PDA

View Full Version : Segway company owner dies riding Segway off cliff?

AcesandEights
27-Sep-2010, 11:19 PM
Someone fact check this, it's soaked in too much rich irony.

Segway company owner dies riding two-wheeled machine off cliff (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8027301/Segway-company-owner-dies-riding-two-wheeled-machine-off-cliff.html)

The multi-millionaire businessman, 62, fell into the River Wharfe while inspecting the grounds of his North Yorkshire estate on a rugged country version of the Segway.

The Segway is a motorised scooter which use gyroscopes to remain upright and is controlled by the direction in which the rider leans.

A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said today: "Police were called at 11.40am yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above.

"A Segway-style vehicle was recovered. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious."

Heselden was worth £166m and ranked 395th on the Sunday Times Rich List.

The former miner made his millions from defence contracts. He created a unique portable wire cage water containment system which when filled with earth and sand proved a major defence against bullets, missiles and suicide attacks.

His founded his first company HESCO Bastions with his redundancy pay when he was laid off from the mines.

The wire cage systems developed by Bastions have become standard military equipment for Nato as well as American and British forces.

The Segway operation was acquired by a UK based company backed by Heselden.

SRP76
27-Sep-2010, 11:51 PM
How do you not see a cliff coming? Stop before you go over it.

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 12:06 AM
How do you not see a cliff coming? Stop before you go over it.

Maybe the Segways are becoming self aware.:shifty:

MoonSylver
28-Sep-2010, 12:40 AM
After doing a quick google it seems every major & minor news agency around are reporting it.

Plus I read it on Wikipedia, so it must be true. ( :nana: :p )

Rancid Carcass
28-Sep-2010, 01:51 AM

I guess this is it then - it's either the start of The Terminator or The Matrix... :eek:

MikePizzoff
28-Sep-2010, 11:27 AM
This is a good party topic.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Sep-2010, 11:29 AM
Man the irony in this is funny, although the situation is sad.

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2010, 11:54 AM
Irony in this case is that the guy was killed on his own product? Isn't that just a coincidence?

Wouldn't it be ironic if he was doing a presentation of the safety features of the device as he went over?

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 12:13 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if he was doing a presentation of the safety features of the device as he went over?

:lol:

"As you can see, the new all terrain segway has certain safety features. One of which will prevent the device from nearing the edge of any tall cliAHHHHHHH"

DjfunkmasterG
28-Sep-2010, 12:20 PM

"As you can see, the new all terrain segway has certain safety features. One of which will prevent the device from nearing the edge of any tall cliAHHHHHHH"

:lol: That is so wrong, but funny :elol:

MikePizzoff
28-Sep-2010, 12:34 PM
Irony in this case is that the guy was killed on his own product? Isn't that just a coincidence?

Couldn't you say it's slightly ironic since Segways are supposedly 100% "safe of injury" as they're built to not tip over?

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 12:38 PM
Couldn't you say it's slightly ironic since Segways are supposedly 100% "safe of injury" as they're built to not tip over?

Much like a cat, do you think the segway landed on it's wheels once it reached the bottom?....

MikePizzoff
28-Sep-2010, 12:58 PM
Much like a cat, do you think the segway landed on it's wheels once it reached the bottom?....

Deep, man... deep...

LouCipherr
28-Sep-2010, 01:30 PM

:shifty: It's Skynet, man.... Skynet! :shifty:

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 01:33 PM
Deep, man... deep...

http://www.accesscable.net/~mccorm/images/deepthoughts.gif

AcesandEights
28-Sep-2010, 01:43 PM
Well, the logical answer to what happened is that something caused the man to lose control or balance (stroke, debilitating heart murmur/attack, light-headedness etc.) and the Segway went in the direction he lurched and over the cliff it went. Anyone who has ever driven a segway knows what I mean (I took an island tour on one this summer).

He should have left his segway in turtlemode.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2546/3692669482_1c0825d003.jpg?v=0

LouCipherr
28-Sep-2010, 01:49 PM
Aces - don't harsh my mellow. It was Skynet, not some heart attack or a stroke. :lol:

AcesandEights
28-Sep-2010, 01:51 PM
Aces - don't harsh my mellow. It was Skynet, not some heart attack or a stroke. :lol:

A sinister, plot-hatching AI bent on human annihilation is a more comforting cause of this man's death for you, Lou? :p

LouCipherr
28-Sep-2010, 02:00 PM
A sinister, plot-hatching AI bent on human annihilation is a more comforting cause of this man's death for you, Lou? :p

YES! :lol:

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 02:01 PM

What do you expect, man? Look where you're at and the company you're in! Some people around here pray for zombies to become a reality, FFS. :p

LouCipherr
28-Sep-2010, 02:04 PM
It would've been even better if it was a zombie that pushed him over the cliff - and even better than that if the zombie infestation was caused by Skynet itself! :D

Shit, where'd I put my tinfoil hat?!

