PDA

View Full Version : The Social Network....really?

ProfessorChaos
24-Sep-2010, 10:39 PM
anybody actually willing to pay to watch a dramatization of the creation of facebook?:bored:

facebook is about the gayest fucking thing on earth, did they really need to make a movie about how it got started? i seriously hope this film bombs at the box office. the very thought of going to see this movie is about enough to put me to sleep.

AcesandEights
24-Sep-2010, 10:43 PM
Great director, decent cast and an interesting story...can I watch some stuff that doesn't involve zombies or explosions, please?

ProfessorChaos
24-Sep-2010, 10:48 PM
bah, screw you and your optimism, doug.

i appreciate a good story, cast, director, etc. but this just seems like a dull, dull, dull movie. and a pointless one, at that.

AcesandEights
24-Sep-2010, 10:52 PM
bah, screw you and your optimism, doug.

i appreciate a good story, cast, director, etc. but this just seems like a dull, dull, dull movie. and a pointless one, at that.

:lol: I agree it could be dull, but I think the subject matter is fascinating and could lead to a great film...but I admit that's a lot reliant on coulds and maybes. I'm still interested in the project.

bassman
25-Sep-2010, 12:10 AM
It COULD be dull but with Fincher at the helm, I'm definitely down for it.

Reviews coming out so far suggest that it's one of the best movies of the year...

Danny
25-Sep-2010, 12:36 AM
the premise is bad and we should feel bad.

bassman
25-Sep-2010, 02:19 AM
You know what else would be horrible? A movie about the guy that wrote American Spledor. I mean....who wants to watch a movie about a guy drawing comics? PSSSST WTF?

Or better yet, A movie about Andy Kaufman's career? Who wants to watch a story with a guy doing standup and tv night after night? What a friggin waste. We know the whole story!!!

:shifty:

Danny
25-Sep-2010, 02:24 AM
You know what else would be horrible? A movie about the guy that wrote American Spledor. I mean....who wants to watch a movie about a guy drawing comics? PSSSST WTF?

Or better yet, A movie about Andy Kaufman's career? Who wants to watch a story with a guy doing standup and tv night after night? What a friggin waste. We know the whole story!!!

:shifty:

This is different, almost in a meta sense. Facebook is the in thing now and this is to make money off that, if it was 5 years ago it would be myspace. This isn't going to be some insight on the human condition, or a an old mans thoughtful monologue that leaves you thinking about the nature of things when its done.
It's going to be some sad mix of hackers, dawsons creek, human traffic and mtv post 2005 to try and be "arty and edgy and grimdark" to leech off something that "the kids like a lot" and will be nothing but known names and product placement you can bloody mark me on it. :rolleyes:

bassman
25-Sep-2010, 02:41 AM
Fair enough. Fincher is the kind of guy to grab a quick buck and catch the latest fad. He was so thrilled to have his name on Alien 3 once te studio took it over. He knew it would make money and was dying to get a slice of that pie.

Look....All i'm saying is that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Yeah, Facebook is fun to have a laugh at and the premise sounds like shit, but you never know what's packaged within the story. Many stories sound like shit with a simple description, but turn out being fantastic with the proper direction. Look at Forest Gump. Although fictional, many people thought it would fail miserably because it's a story about a "retard" passing through select moments in recorded history. We all know how that turned out.

Just because we dislike Facebook doesn't mean we should hate a story surrounding it's creation. It could be a great film. And judging from the trailer and reviews, it looks like it's going to be a good 'en.

MoonSylver
25-Sep-2010, 03:35 AM
Fair enough. Fincher is the kind of guy to grab a quick buck and catch the latest fad. He was so thrilled to have his name on Alien 3 once te studio took it over. He knew it would make money and was dying to get a slice of that pie.

http://www.pure-essence.net/stuff/geekyTshirts/sarcasm.jpg

Neil
25-Sep-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm going to see it...

MinionZombie
25-Sep-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm going to see it...

As will I.

I've also been hearing "it's not Facebook: The Movie" either ... seems to be more about an examination of entrepeneurialism ... a kind of "rise of" story, if you will ... and being that it's Fincher, I'm DEFINITELY seeing it goddamnit. Some of my friends aren't so sure - but they're thinking along the lines of Facebook: The Movie, but again I've heard that it isn't that - nor would it be really, when you think about it ... it's frickin' David Fincher!

I too have also heard that some people are calling it as one of the best of the year ... now I'm really intrigued.

blind2d
25-Sep-2010, 01:37 PM
While it IS Fincher, and the reviews HAVE been mostly good/positive, I still can't find myself caring... at all... somewhat interesting idea, perhaps, but... yeah... I'm also kind of tired of seeing flicks that star good-lookin' youngsters. It's like, "get off my lawn!"
But you know what DOES look really cool? Yeah, me neither...

bassman
25-Sep-2010, 01:39 PM
Does the zombieland/adventureland kid look good though? Seems like more of a dork to me...