PDA

View Full Version : MONSTERS my official "cant wait for this!" film of 2010

Danny
09-Sep-2010, 03:16 AM
njeofv4dr9Q

So if you havent heard of it, and its been obscenely under the radar so dont feel bad, is a film described as district 9 meets cloverfeild meets the road meets 28 days later meets hp lovecraft.

Six years ago a space probe collecting samples from a meteor passing through our system crashed on reentry in mexico.

Soon after bizaare new life forms began to appear on in north mexico, which has been completely lost to the alien lifeforms and is closed off by huge concrete walls along its north and south border.

The protagonists are a wartime photogapher and his girlfriend who snuck in now trying to get out now they know just how bad the situation is. In a sci-fi road trip through a country thats completely lost to an alien bioforming catastrophe.

This has been on my radar for a while as the only film i am really excited for and everything i see gets me more excited.

Heres hoping its not a total dud love cloverfield or splice. Both looked great in advertising, mediocre at best upon viewing.

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 12:51 PM
This was already posted a few weeks ago. By Neil, I believe.

And I still say they stole the Proton Pack sound effects from Ghostbusters. Right at the start of the trailer.

MikePizzoff
09-Sep-2010, 02:32 PM
I want to be excited for this movie but the trailer doesn't do anything for me.

If you're into monster movies, a must-see is the Korean film The Host. I absolutely love it. Not often will I view a movie 4-5 times within a year and a half.

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2010, 03:17 PM
a film described as district 9 meets cloverfeild meets the road meets 28 days later meets hp lovecraft.
:eek: Wow, big boots to fill in every sense of the words, but it looks like it could...just possibly...be awesome.

I missed Neil's earlier post on this, or I have since forgotten about it, so thanks for posting this. I'll definitely keep an ear cocked for more info.

Danny
09-Sep-2010, 03:30 PM
I want to be excited for this movie but the trailer doesn't do anything for me.

If you're into monster movies, a must-see is the Korean film The Host. I absolutely love it. Not often will I view a movie 4-5 times within a year and a half.

Thats a good move too.

Danny
28-Sep-2010, 02:27 AM
So i just watched it and honestly its dull, underwhelming and overall disappointing.

There is only one type of lifeform, a big walking squid type creature that lays eggs in tree fungi and leech electrical power. The effects were utterly "stuff form 6 years ago floating above the ground" and what imagery there was may have been striking and at times beautiful but lend nothing to the proceedings other than a neat background and the whole film goes absolutely nowhere.

This is a film about walking essentially. its 90 minutes and the first 30 are setting up these two people who by the end are in love after only knowing each other for about 72 hours.

There characters are bland and cookie cutter and just uninteresting and the last 60 minutes is basically them walking or riding a vehicle being jokey or mopey with the occasional weird sign of devastation left behind.

Then it ends so abruptly i literally sat up going "WHAT THE FUCK." because i felt gypped, like i just saw something where a guy promises cloverfield meets district 9 but its really a boring indie flick thats only use is to gain a budget for a hollywood remake or sequel and honestly i was left wanting the 90 minutes back.

I wasn't engaging with it, i was disinterested. They had a great premise with multiple paths to take but at the junctures where i thought "okay NOW things are going to get interesting" it was always some cop out like they stumbled worried as they here groaning in the trees and 5 minutes later its just a cow. nice. 5 mins down, 85 to go.

Honestly i dont recommend this movie and its a shame because it had so much potentially that has unfortunately been wasted.

DubiousComforts
28-Sep-2010, 03:32 AM
So i just watched it and honestly its dull, underwhelming and overall disappointing.
Sorry to hear it was a letdown. Your description certainly had me interested for a bit. Where is this available to watch? VOD?

+100

The Host / Gwoemul is the reason that Cloverfield was even made; Paramount lost its bid for the remake rights to Universal and so they fast-tracked the latter film.

If you enjoyed The Host, you should also check out last year's Haeundae -- best disaster film I've seen in a long time.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AsUas89TZX0/TDVCN7gbTLI/AAAAAAAAAVk/Eh4sQ2rn0_w/s1600/haeundae.jpg

MikePizzoff
28-Sep-2010, 11:41 AM
The Host / Gwoemul is the reason that Cloverfield was even made; Paramount lost its bid for the remake rights to Universal and so they fast-tracked the latter film.

If you enjoyed The Host, you should also check out last year's Haeundae -- best disaster film I've seen in a long time.

Pretty cool piece of Host/Cloverfield trivia.

Funny you should mention Haeundae [Tidal Wave] - I was just watching a bit of it the other day. Didn't have time to watch more than the first 15 mins, though. I plan on finishing it some time soon.

DubiousComforts
28-Sep-2010, 02:15 PM
Pretty cool piece of Host/Cloverfield trivia.

Of course, Paramount would deny this every chance they get. I'm just grateful that plans for a Hollywood remake of The Host hit a snag long enough for audiences to enjoy the original.

You have to dedicate two solid hours to watching Haeundae since it's a slow build to the "disaster" aspect of the story. It's worth the effort. I'm just pissed that I missed seeing this film in the theater; we have a large Korean population where I live and it played in the area for two solid months.

