PDA

View Full Version : Xbox and thumb drives

Mr. Clean
23-Sep-2010, 02:27 AM
Anyone else put movies/tv shows on a USB drive and watch then VIA Xbox?

P.S.Wasn't sure where to put this thread btw...Figured it would fit in General

clanglee
23-Sep-2010, 02:58 AM
never even thought about that. . .does that work? cool!

Mr. Clean
23-Sep-2010, 03:07 AM
If you have files on your pc...they may have to be converted in order to play on your xbox.

Look up a program called Videora Xbox 360 Converter.

If your a fan of Torrents. You can now stop watching them on your pc :D

Danny
23-Sep-2010, 03:22 AM
no need, stream straight form my mac to my ps3.

physical media, the crazy things older generations did huh? :lol:

Mr. Clean
23-Sep-2010, 03:29 AM
I linked my Xbox to my PC with Windows Media Center but I still have to convert my files so I just put them on a thumb drives so there is no lagging while my xbox tries to communicate with my pc.

Danny
23-Sep-2010, 04:04 AM
why on earth would you need to convert them? hell, probably some stupid drm thing or something knowing microsoft. i've never used mine for anything other than games myself. my ps3 can stream anything though, .mp4 .avi .mkv .ogm .dixv .m45 and way more. No conversion required. just open PS3 MEdia Server on my imac, my ps3 connects to it and then i can browse the contents of my HDDs connected to my mac seamlessly with nothing else required.

MikePizzoff
23-Sep-2010, 09:54 AM
why on earth would you need to convert them? hell, probably some stupid drm thing or something knowing microsoft. i've never used mine for anything other than games myself. my ps3 can stream anything though, .mp4 .avi .mkv .ogm .dixv .m45 and way more. No conversion required. just open PS3 MEdia Server on my imac, my ps3 connects to it and then i can browse the contents of my HDDs connected to my mac seamlessly with nothing else required.

That's pretty sick; I didn't know the PS3 did that.

I've got an HDMI cable that I connect my Mac to my TV with, so watching stuff is a cinch.

LoSTBoY
23-Sep-2010, 12:34 PM
Look up Tversity (http://tversity.com/)

Play all your videos and music from your PC, like Windows Media Centre but covers a lot more codecs and file types.

krakenslayer
23-Sep-2010, 08:28 PM
I suspect that the Xbox and the PS3 cannot natively decode all those formats, and it's probably the software at the PC/Mac end that does all the work before sending the decoded data to the console. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'd assume, because otherwise how would the console keep up with all the available video codecs? Firmware updates are a pain in the ass as it is (or so I hear, as I don't own either machine).

bassman
23-Sep-2010, 09:23 PM
I can't even figure out how to update one of my Blu Ray players without an internet connection...

Danny
24-Sep-2010, 07:51 AM
I can't even figure out how to update one of my Blu Ray players without an internet connection...

Wow. You are officially the old guy trying to work a microwave with a tv remote up in this bitch :lol:

bassman
24-Sep-2010, 12:39 PM
:lol:

I know i'm supposed to be able to do it by disc or thumb drive, but it never seems to work.

AcesandEights
24-Sep-2010, 02:39 PM
Wow. You are officially the old guy trying to work a microwave with a tv remote up in this bitch :lol:

Is it worse that I don't even know what Bassman is trying to do or talking about?

Some day you'll know what it feels like Hellsing...you'll probably be all Bones-like in the future, not wanting to use the transporter and insisting you be shuttled to and from the planet's surface.

clanglee
26-Sep-2010, 06:05 AM
I know it's sacralige to use the new Trek but. . . . . http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww69/elmuzzerino/Dr-McCoy.jpg

Danny
26-Sep-2010, 06:25 AM
I know it's sacralige to use the new Trek but. . . . . http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww69/elmuzzerino/Dr-McCoy.jpg

The hell is wrong with new trek.

bassman
26-Sep-2010, 02:29 PM

Word. The new Trek rocks. Anyone that says differently is just in denial. :elol:

Danny
26-Sep-2010, 03:41 PM
Word. The new Trek rocks. Anyone that says differently is just in denial. :elol:

fukken A.

CoinReturn
26-Sep-2010, 04:00 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you don't need Media Center on your PC to stream content; just drop videos/folders into your "My Videos" folder and configure sharing options with the Xbox through Windows Media Player. MP4, AVI, WMV, etc. are all covered. It should play everything except .H264 content.

Just open up WMP, go to Library, Media Sharing, and click "allow" under your Xbox 360. You can set up all your folder options there, as well.

Danny
26-Sep-2010, 04:05 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you don't need Media Center on your PC to stream content; just drop videos/folders into your "My Videos" folder and configure sharing options with the Xbox through Windows Media Player. MP4, AVI, WMV, etc. are all covered. It should play everything except .H264 content.

Just open up WMP, go to Library, Media Sharing, and click "allow" under your Xbox 360. You can set up all your folder options there, as well.

see there ya go, theres no need for a rigmarole with console streaming, it takes like 8 clicks at most to stream anything from your pc/mac to your xbox/ps3

clanglee
27-Sep-2010, 01:49 AM

Nothing at all, I loved it. . .but I would prefer to use the real Bones.