PDA

View Full Version : A class to die for: "Zombies 101" at University of Baltimore

LouCipherr
07-Sep-2010, 07:50 PM
Whoa, stumbled across this today:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_zombie_class_1

– Tue Sep 7, 10:59 am ET
BALTIMORE – Call it Zombies 101.

The University of Baltimore is offering a new class on the undead.

The course is being taught by Arnold Blumberg, the author of a book on zombie movies, "Zombiemania," and the curator of Geppi's Entertainment Museum, which focuses on American pop culture.

Students taking English 333 will watch 16 classic zombie films and read zombie comics. As an alternative to a final research paper they may write scripts or draw storyboards for their ideal zombie flicks.

The university isn't the first to have a class on the undead. Columbia College in Chicago has offered a course on Zombies in popular media for years, and at Simpson College in Iowa students spent the spring semester writing a book on "The History of the Great Zombie War."

Dj, class is in at the University of Baltimore.. they should have you on the roster as a consultant. :lol:

AcesandEights
07-Sep-2010, 08:16 PM
What passes for higher education in this day and age :duh:

EvilNed
07-Sep-2010, 09:38 PM
I used to study film at the university and wrote a paper on italian zombiefilms from 1979 to 1981. In my most nerdiest of moments, I just loooove analyzing zombiefilms to death. This would be a dream for me.

bassman
07-Sep-2010, 09:57 PM
I could understand studying Romero's earlier work, but other than the most of the genre is shlock...

LouCipherr
07-Sep-2010, 10:03 PM
I could understand studying Romero's earlier work, but other than the most of the genre is shlock...

I wonder if they'll cover it like that in class?

"These first 3 films are the standard by which all others shall be judged. The rest of these 13 movies are crap, so lets discuss why..."

I could see that. :lol:

bassman
07-Sep-2010, 10:10 PM

"These first 3 films are the standard by which all others shall be judged. The rest of these 13 movies are crap, so lets discuss why..."

I would take the class if that were the case. Once they get into the Italian films I would have to drop out. :dead:

LouCipherr
07-Sep-2010, 10:27 PM
I would take the class if that were the case. Once they get into the Italian films I would have to drop out. :dead:

No Fulci for you! :lol:

MoonSylver
07-Sep-2010, 10:40 PM

I would like to see that list, to see which 16 made the cut...

Gaaaa....where's that "middle finger" smiley when I need him....here, take this gut instead::moon:

AcesandEights
07-Sep-2010, 10:41 PM

But we get to do that here...for no tuition :D

DjfunkmasterG
07-Sep-2010, 11:45 PM

Excellent point, and to Lou's bit about being a consultant... I already am... here at HPOTD and it costs them nothing but their sanity. :elol:

rongravy
08-Sep-2010, 12:08 AM
Damn it, I already signed up for underwater basket weaving...:mad:

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 12:11 AM
No Fulci for you! :lol:

:lol:

Trust me. I would be just fine with that.

Seriously though....I've never liked many zombie films outside of Romero's. It's hard to imagine there being a class on the subject....

clanglee
08-Sep-2010, 12:45 AM
You know that we would all be roundly hated by the teacher in that class. A bunch of know it all old school zombie fans. Waiting to pounce on any mistakes or misconceptions. We'd freakin' pass tho!!!

LouCipherr
08-Sep-2010, 12:51 AM
You know that we would all be roundly hated by the teacher in that class. A bunch of know it all old school zombie fans. Waiting to pounce on any mistakes or misconceptions. We'd freakin' pass tho!!!

I bet the teacher wouldn't want to pass us, but they'd have no choice.. That teachers life would be a living hell... :elol:

y'know, I almost want to take this class just to find out exactly what they're doing. I'm not far from University of MD, either.. Hmmm.... I've got some research to do..

Mr.G
08-Sep-2010, 01:36 AM

But no college credit or the all important grade!

fulci fan
08-Sep-2010, 03:32 AM

Trust me. I would be just fine with that.

Seriously though....I've never liked many zombie films outside of Romero's. It's hard to imagine there being a class on the subject....

http://www.wearysloth.com/Directors/d1256.gif

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 11:54 AM
tis true, my little fulci fan, tis true.

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 12:19 PM
I could see myself taking this class and then becoming extremely infuriated with all the ignorant bastards that'll surely be taking the class for "an easy A".

"Who's Tom Savini?"
"What has better zombies: 28 Days Later or The Hills Have Eyes?"
"What does voodoo have to do with zombies?"

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2010, 02:17 PM
But no college credit or the all important grade!

I'd rather the excuse to have a study session with a co-ed.

Neil
08-Sep-2010, 02:32 PM

The course is being taught by Arnold Blumberg, the author of a book on zombie movies, "Zombiemania," and the curator of Geppi's Entertainment Museum, which focuses on American pop culture.

Students taking English 333 will watch 16 classic zombie films and read zombie comics. As an alternative to a final research paper they may write scripts or draw storyboards for their ideal zombie flicks.

The university isn't the first to have a class on the undead. Columbia College in Chicago has offered a course on Zombies in popular media for years, and at Simpson College in Iowa students spent the spring semester writing a book on "The History of the Great Zombie War."

Dj, class is in at the University of Baltimore.. they should have you on the roster as a consultant. :lol:

What the hell!:rolleyes:

LouCipherr
08-Sep-2010, 03:04 PM
What the hell!:rolleyes:

I guess it's no crazier than the college's that are providing "zombie survival training courses" :duh:

DEAD BEAT
08-Sep-2010, 03:29 PM

omg! And i thought i was a a dork! Other than watching 16 flicks...a zombie class is pretty lame!:whatever: