PDA

View Full Version : So I was thinking...

blind2d
08-Sep-2010, 01:35 AM
Not sure if I should be consulting you guys on this, or rather burdening you with my own personal problems, but yeah. I have been considering joining the United States Armed Forces, namely the Army. Do you guys think that's wise? I mean, should I do it? I greatly appreciate your input.

Mr.G
08-Sep-2010, 01:39 AM
Anyone who is willing to commit and sacrifice for the sake of their country is a better person than me.

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 01:42 AM
Not sure if I should be consulting you guys on this, or rather burdening you with my own personal problems, but yeah. I have been considering joining the United States Armed Forces, namely the Army. Do you guys think that's wise? I mean, should I do it? I greatly appreciate your input.

You can always consult with us, Blind. You're one of us. "One of us! One of us!":p

Honestly, I think it's a decision that you should discuss with your family, internally with yourself, and also consider the possible outcome of it all. I have nothing but respect for those that join our forces, but I doubt that it's for everyone.

There are great benefits that you can gain from serving, but you should approach it from all angles to make sure it's right for you. There are obviously huge risks involved. As I said, just consider it from all possible angles.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best and God bless. :)

blind2d
08-Sep-2010, 01:49 AM
"We accept you, gabba gabba! We accept you, one of us!" - Freaks (I think)
Thanks, bass. I have talked to my family and myself about it... I have considered the angles... I think I'm going to do it... now to get in shape...
Heh... that was kinda funny... angles... shape... not really.

SRP76
08-Sep-2010, 03:57 AM
It depends on where you are in life, what your goals are, what personality issues you have, etc.

For instance, if you're at middle-management level of an insurance firm, making $30,000/year, you wouldn't want to do it, because it would be a huge step backward career-wise.

If you happen to be a bum sleeping under an overpass and eating out of a dumpster, then it would be a step up for you.

Minerva_Zombi
08-Sep-2010, 04:38 AM
Unless you have nothing else going on in life, don't do it.

clanglee
08-Sep-2010, 05:56 AM
I actually wish I had joined the military earlier in life. For the experience, travel, and mostly the discipline. It's not the worst descision you could make. Just make sure you go into it for the right reasons.

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2010, 12:21 PM
Personally wouldn't recommend it to you, considering you might get shot/stabbed/legs blown off then I'd feel guilty for encouraging you to put yourself in harm's way.

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 12:42 PM
At this point in time, it's something you really need to think about. You're putting your life on the line, when you think about it, because you can never be sure where you'll be stationed.

A lot of members of my family have been in the service and I've been pressured since I turned 18 to join, but have refused to. The physical strain isn't what turns me off the most, it's the mental strain. There's just too much you need to sacrifice. I couldn't stand not being able to see my friends or family for such a long period of time. I don't have the self-discipline that's required to keep me going. Also, I don't take very well to authority figures so it wouldn't be very long before I got my ass kicked for disrespecting a drill sargeant one too many times.

If you're mentally prepared to do it, all the more power to you and good luck.

SRP76
08-Sep-2010, 12:55 PM
Personally wouldn't recommend it to you, considering you might get shot/stabbed/legs blown off then I'd feel guilty for encouraging you to put yourself in harm's way.

Shit, in today's world, you can have that happen by walking into the wrong neighborhood after sunset. Or taking the subway.

At least if you're in the military, you're expecting it, and prepared to try to prevent it.

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2010, 02:36 PM
Shit, in today's world, you can have that happen by walking into the wrong neighborhood after sunset. Or taking the subway.

At least if you're in the military, you're expecting it, and prepared to try to prevent it.

hahaha that's true - if you're going to willfully put yourself in harms way, might as well get paid for it too!

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2010, 02:48 PM
Some good and different angled opinions here! The only other thing I can add is (and maybe I missed it in other's posts): research, research, research! Do your best to know what you're in for. What will you be expected to do, to confront during your time in, to learn, to gain and to lose? Also, look into how other people who have recently ended their time in the service have transitioned into new careers, schooling etc.

No matter what you decide, best of luck to you.

blind2d
08-Sep-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks everybody. I really appreciate your well thought out responses and kind sentiments. I have thought about this for a while, and I should do more research, but besides that.... I think I'm ready... well, and more exercise couldn't hurt. I'm unemployed and live with my parents, so... yeah, it would definitely be a step up.

SRP76
08-Sep-2010, 10:57 PM
Well, what do you want to do for a career?

All branches have many different "ratings", or jobs. You can pick up a booklet with a listing of these at any recruiting office (don't let them suck you into a sales pitch, though). Go through them, and see which ratings will translate well into your choice civilian career. For example, if you want to work in a post office, you'd be better off getting into the Navy's Postal Clerk (PC) rating than you would by joining as a Gunner's Mate (GM).

soulsyfn
09-Sep-2010, 03:06 PM
I must reiterate what others have said... i have the highest respect for anyone that serves in our military. Before I can say yes or no, how old are you? Where are you at in life? Why are you joining? What do you expect to get out of it?

I have a friend that works for the VA and I can tell you this... you are never really prepared for the physcological impact military service can have. Even the most highly trained athletic killing machines can be reduced to blubbering babies by what they experience. And with the country at war on many fronts chances are you will be exposed to violence like none you can imagine. Visit a VA talk to soldiers that have returned... that is great insight.

Like Aces said... research research research! Even when you think your ready... you probably aren't.

blind2d
09-Sep-2010, 05:04 PM
Great suggestions soulsyfn. I'll look into that. Thank you.