rent). I have previously shilled out money for deluxe dvd editions before, even for Romero films, but frankly, I don’t need a feature length documentary detailing the making of ‘Survival.’ It’s really, well, just not THAT good of a movie. The Disc 2 documentary has some interesting behind-the-scenes insights, but it’s is mostly disposable. When the host is not trying overly hard to be funny, he shoehorns his own blowhard partisan political views into the making-of doc. My own similar political views notwithstanding, this is out of place. George never passes up a chance to attack Republican politics in his movies. That should be more than enough.

My feelings on the actual movie itself remains mostly the same. I still think that while "Survival" offers up headshots aplenty, it is sadly lacking in the gore department. With George’s writing faculties somewhat dulled, a few more dismemberments can make all the difference between a rental and a buy. "Land Unrated" provides the goods, while "Diary", and now "Survival", sadly come up short. It is, however, one of George’s most beautifully shot movies – whatever the DP got paid was probably not enough. O’Flynn and Muldoon remain two of the most over-the-top scenery chewing characters in Romero’s cannon since Kaufmann, and maybe even Rhodes. As others have noted, upon the main characters arriving on the island the plot gets stuck in neutral. Scenes of the Muldoons teaching the dead to eat pig are reminiscent of Dr. Frankenstein with Bub, and help break-up the monotony, but things don’t really pick-up until the climactic zombie chowfest, which feels strangely underpopulated.

C

"I SURE BOUGHT IT" was takin' a narley shit the other night (after hours of course) and wouldn't you know it TP runs out and no store open in site, all i can say is..... "THANK GOD FOR NET FLICKS!" ;)

darth los
01-Sep-2010, 05:02 PM
Damn, you guys are weakening my resolve. Didn't someone mention it would be available for stream on Netflix later this month, anyway? Maybe I will wait after all...:(

It was mentioned by me in another thread and this one as well.

It's gonna be available on the 23rd to stream via the instant q.

You've waited this long, 3 weeks isn't gonna kill ya.

And does anyone know what the pick a side feature (humans or zombies) on the page before the movie begins means?

MoonSylver
01-Sep-2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I caved, I bought it. Here was my reaction:

Whelp...pay day is here. So I bought it. I watched it. My reaction?...

:| :stunned: :( :confused: :dead: :bored:

I liked Land. I liked Diary (flawed though it may have been). I went into it fully prepared to embrace it & refute all the claims of those who have been hating it, but in the end...eh....

I'm not going to go into hysetrics & claim it's the worst thing since Adolph Hitler. But I didn't enjoy it very much. Bad dialog. Bad performances ( a shame as I REALLY was looking forward to Van Sprang's character.) Didn't think the over-the-top zombie kills would bug me...but they did. I dunno. Can't 100% put my finger on what didn't work about this one for me, but it just didn't click.

I'll probably give it another view sometime & I have a feeling I might like it a tad better now that I know what to expect. But right now I'm a bit disappointed. And sad.

Been thinking about it a lot, & my opinion hasn't changed. Only other thing I could think of was after seeing the awesome trailer for "The Walking Dead" it kinda pointed out a glairing flaw:

All of the older moves (& even the newer ones really), were more about the characters. It was average people against this backdrop of the dead returning to life & then watching what happened to them & how they delt with it.

This one didn't feel like that at all. It felt like it was all about A) the gags & B) cardboard characters being trotted through a railroad of a script -

"We've gotta get to the island, we're getting to the island, we're on the island, big showdown, message about not getting along, roll credits."

I love George. I really do. I wanted to like this one SO BAD. And I just didn't.
:(

It didn't even feel like a GAR movie, more like some hack trying to do a rip off of a GAR movie.

Danny
01-Sep-2010, 06:31 PM
You know, I was left so luke warm by Diary, I've still not watched Survival? Should I ban myself from the site?

B-but YOUR THE ONLY MOD THAT STILL VISITS!?!
what would become of the forum then?

AcesandEights
01-Sep-2010, 06:42 PM
It was mentioned by me in another thread and this one as well.

It's gonna be available on the 23rd to stream via the instant q.

You've waited this long, 3 weeks isn't gonna kill ya.
Ah, thanks for re-confirming the info, Darth. I think I will wait and save the cash. If it's decent I can always pick up a DVD or BR version later. That's a big if, though...

B-but YOUR THE ONLY MOD THAT STILL VISITS!?!
what would become of the forum then?
A scary, yet very good point!

ChokeOnEm
01-Sep-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry I bought it. The first dvd was defective (kept freezing at the 80 minute mark). I exchanged it, only to get home and find that the second copy had a big ugly scratch down the cover (note to self: never let the sales clerk pick out merchanise for you). Now I have a third copy. I sooo don't wanna waste 90 minutes sitting thru this pos again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::lol:

Still more entertaining than Diary tho.

DubiousComforts
01-Sep-2010, 10:04 PM
Nope, didn't cave and buy the DVD. I bought the Blu-Ray. :D

Very nice package with a cool lenticular cover and a choice of either Living or Dead-themed menus. Not bad for $15. I was too busy during the weeks that 'Survival' was screening in NYC, and couldn't be bothered with all this VOD crap, so the blu-ray was my first chance to view the movie.

I enjoyed Survival and honestly don't understand what all this bellyaching is aboot. Of course it's not going to have the impact of the original trilogy films. But then, no film has been able to match the experience of seeing NIGHT for the first time in the mid-70s, so my expectations are grounded in reality.

MoonSylver
01-Sep-2010, 10:29 PM
I enjoyed Survival and honestly don't understand what all this bellyaching is aboot. Of course it's not going to have the impact of the original trilogy films. But then, no film has been able to match the experience of seeing NIGHT for the first time in the mid-70s, so my expectations are grounded in reality.

Honestly though Dubious, I didn't even enjoy it compared to Land & Diary, & this is from someone who LIKED both of those films, enjoyed them very much, & defended them from their detractors. I don't think this one suffers in comparison just to the older films, but from the last two as well.

I've already enumerated my reasons why, & honestly there's still a nagging SOMETHING that I can't put my finger on. I really need to sit down & watch a second time.

