PDA

View Full Version : I got my dream job!!!

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 12:34 PM
So, as some of you know, I love to create my own short films. One of my biggest passions in life is editing. Back in the late 90's, when VHS-C was still the standard :eek:, I was editing things using 2 VCR's with a CD player hooked into audio for the soundtracks! Man, I can't believe I used to put myself through that.

My first personal computer I got, around the age of 16, only had 10gigs of space on it. Now THAT was a pain in the ass whenever trying to edit something that was longer than 3 minutes long, as I'd have to edit the first half then render it out and delete all the source files to make space in order to upload/edit the rest of the footage.

Anyway, I recently got my first job with a company as an editor and I couldn't be any more excited. Not only am I looking forward to the fact that I no longer will have to physically GO to work, as I will be editing from home, but I'll also be getting paid to do what I absolutely love to do.

I just had to share my joy with youz guyz and I know some of you can relate.

bassman
08-Sep-2010, 12:35 PM
Good news, mike. Hopefully it will continue to work out for you.

LouCipherr
08-Sep-2010, 12:40 PM
Congrats, Mike!

It's always nice when you land a job you're not only good at, but you enjoy doing. It's rare, but it happens!

Hope it works out for you. :D

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, dudes. It's the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to starting a job. (and I've had quite a few)

LouCipherr
08-Sep-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks, dudes. It's the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to starting a job. (and I've had quite a few)

There is no better job to have than the one you wake up wanting to go to. :D

Wrong Number
08-Sep-2010, 01:39 PM
Congrats! That's great news.

WN

DjfunkmasterG
08-Sep-2010, 01:41 PM
So, as some of you know, I love to create my own short films. One of my biggest passions in life is editing. Back in the late 90's, when VHS-C was still the standard :eek:, I was editing things using 2 VCR's with a CD player hooked into audio for the soundtracks! Man, I can't believe I used to put myself through that.

My first personal computer I got, around the age of 16, only had 10gigs of space on it. Now THAT was a pain in the ass whenever trying to edit something that was longer than 3 minutes long, as I'd have to edit the first half then render it out and delete all the source files to make space in order to upload/edit the rest of the footage.

Anyway, I recently got my first job with a company as an editor and I couldn't be any more excited. Not only am I looking forward to the fact that I no longer will have to physically GO to work, as I will be editing from home, but I'll also be getting paid to do what I absolutely love to do.

2 questions

1. What are you editing with Software and specs of PC
2. Are they hiring? :D

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 01:44 PM
2 questions

1. What are you editing with Software and specs of PC
2. Are they hiring? :D

Final Cut Pro 7 on a MacBook Pro: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of DDR3. They only accept FCP editors, as they have templates for certain projects.

Haha, as far as hiring I don't think they still are but you'd need to live in the area for meetings.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Sep-2010, 01:46 PM
Philly is an hour by train dude.

MAC is the issue though... I am a VEGAS man

AcesandEights
08-Sep-2010, 01:47 PM
You got hired for your dream job? That really happens?!?! :eek:

I guess I should say congratulations and you had best enjoy yourself! This is especially good news, as this market is atrocious for decent jobs in most industries.

Anyway: :thumbsup:

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 01:53 PM
Philly is an hour by train dude.

I used Vegas for quite some time and I really like it. I actually liked it better than Premiere. However, Final Cut now owns my heart.

You got hired for your dream job? That really happens?!?! :eek:

I guess I should say congratulations and you had best enjoy yourself! This is especially good news, as this market is atrocious for decent jobs in most industries.

Anyway: :thumbsup:

Thanks man. Yeah, it's a nice sigh of relief as my girlfriend and I have been having financial issues for quite some time. That's the beauty of entertainment/media, though - it will always be in demand, no matter how shitty the economy.

