PDA

View Full Version : Ideal safe house

flesheating
21-Sep-2010, 12:15 PM
What would you want in your safe house? And where would you want it to be?

AcesandEights
21-Sep-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't know....a re-purposed missile silo or other 'out to pasture' facility that was sold on public auction ages ago (the more time between sales the better, keeps it off more people's radar)? I also like those privately owned communities only accessible by airplane (there must be a term for them). Either one, way up the fuck north with enough long term foodstuffs, survival gear and modern equipment and alternative energy (wind turbines/sails would be great along with solar panels and batteries) to do some reclamation after the dust clears (and the dead rot).

MoonSylver
21-Sep-2010, 10:51 PM
I've always thought IF you were stuck in a city & IF it were close to other buildings, that an old school bank might be a good choice. Nice thick walls, designed to keep people out, only 1 way in ('course if they get in & you've got to way out yer fooked...). If you could access the roof & use it to get to other buildings you'd be good.

Then again, you've got something in there others might want ($$$). In a LD crisis maybe not right away, but someone might get around to making a try for it eventually...

AcesandEights
22-Sep-2010, 12:02 AM
I've always thought IF you were stuck in a city & IF it were close to other buildings, that an old school bank might be a good choice...Then again, you've got something in there others might want ($$$). In a LD crisis maybe not right away, but someone might get around to making a try for it eventually...

http://flickfeast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/land-of-the-dead.jpg

Publius
22-Sep-2010, 03:21 AM
I'll take my brother's place. On 65 acres in the mountains in Colorado.

Debbieangel
22-Sep-2010, 10:22 PM
I would stay in familiar surroundings, like at my house for as long as I could. I have said it before I would die in my own home. I probably would stay here and go out and forge when I needed to. I live in a small community with lots of woods around us, there are two cemeteries bordering us. but, as I have been told before I wouldn't have to worry about zombies coming out of the ground if in GAR's universe they can't dig through the ground and coffin/vault. So, unless the recently dead weren't buried and in coffin/vaults the cemetery would be least of my worries. I would have to worry about pilfering food and water from houses and stores. If worse came to worse I could live off the land after awhile. Lots of hunters around here I am sure guns and ammo wouldn't be too much of a problem. But, again you can't get to cocky in a situation like zombies. Safety first! Double tap defo!! lol

Jamn
03-Oct-2010, 04:15 AM
I agree with up north and the mountains. The fewer people the fewer zombies. Does everyone agree with zombies freezing? What about thawing out and continue to pursue prey? In any case it's easier to defend from a high position.

Mr.G
03-Oct-2010, 07:15 PM
Good question....maybe we are over thinking it and we should hole up in a graveyard. I think in GAR's universe only the dead above the ground come back. Get your shit and head to a big cemetery.

Publius
04-Oct-2010, 11:03 AM
Good question....maybe we are over thinking it and we should hole up in a graveyard. I think in GAR's universe only the dead above the ground come back. Get your shit and head to a big cemetery.

The question then is what you will do there.

Neil
04-Oct-2010, 11:12 AM
Playboy mansion?

Mr.G
04-Oct-2010, 06:42 PM
What would you do anywhere? Eventually all your stuff will either run out or break. I'm thinking a graveyard is the last place most living people would frequent.

AcesandEights
04-Oct-2010, 07:25 PM
What would you do anywhere? Eventually all your stuff will either run out or break. I'm thinking a graveyard is the last place most living people would frequent.

