View Full Version : Tolerable/Intolerable children's shows

Mr. Clean
20-Sep-2010, 06:31 PM
Being a parent, sometimes you must give up the t.v. to your child/children. Doing so you end up watching some of their shows. Somewhere from the beginning of my nephew's t.v. take over when I was still living with my parents(years ago) and my own son now taking over my own t.v., I have developed a personal list of what cartoons I don't mind and ones I can't stand to watch.

I refuse...and I mean absolutely refuse to watch another split second of Hip Hop Harry on my 50" Plasma. Will someone please do a drive-by or something on this gangsta teddy bear.

Max and Ruby is another I can not stand.

"Max, this is our house payment. You must take it to the bank otherwise we're going to lose our house." On his way to the bank, Max spots a ice cream shack and blows all their money on ice cream. The bank kicks the family of rabbits to the curb and tells them tough luck. Ruby asks Max what happened to the money and all Max does is smile and yell ICE CREAM over and over again.

My kid will watch old Popeye cartoons on Boomarang though. I'm trying to get him into Dragon Ball Z but not sure if that's really a smart move because everytime I take a nap or close my eyes on the couch, I end up getting smacked in the head with a super hard toy. :mad:

MinionZombie
20-Sep-2010, 06:46 PM
Just moved this into Media Discussion.

Speaking of kids shows, there was one on when I was at uni called "The Shiny Show" or something like that, and it was these three puppet characters obsessed with shiny objects ... kind of hard to explain, but it cracked me up and was what I'd watch while eating cereal just before heading off for a 9am seminar or lecture. :D

VF_NdhbFg8U

Mr. Clean
20-Sep-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't mind watching "The Upside Down show". Just because it's so damn creative and some of the things they do are pretty funny. It's just annoying that they don't have very many episodes and the rerun the crap out of the ones they have.

bassman
20-Sep-2010, 07:03 PM
I consider myself lucky so far. My little daughter LOVES Spongebob, so quite often we'll watch that and I enjoy the hell out of it. She also sometimes watches my older cartoons like Ren & Stimpy, Looney Tunes, and Real Ghostbusters. So most of the time it works out in my favor. Same with the old Disney movies. I'm telling you, there's something about the way those things are drawn that makes them strangely hypnotic. I put on Peter Pan or Snow White and she won't move for the entire duration...

BUT....then are the other times. As you mentioned, I can't stand Max & Ruby. My wife once brought a funny point - Where the fuck are Max & Ruby's parents?!?:lol:

Another one I hate is Dora the Explorer(do they think that rhymes?). I'm not racist in the least. I'm all for the melding of cultures and whatnot, but what I do not agree with is trying to teach kids several languages at once. Yeah, I know they learn easier during these early years, but when you're switching back and forth between two languages it just confuses them! That's my opinion, anyway. Same with Ni Hao, Kai Lan.

She's also really into Yo Gabba Gabba. I really don't have much of a problem with this show as it gets her excited and moving around, but something about the host just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know what - I can't explain it. I just look at the guy and instantly think Pedophile.:lol: I dunno...

JDFP
20-Sep-2010, 08:26 PM
I've always been a HUGE fan of Fred Rogers. No one, as far as I'm concerned, will ever compete with Mr. Rogers as far as children show personalities go. The man never had to pretend to be 'something' different other than getting himself into a sweater and walking shoes. That was enough of a transformation to reach out to kids (including me when I was little when I used to watch Fred Rogers followed up by Mr. "Happy Little Trees" Bob Ross. Bob Ross was another amazing children's personality/host). I have a tremendous amount of respect for Fred Rogers as he did some amazing stuff in his life and really touched peoples lives. I swear, as much as I don't want to admit this, I often find myself flipping channels and come across his show and just sit back and watch. Fred taught us that it was "okay to be you" and that really means something -- even now in today's time and age when we've all become so much older and jaded (and even if other people here make fun of me for stating it).

