PDA

View Full Version : DAWN04: How it all Started...

Sir James Forbes
12-Jun-2006, 11:24 AM
Does anyone else other than me actually want to see how everything started? I mean so much is left to wonder how and why they're zombies suddenly on the rampage, and the director states that's part of the mystery, but I really would have liked to have seen some 'logic' applied there, instead of just the 'strike' skull and the consequent hospital visits. Oh, and the white house spokesman not knowing anything...ever...

Anyone else?

EvilNed
12-Jun-2006, 11:35 AM
No, I'm not that interested in knowing how it started. Nor am I interested in knowing how it started in Romero's films. I like it the way it is, mysterious and with the focus shifted on the plot.

Andy
12-Jun-2006, 01:00 PM
if this kind of thing happened in reality, very few people would know how it started :p

it makes it more realistic that there's no explanition

bassman
12-Jun-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't mind that Romero's films never give that information away. But for "Dawn04", I would have prefered they explained it because of the film lacking in so many other departments.

I think Romero is capable of pulling off the "no expolanation" thing.....but for some reason it doesn't seem to work anywhere else. None that I can think of at the moment, anyway.

Adrenochrome
12-Jun-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't mind that Romero's films never give that information away. But for "Dawn04", I would have prefered they explained it because of the film lacking in so many other departments.

I think Romero is capable of pulling off the "no expolanation" thing.....but for some reason it doesn't seem to work anywhere else. None that I can think of at the moment, anyway.
The only other "dead" flick I can think of that pulls off the mystery flawlessly is Shaun of the Dead.
Yawn'04 -- when I first saw this in the theater, the only thing I was wondering was "When will this stupid thing be over??" NOT, "how did it happen?" But, you're right, Yawn'04 SHOULD have hinted at some sort of explination seeing as it was lacking severely in the "Use your imagination" department.

Guru ofthe Dead
12-Jun-2006, 05:04 PM
Agreed like with any other filmaker and other films certain storywriters can pull off mystery beginnings whereas other can't pull off simple storylines. AKA House of the Dead.

Tullaryx
12-Jun-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, if one was to really get all geeky and conspiratorial, the whole thing could've been started by Muslim extremists using some sort bio-engineered weapon that went beyond their control. I only say this if one looked at the opening credit sequence. As soon as the credits started you see a quick edit cut of Muslims at prayer in a mosque then of the first instanes of the outbreak.

Really a longshot, but as good as any theory about how it began in Dawn04 than any I've heard.

Danny
12-Jun-2006, 05:52 PM
like i said in the other thread like this, the mystery is what makes it good, though it wasnt that good a film, though i am warming to it after contagium, i think the first 15 minutes or so of dawn 04 were awesome, it really felt like the whole world fell apart in a matter of minutes and gave the opening a mutch more urgent feel to it, maybe to fit the new type of zombies, as slow starts in romero films use slwo zombies. and adding a lengthy explanation would ruin the best part of the film.

plus in hindsight its a film about a group of everyday people hiding in a mall ,how the heck would they find out the cause anyway? there stories about the everyman in an unntural situation, its about how the people cope so theres no reason to find out and technically speaking how in the hell could they?, in day maybe but in either night or dawn?, hell no.

Svengoolie
12-Jun-2006, 06:42 PM

Yeah....but that's simply not the case.

GAR DID in fact explain how the phenomenon got started in the original NOTLD with the strange radiation from the Venus Probe....and then ignored that portion of the plot (along with period continuity and a coherent timeline) in the other films.

bassman
12-Jun-2006, 07:31 PM

GAR DID in fact explain how the phenomenon got started in the original NOTLD with the strange radiation from the Venus Probe....and then ignored that portion of the plot (along with period continuity and a coherent timeline) in the other films.

Actually, no. A definite answer is never given in ANY of Romero's films.

And just for reference, the films aren't supposed to have period continuity or timeline....

AssassinFromHell
13-Jun-2006, 01:15 AM

Romero never gave an explanation. The reporter speculated by sporting a possible connection. But never once, was it announced as the official cause for the undead rise.

...or maybe it was when a Russian pilot crashed and was carrying a special contagium. Then a bunch of retards in an asylum find it and let it loose, and the zombies come. :eek: (Sorry, couldn't help but reference Contagium:p )

DeadCentral
13-Jun-2006, 09:26 AM
Actually, no. A definite answer is never given in ANY of Romero's films.

And just for reference, the films aren't supposed to have period continuity or timeline....

Actually, it IS defined in the original NOTLD as radiation from the returning Venus space probe that had exploded upon entering into our atmosphere, but it was not elaborated on enough to bring that explaination to the fore front. Watch the film and pay attention to the news casts.
Bill Hinzman also verified this in an interview I did with him a while back.

bassman
13-Jun-2006, 12:38 PM
Actually, it IS defined in the original NOTLD as radiation from the returning Venus space probe that had exploded upon entering into our atmosphere, but it was not elaborated on enough to bring that explaination to the fore front. Watch the film and pay attention to the news casts.
Bill Hinzman also verified this in an interview I did with him a while back.