Obviously it depends on one's opinion of the viability of long term human survival.

acealive1
04-Oct-2010, 08:05 PM
my moms old house. super high windows. the lowest window is like 7 feet off the ground. or my old apartment i grew up in. two ways in and u gotta bust your ass to get to both. idk.......if i had to choose, maybe an old brick fire house? whoever said bank had the best idea. those things are sometimes made of solid stone.

acealive1
04-Oct-2010, 08:07 PM
I would stay in familiar surroundings, like at my house for as long as I could. I have said it before I would die in my own home. I probably would stay here and go out and forge when I needed to. I live in a small community with lots of woods around us, there are two cemeteries bordering us. but, as I have been told before I wouldn't have to worry about zombies coming out of the ground if in GAR's universe they can't dig through the ground and coffin/vault. So, unless the recently dead weren't buried and in coffin/vaults the cemetery would be least of my worries. I would have to worry about pilfering food and water from houses and stores. If worse came to worse I could live off the land after awhile. Lots of hunters around here I am sure guns and ammo wouldn't be too much of a problem. But, again you can't get to cocky in a situation like zombies. Safety first! Double tap defo!! lol

dont forget cardio! lol

Debbieangel
06-Oct-2010, 08:59 PM
I agree with whoever said going north,but, also if you live in a small community on a hill with woods all around sounds good to me. That is where I live,big enough to forge, small enough to survive me thinks! I really would stay where I am at the more I think of it the better it sounds to me. Sure I am thinking people here prob hold up here and possibly ban together I would hope!! The houses here are far enough apart that if someone got infected would be easy to stay away from them. Yeah, I have wayyyy too much time on my hands! lol

Debbieangel
06-Oct-2010, 09:00 PM
dont forget cardio! lol

ace ....don't forget....(can't remember exact quote) Becareful of bathrooms!!!

Alzombiehunter
09-Oct-2010, 04:59 PM
I think that instead of worrying about how stocked my safe house would be with the obvious stuff( ammo, food, barricades etc), I would worry about who is at my house. No problematic people who are going to fuck things up with their arguments and allow the living dead to come in as it happens in most zombie movies. I would probably allow up to 4 people only like in Dawn of the Dead.

acealive1
11-Oct-2010, 09:30 PM
ace ....don't forget....(can't remember exact quote) Becareful of bathrooms!!!

LOL definitely

Wyldwraith
14-Oct-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm still going with a Wal-Mart-style commercial distribution center. Easy to secure, sturdy construction, on any given day enough food/medicine/clothing/other high-priority supplies to last a few dozen people a long-ass time, and while SOME people will think to come loot the distribution center, there will be nowhere near as many that go after the grocery stores and get themselves shot, bludgeoned, trampled or eaten. Best of all, down here in Florida the major commercial distribution centers are among the VERY FEW buildings that are more than one story tall. On a horizon of single-story structures, you'd be amazed at how much you can see from a two story building with only maybe 3-4 other multi-story buildings in a 360-degree sightline from your vantage point.

About the only thing you'd need to get elsewhere would be the guns themselves, as Walmart still carries shotgun shells, the popular rifle cartridges and piles of .22 rimfire rounds. Some even still carry an admittedly VERY SMALL assortment of long guns. (Few shotguns, some 30/30s, maybe some .30-06s if you're VERY lucky). Mainly the big Super Wal-Marts are the ones that still retain this small selection, but I hear that within a couple years that'll be over too.

Still, you could do a lot worse than holing up in an easily-secured, extremely well-supplied, self-powering (until fuel for the backup generators runs out, or power consumption inside outstrips what the modest solar panel arrays common to almost all the black-topped multi-story buildings around here), structure. Not perfect, but it offers options most potential safehouses don't offer in similar varied abundance. A few men on the roof of the only two-story building for blocks (the distribution center), armed with rifles and a good supply of ammunition could inflict casualties sufficient to deter most potential looters & miscellaneous bad guys.

Just my .02

If I have to hole up somewhere anywhere near a city or large town, that would be my best bet. If others beat me to those places I would make for more rural territory, and do my best to fall off the radar of anyone I didn't trust with my life.

Andy
14-Oct-2010, 10:12 PM
Personally i dont think there is an ideal safehouse, everywhere has its negatives aswell its positives.

Id go for the loner/nomad life if a zompocalypse happened.

