PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Cinematographers

bassman
20-Sep-2010, 12:03 AM
Interesting article about filming the atomic bomb tests between the forties and sixties. A group of 250 Hollywood cinematographers, directors, and producers were hired to take part in the top secret operation. Make sure you check out the videos on the sides of the page. Scary stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/science/14atom.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3

After inaugurating the nuclear age and dropping two atomic bombs on Japan in World War II, the United States threw itself into expanding its nuclear arsenal. New designs required test detonations to make sure they worked properly. Between 1946 and 1962, the nation set off more than 200 atmospheric blasts.

ProfessorChaos
20-Sep-2010, 02:18 AM
interesting read, son-of-a-whore (see my sig, the chatbox, and your own admissions about buying survival about that one;)).

it's gonna sound pretty odd, but i've always thought that mushroom clouds were pretty majestic looking. and the amount of destruction they release is unbelievable. having said that, there's really no reason to have 20k of them just hanging around. if they ever fell into the wrong hands....

there's lots of footage of some of the testing available on youtube as well.
94ZWE8qxiAg
-22tna7KHzI

from the article, though, this quote (discussing using pigs as test subjects for atomic blast damage) kinda bothered me:

“Some were still squealing,” he said. “You could smell the meat burning. It made you sick. I thought, ‘Oh, how terrible. If they were humans they would have suffered terribly.’ ”

this dude surely realizes that animals have feelings, emotions, etc. right?

bassman
20-Sep-2010, 11:59 AM
interesting read, son-of-a-whore (see my sig, the chatbox, and your own admissions about buying survival about that one;)).

Why I oughta!

http://blog.mcneilorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/callumwks6-10-11.jpg

if they ever fell into the wrong hands....

If? I think we're beyond that point already. It's just a question of when they're going to use them...

That second video you posted...is it real? Looks odd to me. Almost like it was a really good animation.