Just like Assassin said....it's only speculation from the newscaster. It's never given as THE DEFINITE cause.

Danny
13-Jun-2006, 04:44 PM
yeah i thought everyone knew that?, its not just radiation but if you look hard during the film theres more possible things that caused it to happen ,of course i wont tell you ,you gotta look for yourselves.

ya lazy bastards!:D

p2501
13-Jun-2006, 05:03 PM
If it were done by better writers and a decent director, yes i would like to see it.

but sans the actors and the production artists, the entire dawn 2k4 team was ass.

Doc Foster
13-Jun-2006, 06:45 PM
No, I'm not that interested in knowing how it started. Nor am I interested in knowing how it started in Romero's films. I like it the way it is, mysterious and with the focus shifted on the plot.

Yeah, what he said...this is part of both films' appeal, IMO.

Svengoolie
13-Jun-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification, DeadCentral. If anybody would know, it's you.

You know, someone (who obviously prefered to remain nameless) actually gave me a negative rep point for that post...:rolleyes:

axlish
13-Jun-2006, 07:17 PM
Actually, it IS defined in the original NOTLD as radiation from the returning Venus space probe that had exploded upon entering into our atmosphere, but it was not elaborated on enough to bring that explaination to the fore front.

It was merely mention in the broadcast as a potential cause of the phenomenon. The reporter even states "Could this radiation... somehow be responsible for the mass homicide..." Hardly conclusive if you ask me. Also, Romero has been on the record many times stating that he wishes that part could be edited out because so many took it literally.

I find it odd that we focus so intensely on a minor comment in a newscast in the film. If we applied the same focus in the Night remake, could we then assume that the phenomenon was due to the prophesies written in the books of revalation?

bassman
13-Jun-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification, DeadCentral. If anybody would know, it's you.

You know, someone (who obviously prefered to remain nameless) actually gave me a negative rep point for that post...:rolleyes:

The same thing happened to me on another thread. Funny, isn't it?

Speaking of.....I wonder why it doesn't automatically list the person's name that leaves the rep(positive or negative)...

Svengoolie
13-Jun-2006, 07:37 PM
I find it odd that we focus so intensely on a minor comment in a newscast in the film.

I would hardly call it a "minor comment" since those newscasts were a big part of the film.

The newscast snippets in the NOTLD remake could be called "minor" because they were mentioned only once over a bit of the film that lasted for mere seconds...while the radiation question was a big part of the original NOTLD.

bassman
13-Jun-2006, 07:47 PM
I would hardly call it a "minor comment" since those newscasts were a big part of the film.

The newscast snippets in the NOTLD remake could be called "minor" because they were mentioned only once over a bit of the film that lasted for mere seconds...while the radiation question was a big part of the original NOTLD.

What exactly do you consider to be a "big part"? I remember it being very minor....but it has been awhile since I last saw it.

Arcades057
13-Jun-2006, 08:46 PM
Sven, welcome to the wonderful world of The Nerds Strike Back. The people who can't hold an argument finally have a way to get back at you. In the past I assume they'd just post something and you'd go off on them and they'd cry about it, ultimately looking like an ass. Today they can sit in the shadows and hit your reps, feeling good about themselves.

As to the original thread, I'd like to see how it started too. I like to see things in films, not just have things there for me to explain to myself. I guess that's the kind of thing some people like, but to me it feels like a cop-out for the author or director to make the reader or viewer to come up with his own conclusions.

axlish
13-Jun-2006, 09:12 PM
I think Romero's films have gone on too long without a concrete explanation to try and tackle it now.

Oddly enough, most of the other zombie series offer explanations.

Return of the Living Dead - Trioxin 245
Zombie - Voodoo
Resident Evil - T-Virus

As for the Dawn remake, if they wanted to show the beginning in the sequel, that would be pretty cool assuming that the writing would be good.

Adrenochrome
13-Jun-2006, 10:48 PM
The same thing happened to me on another thread. Funny, isn't it?

Speaking of.....I wonder why it doesn't automatically list the person's name that leaves the rep(positive or negative)...
I get both negative and positive reps daily. Some I understand why and some I don't (both neg and pos), I don't see why it bothers some people what or where their rep is at...:rolleyes: I'm just here to have fun, relax and commune with my zombie (and GAR, of course) bretheren and sister`theren:D

peace

DeadCentral
14-Jun-2006, 12:34 AM
I don't even pay attention to the rep system, I think it's a waste...

Sven, Thanks for you're vote of confidence, sarcasim or not, I stated what I know, what is fact is probably a whole differentt animal, but as I said , Bill Hinzman, who was involved in writing the original NOTLD in a small portion, did indeed tell me that radiation was the original idea.
It's in the interview on my site ( when my server comes back online somtime this week :mad: )
The idea was based on a loosely made joke about the returning space probe of that time period, I'd have to read it again to name which one..... but I guess this very question was discussed back in '67 when they were filming....

