PDA

View Full Version : Dead Set

bassman
20-Aug-2010, 12:37 PM
Dead Set coming to IFC in October

March 28th, 2010 10:01 pm

Dead Set coming to IFC - OctoberI have it on the best authority, Terra King, that the Reali-Z series Dead Set is due for resurrection this October on IFC.

It’s understandable if you haven’t heard of Dead Set before, as it’s a British spin-off and wasn’t aired in America. It’s a scripted show based on the reality show, Big Brother, and it originally aired back in ‘08. Stars and crew of the Big Brother house are trapped by a zombie outbreak, the effects of which are shown as a five-part miniseries.

A year or so back all around great guy and seriously missed member Mike70 sent me the series on dvd. It wasn't bad really, but I wasn't too impressed.

Anyway....looks like IFC is trying to compete with AMC this October. I think it's safe to say Walking Dead will trample all over Dead Set, but I thought some of you in the states would like to know...

Tricky
20-Aug-2010, 01:03 PM
At least they're showing the British version then, rather than doing what they normally do & remaking it with americans (life on mars & the office spring to mind).
Dead set was only meant to be a novelty thing to show around Halloween, but I think they did a good job & I really enjoyed it :D

MoonSylver
20-Aug-2010, 02:28 PM
A year or so back all around great guy and seriously missed member Mike70 sent me the series on dvd. It wasn't bad really, but I wasn't too impressed.

:stunned::annoyed::(

That's a shame. I thought it was great. One of the best things I had seen in a while. Blew me away. That final episode still sticks with me to this day.

At least they're showing the British version then, rather than doing what they normally do & remaking it with americans (life on mars & the office spring to mind).
Dead set was only meant to be a novelty thing to show around Halloween, but I think they did a good job & I really enjoyed it :D

Agreed on all points.

tkane18
26-Aug-2010, 09:21 PM
I was also surprised how much I really liked it.

bassman
26-Aug-2010, 09:35 PM
It wasn't that I didn't like the series.....it just left me with "meh". It seemed to fall short for being one of the first zombie tv shows. It wasn't bad per se, it just left me wanting more....

Hopefully TWD doesn't do the same.:stunned:

Kaos
26-Aug-2010, 09:41 PM
Good find! Looking forward to this and TWD. My daughter has become quite the zombie fan and will be watching both as well.

MoonSylver
26-Aug-2010, 10:42 PM
It wasn't that I didn't like the series.....it just left me with "meh". It seemed to fall short for being one of the first zombie tv shows. It wasn't bad per se, it just left me wanting more....

Maybe it's just because I watched it all in one go, but it almost felt more like a semi-epic movie than a TV show to me. Especially what they were able to get away with on the BBC opposed to American TV. I was pretty stunned.:stunned:

clanglee
26-Aug-2010, 11:14 PM
Maybe it's just because I watched it all in one go, but it almost felt more like a semi-epic movie than a TV show to me. Especially what they were able to get away with on the BBC opposed to American TV. I was pretty stunned.:stunned:

Yeah, here's hoping we get to see the same kind of non censored work with the Walking Dead.

MoonSylver
27-Aug-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah, here's hoping we get to see the same kind of non censored work with the Walking Dead.

I'd be surprised. I knew standards were looser abroad in terms of content, but when I saw Dead Set I was like "THIS was on regular TV?!?!". Goddamn puritan American values...:mad: :lol:

That having been said, I do think it'll push the envelope more than what we're used to seeing, but how much? *Shrug* Guess we'll see.:shifty:

bassman
27-Aug-2010, 02:12 AM
That having been said, I do think it'll push the envelope more than what we're used to seeing, but how much? *Shrug* Guess we'll see.:shifty:

As I had assumed from the start with TWD, I think this will be airing at/after 10pm. Which, if im not mistaken, is past the prime time "mainstream" market and most networks air unedited or at least less edited than they are earlier in the day. I have a feeling we'll be getting more than we expect. We'll get a good deal of it on air, and also a few extra goodies on the US dvd.

MikePizzoff
30-Aug-2010, 12:02 PM
As I had assumed from the start with TWD, I think this will be airing at/after 10pm. Which, if im not mistaken, is past the prime time "mainstream" market and most networks air unedited or at least less edited than they are earlier in the day.

Yeah, I can't remember the exact term used for it, but the hours in which "anything goes" basically is from 10pm to 6am.