Who knows? Maybe I just ate a bad chili dog & had an unpleasant viewing experience the first time & will walk away from a second viewing w/ a totally different view...:confused: :lol:

Wyldwraith
02-Sep-2010, 12:07 AM
Don't feel bad Neil,
I've only been able to slog through Survival in bits and pieces, painfully at that. I watched another total crapfest that even derivatively rips off OTHER pieces of crap and mediocre films today Last of the Living.

Bunch of Aussies, in a world-setting so lame its absolutely painful. The streets are PRISTINE. I mean absolute ghost-town, not so much as a speck of dust on store windows, utterly absent all vehicles on streets pristine. And this is supposed to be after a MASSIVE global zombie apocalypse.

Which brought me to the movies next failing. No zombies outside. Like maybe 10-11 in the entire film. Only 3 scenes with more than a trio of zombies together in the entire film.

Then the movie rips off Dawn '04's ending as a close-to-end-of-movie "plot twist" (I gag as I call it that), after already having gang-sodomized Shaun of the Dead for the ENTIRE MOVIE ripping it off CONSTANTLY. The characters are so damned irritating you're LITERALLY sitting there in an empty room talking to the TV screen, begging zombies to eat them, and then when they die, the death scenes are so lame and gore-free that you're not even satisfied they suffered nearly enough for raping your eyes with their hideously bad acting.

The zombies are TEN TIMES slower than Savini Night-zombies for 5/6ths of the movie, before moving into Faster-Than-Raptor Mode when convenient to make the painfully failed attempt at a tense plot point try and work for the last 15 minutes of the movie, with no transition or clue as to why these newest zombies are moving at FUCKING WARP SPEED.

I mean literally, there's a scene where the last surviving human takes off at a dead sprint through the woods after cold-cocking his zombified former comrade with a golf driver, and they literally show him sprinting flat out for a solid 3-4 minutes. THEN they flash back to his now-zombified comrade ONLY NOW getting off the ground, and proceeding to speed after him in pursuit, jumping from small hilltops a good 15 feet to the top of the next hilltop to avoid the little depressions the human keeps stumbling, rolling down and running back up the other side.

Towards the end of the chase the human reaches the coast and there's conveniently a rowboat with oars sitting on the beach. So he starts dragging the rowboat towards the surf, takes maybe 60 seconds to movie this light-ass rowboat to the water's edge, then the zombie crests the ridge, leaps straight off the top of the hill, goes down to one knee after this huge jump Blade-style, springs up, and in one smooth motion charges at a dead sprint towards the surviving human, now brandishing a heavy oar. The human again cold cocks him, repeatedly. Like severe enough the zombie's head shoulda been smashed Gallagher-style, but no, the zombie just falls down and lays there, presumably terminated. So then the camera stays on the guy as he gets in the boat and starts rowing out to sea. For like 3-4 mins (had my eye on the clock)...he's so far out that when the camera pans back to face the island he rowed away from the island is a TINY smudge against the horizon.

ONLY THEN does his zombified buddy leap over the edge of the aft/rear of the rowboat, presumably having speed-swam or power-walked across miles of ocean bottom and then swum up at great speed towards the surface. (You can see from the color of the water its deep oceanic light blue and almost transparent. Anyways, the human sticks the golfclub handle through his undead buddy's eye and leaves the driver-head flush against his forehead, but not before holding out the critical blood-vial that the WHOLE DAMNED MOVIE has been about, the cure in its raw form to turning all the zombies back to humans, and letting the zombie knock it out of his hand and into the water while he's whimpering "I've got the cure, stop man, I can cure you" (to the zombie). Then he golf-club kills him and rows off, roll credits.

HERE is why I wrote all this out. I kept finding myself talking to the screen, doing an unconscious Stan from South Park imitation "Really? REALLY?!?" over and over...and then in the depths of my disgust at how awful, how much worse than Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave and Day '08 (which it actually ripped off some) it was....this thought popped into my head.

"God, that was AWFUL. Meh, least it was better than Diary and WAY better than Survival.

So, in conclusion, despite Last of the Living being the 3rd worst zombie movie I have EVER seen, Survival is STILL WORSE.

So that's a no, won't be buying the Survival DVD, and would throw the vile thing at anyone who tried to force me to accept it as a gift.

Know that I-Phone mocking cartoon? Ie: "It prints money, it grants 3 wishes, even if one of those wishes is for an I-Phone, it will build you an island and then turn into a jet and fly you there...."?

I wouldn't accept a Survival DVD if it DID print money, and it DID build me an island and turn into a luxuriously appointed private jet to fly me there. MAYBE if it granted me three wishes, because after I spent two wishes on really cool stuff, I could wish that Romero had remained true to his talent and had made GOOD Dead Films instead of the trash that is Diary/Survival, thus paradoxically erasing/negating/obliterating the copy of the Survival DVD that had tainted me merely by the box touching my flesh.

MoonSylver
02-Sep-2010, 12:16 AM
http://www.the-icebox.com/CaptainHyperbole!.jpg

;):p:lol:

clanglee
02-Sep-2010, 12:51 AM
Honestly though Dubious, I didn't even enjoy it compared to Land & Diary, & this is from someone who LIKED both of those films, enjoyed them very much, & defended them from their detractors. :
I think this is why I ended up liking Survival. I was not a big fan of Land, and Diary was pretty rancid. . . .so my expectations were really very low for Survival. So when I found out it wasn't the shit heap I expected, I was pleasantly surprised. On further watchings of Survival, it has gotten worse tho. So it may be a mood thing.

DubiousComforts
02-Sep-2010, 12:51 AM
Honestly though Dubious, I didn't even enjoy it compared to Land & Diary, & this is from someone who LIKED both of those films, enjoyed them very much, & defended them from their detractors. I don't think this one suffers in comparison just to the older films, but from the last two as well.
Your assessment is a fair one: you didn't enjoy it, but you're not threatening to rip out your own spleen over it. ;)

My biggest criticism of Survival would be that it's not nearly long enough given the story, number of characters and overall concept. Even the action scenes, such as the underwater attack, could have been fantastic as set pieces if the film had been fleshed out to 2+ hours. But the producers ultimately got what they paid for: the 85-minute digest version.

