PDA

View Full Version : Netflix CEO - Americans are Self Absorbed - Comment during NETFLIX.CA Launch party

DjfunkmasterG
24-Sep-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if1d3902d12574ec222961f1deec0fd2b

AcesandEights
24-Sep-2010, 02:00 PM
In the generalized context of what he's saying it's true.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Sep-2010, 02:01 PM
True, but then he went on to make an apology on his NETFLIX Blog and it pissed off people even more beause he is trying to play it off as a joke.

Purge
24-Sep-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh, wonderful. I work for them. I hope this doesn't hurt business.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Sep-2010, 02:22 PM
Oh, wonderful. I work for them. I hope this doesn't hurt business.

Here is the blog: http://blog.netflix.com/2010/09/apologies.html

darth los
24-Sep-2010, 04:35 PM
People trash politicians left and right for not being truthful and forthcoming. This is the reason why.

Americans don't want to hear the truth. They want to hear that they're awesome and flawless and that despite their wasteful and selfish ways everything is going to be alright.

:cool:

bassman
24-Sep-2010, 04:41 PM
Americans don't want to hear the truth. They want to hear that they're awesome and flawless and that despite their wasteful and selfish ways everything is going to be alright.

If you don't agree with us, you must be a terrorist. :lol:

People are too fucking sensitive....

darth los
24-Sep-2010, 04:45 PM
If you don't agree with us, you must be a terrorist. :lol:

People are too fucking sensitive....

Oh that's all we heard during the bush years.

Criticizing the way Americans do things is unpatriotic. Dude, everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

When we kill innocent civillians in our wars it's justified because we're the "good guys" and God is on our side., etc. When others do it, they are they axis of evil and their regimes must be overthrown at any cost! :duh:

Any wonder why the radical muslims feel the same about us?

I always say, beware of those for whom God hates all the same people they do.

soulsyfn
24-Sep-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh that's all we heard during the bush years.

Criticizing the way Americans do things is unpatriotic. Dude, everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

When we kill innocent civillians in our wars it's justified because we're the "good guys" and God is on our side., etc. When others do it, they are they axis of evil and their regimes must be overthrown at any cost! :duh:

Any wonder why the radical muslims feel the same about us?

::Gets Ready for the battle that will ensue... Waits for Wyld to appear...::

bassman
24-Sep-2010, 04:56 PM
:lol:

Only on HPotD can a thread about renting movies fall into a childish "i'm right and you're wrong" political argument.

darth los
24-Sep-2010, 04:56 PM
::Gets Ready for the battle that will ensue... Waits for Wyld to appear...::

You forgot to don the flame retardant suit!

So let's see. I criticize america and will subsequently catch shit for it!?!

I never saw that coming.

Atleast it will validate my post. :D

DjfunkmasterG
24-Sep-2010, 05:05 PM
Ok, back on TOPIC....

any bets on ho wmany people left NETFLIX over this and went over to Blockbuster?

darth los
24-Sep-2010, 05:13 PM
:lol:

Only on HPotD can a thread about renting movies fall into a childish "i'm right and you're wrong" political argument.

I did no such thing. Merely made an observation. Now as for the responses it will get...

JDFP
24-Sep-2010, 05:16 PM
People trash politicians left and right for not being truthful and forthcoming. This is the reason why.

As far as I'm concerned Reed Hastings can live in a van down the river and refuse to speak any language other than Klingon with an interpretor present. I could care less. I'm interested in the service his company provides and he's not his company but only a cog in the wheel of it. He's successful and has proven the American dream by becoming a success through a good business model -- good for him. I respect and value that. It doesn't mean he's not any less human (or crazy) than you or me and doesn't put his foot in his mouth any less than the rest of us. The difference is when he does it instead of saying: "Oops, shouldn't have said that" he has to make a public statement regarding it and people take it more seriously because apparently money means that someone's opinion is more valuable and important and he/she is more responsible for their saying stupid things. Just silly.

And yes, his statement may be true (to an extremely oversimplistic degree), but it's a bit uncouth to publicly oust anyone like that (especially all Americans grouped together) in such a way. I know I wouldn't like my manager to come out here at work and yell at me and call me a dumb-ass because of something I've done in front of everyone. You have to treat "public perception" like children. If you treat people like trash they are going to act like trash and believe they are trash. If you treat people like they have value then they'll show the fruit of their value. To each their own, but I'd certainly prefer great Reagan's speeches on the greatness of the American spirit and enduring American people over a Jimmy Carter malaise/'Crisis of Confidence' "What's wrong with you people?" speech any day of the week. That's just me though.

j.p.

bassman
24-Sep-2010, 05:58 PM
I did no such thing. Merely made an observation. Now as for the responses it will get...

