PDA

View Full Version : WTF!?! Microsoft Raising Xbox Live Price. No I'm not kidding.

darth los
30-Aug-2010, 06:32 PM
Enter Bassman. :shifty:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707189/Microsoft-Raising-Xbox-Live-Price.html

:cool:

bassman
30-Aug-2010, 06:52 PM
http://ubisurv.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/simpsons_nelson_haha2.png%3Fw%3D320%26h%3D298

darth los
30-Aug-2010, 06:56 PM
I hate corporations.

And the thing is it's our fault. As long as a large enough segment out there keeps shelling it out for this stuff they'll continue to raise the pricepoint on various things such as this, dlc, etc.

AcesandEights
30-Aug-2010, 07:02 PM
I'll be in a real rough place economically the next few months. That said, I think I'd still be able to swing the extra $2 a month.

This is not a big deal. Anyone so strapped for cash may want to rethink their buying game systems and games.

CoinReturn
30-Aug-2010, 07:13 PM
It sucks, but this is the first price increase in 8 years, about in line with inflation.

Hopefully they'll be adding more features this Fall now that the original Xbox has been dropped from the service. They always said it was holding them back, now let's see if they hold true to their word.

LouCipherr
30-Aug-2010, 07:13 PM
This is not a big deal. Anyone so strapped for cash may want to rethink their buying game systems and games.

Or just buy a decent gaming PC. :shifty:

Seriously, this does strengthen my foothold on the 'screw this, I can play my PC games online for free' line of thinking.. plus the free mods, maps, trainers (if you're into that kinda thing) and other misc. goodies..

Sure, it's only $2/month this time. It won't do anything but continue to go up in the future... I'm not saying it's not worth it, but it isn't to me personally.

I've always though that it was insane to pay $50/yr to play games online - and I say that having a son who has a yearly subscription to XBL. The good thing is, he get his money's worth out of it, that's for sure.

It sucks, but this is the first price increase in 8 years, about in line with inflation.

Hopefully they'll be adding more features this Fall now that the original Xbox has been dropped from the service. They always said it was holding them back, now let's see if they hold true to their word.

Lets hope so. *fingers crossed*

ProfessorChaos
30-Aug-2010, 07:31 PM
well, they are adding ESPN streaming and a few other features with kinnect, according to an email i got earlier. also, they have a deal where you can lock in your next year for only 40 bucks, 20 bones cheaper than what it'll be when this new pricing goes into effect.

MikePizzoff
30-Aug-2010, 07:34 PM
The price had to rise at one point or another; it's keeping up with inflation.

Compare other prices of things you'd buy/rent in 2002. Some have gone up a higher percentage than what Live has increased. They couldn't keep it at $8/month forever.

Tricky
30-Aug-2010, 08:14 PM
Or just buy a decent gaming PC. :shifty:

Seriously, this does strengthen my foothold on the 'screw this, I can play my PC games online for free' line of thinking.. plus the free mods, maps, trainers (if you're into that kinda thing) and other misc. goodies..

Us PC gamers have to enjoy it while we can though, DLC at cost & DRM is getting more & more common now, and eventually we'll be just as trapped as the consolers! The modding community is good on the PC so we get lots of extra goodies that way, but how long till developers/publishers encrypt all the game files & castrate the modding community? I know PC gamers always find a way round, but they may well make it a lot harder....

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2010, 03:10 AM
I just received an e-mail from XBOX. For us current members, we can add on an additional year to our current subscription for only $39.99. Pretty sweet, if you ask me.

Also, soon XBL will have Hulu on it!!! As well as ESPN, for 3,500 live games of all popular sports, per year - for free (as long as you have a cable provider that has ESPN)!!!

Not too shabby, if you ask me.

Mr.G
31-Aug-2010, 04:21 AM
Eh, doesn't bother me. I've never used it...I prefer playing with myself. Wait, what? You all know what I mean!