MoonSylver
14-Oct-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm still going with a Wal-Mart-style commercial distribution center....

You make a very good case. Only issue would probably be w/ any one who works there who was trapped there when it started or has no where else to go. They're probably not going to welcome you in...

But great post regardles of that nitpick. :thumbsup:

Wyldwraith
18-Oct-2010, 12:28 AM
Yea,
I thought about that. Was actually sort of what I was hinting at about needing to get your guns elsewhere first. I'm not so foolish I don't think SOMEONE will be in my desired safehouse, but they don't count as "someone" unless A) they welcome me with open arms or b) they represent a force sufficiently well-armed to deter me from taking the structure by force and giving them the choice between cohabitation, eviction or summary execution. I don't f*&k around when it comes to the safety of my friends and loved ones. If I have to imitate Khardis for an afternoon, so be it, my conscience can take the weight. Better than watching the people I care for devoured alive and have my last thought before I'm dragged down and devoured be "Damn, I shoulda double-tapped those bastards back at the Distribution Center."

Thank you for your kind words. Sorry to spoil it with my overt (if honest) admission of the capacity for premeditated murder in my heart, or, as I like to call it euphemistically "Proactive Self-Defense".

Debbieangel
18-Oct-2010, 12:38 AM
Personally i dont think there is an ideal safehouse, everywhere has its negatives aswell its positives.

Id go for the loner/nomad life if a zompocalypse happened.

Don't you think that would get awful lonely Andy? Who would have your back? You gotta sleep sometime!
I would have family and friends in my house or near by here! We would have to watch out for each other.

Wyldwraith
18-Oct-2010, 01:13 AM
Forgive em Debbie,
People so take for granted the fulfillment of our basic human need for contact with others of our own kind in this day and age that it's difficult for many of us, particularly those inclined more toward the "Loner mindset" like myself, to envision needing to take action to meet that need in addition to the other much more obvious necessities of sustaining life.

I mean, put it this way. Who would you rather be: A member of a nomadic armed convoy that may get wiped out any day by marauding killers or the ravenous undead, or all alone in a panic room with enough supplies of all kinds to last the length of your natural life, but have that panic room (impenetrable though it is) surrounded by tens of thousands of ghouls that never seem to rot into a non-functional state, who all seem to somehow "sense" you're in the (Ok, I'll be merciful) sound-proofed panic room, and thus never ever wander away, thus keeping you imprisoned and alone, for life?

See what I mean? Put in such black-and-white terms, few would choose to be the Panic Room inhabitant (although in their heart of hearts if actually confronted with such horrors, it might surprise you who would choose which fate), even though being in the nomadic convoy has no guarantee you won't die a horrible lingering death before the end of every day you travel. Freedom and contact with other humans could keep you sane even under such hazardous conditions, but almost no one but a disciplined monk or ascetic, with a lifetime of rigorous mental discipline and training to call upon, could last more than a month or two locked away in absolute solitude and without hope of escape or contact with another human being.

Crazy as it is, I suspect that many individuals would eventually open the Panic Room's door and let the zombies swarm in, just to feel a (sort of) human touch moments before being devoured. If not that, at least to end the monotony and the insanity-inducing solitude.

Man, I can be a real cheery guy, eh?

Debbieangel
18-Oct-2010, 03:27 AM
See that is what I was saying, humans do need human contact. Being in the 'panic room' alone would be a fate worse than death, maybe even worse than zombies devouring your body. When it comes down to it I guess we all would have to figure which would be the more desired way to die?
Wyld..yes very cheery...but this is the place for that kind of cheery, eh?

flesheating
18-Oct-2010, 11:31 AM
I think the biggest problem with walmart is the amount of people who have the exact same idea. You will be in there fighting with hundreds of other people for supplies and the glass doors on walmart will not be the best defense against the undead. And when there is a ton of people in one place you find yourself in an area that the undead see as a buffet.