One of the film's strengths is its "villain" characters. Kenneth Welsh and Richard Fitzpatrick are reminiscent of actors like Dennis Hopper and Ray Milland. Too bad we never got to see those guys chew up the scenery in a living dead western!

DjfunkmasterG
02-Sep-2010, 02:26 AM
I have the UK Blu-Ray... so I am not buying it again.

Jamn
02-Sep-2010, 03:12 AM
I did, I had not seen it so I picked it up the day it came out. Watched it and went to bed. I might let my kids watch it and see what they think. They liked Zombieland.

MoonSylver
02-Sep-2010, 06:25 AM
I think this is why I ended up liking Survival. I was not a big fan of Land, and Diary was pretty rancid. . . .so my expectations were really very low for Survival. So when I found out it wasn't the shit heap I expected, I was pleasantly surprised. On further watchings of Survival, it has gotten worse tho. So it may be a mood thing.

Hurm. Food for thought...Hurm...:|

Your assessment is a fair one: you didn't enjoy it, but you're not threatening to rip out your own spleen over it. ;)

:lol:

My biggest criticism of Survival would be that it's not nearly long enough given the story, number of characters and overall concept. Even the action scenes, such as the underwater attack, could have been fantastic as set pieces if the film had been fleshed out to 2+ hours. But the producers ultimately got what they paid for: the 85-minute digest version.

Mmmm...yeah, I'll agree with that. It did feel very rushed. I think that's why I'm getting the vibe that they're rushing from "Point A-to-B-to-C-Showdown-The End." A longer runtime would have helped to flesh out the characters & establish more mood. I can dig it.:)

ChokeOnEm
02-Sep-2010, 07:02 AM

Strongly agree with this. I also feel the island locale is woefully underused. That place should be teeming with 'dead heads.' Aside from the herd we see in Muldoon's barn, the place is pretty empty. Even with the limited running time, George resorts to lazy cliched plot devices like Francisco's zombie conversion and Tomboy being captured. It feels like padding. By the time the final anticlimactic shootout arrives, the movie hasn't really gone anywhere. Shame. The O'Flynn vs. Muldoon rivalry is still a neat spin on what is becoming an increasingly tired genre.

-- -------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

I did, I had not seen it so I picked it up the day it came out. Watched it and went to bed. I might let my kids watch it and see what they think. They liked Zombieland.

What did you think of it, Jamn?

DEAD BEAT
02-Sep-2010, 04:07 PM
Survival was sooo bad that i'd slap a family member for giving it to me as a gift....nuff said!:moon:

kidgloves
03-Sep-2010, 10:19 PM
I bought the barebones UK release but more as a donation to Uncle George rather than wanting the movie. Truly terrible effort:(

hadrian0117
05-Sep-2010, 02:42 AM
It had an hour and twenty minute documentary about the making of. I actually enjoyed it, and special features aren't that big of a deal to me. So that's saying something :sneaky:...

I found the extra features to be much more entertaining than the movie itself. I got the Blu-ray from Netflix; this is the only Romero Living Dead film I haven't bought (& this is coming from someone with 3 different versions of Dawn).

Boogiedowndead
05-Sep-2010, 08:48 PM
I might buy it with diary just to complete my collection

Mr.G
06-Sep-2010, 01:24 PM
Survival is currently #8 in top movies on Redbox here in the US. Not bad considering its release and genre.

Just saw it was #8 for my area....sorry. More zombie fans in Indiana than I thought! ;)

tju1973
06-Sep-2010, 07:34 PM
Just got done watching it--- and am about to put in disc 2-- that being said, I actually liked it better than Diary, and maybe better than Land--

Not rocket science groundbreaking stuff, but all in all, what is these days...Ahh, who am I ? I am taking the family to RE Afterlife 3d on friday...Popcorn movies are just that... :)

ChokeOnEm
06-Sep-2010, 07:53 PM
Just got done watching it--- and am about to put in disc 2-- that being said, I actually liked it better than Diary, and maybe better than Land--

I give "Land" a slight edge due to the superior KNB gore efx. On the one hand, "Survival" has the annoying token emo kid...on the other, "Land" has the grunting, pipe-bomb making Big Daddy. It's almost a draw.

Trin
07-Sep-2010, 02:21 PM
Ultimately the movie just didn't make a goddam lick of sense, and I'm sick of trying to forgive that bs.

Survival had good points, but the bad points are significantly more prevalent and more standout. The good points are little things while the bad points are integral to plot and character. And the movie goes downhilll progressively throughout its course. It just gets dumber and dumber to a final grand finale of dumbness.

Really, they were hanging out on the docks fishing the zombie infested waters? I mean, think this through... they were drawing people to the docks with the promise of a safe place via an Internet video. Literally inviting people to drag throngs of zombies to them. And all so they could take MONEY in exchange for boats, as a scam to screw the islanders, many of whom were still their own family. Then when someone shows up with actual guns (like this was somehow unlikely before??) and all his little coot cohorts die he's like... whatevah. It doesn't paint O'Flynn as much of a goodguy. :duh:

Personally, I hated the underwater attack scene. What nonsense. And he gets infected by biting a zombie? But we don't really know he was infected. His symptoms were similar to drinking mexican water. He might've been cured with some pepto but he eats a bullet instead. Real good plot there. *clapping*

DEAD BEAT
07-Sep-2010, 03:51 PM
Speakin' of caving in....my ass caved in from viewing this piece of doo doo!;)

darth los
07-Sep-2010, 04:11 PM
Ayone else think sarge was compensating for something?

All he spoke about were how big and bad his weapons were compared to everyone elses.

And he says it like 3 different times.

That's one of the things that annoyed me about diary. Debra says the same line about "if it's not on film then it's like it didn't happen." like 3 differeent times as well.

That's not counting the times she berrated him for filming the events as well.

Beat us over the head with messages much?

Another film where there was a message but it got muddled due to all the other crap that was in the movie.

Again, lots of potential it didn't live up to. It's become a pattern.

bassman
07-Sep-2010, 04:16 PM
I thought "Sarge"(can't remember his name now) was cool in both Land and Diary. In Survival he comes off as a little bitch trying to take the school kids milk money so everyone will think he's tough.

And don't get me started on his smoking. I can't stand it when people try to look cool with cigarettes in films. It's always obvious whether or not they're a real smoker. They'll either look really dumb puffing on the smoke without inhaling, or they'll go overboard like sarge and try to make it cool. Instead he looks like he's sucking off a needle dick...

Anyway...Sarge wasn't interesting enough to be the main character...

DEAD BEAT
07-Sep-2010, 04:18 PM
anyone else thnk sarge was compensating for something?

All he spoke about were how big and bad his weapons were compared to everyone elses.

And he says it like 3 different times.

That's one of the things that annoyed me about diary. Debra says the same line about "if it's not on film then it's like it didn't happen." like 3 differeent times as well.

That's not counting the times she berrated him for filming the events as well.

Beat us over the head with messages much?

Another film where there was a message but it got muddled due to all the other crap that was in the movie.

Again, lots of potential it didn't live up to. It's become a pattern.

lol that is funny.....like no one would notice a zombie outbreak if it wasn't filmed! :fin:

darth los
07-Sep-2010, 04:36 PM
I thought "Sarge"(can't remember his name now) was cool in both Land and Diary. In Survival he comes off as a little bitch trying to take the school kids milk money so everyone will think he's tough.

And don't get me started on his smoking. I can't stand it when people try to look cool with cigarettes in films. It's always obvious whether or not they're a real smoker. They'll either look really dumb puffing on the smoke without inhaling, or they'll go overboard like sarge and try to make it cool. Instead he looks like he's sucking off a needle dick...

Anyway...Sarge wasn't interesting enough to be the main character...

Agreed. There was no depth to his character at all.

ChokeOnEm
07-Sep-2010, 06:08 PM
Really, they were hanging out on the docks fishing the zombie infested waters?

Who? The asian guy? I don't even think he was part of O'Flynn's crew.

I mean, think this through... they were drawing people to the docks with the promise of a safe place via an Internet video. Literally inviting people to drag throngs of zombies to them.

Well, O'Flynn did set land mines in case the lumbering undead hordes came their way. I will say, using YouTube as a storytelling device to get characters from Point A to Point B is extremely cheap and lazy.

Then when someone shows up with actual guns (like this was somehow unlikely before??) and all his little coot cohorts die he's like... whatevah. It doesn't paint O'Flynn as much of a goodguy. :duh:

O'Flynn is not a good guy. And he did express remorse, or at least as much as he could with zombies tearing at his throat. This movie is weak, but these problems are minor.

He might've been cured with some pepto but he eats a bullet instead. Real good plot there. *clapping*

The most offensive thing about Francisco's character arc, (aside from his one-dimensional fixation on eating pussy), is how tired it is. How many countless Romero ripoffs feature a subplot about someone getting bitten or infected and slowly turning. It's not suspensful, it's not scary, and it's not entertaining. We've seen it a thousand times. A similar cliched scene happens in the Dawn remake involving Matt Frewer's character. Complete and utter filler.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

LOL. You noticed that too? He reminds me of some dorky college freshman at his first frat party. You would think a chainsmoker like Romero could teach him a thing or two, but, as already established, attention to detail is no longer Romero’s strong suit.

Speaking of Romero..anyone notice on the behind-the-scenes doc that it seems like Second Unit handled the filming of the feasting scenes? Maybe Romero was behind a video assist monitor, but from what I can tell, it's not Romero calling the shots on those scenes. Maybe he truly doesn’t give a shit anymore. :(

Trin
07-Sep-2010, 08:34 PM
Who? The asian guy? I don't even think he was part of O'Flynn's crew.
Which, if true, makes for an even more f'ed up situation. O'Flynn just coexists with some asian dude fishing on the roof?

Well, O'Flynn did set land mines in case the lumbering undead hordes came their way.
The landmines were just gimmicky. Totally stupid. It's GAR going, "Hey we're cool we kill zombies with landmines."

It's totally implausible that landmines would be a viable defense against a relatively endless mass of creatures that have no problem watching their own get blasted and walking right through the same path.

O'Flynn is not a good guy.
I'm pretty sure O'Flynn was in the protagonist camp, if not an outright good guy. Although I admit it was unclear, and that's another problem. The flip-flop from "dude at the docks shooting at us and trying to scam us" to "dude we'll fight side by side with" was out of place.

This movie is weak, but these problems are minor.
Minor maybe. But tip of the iceberg. That scene should've have existed. The plot which drove it shouldn't have existed. And the whole movie was scene after scene of the same kind of problems.

The Sarge character was horrible. Was he a good guy or a punk thief? Why was he money grubbing? Why did he kill a bunch of rednecks and then dance around the aholes at Plum Island? They killed his buddy and got the only scene of even partial emotion from the character, and then there was no lashback? Why didn't he go Steven Seagal and kill everything on the island?

One thing I got just sick of was zombies appearing out of nowhere to attack. It was criticized in Dawn when the zombie jumps out of the store racks and attacks Roger, so why does GAR resort to this behavior over and over again in Survival? They just hang out on the boats, on the docks, in the car, around the house on the island, etc. They were so NOT seeking out humans like in Night.

The whole zombie behavior aspect of Survival is confused and contradictory with the rest of the series.

I got a full serving of hatorade today. I could go on and on :)

darth los
07-Sep-2010, 08:52 PM
Which, if true, makes for an even more f'ed up situation. O'Flynn just coexists with some asian dude fishing on the roof?

The landmines were just gimmicky. Totally stupid. It's GAR going, "Hey we're cool we kill zombies with landmines."

It's totally implausible that landmines would be a viable defense against a relatively endless mass of creatures that have no problem watching their own get blasted and walking right through the same path.