Danny
31-Aug-2010, 04:25 AM
I just received an e-mail from XBOX. For us current members, we can add on an additional year to our current subscription for only $39.99. Pretty sweet, if you ask me.

Also, soon XBL will have Hulu on it!!! As well as ESPN, for 3,500 live games of all popular sports, per year - for free (as long as you have a cable provider that has ESPN)!!!

IF you live in the united states.

in the uk we have facebook and twitter on it.

yeah...

SymphonicX
31-Aug-2010, 07:44 AM
If you're from the UK take note:

"the cost of a full year’s online play (and miscellaneous other goodies) will remain the same at £39.99."

The monthly payments go up if you pay monthly but if like me you do it year on year you'll be OK.

Won't be long before they decide we're getting too good a deal and start upping it too.

LouCipherr
31-Aug-2010, 12:51 PM
Us PC gamers have to enjoy it while we can though, DLC at cost & DRM is getting more & more common now, and eventually we'll be just as trapped as the consolers! The modding community is good on the PC so we get lots of extra goodies that way, but how long till developers/publishers encrypt all the game files & castrate the modding community? I know PC gamers always find a way round, but they may well make it a lot harder....

I don't think they will castrate the modding community - it's the one major thing they have over the consoles, and throwing that away would be the death of PC gaming as we know it. I mean, the main reason I continue to buy and play PC games is because of the felxibility of the whole system and the ease of playability (yes, i can use my mouse & kb much easier and more accurately than a clunky controller with 18 buttons).

DRM murders PC game sales - ask the creators of Spore and several other games (Ubisoft? We're looking at you!) - so if they want to keep that shit up, let 'em. People will always find a way around it if they want it bad enough.

Back on the Xbox Live thing - Like MP, I rc'vd the email with the discounted price too - I think I might just have to take advantage of that to avoid the prices at least until end of next year.. Hmmm......

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2010, 01:10 PM
Back on the Xbox Live thing - Like MP, I rc'vd the email with the discounted price too - I think I might just have to take advantage of that to avoid the prices at least until end of next year.. Hmmm......

Plus Hulu and ESPN? Two things I've been wanting to be added to XBL. That's gonna be awesome.

darth los
31-Aug-2010, 01:27 PM

That does sound awesome. Ima have to get on that deal.

But it wasn't the live increase that was really bothering me it's the nickle and diming that has me more upset.

Some content on the service is way overpriced, imo.

I know, if I don't like it don't buy it but it seems that 1200 points for 5 maps is a little steep. :shifty:

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2010, 01:33 PM
That does sound awesome. Ima have to get on that deal.

But it wasn't the live increase that was really bothering me it's the nickle and diming that has me more upset.

Some content on the service is way overpriced, imo.

I know, if I don't like it don't buy it but it seems that 1200 points for 5 maps is a little steep. :shifty:

I think that's why they're giving us Hulu and the ESPN package thing. I'm getting the feeling more content like that is on it's way, as well.

darth los
31-Aug-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm a sports junkie so that's a beautiful thing. Between that and netflix I may never turn on my cable box again. :lol:

MikePizzoff
31-Aug-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm a sports junkie so that's a beautiful thing. Between that and netflix I may never turn on my cable box again. :lol:

Yeah, seriously. I already barely use the cable box because of Netflix.

I forgot to mention, on top of ESPN showing 3,500 live games a year, they are reportedly also going to have tons of past games, highlights, talk shows, etc.

darth los
31-Aug-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, seriously. I already barely use the cable box because of Netflix.

I forgot to mention, on top of ESPN showing 3,500 live games a year, they are reportedly also going to have tons of past games, highlights, talk shows, etc.

I was thinking that at some future date it would be great to not only stream from your instant q but to be able to rent the regular new releases and be able to view them through you x box in HD as well.

If that was the case I wouldn't need my ps3 for blu rays at all...

It's certainly one way microsoft can neuter sony.