PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake: The Writer trailer (stay out mz) :p

Danny
25-Sep-2010, 07:45 PM
So to ensure a lack of baaw'ing heres the trailer in a separate thread :lol:

0tD1RKmRSE0

Due october 12th as part of the months halloween festivities, totally called that. Looks more story and puzzle heavy and thats a totally good thing. wonder if its harder than the last because the signal was purposely much harder than the main game.

Whatever it is i am excited to see the end of wakes nightmare and the set up for alan wake season 2. Because lets face it, they arent going to make this a stand alone game and end it on some dlc are they?:skull:

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll just poke my head in briefly - it is about Alan Wake afterall - that looks pretty darn cool, I really dig the puzzle-solving look of what's on offer there, all that literal word-play stuff.

I'll probably never get to play either of the DLCs, unless they one-day get released on PC along with the main game (and providing my Quad Core gets comprehensively fixed *fingers crossed) ... or if they do do Alan Wake 2 and include the DLCs on that disc, or on a separate disc if they fancied it.

Interesting that you say they made The Signal "much harder" ... did they still fail to include a Casual option for those that would prefer it for their own personal gaming style? :shifty: ... :p

Good idea to make a separate thread, otherwise they become unwieldy behemoths, and then people can choose to get involved or not in certain parts of discussion about certains parts of something much larger.

Danny
26-Sep-2010, 12:56 PM
Interesting that you say they made The Signal "much harder" ... did they still fail to include a Casual option for those that would prefer it for their own personal gaming style? :shifty: ... :p

yes its MUCH harder. theres nothing for you in this dlc, this is a nightmare thread for nightmare people we want no trouble here, leave before i set tubbs on you!

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2010, 05:56 PM
Just a quip amidst the general "I like" related comments regarding The Writer. ;)

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 04:41 PM
In most cases I try out the games hardest difficulty setting first and see how how it goes. If it's insanely hard like halo on legendary I'll take a pass until I can get my skill up to par at a lesser difficulty.

But as for the Dlc, definitely looking forward to it as AW is one of my avorite games. Perhaps the puzzle is a prelude for what the sequel has in store. One thing is for sure. They sequel can't be like the first game. They done that formula to death.

:cool:

Danny
28-Sep-2010, 05:02 PM
In most cases I try out the games hardest difficulty setting first and see how how it goes. If it's insanely hard like halo on legendary I'll take a pass until I can get my skill up to par at a lesser difficulty.

But as for the Dlc, definitely looking forward to it as AW is one of my avorite games. Perhaps the puzzle is a prelude for what the sequel has in store. One thing is for sure. They sequel can't be like the first game. They done that formula to death.

i dunno, max payne 2 was more of the same and the story carried it, i reckon it can be done by them again.

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 05:49 PM
i dunno, max payne 2 was more of the same and the story carried it, i reckon it can be done by them again.

Let me clarify. It just seemed as if no matter what scenario we were placed in it seemed as if the forrest/ flash shoot combo was always the default. I'd like a tad more variety without fucking up what made the first game great.

That's the major challenge for devs i guess.

And for God's sake no multiplayer!

I think we all saw what effect that had between RE 4 And RE 5. :dead:

CooperWasRight
12-Oct-2010, 01:00 PM
The writer came out a few hours ago..Playing now.

Danny
12-Oct-2010, 01:19 PM
i have yet to get it. mostly because i need to go put the dough in the bank but also because i need to pay another 40 of daylight robbery to ms for a years gold and get the sacrifice too.

CooperWasRight
12-Oct-2010, 02:32 PM
Im disappointed in the ending... I feel like it kind of cop'd out the whole adding story and continuity through dlc.

darth los
12-Oct-2010, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately dlc almost never seems to live up to the original game.

Haven't played it yet though. Downloaded it this morning and tackling it tonight.

Danny
12-Oct-2010, 06:45 PM
Im disappointed in the ending... I feel like it kind of cop'd out the whole adding story and continuity through dlc.

Its never really meant to add anything major, because then what about the people like Nick who can't get it? he buys Alan Wake season 2 only its already the 3 episode after the last one he beat? he would have no idea what the fucks going on and this is paraphrasing exactly why remedy aimed to give us more game, a sort of deleted scenes extra little portion to give us some more action and show us a bit more of the inside of the dark presence but never do anything more when they are busy working on the hard fiction of season 2.

CooperWasRight
12-Oct-2010, 09:51 PM
What ever... It all becomes null and void and pointless at the end... And your argument sounds good at first but then apply that logic to a sequel... What about those who don't have the money or a box to buy the first game... It's a cop out.

Danny
12-Oct-2010, 09:56 PM
What ever... It all becomes null and void and pointless at the end... And your argument sounds good at first but then apply that logic to a sequel... What about those who don't have the money or a box to buy the first game... It's a cop out.

your argument is void because it is technically possible that anyone can get the physical game in some way, through theft or rental or anything its possible.

Not everyone has a highspeed broadband connection, the ability to pay for something over the internet or indeed an xbox connected to the internet at all. So there are people for whom dlc is impossible to get. the instore hard copy however they can.

Therefore the developer either just gives more of the same to the fans to tide them over or go the mass effect route and finish story lines in a way not everyone will see. which would you rather have as a fan?