As far as this show - I had downloaded the first episode wayyy back when there was first a discussion about it on here. Never got around to watching it, sadly. Perhaps I'll have to boot up my old PC and get it off of there.

ProfessorChaos
12-Sep-2010, 09:53 PM
*before someone goes and whips out the search nazi badge, i just want to say that i've been fucking around with the seach feature for 30 minutes, using 5 different phrase combinations and have gone through 20+ pages of results, everything from "balls of the dead reborn" to dead rising 2 announced..." and have had no luck, so i just started another thread...:annoyed:

anyway, just found a copy of this series last week and sat down today to watch it. so far, i've only made it through the 1st episode, but i'm really liking it overall.

while i generally can't stand the "roaring/screeching/hissing/sprinting infected" who sport bill bixby contacts, in some instances, such as dawn04, it works okay with enough intensity and action. all the acting so far is pretty good, believable (if annoying and cliche) characters, and some great gore and action. romero should have taken notes from this and realized that he'd never top that fire extinguisher kill and should've came up with some other pathetic gag-kill.

as i said, sorry for starting the 4th or 5th thread out there about this, but i couldn't find the other ones and wanted to post a quick impression of this. fans of dawn04 and intense zombie action and gore should check it out if they've not already.

MikePizzoff
12-Sep-2010, 10:22 PM
:lol: Not to be a jerk but there was a Dead Set thread right on the first page of Dead Discussion...

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17346-Dead-Set-coming-to-US-TV

Andy
12-Sep-2010, 10:25 PM
The more contact i have with fast zombies, the more i find them appealing, i would say fast zombs and shamblers are on pretty even par for me right now. Even with the realism.

ProfessorChaos
12-Sep-2010, 10:30 PM
:lol: Not to be a jerk but there was a Dead Set thread right on the first page of Dead Discussion...

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17346-Dead-Set-coming-to-US-TV

holy shit....figured this would be a long-gone topic, forgot about that thread....andy, would you mind just merging this?

MoonSylver
13-Sep-2010, 12:39 AM
*before someone goes and whips out the search nazi badge, .

We have nobody on here named Bassman who fits that description.

*anyway, just found a copy of this series last week and sat down today to watch it. so far, i've only made it through the 1st episode, but i'm really liking it overall.

Only gets better from there my friend.

while i generally can't stand the "roaring/screeching/hissing/sprinting infected" who sport bill bixby contacts, in some instances, such as dawn04, it works okay with enough intensity and action.

I've said before that this is the first time I've ever seen runners done right, even moreso than Dawn
'04.

ProfessorChaos
13-Sep-2010, 05:04 AM
wow, that was great. didn't know what to expect, but i'd heard good things about dead set...and now i'm a believer.

this was more entertaining and exciting than anything romero's done in the last decade. if you've not seen it, do yourselves a favor and check it out (that's you, majority of people on this side of the atlantic).

MoonSylver
13-Sep-2010, 05:23 AM
wow, that was great. didn't know what to expect, but i'd heard good things about dead set...and now i'm a believer.

this was more entertaining and exciting than anything romero's done in the last decade. if you've not seen it, do yourselves a favor and check it out (that's you, majority of people on this side of the atlantic).

http://kara.allthingsd.com/files/2009/09/kool-aid-man.jpg

The Professor has drunk the Kool Aid, now it's your turn.;)

ZombieGrrL
13-Sep-2010, 12:47 PM
I really liked it, yes, cliché, but riveting all the same. MUCH better than Survival Of The Dead.

DramaZombies
28-Sep-2010, 07:39 PM
i saw these a year ago, not bad, i must say i enjoyed watching reality stars getting eaten by zombies

MoonSylver
28-Sep-2010, 10:41 PM
I thought the whole "Big Brother/Reality Show" angle would be a major turn-off, but it was actually well played & nicely done. If anybody is deterred by that, I would urge them to check it out in spite of that. There's more going on in the show than just the gimmick. ;)

SymphonicX
29-Sep-2010, 09:44 AM
oh its a brilliant series, its the best runner film since the original 28 days - that and Dead Set are the only two that have done it correctly.

Parts of it are hilarious, parts are horrifying, and the intensity and claustrophobia never lets up....
And written by no other than our very own Charlie Brooker - genius.

Mr.G
02-Oct-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm still waiting for a Region 1 DVD release....