LouCipherr
08-Sep-2010, 03:08 PM

Thou shalt learn the ways of Final Cut Pro.. :lol:

Actually dude, from what I've seen of Final Cut Pro, it doesn't seem that far off from Vegas.. I could be wrong, as I've never sat down and messed with it, but from what I've heard and seen, it seems awfully similar. ;)

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2010, 03:37 PM

that is fucking fantastic news - your dream job and my dream job are the same! I got my dream job at the start of the year, although my stick is slightly shorter as I work in broadcasting so therefore can't work from home really - which is a shame, but knowing me I'd never get anything done!

What equipment are you using and what are you going to be editing? Where are you based and are you staff or freelance? What is the industry like where you are because over here, it's VERY tough to get a staff editor's job - there are only a handful in the entire country...!

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Final Cut Pro 7 on a MacBook Pro: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of DDR3. They only accept FCP editors, as they have templates for certain projects.

Haha, as far as hiring I don't think they still are but you'd need to live in the area for meetings.

Ahh you answered my question here....

Argh FCP...I need to learn that bitch...I got two days training on it next week I think then I'm skill swapping my AFX for a friend's FCP skills...I'm all Avid baby, it's GOT to be Avid for me - which is limiting especially with the way the industry is going.

Are you producing too or just editing?

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Thanks man. Yeah, it's a nice sigh of relief as my girlfriend and I have been having financial issues for quite some time. That's the beauty of entertainment/media, though - it will always be in demand, no matter how shitty the economy.

actually when the economy gets worse, there's a higher demand for entertainment as people ditch outdoor activities in favour of watching telly! in the recession my company saw a massive boom in subscriptions...the thing you have got to watch out for in broadcasting is the devolution of tape based editing and tape formats - companies going tapeless takes away a lot of editing from the industry as suddenly half the stuff doesn't need legalising or will be pre-edited by a "Preditor" (producer/editor)...hopefully it will just make way for better work - but who knows...

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

congrats anyway cos I know you were aiming for his role or something similar so I'm completely stoked for you - glad you broke into it, and pretty quickly too!

darth los
08-Sep-2010, 03:52 PM
Shit man. Congrats.

It's rare when you get to do something you love for a living. Cherish it.

:cool:

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 03:57 PM
Thou shalt learn the ways of Final Cut Pro.. :lol:

Actually dude, from what I've seen of Final Cut Pro, it doesn't seem that far off from Vegas.. I could be wrong, as I've never sat down and messed with it, but from what I've heard and seen, it seems awfully similar. ;)

Vegas IS very similar to Final Cut. However, you can do far more fine-tuning with FC... it's also much more stable. Plus some of the third-party plug-ins are out of this world incredible.

Where are you based and are you staff or freelance? What is the industry like where you are because over here, it's VERY tough to get a staff editor's job - there are only a handful in the entire country...!

I'm staff, hence having to take the "class" next week. There were around 30 people that were considered for the job, after resumes and sample videos, that number was cut in half, then when I went to the meeting last week there were only 6 of us remaining and we're the ones they're keeping.

I'll be editing commercials for companies/towns all over the nation.

Argh FCP...I need to learn that bitch...I got two days training on it next week I think then I'm skill swapping my AFX for a friend's FCP skills...I'm all Avid baby, it's GOT to be Avid for me - which is limiting especially with the way the industry is going.

I've never even seen what Avid's interface is like. I'd like to give it a go some day.

Are you producing too or just editing?

No producing... yet. :sneaky:

congrats anyway cos I know you were aiming for his role or something similar so I'm completely stoked for you - glad you broke into it, and pretty quickly too!

Thanks, man!

blind2d
08-Sep-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow, excellent. Congratulations on your victory! Sometimes life is okay...

BillyRay
08-Sep-2010, 05:01 PM
Way to go, Mike!

Publius
09-Sep-2010, 09:34 AM
Congratulations Mike, that sounds awesome. I'd love to work from home. Nah, on second thought, my family would never let me get anything done. :P

MikePizzoff
09-Sep-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys.

As for working at home... I foresee myself having many late nights editing, so I can spend my days as I please.