That wasn't directed at you. It was just a general statement about how things usually go down around this place. People love to push their political views onto others. And if you don't agree with them? Well fuck you, you're wrong! :lol:

Tricky
24-Sep-2010, 06:04 PM
Shut up & eat your god damned freedom fries y'all :p

AcesandEights
24-Sep-2010, 06:25 PM
Shut up & eat your god damned freedom fries y'all :p

I already had mine with lunch :D

darth los
24-Sep-2010, 07:06 PM
That wasn't directed at you. It was just a general statement about how things usually go down around this place. People love to push their political views onto others. And if you don't agree with them? Well fuck you, you're wrong! :lol:

There's a cool saying I saw on a T-shirt that read:

"I'd love to agree with you but then we'd BOTH be wrong."

LMFAO! :lol:

blind2d
24-Sep-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey.. that's funny!

MikePizzoff
24-Sep-2010, 08:48 PM
Truthfully, I couldn't care less that he called Americans self-absorbed because I actually agree with him.

One's personal beliefs should not reflect the kind of business they receive. Well, to an extent, of course. Something like this is so "small fries" if you ask me, that it'd be ridiculous for some people to actually leave Netflix over it. Although, I'm sure there are at least a few "Murricans" canceling their subscriptions.

MoonSylver
24-Sep-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if1d3902d12574ec222961f1deec0fd2b

I'm sorry, what were you saying? It wasn't about me, so I really wasn't paying attention...:bored:

Americans don't want to hear the truth. They want to hear that they're awesome and flawless

You're right. Nobody should be telling all American's that. Just me. Because I'm awesome. And flawless.:cool:

This one is easy. God hates us all equally.;)

People love to push their political views onto others. And if you don't agree with them? Well fuck you, you're wrong! :lol:

That's impossible, because I'm always right. I once thought I was mistaken, but I was wrong.:D

:lol: :nana: :moon: :fin:

Danny
24-Sep-2010, 10:27 PM
anybody read the article?

i'd say how did this get got be a big deal but hey, americans and the internet is rarely a good mix.

OH SHIT SON, NOW I MUST HATE AMERICA AND THEREFORE FREEDOM AND KITTENS AND APPLE PIE :rolleyes:

seriously, he is comparing the american and canadian markets in this conversation this is totally stupid when there are so many actual big things to deal with in the world. i mean this guy is a video rental dude, these are the supposed 'extreme political opinions' OF A GUY WHO RENTS BLOODY DVD'S!, WHO GIVES A FUCK?

DjfunkmasterG
25-Sep-2010, 03:45 AM
anybody read the article?

i'd say how did this get got be a big deal but hey, americans and the internet is rarely a good mix.

OH SHIT SON, NOW I MUST HATE AMERICA AND THEREFORE FREEDOM AND KITTENS AND APPLE PIE :rolleyes:

seriously, he is comparing the american and canadian markets in this conversation this is totally stupid when there are so many actual big things to deal with in the world. i mean this guy is a video rental dude, these are the supposed 'extreme political opinions' OF A GUY WHO RENTS BLOODY DVD'S!, WHO GIVES A FUCK?

Apparently a majority of the american public who shells out money in a recession for a service.

While the comment is more or less true it shouldn't have been made. Remember, although we are self absorbed we get pissed when people insult us... just as I sure if some CEO of a company called all brits LIMEY drunks who are nothing but chavs would be offending to you and your country men.

You can think it all you want, but it is better to not say if it, if even in jest, not everyone will take it that way.

Mr. Clean
25-Sep-2010, 04:26 AM

Isn't that the truth. This is the reason my blood pressure goes up when I try and watch the news.

You forgot to don the flame retardant suit!

So let's see. I criticize america and will subsequently catch shit for it!?!

I never saw that coming.

Atleast it will validate my post. :D

The majority of your points of view are sound but I don't agree with your view of innocents getting killed and us not catching shit over it.

Also, a terrorist claims navy seals roughed him up so the US sets up a trial for the seals?

Pretty Lame...:|

Danny
25-Sep-2010, 01:01 PM
just as I sure if some CEO of a company called all brits LIMEY drunks who are nothing but chavs would be offending to you and your country men.

You can think it all you want, but it is better to not say if it, if even in jest, not everyone will take it that way.

No we wouldn't, if we even took the time to notice we would go "well that is incorrect" and move on. Because this is a guy who hawks dvd's his opinion on peoples temperaments is irrelevant and pointless and it is supremely childish and arrogant and, unfortunately, american, in this day and age do dive on every thing every person says like a school of rabid piranha sensing blood in the water.
Thats not an insult, thats just one of the modern american peoples greatest flaws, going beyond some blend of patriotism and "pc but nothing actually to do with pc" fake smiles with knives behind there backs and the sense of entitlement where not only is anything negative a direct freedom hating insult, but something to be pounced upon and its speaker denounced as a heretic for a string of a few words which really have very little meaning or impact but thats just your nature nowadays. just as ours is to complain far too much about how bad we have it when we really dont yours is to prefer to only accept 'big games and touchdowns instead of small victories' and so blow any possible negative reactions just as equally out of the water and make an unnecessarily big deal over it.
Like i said,not an insult, just your nature. What you find insulting and scandalous us people from other countries at most shrug it off and just view the overly negative response with unsurprised reactions of another culture thats similar to ours, but in this case very different.