Another shocking confession to the folks here of HPotD, when I'm not here or working I often write poetry as a form of expression. I love literature and writing. Here is a poem I actually wrote in dedication to Mr. Rogers a few years back:

Ode to Mr. Rogers

1 May 2009

Grown adults dressing in yellow bird costumes,
Frightening purple dinosaurs,
And Jim Henson creations dancing with laughter,
With their puppeteers allowing.

But you never gave into all the hype,
Never considered reaching out to all us children as becoming “other”.
Your change was subtle, transferring to the sweater and the walking shoes,
Leaving the stuffy tie and jacket in the closet.

Mr. Rogers, you bid us to be your neighbor,
You offered your friendship to us,
Teaching us about the newspaper press down the road,
Letting us in on those conversations with Mr. McFeely,
Taking us on fascinating explorations across town,
And allowing us a visit to the Land of Make Believe,
As faithful subjects to King Friday XIII.

You reached out to us, not as a caricature,
But with a warm heart and a helping hand,
Raising us to be good neighbors to our loved ones,
To make a difference, to see the world a little brighter,
And I still cannot picture a trolley today without seeing your smile.

When everyone seems to have grown so cynical and jaded in our society,
When there is so much fear, confusion, difficulty, pain,
I think we can all take something from remembering your peaceful nature,
Your joyful expression that life is about kindness, compassion, love,
And that we can all try to stand closer together as neighbors,
As loved ones.

Thank you, Fred, for your charming singing voice,
Telling us that if we are ever alone or afraid, to just think of those we love,
And how those loved ones love us in turn.
Ode to you Mr. Rogers,
how we wish that you were still here to help guide us onward.

j.p.

darth los
20-Sep-2010, 08:39 PM
Lonney tunes.

Hannah Barbara.

Nuff said.

:cool:

Doc
20-Sep-2010, 11:06 PM
Tolerable? Well, imo:

Spongebob (Seasons 1-3 and The Movie)
Batman: The Animated Series
Superman: The Animated Series
The New Batman Adventures
Static Shock
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Loony Tunes
Thundercats
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Johnny Bravo
Power Puff Girls (Shut Up! It's decent kids show :shifty:)
Dexter's Labatory
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Phineas and Ferb (The ONLY good cartoon on Disney)
Chowder
The Real Ghostbusters (Seasons 1 and 2)
Ed, Edd, n Eddy
Codename Kids Next Door (despite, it's concept of rebelling against adults I think it's a good show)
Fairly Oddparents
Jimmy Neutron

Also if anime counts, I want to suggest Cowboy Bebop. Best anime evar! 26 episodes only, but worth a watch imo.

Mr. Clean
20-Sep-2010, 11:44 PM
Cowboy Bebop was pretty good.

I finally got to finish Full Metal Alchemist the other day. I just got have to find a verson of the movie not in Japanese.

Eyebiter
21-Sep-2010, 01:11 AM
Live Action
Captain Kangaroo
Mister Rogers Neighborhood
Land of the Lost
Ark II

Cartoons
Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
Thundarr the Barbarian
Flash Gordon
Underdog

clanglee
21-Sep-2010, 03:04 AM
My daughter used to love Dora, but I used it as nap time so that worked out. We both watched Spongebob and Avatar.

I wish Yo Gabba Gabba had been on when she was little!! That show looks awesome for a former pothead!!!

ProfessorChaos
21-Sep-2010, 03:21 AM
That show looks awesome for a former pothead!!!

whaddya mean, former? i got the impression you still blazed...speaking of which, i'm currently cutting back myself. the herb has kinda helped me with some stress/ptsd-type symptoms i've had (especially during my first couple of years back from sand-land), but these days, i'm slowing down on my usage quite a bit.

and on topic, my nephew LOVES sesame street, so about 1/2 the time i see him, we get to wach "sess" as he calls it.

my niece is a big spongebob and dora fan, those are both okay.

i think it's kinda sad, though, how kids get exposed to soooo much television and you can almost see the addiction to sitting before the tube starting before they're even 3 or 4 years old. i once dated a girl who grew up without cable and she was incredibly smart and clever. wonder if there's a correlation there. not knocking on parents who let their kids watch tv, i just think that when i get around to having kids i'm gonna try to keep that shit to a minimum.

bassman
21-Sep-2010, 12:49 PM
i think it's kinda sad, though, how kids get exposed to soooo much television and you can almost see the addiction to sitting before the tube starting before they're even 3 or 4 years old. i once dated a girl who grew up without cable and she was incredibly smart and clever. wonder if there's a correlation there. not knocking on parents who let their kids watch tv, i just think that when i get around to having kids i'm gonna try to keep that shit to a minimum.