I'm pretty sure O'Flynn was in the protagonist camp, if not an outright good guy. Although I admit it was unclear, and that's another problem. The flip-flop from "dude at the docks shooting at us and trying to scam us" to "dude we'll fight side by side with" was out of place.

Minor maybe. But tip of the iceberg. That scene should've have existed. The plot which drove it shouldn't have existed. And the whole movie was scene after scene of the same kind of problems.

The Sarge character was horrible. Was he a good guy or a punk thief? Why was he money grubbing? Why did he kill a bunch of rednecks and then dance around the aholes at Plum Island? They killed his buddy and got the only scene of even partial emotion from the character, and then there was no lashback? Why didn't he go Steven Seagal and kill everything on the island?

One thing I got just sick of was zombies appearing out of nowhere to attack. It was criticized in Dawn when the zombie jumps out of the store racks and attacks Roger, so why does GAR resort to this behavior over and over again in Survival? They just hang out on the boats, on the docks, in the car, around the house on the island, etc. They were so NOT seeking out humans like in Night.

The whole zombie behavior aspect of Survival is confused and contradictory with the rest of the series.

Very good points Trin.

There's really no arguing with them just those who try to make more excuses and justifications.

DubiousComforts
07-Sep-2010, 10:08 PM
But would that be healthy?

You really need to get together with Romero to work out these feelings of persecution. :p

MoonSylver
07-Sep-2010, 10:31 PM
Whelp...I bit the bullet & watched it a 2nd time over the weekend. I actually ENJOYED it this time (I'll chalk up lack of enjoyment the first time to a bad viewing experience the 1st time).

NOW...having said that, I will say this: I enjoyed it an a "bad, cheesy, light zombie/action movie" kind of way. Which is not the terms I would have ever wished to approach a GAR movie on, but eh, there it is. Nice light filler.

The thing that occurred to me that I miss, most conspicuously in this one, is a sense of SERIOUSNESS, a sense of DREAD & DOOM. In the previous films, Dawn & Day most notably, you got the feeling that THIS SHIT IS SERIOUS. That this is THE END OF THE WORLD. I just don't get that here.

It still just feels like a made for DVD standard zombie flick that just about anybody could have knocked out.:(

IMO the least of the entire series, old & new alike.

DubiousComforts
07-Sep-2010, 10:34 PM
The thing that occurred to me that I miss, most conspicuously in this one, is a sense of SERIOUSNESS, a sense of DREAD & DOOM. In the previous films, Dawn
I can't believe that you've used DAWN and "seriousness" in the same sentence. I've tried in the past to do that, but grammar-check automatically keeps correcting the error. :D

MoonSylver
07-Sep-2010, 10:37 PM
I can't believe that you've used DAWN and "seriousness" in the same sentence. I've tried in the past to do that, but grammar-check automatically keeps correcting the error. :D

Oh, it has it's lighter, comedic moments, as well, but overall I'd say the tone of that move is pretty heavy, especially in from the 2nd 1/2 on (w/ the exception of the slapstick moments in the biker raid:rolleyes:).

ChokeOnEm
08-Sep-2010, 12:28 AM
Whelp...I bit the bullet & watched it a 2nd time over the weekend. I actually ENJOYED it this time (I'll chalk up lack of enjoyment the first time to a bad viewing experience the 1st time).

NOW...having said that, I will say this: I enjoyed it an a "bad, cheesy, light zombie/action movie" kind of way. Which is not the terms I would have ever wished to approach a GAR movie on, but eh, there it is. Nice light filler.

I agree with that...'Survival' is such a low-key minor entry in the series that it could almost pass as one of George's penned episodes of Tales from the Darkside. Right down to the bargain-basement production values. Some key ingredient is def. missing in the new trilogy (Land, Diary, Survival). Is it Rubinstein? Is it Savini? Wish I knew.

ChokeOnEm
08-Sep-2010, 02:42 PM
No, not buying it. The helicopter and screwdriver made sense, and were used as incidental kills. The landmines were used as defenses. Your examples would make sense if the Dawn crew had used the helicopter to defend the mall instead of their guns. And a fire extinguisher, flare gun are in a whole other league of stupid from a screwdriver.

You're right. The Dawn examples were different because at least there was an underlying logic as to *why* the characters were resorting to using such items for self-defense. Now that were at the sixth film in the series, I don't think Romero cares. Like the Bond series, he's kinda going through the motions and just coming up with cool gags - whether they service the story or not. This was also evident in "Diary" with creative kills involving the scythe, defibriliator, jar of acid etc. My inner child that grew up with Dawn and Day still giggles at this stuff and gives Romero a pass. I guess I'm just easily entertained. Don't get me wrong, Survival is NOT, I repeat, is NOT a good movie.

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 09:56 PM
C'mon guys. Let's not get into silly arguments that can get someone prematurely banned. Choke....I mean absolutely no offense with this, but you should probably chill back and see how the forum works. Take it all in strides. We all like to poke fun at each other. It shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Darth...chill brother. You know how the newbs can be. Don't get yourself kicked just yet. You know that's an easy thing to happen these days.:p

MoonSylver
08-Sep-2010, 10:37 PM
http://www.hyscience.com/obi-wan460.jpg

I sense something...

http://webhosting-directory.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/lock.jpg

Just how desperate is this comeback? You’re actually going to resort to distorting one of the greatest lines in horror cinema just to score cheap dick jokes? Seriously? C’mon. :rolleyes:

Well...it is kind of who we are & what we do...(insert laughing smiley here.)

Trin
09-Sep-2010, 02:35 AM
The forum is full of dissenting opinions and that is a strength, not a weakness. We can't let it turn into this kind of snipping at each other when the inevitable not seeing eye-to-eye comes up.

This was a pretty decent and civilized point-by-point discussion of Survival, and no opinion is less worthy than another, no observation is more conclusive than another.

Choke and I have different perspectives on what we look for in movies, and thus we disagree on the overall enjoyability of Survival. But I think we did a pretty good job of seeing the other person's perspective.

DEAD BEAT
09-Sep-2010, 03:40 PM
u tell that lil jis boy!