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 02:26 PM

Hurm. Abrams claims he got the idea after seeing Godzilla memorablilia in Japan. He thought america could use a good monster movie...

DubiousComforts
28-Sep-2010, 02:43 PM
Hurm. Abrams claims he got the idea after seeing Godzilla memorablilia in Japan. He thought america could use a good monster movie...

I'm sure that he was completely oblivious to The Host which is said to be the all-time highest grossing film in South Korea.

Danny
28-Sep-2010, 03:09 PM

Thats because abrams is the epitome of hipster indie wannabe cuntism.

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 03:10 PM
Thats because abrams is the epitome of hipster indie wannabe cuntism.

:lol:

You do know that he directed the Star Trek reboot? The one you were praising just the other day. :p

Danny
28-Sep-2010, 03:27 PM
:lol:

You do know that he directed the Star Trek reboot? The one you were praising just the other day. :p

Doucehbags can make good movies dude. look at tim burton and edward scissor hands yknow?

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 03:28 PM
True dat. True dat.

Too bad his tv shows sucked. :p

DubiousComforts
28-Sep-2010, 05:50 PM
Doucehbags can make good movies dude. look at tim burton and edward scissor hands yknow?
Edwards Scissorhands is good?

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 06:26 PM
Edwards Scissorhands is good?

I certainly think so. Burton's early career was fantastic. Beetlejuice, Batman, Pee Wee, Scissorhands, Ed Wood. The only thing "recent" of his that I liked was Big Fish. Tear jerker, that one.

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 01:58 AM
Oh, I think Burton's early works are ousttanding: Vincent, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice. I could watch Nightmare Before Christmas all day long.

But the trouble with Edward Scissorhands -- it was just one sappy Danny Elfman score and Winona Ryder starring vehicle too many.

bassman
29-Sep-2010, 02:14 AM
I could watch Nightmare Before Christmas all day long.

Good movie, but techincally not Burton's. It's Burton's story, but the stop motion direction is from the great Henry Selick.

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 02:23 AM
Good movie, but techincally not Burton's. It's Burton's story, but the stop motion direction is from the great Henry Selick.
I know, but it is Burton's story and characters, and has his sardonic wit stamped all over it. I don't know why there aren't more films based on his original stories rather than Planet of the Apes or Alice in Wonderland rehashing.

bassman
29-Sep-2010, 02:35 AM
Stainboy, Corpse Bride, and an upcoming full feature Frankenweenie are on the way. A few original pieces. Whether they're as good as his early work is debatable, but he does have a few original things in recent memory.

But as you said, I just hope he drops the remake crap....

BillyRay
29-Sep-2010, 02:15 PM
I know, but it is Burton's story and characters, and has his sardonic wit stamped all over it. I don't know why there aren't more films based on his original stories rather than Planet of the Apes or Alice in Wonderland rehashing.

Agreed. It's like he's been a misician producing albums of cover tunes to fulfill a contactual obligation.

Never as good as his own personal vision.

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 02:51 PM
But as you said, I just hope he drops the remake crap....
Didn't I read that Burton was doing something with The Adams Family? Clearly, those characters could do without another rehash.

Unfortunately, Corpse Bride was not nearly as entertaining as NBC. Burton needs to quit giving work to Johnny Depp and his wife.

bassman
29-Sep-2010, 03:26 PM
Didn't I read that Burton was doing something with The Adams Family? Clearly, those characters could do without another rehash.

It's been rumored that he would make an Addams Family in stop motion. Something more in the tradition of the original Addams Family cartoons. Could work buuuuuut......probably not. :lol:

Burton's become so far out of hand with remakes that he's now remaking his own films. So after Frankenweenie, look forward to Pee Wee's Biggest Adventure. Starring Johnny Depp as Pee Wee and Mrs Burton as Francis! :|

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 05:49 PM
So after Frankenweenie, look forward to Pee Wee's Biggest Adventure. Starring Johnny Depp as Pee Wee and Mrs Burton as Francis! :|

What the hell, man?! There is no emoticon available to suitably express my disgust.

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Monsters-Gareth-Edwards-On-His-New-Film-With-Timur-Bekmambetov-21117.html

DubiousComforts
12-Nov-2010, 06:19 PM
Saw it--excellent. I really don't understand when viewers say "nothing happens." Plenty happens, maybe just not what they're expecting.

I call bullshit, however, in regards to the allegedly micro budget. Can't wait to see this either in the theater or on blu-ray.

Neil
13-Nov-2010, 06:59 AM
Saw it--excellent. I really don't understand when viewers say "nothing happens." Plenty happens, maybe just not what they're expecting.

I call bullshit, however, in regards to the allegedly micro budget. Can't wait to see this either in the theater or on blu-ray.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47433

Aside from the occasional line of unnecessary exposition, MONSTERS is a remarkable film. Visceral and compelling, it manages to get every single moment right. CLOVERFIELD is put to shame, and even DISTRICT 9 (which I liked, but did not love) pales in comparison. Edwards is one to watch, as are stars Whitney Able and Scoot McNairy, who carry the film brilliantly. Able is a subtly-drawn character, and McNairy manages to play brave and douchey at the exact same time. Even with poor character work, this film might have worked, so the great writing and superb performances are something of a large bonus.