That's how we handle it. She's only allowed so much TV during the day, after which we turn it off. Which sucks because that means I get less time to watch MY shows. :(

The good thing about some of these shows is that they also help teach....

ProfessorChaos
21-Sep-2010, 01:03 PM
yeah, the ones that have some educational value are better than the ones like the "max & ruby" (haven't heard/seen anything about that, but from what i read on this thread, i get the idea) that have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

that's good you guys limit that stuff for her. i've got a friend who's married and every time i go to hang, he's kids sitting in front of the tube, mouth agape, totally zoned out. makes me sad and kinda makes me wanna slap the little fella's parents around a bit and let them know they're doing a lack-luster job at raising their kid...it's not the tv's job to babysit (hypnotize), they as parents need to be more involved.

MoonSylver
21-Sep-2010, 01:24 PM
BUT....then are the other times. As you mentioned, I can't stand Max & Ruby. My wife once brought a funny point - Where the fuck are Max & Ruby's parents?!?:lol:

My wife & I wondered the same thing :lol:

Another one I hate is Dora the Explorer(do they think that rhymes?).

Brian Regan has a funny bit about that..."Where does that rhyme? Maybe in the Kennedy compound...'Put on Dorrah the Explorah!!!' " :lol: The bit about the Map song is funny too.

http://comedians.jokes.com/brian-regan/videos/brian-regan---dora-the-explorer

My youngest loves Dora. I'm meh on it, but eh, whatever.:|

She's also really into Yo Gabba Gabba. I really don't have much of a problem with this show as it gets her excited and moving around, but something about the host just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know what - I can't explain it. I just look at the guy and instantly think Pedophile.:lol: I dunno...

Gah...I HATE Yo Gabba Gabba. :mad: I know it's for really little kids, but it just seems so insultingly dumb. And you're right, that DJ Lance IS a right creepy fuck. :eek: That "Fresh Beats" can fuck right off too. For musical type shows I like to let the little one watch "Imagination Movers" on Disney. At least the music is decent & isn't as nerve gratingly insulting as the other aforementioned shows.

bassman
21-Sep-2010, 01:38 PM
http://comedians.jokes.com/brian-regan/videos/brian-regan---dora-the-explorer

:lol: Holy shit that's funny. I think i had seen that before. Good stuff.

I know some people don't like Kevin Smith, but his stand up about Dora is pretty funny too.

WicOCdOUWQo?fs=1&hl=en_US

BillyRay
21-Sep-2010, 02:16 PM
Grew up on the Wunnerful World of Sid and Marty Krofft:

bQnnZOJSlh0

eqB36FsglEE

GtERZW63jF8

Any wonder why I grew up to be a dope fiend/Doctor Who enthusiast?

clanglee
21-Sep-2010, 08:46 PM
whaddya mean, former? i got the impression you still blazed....

Nah man, not so much these days. I might still occasionally, but it is a rare event nowadays. I had some paranoia issues a while back and it never was the same for me after all of that.

bassman
21-Sep-2010, 09:13 PM
Nah man, not so much these days. I might still occasionally, but it is a rare event nowadays. I had some paranoia issues a while back and it never was the same for me after all of that.

Kids, right? Same thing happened to me. I'm too scared to have it in the house. Occasionally i'll partake on holidays and such, but it wasn't a regular thing once that offspring came 'round.

MoonSylver
21-Sep-2010, 10:42 PM

You're weren't paranoid. They really ARE out to get you.

http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com/uploads/paranoia.jpg

Besides, there are alternatives:

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/021506/booze-time.jpg