I would say large stores are one of the last places I would like to find myself.

bassman
18-Oct-2010, 12:38 PM
Not to mention wal marts have that little buggy bay that is always completely open....

AcesandEights
18-Oct-2010, 01:53 PM
I think the biggest problem with walmart is the amount of people who have the exact same idea

I've been preaching from the same book for a while on this point, but people have their idealized version of the apocalypse that unfolds in their heads and cannot be swayed and the topic is ideal safe houses, so whatever.

Wyldwraith
18-Oct-2010, 02:16 PM
Heh,
I wouldn't go NEAR a large franchise store like Wal-Mart anytime after civil unrest has begun, let alone significant #'s of zombies on the street. Here's how you die if you do: You're in line with your mountainous pile of groceries/supplies jammed into your filled-to-capacity shopping cart, and a fight breaks out in front of you over the last of (insert desired commodity/supply item) between a couple of customers. The fight gets ugly, and the two of them crash into you and the three of you all go crashing to the ground.

Now, the Deputy Sheriffs arrive at that moment as you're simply pushing and shoving to get people the hell off of being on top of you, who's going to jail? Answer: All 3 of you, because Deputies do not decide guilt or innocence, that's for the judge. All he cares about is he saw you committing what looks to him like Battery (pushing someone), and now you're legally embroiled in the clusterfuck started by the other 2 assholes.

You're Dead. One way or another, if you get put in the back of that squad car you are DEAD. If its gone far enough along for their to be civil unrest in your area, you can bet your ass that one of 2 things is already happening. Those reasonably well-paid Judges are abandoning their jobs in droves, hopelessly clogging the system, or the Military is about to enforce either Disaster Zone procedures or Martial Law (depending on whether the Governor or the President pull the trigger first). Either way, say goodbye to due process for the people already sitting in jail when that happens.

At this point, the BEST you can hope for is that they quickly dump a large muscular infected male into the cell with you, so at least it will be over reasonably quick. Crazy as it sounds, being devoured alive by perhaps 1-2 zombies would be less painful/maddening than dying of thirst/hunger. Remember The Stand? I rest my case.

Let the morons get themselves killed like that, be smarter than that and either recognize whats going on earlier and stock up before things even BEGIN to get crazy in your area, or stick to getting what you need however you can get it, without getting entangled in government action.

Remember, if you have to kill a cop or soldier not to get taken into custody, there's a 99% chance he's already dead and just doesn't know it yet because of his profession. If you can kill them first and get away. Murder loses relevance as the system collapses, and Darwin's Edicts go back into effect, sad as that is.

MoonSylver
18-Oct-2010, 11:00 PM
I've been preaching from the same book for a while on this point, but people have their idealized version of the apocalypse that unfolds in their heads and cannot be swayed and the topic is ideal safe houses, so whatever.

You & me both. The problem w/ any great idea that you have in reference to common targets, is that a hundred other people all had the same "great" idea too. Now places like Wyld pointed out ( a distribution center), are gonna be further off the radar, thus less competiton, but you can still bet the folks that work there, locals that know the area, SOMEBODY is likely to have the same idea. A lot less, but still...

Wyldwraith
19-Oct-2010, 06:52 AM
Agreed,
The fact is that any well-supplied AND defensible real-estate is going to be at a premium under those kinds of conditions. It is an absolute certainty that unless you happen to have somehow gotten inside info on what's happening LONG BEFORE it hits any form of media and the law enforcement groups radar (all but impossible), you WILL be in conflict with others for your desired safehouse. The "Cooper Mentality" should be what you EXPECT and plan to deal with, keeping in mind that there may be a ton of Coopers in any given structure, and that all it really takes is one persuasive Cooper-type to turn their entire group into Cooper-ites.

