PDA

View Full Version : Forum Technocrati: Which Graphics Editor to Use?

AcesandEights
25-Sep-2010, 06:51 PM
Can anyone suggest a good graphics editor with a learning curve I won't break my neck on?

I was thinking GIMP, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP) but just knew people here could give me good advice on this. It's for some pretty basic hobby use for the most part (manipulating photos with effects, possibly pulling PDFs apart and altering map files and making my own simple map images, antiquing some images etc.).

DubiousComforts
26-Sep-2010, 03:18 AM
I've only ever used Photoshop and have no experience with GIMP, but would suggest that as long as it allows working with layers and saving to an uncompressed file format, then it's worth trying, especially if it's free.

Danny
26-Sep-2010, 03:50 AM
Photoshop dude, why would you use anything else?

DubiousComforts
27-Sep-2010, 06:41 PM
Photoshop dude, why would you use anything else?

I'm just guessing but maybe because of the cost?

LouCipherr
27-Sep-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm a huge fan of photoshop, which I would suggest using - however, I have messed with GIMP before, and if you're looking for a free alternative to photoshop and editing/working with layers, it's the one to use.

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2010, 03:58 PM
I just wanted to circle back and thanks you guys for your advice. Working with layers was definitely important to me and price is, unfortunately, a factor for me over the this winter, so I opted for GIMP. I've been screwing around with it the last week or so off and on and have definitely enjoyed its capabilities.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you.

LouCipherr
07-Oct-2010, 04:13 PM
:thumbsup:

I think the only reason why I don't use GIMP is because I do have Photoshop CS3 available to me - otherwise, I'd be right on that bandwagon. :D

Glad it's workin' out for ya Aces. ;)

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I had to go the low cost/free route, as I just have too many things I'm saving up for this Fall and Winter.

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2010, 06:32 PM
GIMP eh? Free eh? *intrigued*

Sounds interesting as on occasion I do the odd bit of this and that with graphics, but only simple stuff and not very often - but it's nice to have something available to you. What's the official site? And don't say "Google", because with a name like "Gimp" I could stumble into a million examples of god knows what. Sometimes it's nice to get information from other humans beings once in a while, you know? :D

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2010, 06:56 PM
GIMP eh? Free eh? *intrigued*

Sounds interesting as on occasion I do the odd bit of this and that with graphics, but only simple stuff and not very often - but it's nice to have something available to you. What's the official site? And don't say "Google", because with a name like "Gimp" I could stumble into a million examples of god knows what. Sometimes it's nice to get information from other humans beings once in a while, you know? :D

MZ, search "GIMP (software)" on wikipedia.org and then look at the bottom for their "Outside Links" section. Just download from one of their recommended links when you get to the official site and make sure you scan it first. I didn't have trouble, but it's always best.

LouCipherr
07-Oct-2010, 08:16 PM
Or you can just Clickey right here (http://www.gimp.org/). :D

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2010, 08:18 PM
Or you can just Clickey right here (http://www.gimp.org/). :D

:lol: I somehow don't trust this link, Lou :lol: Maybe I'll click it when I get home from work :p

MinionZombie
08-Oct-2010, 10:53 AM
Ta for the tip Aces ... and Lou - I don't trust you. :shifty::p

LouCipherr
08-Oct-2010, 12:45 PM
:lol: I somehow don't trust this link, Lou :lol: Maybe I'll click it when I get home from work :p

Ta for the tip Aces ... and Lou - I don't trust you. :shifty::p

Well now, please allow me to give you both "a six degrees of kevin bacon" moment and say.... "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU!" :lol: :lol: :p :D

MinionZombie
08-Oct-2010, 02:39 PM
lol, although in the end that was the correct web address ... haven't installed it yet, but I downloaded it.

But well, when you're dealing with a software titled GIMP, anything could go wrong. :shifty:

LouCipherr
08-Oct-2010, 02:54 PM
lol, although in the end that was the correct web address ... haven't installed it yet, but I downloaded it.

But well, when you're dealing with a software titled GIMP, anything could go wrong. :shifty:

:D

You two need to have a bit more faith in your Brother Lou. Sure, I'm a dork of maximum proportions (as well as other things - see my sig), and yes, I take my username after the Dark One himself, but do you really think I'd steer you guys wrong? :shifty:

:lol: