PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the Living Dead - Blu-Ray (A DjfunkmasterG Review)

DjfunkmasterG
15-Sep-2010, 10:30 PM
Ok, if you know me, you know I love ROTLD, and was super excited that it was finally coming to Blu-Ray. I was able to get my disc two days early via BEST BUY in Germantown, MD and was going to wait to open it until Monster Mania in Baltimore so the cast could sign it fresh... but curiosity on the PQ and AQ got the better of me and I opeted crack it open to have a looksy. I won't review the movie because I am biased and would give it 10 stars just for being awesome. So this will strictly be a review of the quality of the BR disc.

SPECS:
25gb Single BR Disc
AVC Encode at 24mbps
5.1 DTS HD-MA Audio (English Only)
2.0 English Mono, French and Spanish Language
Cast Commentary
Director Commentary
All special features from 2007 and 2002 DVD release.

The package comes as a BD/DVD combo 2 disc set. Tis one of the cheapo BR cases with the missing middle.

Picture Quality: The transfer is from the 2002 re-master which constituted the original DVD release. There is a very noticeable amount of grain and dirt on the print and nothing in the transfer makes the film STAND OUT from any of the previous DVD releases. Although TARMAN seemed to have a bit more punch in his look than he did in any of the previous DVD releases. UPDATE: Had another looksie and bumped up the rating. Watching on my PLASMA the movie seems to have a bit more detail.... or it could be my 4 year old LCD is dying =(

The film has a soft look at times and shows every bit of its 25 year age. So in essence I give the transfer 3.0 out of 5 stars

Audio Quality: Return of the Living Dead is presented in a DTS HD-MA english track as well as carry over English, French and Spanish 2.0 Mono tracks from the previous releases.

The DTS track has some punch and makes the films main theme stand out. The music tracks seems to benefit the most from this DTS Mixdown, but a majority of the audio comes straight from the L-R front channels, and sometimes the center channel, but not often. I don't want to say the mix is a waste because it gives the music more depth than it has ever had, but they could have done more to bring up the surround on other FX. I give the audio track 3.5 stars out of 5 stars

FINAL THOUGHTS While I am one of the biggest fans of ROTLD I can honestly say since no new BR based material exists other than the DTS track this disc is not worth the $19.99 asking price from the local B&M stores. at best I would suggest searching out a cheaper online price or waiting for it to drop to the $9.99 bin. Your 2005 or 2007 DVD release would be suffice to carry you over until MGM and 20th Century Fox (Who distributes MGM Product) gives the film the proper treatment it deserves.

3 stars out of 5 stars - FINAL RATING

MikePizzoff
15-Sep-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the review. Glad I took the time to read it as this movie would probably be one of the first movies I bought whenever I get my Blu-Ray player. However, now I know I'm going to lay off this one.

bassman
15-Sep-2010, 10:58 PM
Not that i'm really broken up over this release, but it sucks how they often turn out subpar results on BR. They think if they just throw a shit transfer on a BR disc, we'll be content to suck it up happily...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Sep-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the review. Glad I took the time to read it as this movie would probably be one of the first movies I bought whenever I get my Blu-Ray player. However, now I know I'm going to lay off this one.

Yeah mike, it is a bit of a let down... now if you're an AQ guy like Lou... He would love this simply for the DTS track, but other than that there is not much to offer here. I don't want to say i am extremely disappointed, but I am a bit sad of this subpar release.

Kaos
16-Sep-2010, 12:42 AM
Good review, Gary. I will be picking it up when it is in the $12.99 or lower bin on amazon. Probably 4 months from now.

darth los
16-Sep-2010, 02:19 AM
Same here even though it'll bother me everyday until then that I don't have it. :(

:cool:

Mr.G
16-Sep-2010, 03:16 AM
Does it have the original theatre audio or the udpated DVD version? TIA!

DjfunkmasterG
16-Sep-2010, 10:33 AM
It has English 2.0 Mono Which is original Theater

axlish
17-Sep-2010, 11:55 AM
Soundtrack alterations still present?

DjfunkmasterG
17-Sep-2010, 12:51 PM
Yep...

DjfunkmasterG
17-Sep-2010, 12:52 PM
Does it have the original theatre audio or the udpated DVD version? TIA! Let me be clear on this... it is still the altered audio track, because that is what Dan O'Bannon wanted and because of a copyright issue with one of the songs used int he original cut of the film. So all audio tracks are altered.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Sep-2010, 11:48 AM
Return of the Living Dead now $10.49 on AMAZON http://www.amazon.com/Return-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B003WTO5S4/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285156035&sr=8-1

Kaos
22-Sep-2010, 10:03 PM
I ordered it minutes after you posted it on my iphone. I knew this thing would be good for something.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Sep-2010, 10:23 AM
1-3 Week delay which sucks, but you can't beat the price.

Kaos
23-Sep-2010, 01:18 PM
I can wait. I wasn't expecting this price for several more months so getting it in the first half of October ain't too shabby.