The long and the short of it, it's unrealistic to believe that there won't be a need to shed human blood in the acquiring of a prime safehouse. If you aren't willing to kill as many human beings as NECESSARY (NOT EXPEDIENT, **NECESSARY**) to ensure the safety and other needs of the people you're responsible for, either cede leadership to someone who is, or just shoot them all in the head now and save them the pain and terror they'll be facing when the zombies or a rape-gang breaches the lame-ass no-supply-having structure which is all you could get without a conflict.

The others are right. Any idea you have will be had by at least a few others in your area, and likely MANY others. In addition to needing to be able to pull the trigger when necessary to get what you need, you absolutely must possess the ability to discern when you are better off walking away and trying somewhere else, instead of pushing it and getting yourself, family/friends/loved ones killed in a hopeless to very high-risk/low-chance of victory/success without major casualties. Kenny Rogers said it well when he sang "You gotta know when to hold em, gotta know when to fold em...gotten know when to walk away, and know when to RUN."

I mean put it this way. Which would you rather have, your absolute ideal safehouse and two loved ones killed and one friend severely injured in the fight with the previous well-armed and in defensible positions tenants, or a very good but not ideal safehouse with only minor injuries to one of your people when you displaced a couple families that had one gun, a couple of knives and bats between all 8 of them, versus you and your 4-8 people all being well-armed?

Only an idiot would sacrifice 25-50% of his trusted manpower over real-estate that you will NOT be able to hold against the NEXT wave of would-be occupants much like your group. Say you started with 6 people, four of which have any significant capacity for combat, even if we're only talking about unskilled civilian common-sense weapon-use, like swinging a bat. If you lose 2 of your 6, with a 3rd severely injured, the chances are you will lose a minimum of 2, possibly 3 of your combatants. Leaving you with one healthy combatant, one who is now a major liability who may die, reanimate and become a sudden mortal danger to the group, and 2-3 defenseless dependents. In such a scenario, it would quite likely one take two moderately skilled but well-armed combatants to take your hard-won shelter, or perhaps even only 1 extremely well-trained combatant. (A SWAT veteran, former Special Forces of some branch member, or even just a career criminal).

The necessities in surviving a hypothetical zombie apocalypse are much the same as those of winning a war. Maintain your information/intelligence-gathering capacity while controlling/restricting the flow of information to adversaries/potential adversaries. Secure your supply lines/supply cache, while remaining watchful for opportunities to appropriate or destroy your adversaries supplies. Fight only battles that you absolutely must, or those battles you are 100% certain you can turn into a one-sided slaughter of your enemies. Limit attrition by minding the details and maintaining efficiency in as many of your group's activities as feasible, etc etc etc.

See what I mean? The Art of War can be just as useful a resource as The Anarchist's Cookbook or any of the various Zombie Survival-type guides. Lastly, premium combatants will be the rarest of all valuable commodities during the collapse of society. Stable combatants that fit this bill even more so. If you get a chance to secure the loyalties of an Ex-Navy Seal who happens to be gay to help your all-male/all-heterosexual group, learn to suck dick if that's what it takes to secure his loyalties.

Disgusting and Vile is better than horrible agonizing death, yes? The prosecution rests.

Nephilim
25-Oct-2010, 08:54 PM
Wallymart would be the best, but the hardware stores would have all the stuff to make crud with to KILL the ZOMBIES!

paranoid101
25-Oct-2010, 09:42 PM
Under the sea in a Pineapple shaped house

MoonSylver
25-Oct-2010, 10:18 PM
Under the sea in a Pineapple shaped house

Sorry, you're not even safe there:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/277/c/9/Zombie_Spongebob_by_hotdiggedydemon.png

bassman
25-Oct-2010, 10:22 PM
http://3.media.tumblr.com/odOO2eRrLmlcizq0hrdYZJauo1_400.jpg

You've got to have "Imagination". :lol:

I love that show...

flesheating
27-Oct-2010, 12:31 PM
Zombie Spongbob? I will have to warn my niece to watch out for him this Sunday :)