Since the question is at hand though, I wonder...
In DOTD 2004 it's bite that causes the phenom... get bitten , turn , and bite someone else, they turn , so now... here's my question... if it was the bite that started it all... where'd the first "zombie" come from ???
to me this is the real "chicken or the egg" question.

glsjaw
14-Jun-2006, 01:51 AM
no explanation necessary, NO

general tbag
14-Jun-2006, 05:40 AM
well when u dont know whats going on alot of assumptions are made. much like the nbird flu of recent, there are more questions than answers.

and i am suprised day of the dead wasnt mentioned. wasnt the team assembled to figure out why, and to find a cure, if any .

i myself liked the radiation newscast, i felt it added to the chaos at present. with the chaos spreading faster than any answers, and much like dawn, putting survival before answers.

Doc Foster
14-Jun-2006, 04:47 PM
Oddly enough, most of the other zombie series offer explanations.

Zombie - Voodoo

Not sure about that. Granted, there are voodoo drums heard on the soundtrack, and voodoo is being talked about as well, but who says that this is the actual explanation for the dead to rise on Matul? Who did the voodoo, and why?? The way I see it, this is just one ATTEMPT to explain why these things are happening in "Zombie" - similar to the various theories expressed in Romero's films.

Guru ofthe Dead
14-Jun-2006, 05:31 PM
Not sure about that. Granted, there are voodoo drums heard on the soundtrack, and voodoo is being talked about as well, but who says that this is the actual explanation for the dead to rise on Matul? Who did the voodoo, and why?? The way I see it, this is just one ATTEMPT to explain why these things are happening in "Zombie" - similar to the various theories expressed in Romero's films.
Well I'm not sure. I call myself the Guru because I've seem em all except for some of the newer one's that I have'nt had the chance to see yet. As far as the Zombie series goes I think that it was Zombie4 that said it was voodoo. However they are not in a sequel aspect like most movies. The Italians use the word Zombi for Dawn of the Dead. Dario started that and the movie Zombie is actually called Zombi2 in Italy because of that. I still like the guessing game it gives us an opportunity to discuss what we think started it all. As far as Sven goes. Man I got reps for things that I not sure of either. That's cool though keep on giving your opinions whether we like them or not. I read some comments I did'nt like but that's your opinion and we can agree or disagree.

MissJacksonCA
30-May-2007, 04:23 AM
The beginning of Dawn 04 was a great beginning... she's there when the infected patient comes in ...she, like many people turn off the TV when the news comes on so she misses what's going on... wake up and the worlds a different place overnight.

I'd like to see a movie that shows why the zombies started because they're not going to show how to end it beyond killing them one by one. At least I doubt they would because of the rate of the contagious nature of the zombie 'virus' I think if a movie made it realistic its more scary than if its just ...well wouldn't it be neat if zombies appeared suddenly... to make it a possibility its not a question of if but when...

Kinda like Friday the 13th was scary because you can see counselors having sex and a kid drowing due to their negligence and his mother attacking counselors after that for retribution... so its scary to be a camp counselor... but once he came back from the dead its now kinda silly

DVW5150
30-May-2007, 04:19 PM
We have waxed over this , there have been some great theories in the past.
The article on Alomal-137 was really good.

In the commentary on I think its Dawn 78 dvd GAR says something about keeping it hazy on how it started.

Much like the less you see the more it can be frightening. The less you know is equally scary.

BTW :
I must say that the 28 Days Later now in hindsight has alot more power when you watch it, knowing what is continued in 28 Weeks ...
Those events in the first 10 minutes of '28 days' are very disturbing.
The fact that they are attempting to save these animals from testing is a statement that is fairly contemporary. The chimp thats strapped down in front of the monitors showing all the violence thats been captured in recent weeks around the world is psychically fearsome.
The warning from the doctor or intern nebbish, that interrupts their intentions.
" They have been given an inhibitor!"
" They have been infected ."
"Infected with what?!"
"...rage."
As I viewed 28 Weeks, I had forgotten how this avulsion to humanity had started : with a chimp bite.

The yarn that Mr Boyle has started is anything but docile.

sgrosse
31-May-2007, 06:13 PM
Im more interested in seeing the initial outbreak. Dawn04 started off pretty much when the outbreak set in. I would love to have seen the initial reports. Maybe a prequel. I say prequel because by the time dawn ended there didnt seem to be any people left.

MissJacksonCA
31-May-2007, 07:05 PM
At the end it does seem like the world is over run by zombies... but yeah it would be spiffy to see more of the initial outbreak from a variety of standpoints... like from the people who hear emergency snippets on the radio and change the station only to face what they were about to warn them of...

but i do love carnage so go figure i want to see more of it!

darth los
31-May-2007, 07:21 PM
So many zombie films follow the same formula of following the plight of a singleband of survivors. I would also like to see the plauge from diffenent standpoints such as how the government is dealing with it. ( In the dawn 04' extras the have a scene on the news cast that says in an attempt to aggressively defend its borders China has dropped nukes) That sort of thing. I wanna see cities being over run,( like in RE: apocalypse) also how religious leaders ( the Pope, for example) are dealing with it. A couple of these ideas have been done, but never in one place.

Cody
31-May-2007, 11:24 PM
darth you just gave me wood

darth los
31-May-2007, 11:30 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!! lol