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 04:16 PM
The thread being locked shouldn't be your concern. You concern should be that you're going to be banned when a mod comes around.

Hope you enjoyed your short stay....

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 04:22 PM
Actually I did suggest to him that he chill out. Thanks for playing, though.

You sure do know how to make friends.

BillyRay
09-Sep-2010, 04:29 PM
Jeez, dudes, it's beginning to smell like Craigslist Rants 'N' raves in this thread...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2480/3740307497_35d1148239_o.gif

ChokeOnEm
09-Sep-2010, 04:35 PM
Tell ya what..Bassman is right. I am out of line here and should be the bigger man and ignore any future baiting. I apologize for any disruption my replies may have caused.

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 04:36 PM
We all gangsta up in ere!!!

http://www.profilebrand.com/funny-pictures/category/people/623_fat-goth-gangster.gif

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 04:50 PM
So that Walking dead series is sure going to be something, huh? :lol:

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 04:53 PM
If it turns out like we all hope and think it will.....i'm anxious to hear what Romero has to say about it.

"There weren't any gags! I'm going to stick to my 'comedy'....":lol:

Trin
09-Sep-2010, 05:11 PM
"I was really interested to see if the zombies would eat the horse, but I guess today's filmmakers won't take on the hard issues."

Trin
09-Sep-2010, 05:13 PM
This double post brought to you by the new slick forumz.

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 05:16 PM
If it turns out like we all hope and think it will.....i'm anxious to hear what Romero has to say about it.

"There weren't any gags! I'm going to stick to my 'comedy'....":lol:

I really wonder if he'll give credit where credit is due.

He has a built in excuse to hate the new runner/zomedy films.

But what going to happen when someone comes along and does what he does only better?

Perhaps that's exactly what he needs. To be challenged, woken up, shocked back into existence so to speak.

Maybe TWD will get his competitive juices flowing and have him want to make something even better.

Kaos
09-Sep-2010, 05:24 PM
Did some pruning of the thread of the unnecessary spat. Special thanks to the members who kept cooler heads.

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 05:31 PM
Thnx K.

I apologize to the community.

You will hear nothing further from me on this matter.

Again, sorry. :o

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2010, 05:55 PM
Did some pruning of the thread of the unnecessary spat. Special thanks to the members who kept cooler heads.

That's how I live my online life. I say WWBMD: What would Bassman do? And the answer is almost always the same:

1) Stay Frosty

2) Remind them to use the search function

3) Correct them on Ghostbusters trivia

Some say it's crazy, but it's how I live my life.

darth los
09-Sep-2010, 06:01 PM
That's how I live my online life. I say WWBMD: What would Bassman do? And the answer is almost always the same:

1) Stay Frosty

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Post of the day!

But hey, he's our guy. What are we gonna do right?

Speaking for myself if he weren't here it wouldn't be the same.

The same goes for about 20 members, btw.

I've got the temper, he's got that. It's yin and yang really. :lol:

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2010, 06:04 PM
Speaking for myself if he weren't here it wouldn't be the same.

I completely agree. Everything I said above I said out of love. Male, heterosexual love. :shifty:

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 06:30 PM
That's how I live my online life. I say WWBMD: What would Bassman do?

That's going in the signature....

And it only helps validate my Atticus Avatar. :lol:

MoonSylver
09-Sep-2010, 10:32 PM

1) Stay Frosty

)4 Insert pithy Wikipedia comment here.

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 10:34 PM

You guys may know me better than my wife....

So about that Survival dvd....:p

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 02:59 AM

So about that Survival dvd....:p

Well, we do spend a considerable amount of time together sharing our thoughts and opinions, so it's only logical...

bassman
10-Sep-2010, 12:48 PM
Well, we do spend a considerable amount of time together sharing our thoughts and opinions...

And god knows I don't wanna do that with her! :lol:

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 01:15 PM

No buddy, not a knock on the wife. But discussing things with people who are genuinely into it as opossed to simply understanding or tolerating it are two different things.

I mean we never really tire of this stuff. If we did it would have happened by now.

BillyRay
10-Sep-2010, 03:41 PM
He played Tawdry O'Flynn, and was one of O'Flynn's men that got killed on the dock. (The guy in the plastic overalls)

http://newyork.metromix.com/content_image/thumbnail/4x3/180/1959145

He's also plays Mike Hamar, the town crook, on the Red Green show:

http://ninewords.com/Fun/The%20Red%20Green%20Show/Mike%20Hamar%20(season%2015).jpg

Don't know why I found that so distracting, perhaps I was waiting for some Canuckian incompetant ex-con comedy.

Instead he got et'.

Also: TWIN SISTER!?!? That's some mighty lazy storytellin' there, Unca George...

(And don't get me started on the grenade/shack debacle)

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 04:03 PM
He played Tawdry O'Flynn, and was one of O'Flynn's men that got killed on the dock. (The guy in the plastic overalls)

http://newyork.metromix.com/content_image/thumbnail/4x3/180/1959145

He's also plays Mike Hamar, the town crook, on the Red Green show:

http://ninewords.com/Fun/The%20Red%20Green%20Show/Mike%20Hamar%20(season%2015).jpg

Don't know why I found that so distracting, perhaps I was waiting for some Canuckian incompetant ex-con comedy.

Instead he got et'.

Also: TWIN SISTER!?!? That's some mighty lazy storytellin' there, Unca George...

I know what you mean. There's no way a grenade could explode, take out an entire wall while the person standing 6 inches behind it remains relatively unscathed.

It was obviously a gag used to elicit laughs but that exactly why his films don't work anymore. Stuff like that.

Trin
10-Sep-2010, 05:28 PM
No buddy, not a knock on the wife. But discussing things with people who are genuinely into it as opossed to simply understanding or tolerating it are two different things.

I mean we never really tire of this stuff. If we did it would have happened by now.

:cool:Are you guys still talking about zombies? Wait, scratch that, I don't want to know.

The GAR movies are becoming zany, and zany is not horrific. Zombieland took things more seriously than that.

