PDA

View Full Version : "Better off Dead" retrospective

thxleo
11-Sep-2010, 04:34 AM
Very nice 2 part article on a favorite comedy of mine from the 80's.

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/09/07/better-off-dead-an-oral-history-of-the-1985-cult-comedy-john-cusack/?ncid=webmail

Doc
11-Sep-2010, 06:28 AM
I always found it weird how much, Cusack hated this film. Apparently, said "You totally screwed me." to the director. According to this, he was actively involved with the making of the movie, watching dailies every night and helping out editing the movie. So, how could he not know what it was gonna be?

You know that movie you're making, Mr. Cusack? You might wanna read the script, or something.

Eyebiter
11-Sep-2010, 08:15 AM
The garbage truck scene was always worth a good laugh.

AlEYRjlVtjg

Doc
11-Sep-2010, 10:58 AM
"Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

:lol::lol:

I remember that line! Had me in hysterics for a full 2 minutes.

acealive1
11-Sep-2010, 12:53 PM
cusack doesnt wanna be associated with anything he made in the 80's

bassman
11-Sep-2010, 01:13 PM

But just recently made a comedy set in the 80's. Weird...

MikePizzoff
11-Sep-2010, 09:32 PM
In my opinion, this is the greatest comedy of all time. Hands down.

I don't have time to read the article right now... gonna have to look at it tomorrow.

rongravy
12-Sep-2010, 01:24 AM

Haha yeah, a kickass one, but he was also trying really hard to get the heck outta there again...

Wow, I can't believe he hates this movie. I remember watching it everytime I could catch it on tv or VHS. Maybe it's sequel time. Wait until Cusack gets hard up for money someday and his movie grandkid has to take on the bad guys grandkid for bragging rights on the mountain. It could happen.

acealive1
12-Sep-2010, 03:53 AM

yea i know, odd shit. i've heard alot of reports of when people meet him or interviewers bring up his 80's past and he doesnt really seem to care for the subject

Doc
12-Sep-2010, 04:33 AM

You know I wonder why after, this film he proceeded to go work on another silly film 'Tapeheads'. So, like what? Did he also think that was going to be a serious film?

Trin
12-Sep-2010, 05:25 PM
I loved Better off Dead. I still do.

I never realized it did poorly in the theaters or that Cusack hated it. That's interesting.

MoonSylver
12-Sep-2010, 07:51 PM

http://www.thelmagazine.com/imager/summerscreen-say-anything/b/original/1678925/d613/say_anything.jpg

80's Cusack stands outside of Grown Up Cusack's window w/ boombox in hand, trying to win back his love...

;)

LouCipherr
13-Sep-2010, 12:28 PM
"I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!" :lol:

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2010, 02:20 PM
Goota love this film. The link froze my laptop at home this weekend when I clicked on it, so I've yet to try it again, but this film always stood out for me from a lot of other 80s fare because it had some real offbeat darkness to it.