PDA

View Full Version : I learned something the other night

Arcades057
12-Jun-2006, 04:42 PM
I have a friend who is a liberal. Yes, it's true, I do associate with "you people" in my private life by choice. I feel bad calling her a liberal, as we actually have deep, meaningful conversations with each other, and with a liberal, as with a conservative, such conversations are impossible due to feelings on the one hand and religion and or morals on the other.

We were watching American History X (her choice, strangely enough) and something caught my ear and jogged my memory. I was a pretty nasty kid when I was younger (from about 14-19) and used to talk the same way Ed Norton's character did. Used to act out those things too sometimes. I wondered as I listened to him talk in the movie, did I feel any different with the passage of time? Now that I no longer try to get into at least one fight a week? Do I believe differently now that I call people of other races close friends?

I found that while I still believe strongly that there can never be equal rights while one side is trying to achieve more rights (ie afirmative action, gay marriage, amnesty to illegals), I do believe that those trying to gain more rights are doing so out of what they feel to be necessity. This was the major part of our conversation that night.

Deep in my heart I feel that people on my side are misunderstood and thought to be racists due to our beliefs. The belief we have (at least, those that I have) are quite simple: We believe that, barring any physical disability, any individual in this world has the ability to achieve the same success as any other. Regardless of poverty or social standing, irrespective of race or religion, ANYONE can become great. ANYONE can achieve. Those of the liberal persuasion seem to feel, as my friend does, that certain people will NEVER ammount to anything, and we must pay them to survive, otherwise natural selection, something inherently racist by nature she informed me, will weed them out. But if we're working our arses off to pay our bills and their bills, when will we, the providers, find time to procreate? Doesn't this mean that the majority of new children born into this world will be those of the "unable to perform," thus eventually dooming us to having this so-called helpless minority become the helpless majority?

To me, having been called every liberal buzzword in the book, I find the idea that someone will never amount to anything racist. To pat someone on the head and tell them "we'll take care of you, stupid darkie," is the epitome of ignorance. It seems all too often people on the left are more likely to lump individuals into the group, rather than inspecting each person on their own merits. This has lead to the "blame the system" mentality that is prevelant these days.

To those of you who have ever had a racist thought (and every last one of you has) ask yourself: Did I think that because I'm a member of the KKK or the Aryan Nations, and therefore a racist? Or did I think that because the situation that led to that question actually begged to answer that question? Having thoughts, negative or positive, about other races and religions is not some arcane show of ignorance; it's normal. All that's arcane or ignorant is how you go about answering those questions to yourself.

rightwing401
13-Jun-2006, 12:19 AM
Well Arc, that's a very interesting series of questions that you asked. And let me first say congratulations for you to have the courage to ask such things, as it is likely that you (probably me too) will recieve a firestorm in response to this.
The first problem with this is how one sees and defines racism and prejudice. In my experiences, I've learned that almost everyone sees these two things differently in one form or another. To some, simply opposing things such as affirmative action and legalization of illegals makes you an inherent bigot.
I suppose geography has a part to play into how people think. For instance, where I live, no matter how conservative or liberal you are, every white person in this region is in some way a little 'racist'. And again, this raises the question as to what exactly do you term as 'racist'? Going into an area where you know you are likely to get robbed, mugged, or even killed, and more than not the suspect will be black, thus you keep a warry eye on anyone that falls into the category of a suspicious look black man, does that make you a racist? Maybe a little, but trying not to be a racist doesn't necessarily mean that one should completely ignore common sense either.
I also have to agree with you on the 'blame system' mentality. To me, it doesn't help anyone, all it does is make a convienent excuse for people. People who have that 'blame the system' way of thinking will readily look blame others for why they fail, and not themselves. Ironically, I feel that this way of thinking actually festers racist sentements. If people are constantly taught that the 'system' as caused all of the wrongs they either have suffered or feel they have suffured, just who exactly are they going to blame? And how is this thinking going to make them react?
And like you said, it's all about how a person goes about answering these questions.

Arcades057
13-Jun-2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I'm expecting the close-minded idiotic reponses to this from people who don't think about what I said. The majority of people who'll post something negative about what I asked, Rightwing, are the same people who would say something negative about anything said regarding this subject. I think that if someone actually looks at what we wrote and thinks about it they can't find something worth bitching about. Then again, this is America...

Deadman_Deluxe
13-Jun-2006, 01:02 AM
That's quite a lengthy post ... not sure what it is about, but i guess you have some problems at the pizza place again?

Philly_SWAT
13-Jun-2006, 01:22 AM
This was a well thought-out, intelligent post Arcades. I would say about this quote from you
Yeah, I'm expecting the close-minded idiotic reponses to this from people who don't think about what I said. The majority of people who'll post something negative about what I asked, Rightwing, are the same people who would say something negative about anything said regarding this subject.I think that in assuming that anything "negative" said about what you have asked is close-minded, is in and of itself close-minded. I think part of having "deep, meaningful conversations with each other" as you did with your liberal friend, is accepting that others have different opinions than your own, and even though you feel you are correct does not automatically mean that they are incorrect, or close-minded. Two people who are very open-minded can have two totally different opinions on the same topic. It does not make either of them close-minded.

Arcades057
13-Jun-2006, 01:25 AM
Save it Philly, I know what you mean. All you had to do to see what I meant is look at DD's response to the thread.

When fools have nothing intelligent to add to a conversation they ignore the subject matter and resort to childish antics to get a rise.

DD, maybe you should try reading it. You just might learn something.

Philly_SWAT
13-Jun-2006, 01:34 AM
All you had to do to see what I meant is look at DD's response to the thread.
His post was made after mine.