BillyRay
10-Sep-2010, 05:29 PM
I know what you mean. There's no way a grenade could explode, take out an entire wall while the person standing 6 inches behind it remains relatively unscathed.

It was obviously a gag used to elicit laughs but that exactly why his films don't work anymore. Stuff like that.

I'm just glad O'Flynn's cronys didn't look like Buckwheat after the explosion...

ProfessorChaos
10-Sep-2010, 06:21 PM

christ, that part was fucking insulting...it made me feel like i was watching looney tunes, i literally groaned and had to shake my head at that part.

the straw that broke the camel's back and forced me to shut the fucking thing off was the little joke about "yeah, but he'll never pass his driving test" from that irritating chick.

after that, i couldn't take another second. romero is about to get humiliated by how awesome the walking dead will be compared with his latest shitty films.

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 06:56 PM
christ, that part was fucking insulting...it made me feel like i was watching looney tunes, i literally groaned and had to shake my head at that part.

the straw that broke the camel's back and forced me to shut the fucking thing off was the little joke about "yeah, but he'll never pass his driving test" from that irritating chick.

after that, i couldn't take another second. romero is about to get humiliated by how awesome the walking dead will be compared with his latest shitty films.

I think i posted that in another thread. This series is either going to put GAr in the backseat and finally take the title from him and prestige that goes along with it or actually motivate him and make him step his game up.

I'm hoping for the latter.

I'm just glad O'Flynn's cronys didn't look like Buckwheat after the explosion...

You forgot the requisite, "That's all folks!" :rolleyes:

Are you guys still talking about zombies? Wait, scratch that, I don't want to know.

The GAR movies are becoming zany, and zany is not horrific. Zombieland took things more seriously than that.

And what's worse, in every interview i've seen he seems to relish the role.

bassman
10-Sep-2010, 07:20 PM
I think we could all blame Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright for Romero's recent slapstick fixation. After he gave them their blow jobs for referencing the trilogy, he started to turn to the gimmicks. The bad thing is....Wright and Pegg know how to do it. Romero? Not so much.

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 07:29 PM
I think we could all blame Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright for Romero's recent slapstick fixation. After he gave them their blow jobs for referencing the trilogy, he started to turn to the gimmicks. The bad thing is....Wright and Pegg know how to do it. Romero? Not so much.

I think the difference being they set out to make a Zomedy.

Gar still insists that he makes "horror films". :rolleyes:

BillyRay
10-Sep-2010, 08:17 PM
I think the difference being they set out to make a Zomedy.

Gar still insists that he makes "horror films". :rolleyes:

And that's my nagging problem with the latest film.

Action, Horror & Comedy can be integrated together. Romero's been able to do it skillfully before.

But all of these elements clashed this time.

Thematically, it's all over the place.

MoonSylver
10-Sep-2010, 08:47 PM

Well, we do spend a considerable amount of time together sharing our thoughts and opinions, so it's only logical...

ZING!!! That may be the greatest wife comeback I've ever seen. http://www.kitchenroundtable.com/i/smiley/bow.gif

These guys would be as proud of you as I am:

http://inkville.typepad.com/.a/6a00e552233b8f88340133f03b3b84970b-800wi

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 08:51 PM
I think we just found a new smiley we need.

Oh andy....

Wrong Number
12-Sep-2010, 10:14 AM
I watched this on demand when it came out and really disliked it, but knew it was one that needed a second viewing for a true opinion. My husband got me the dvd when it came out and I finally last night rewatched it. The verdict is that I enjoyed it way more the second time through. The first time suffered a lot due to the crappy cgi gag kills. If those were taken out the movie would be infinitely better.

BTW, I should mention that I hated Day of the Dead when I saw it the first time in the theater. I felt it was dull as dishwater. Over time I have come to appreciate it more.

WN

DjfunkmasterG
12-Sep-2010, 06:52 PM
HEADS UP - My local BEST BUY seems to be selling Survival for $14.99 on Blu-Ray... didn't grab it cause I have the UK version, but I came across it while grabbinbg ROTLD (out 2 days early) and it had no price on it... then I decided to scan it and BAM it said $14.99. I still threw it back on the shelf, but back home I looked it up and it is listed online at $29.99.

Don't know if this is just a glitch at the BB in germantown, MD or widespread... but I thought I would post it for the fans who may want to scoop it up.

Deej

Trin
13-Sep-2010, 02:28 AM
That has to be a mistake Deej. I cannot imagine anyone paying that much for it. :D

bassman
13-Sep-2010, 11:53 AM
That has to be a mistake Deej. I cannot imagine anyone paying that much for it. :D

They probably knew that nobody would pay the 30 bucks, so dropped it enough hoping to move it out the door before word of mouth got around. :lol:

Trin
13-Sep-2010, 01:52 PM
In all seriouslness I'm probably going to pick up a copy. Mainly because if you'd asked me before I saw it if I'd pay to see it I'd have said yes and forked over my money.

And in the grand scheme of things I'll put down $15 to support GAR regardless of my thoughts on his latest efforts.

Sadlly, if it assured he'd make another zombie movie I'd send an additional $15 now as an advance without knowing anything about the project.

darth los
13-Sep-2010, 03:23 PM
Then again if you support an artist unconditionally they're going to keep doing what they're doing.

It's like supporting a politicians campaign. if you keep giving them money regardless of the way they vote then there is no reason for them to change the things you don't like.

GAr might get the impression that since his sales are decent that validates the direction in which he is going. :duh:

bassman
13-Sep-2010, 03:24 PM
GAr might get the impression that since his sales are decent that validates the direction in which he is going. :duh:

We call that "Boll's Disease"....

darth los
13-Sep-2010, 03:36 PM
We call that "Boll's Disease"....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Early candidate for post of the day!

I would ask him, "Have you ever blown the devil in a pale moonlight?"

Because that had to happen at some point.

Something has to explain why that man's projects keep getting funded.

DEAD BEAT
13-Sep-2010, 03:38 PM
anybody else feel like theirs a lot of distraction from the new forum.....sometimes cleaner is better!
which reminds me where did i put my deodorant? lol

darth los
13-Sep-2010, 04:01 PM
It's a little harder to navigate between certain features not being here and things just being different.

it's a work in progress so al little patience is required.