CooperWasRight
12-Oct-2010, 10:02 PM
Dude I get it... You think AW is the best thing since sliced bread... That doesnt change that the idea of continuing the story in a meaningful way through dlc didnt really happen.. Defend Remedy all you want but there are many reasons why the game bombed... And this would be another chink in Remedy's one time bulletproof armor. As with the game they over promised and under delivered.

And this theft business is a silly answer because that same thief can break into somebodies house and use there broadband. It's called Free market and Remedy is a business... They don't care if your to lazy to hook your box to broadband or if you cant afford such. And if your in a market that doesn't offer broadband they dont care about that either... There product will find a market.

Danny
12-Oct-2010, 10:06 PM
Dude I get it... You think AW is the best thing since sliced bread... That doesnt change that the idea of continuing the story in a meaningful way through dlc didnt really happen.. Defend Remedy all you want but there are many reasons why the game bombed... And this would be another chink in Remedy's one time bulletproof armour. As with the game they over promised and under delivered.

My opinion on alan wake is irrelevant, i have just explained why you get no major plot developments in a dlc between two games and remedys exact reason verbatim for why they did it.

CooperWasRight
12-Oct-2010, 10:10 PM
This simply is not accurate... The dlc has been trumpeted from the begining as a meaningful continuation of the story.... the 1st one was doing so and then the end of the 2nd one nullifies any real meaning to either the writer or the signal...

Personally I wish someone would have told me they were gonna pull this stunt before I threw down cash on dlc that I thought was relevant or pertinent to the story... As I would have not paid for this.

I am sure there are some out there that also would like to know this before they are duped into spending money on such. Im sure there are many people whom would have purchased the dlc full knowing it is just some filler...

Danny
12-Oct-2010, 10:38 PM
This simply is not accurate... The dlc has been trumpeted from the begining as a meaningful continuation of the story.... the 1st one was doing so and then the end of the 2nd one nullifies any real meaning to either the writer or the signal...

Now by 'trumpeted' do you mean actual advertising or word of mouth? and since when is either 100% accurate to the reason a developer has already made the content? Because all i have said in my posts are remedys reasons for making the dlc the way they did, so they would not be unfair to some of there fans. thats not some bias opinion or defending on my part, thats repeating there reason for there development choices. is it the perfect way? not for everybody but it certainly is for the people who will miss the chance to get it.

You seem to think i am defending an opinion in an argument or something, i am not arguing anything. I have merely stated why they made the dlc the way they did. You seem to be disagreeing with something, but the only topic is that choices have been made in the past by certain people, thats all. you can't be denying that the choices where made as you have played the dlc and seen what they have made and the lack of plot progression contained therein so i assume you found argument within my posts to press the point that developers would add the ending to a game in a dlc only a certain few can get and the revaluation that this is not the case disappointed you. That or you just didn't like it and the reason why are also the reason why it was made the way it was. Regardless thats your opinion and you don't need to argue it to me or anyone its your prerogative to have one but it does not have to be a be all, end all stand to the last to defend it unflinchingly and if you wish to decent the thread into an argument i am sorry to say you will get not further argument from me.

With that i leave the thread to other people to talk about the game itself.

CooperWasRight
13-Oct-2010, 03:59 PM
Im not the only person who had a similar reaction...http://www.relyonhorror.com/articles/the-writer-the-absolute-worst-kind-of-dlc/

Danny
22-Oct-2010, 05:05 PM
I just got this and beat it in one sitting adn it was superb, especially compared to the last which felt like a cut and paste walk through the areas of the game whereas this blends the valkyr fueled nightmare levels of max payne with a LOT of silent hill minus walls of meat and there usual style to make the great stepping stone onto alan wake 2- which is rumored to contain both dlc's in its special edition, with my only gripe being one portion that involves precise jumping, when alans jumping is not precise at all. But its literally about 60 seconds of time out of the whole hour long episode so whilst retrying the same jump 5 times because made it but then the stumble animation carried you over the side to your death is very annoying at the time its a very small part of a large chunk of dlc that was surprisingly outdoing its predecessor- though this one they were working on till days before its release so i assume they just put more time into it than the first which felt more like shameless fan service for the excuse of dlc. Bear in mind i got the first free and paid for this one, this one however is probably worth the price more than the first, if your a big fan get both, but you could miss the firsts gameplay since it is just nothing but samey combat condensed into a tiny playtime length. The writer has more plot, more character interaction and just feels like the proper episode of Alan Wake the other one should have been- dont get me wrong, that was fun, this just has more variety and artistic flair to it in comparison.

CoinReturn
09-May-2011, 02:50 PM
Alan Wake 2 appears on a resume:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/altheagata

Previs Artist
Halon Entertainment

Privately Held; Motion Pictures and Film industry

April 2011 – April 2011 (1 month)

2012 Feature, Untitled Alien Project
Video Game, "Alan Wake 2" [In-Game Cinematic]

Halon Entertainment also worked on the "Deliver Hope" trailer for Halo: Reach.

Danny
09-May-2011, 03:22 PM
the guys on the remedy forums have been beating around the bush on this for months now. if you played the writer you know 2 is in the works.