Hopefully it won't take as long as the x box live leaderboards updates. :rolleyes:

Trin
13-Sep-2010, 04:45 PM
Then again if you support an artist unconditionally they're going to keep doing what they're doing.

It's like supporting a politicians campaign. if you keep giving them money regardless of the way they vote then there is no reason for them to change the things you don't like.

:cool:I look at it this way. I have two options. Support Survival and hope the next Dead movie is a great one. Not support Survival and hope there is a next Dead movie at all.

I lost my belief that GAR is influenced by fan support at Diary. I don't see any scenario where Survival does poorly and GAR has a self-reflecting moment, realizes he's lost the fans, and returns to the series in old form. Survival does bad enough and it's over.

I think GAR knows the difference between getting a little money and getting a lot of money. He can see the erosion of support for any theatrical run and he's probably figured out his phone isn't ringing off the hook from producers hoping to get in on the next one. Those things send a clear enough message to him.

Ultimately, I got $15 worth of enjoyment out of it, even though I didn't particularlly like it. I mean, seriously, I can't take the family to McDonald's for $15. I'm not exactly putting the experience on a pedestal.

ChokeOnEm
15-Sep-2010, 07:25 PM
I
I think GAR knows the difference between getting a little money and getting a lot of money. He can see the erosion of support for any theatrical run and he's probably figured out his phone isn't ringing off the hook from producers hoping to get in on the next one. Those things send a clear enough message to him.

But does he really care? GAR is pretty much back in the same straight-to-dvd purgatory he was prior to "Land". For me, the saddest part of it all is, when "Bruiser" came out and failed to measure up to expectations, Romero fanboys kept saying, "Man, if only George would go back to doing Dead films. Those kick ass." And now we are all urging George to go back to doing his non-zombie horror, which was always hit or miss. I'll say this - if George couldn't hit "Land" out of the park, after tinkering with the script for almost a decade, he will probably never make a good movie again.

Legion2213
15-Sep-2010, 07:32 PM
GAR is about 90 now isn't he? :D

He could retire tomorrow and never make another movie (than all us Land/Diary/Survival haters would all have nothing to bitch about...aw :( ).

I'll forgive him if he turns out one final dead movie worthy of the first three...nothing spectacular, just something good/decent.

Trin
15-Sep-2010, 08:49 PM
But does he really care? GAR is pretty much back in the same straight-to-dvd purgatory he was prior to "Land". For me, the saddest part of it all is, when "Bruiser" came out and failed to measure up to expectations, Romero fanboys kept saying, "Man, if only George would go back to doing Dead films. Those kick ass." And now we are all urging George to go back to doing his non-zombie horror, which was always hit or miss. I'll say this - if George couldn't hit "Land" out of the park, after tinkering with the script for almost a decade, he will probably never make a good movie again.I honestly don't know what GAR actually cares about.

I'm personally not urging GAR to do non-zombie stuff.

More time is not synonymous with a better movie in GAR-world. Land may have suffered from too much time, not too little. If Day is any indication we need to put GAR on the spot to get his best work.

darth los
16-Sep-2010, 01:45 AM
I honestly don't know what GAR actually cares about.

I'm personally not urging GAR to do non-zombie stuff.

More time is not synonymous with a better movie in GAR-world. Land may have suffered from too much time, not too little. If Day is any indication we need to put GAR on the spot to get his best work.

Or make him angry.

It is well known that he wote an angry script because he couldn't make the movie that he wanted. Armed with that knowledge one understands the film better and why it's a curse-a-thon.

Perhaps the likely succes of TWD and people asking what he thinks of will be enough to light a fire under him.

Thorn
04-Oct-2010, 06:46 PM
I actually bought the Blue Ray. It was all they had available, and I had never used my Blue Ray player on my PC. Fitting I thought a Zombie film should be the first purchase.

The thing that really stood out to me, and what really ruined the film for me was a lack of a sense of horror or dread. At no point did I get a feeling from any of the characters of hopelessness, loss, or impending end of the world implications.

I knew it was a bad sign when I watched the run up by GAR where he mentioned that I shouldn't forget to laugh, as there were funny parts. This to me stinks of "Well we made it and it sucked so let's go with it was supposed to be funny".

All in all I didn't HATE the movie. I just really didn't like it at all. It offered me nothing TO hate other than I guess my own disappointment. GAR is better than this, and I think he knows that.

Did some of the subject matter that was a divergence from his usual approach and established lore bother me? Sure, but there will always be that. This just was really not a good film, and it is a shame to see this creator allow such crap to float out there with his name on it.

BillyRay
04-Oct-2010, 07:19 PM
It seems to me that Unca George is becoming the Roger Corman of zombie flicks.

That's not necesarilly a bad thing.

Hey, if the new series of films allows him to live in relative comfort in his old age, I say "go for it."

Other guys with their own axes to grind can concentrate on Doom And Gloom.

Mr.G
04-Oct-2010, 08:34 PM
The thing that really stood out to me, and what really ruined the film for me was a lack of a sense of horror or dread. At no point did I get a feeling from any of the characters of hopelessness, loss, or impending end of the world implications.

Great perspective. I never thought of it like that. I'd argue that the feeling of dread has been gone since Day. I remember watching Night as a kid on VHS and wondering how in the hell anyone would survive. The original trilogy was scary psychologically and held its own in the gore department.

AcesandEights
04-Oct-2010, 08:57 PM
Well, after seeing it on Netflix, I can safely say I'll definitely pick up a copy. Not sure if it'll be this month (probably not...car shopping :( ), but it's a must pick up for me.

Zombie Snack
05-Oct-2010, 07:56 AM
It's still better than Diary..............

Mr.G
06-Oct-2010, 12:11 AM
It's still better than Diary..............

That's like picking your favorite std.

Boogiedowndead
06-Oct-2010, 08:18 PM
Picked it up last weekend along with Return of the living dead

Watched it again and its not as bad as the first viewing.

I think its funny how they filmed the whole movie without giving it a title