AcesandEights
28-Sep-2010, 02:07 PM
Lou's writing screenplays for the lurkers to steal, again!

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 02:09 PM
Besides a person losing their life that's funny as hell man.

If that was in a sketch comedy show we'd all be rolling.

:cool:

DubiousComforts
28-Sep-2010, 02:18 PM
The UK actually has something called the "Sunday Times Rich List"?

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2010, 03:20 PM

ahh, i've never even seen a segway in real life so yeah, didn't know they purport to be 100% safe of injury - anyway that claim is massively false, all I gotta do is fall off it and hit the corner of a table on the way down and there you go, head injury.

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2010, 03:21 PM
The UK actually has something called the "Sunday Times Rich List"?

yeah if you make the list you're held in quite high regard - or just regarded as a rich bastard.

Its kinda our way of looking at a list of people and branding them all cunts for the sake of it - but hey at least we have a reason.

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 03:27 PM
So the rich people like it because it lets everyone else know they're filthy rich.....while you guys make fun of them because you're NOT filthy rich? :p

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes, on of the poor's favorite passtimes is to make fun of the rich, all the while wishing they were in their shoes.

Isn't that ironic? Doncha think?

Legion2213
28-Sep-2010, 03:57 PM
What do you expect, man? Look where you're at and the company you're in! Some people around here pray for zombies to become a reality, FFS. :p

You say that like it's a bad thing...:D

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 04:00 PM
Bad? No. Sad? Probably.

LouCipherr
28-Sep-2010, 04:23 PM
Lou's writing screenplays for the lurkers to steal, again!

Shhhhh! Keep that on the down-low, will ya? :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
28-Sep-2010, 04:32 PM
Isn't that ironic? Doncha think?

Like raaaiinnnnnnnnn on your wedding dayyyyyyyyyy

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 04:36 PM
Holy shit. Never thought I would see an Alanis Morisette sing along on HPotD. :lol:

LouCipherr
28-Sep-2010, 04:41 PM
Dj needs to be shot for that reference.

Dj, you get this guy: :fin: for referencing that greasy douchebag Morisette in a thread I'm reading!

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 05:00 PM
Great song from the 90's tho.

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2010, 05:04 PM
this is exactly what I mean
none of that song is ironic, just coincidental

Tricky
28-Sep-2010, 06:29 PM
Although its quite comical that the poor guy died on a Segway & probably earns him a darwin award, he was actually a really decent bloke by all accounts, he's donated millions to the "help for heroes" charity that helps maimed soldiers coming back from Afghanistan, as well as creating a blast shield that is used by both US & UK forces over there. Shame really!

MoonSylver
28-Sep-2010, 10:55 PM
So the rich people like it because it lets everyone else know they're filthy rich.....while you guys make fun of them because you're NOT filthy rich? :p

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/11/Uncle%20Pennybags.jpg

:Approves this message.

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 02:02 AM
yeah if you make the list you're held in quite high regard - or just regarded as a rich bastard.

Its kinda our way of looking at a list of people and branding them all cunts for the sake of it - but hey at least we have a reason.
In the USA, we just have the "Sunday Funnies."

Publius
29-Sep-2010, 09:57 AM
none of that song is ironic, just coincidental

Depends on whether you mean "ironic" as used by literature professors or the typical English speaker. The song is ironic according to common usage.

darth los
29-Sep-2010, 02:19 PM
Depends on whether you mean "ironic" as used by literature professors or the typical English speaker. The song is ironic according to common usage.

Agreed.

When most of the typical population uses the term ironic they mean it to say: "WOW, now ain't that some shit".

Like say a guy who picks peaches for a living dies by choking on the pit. Most would say that's ironic.

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 02:41 PM
The meaning of irony has been marginalized through common usage (such as that retarded Alanis Morisette song) same as the definition of tragedy. A steel girder falling and killing a construction worker is not a tragedy -- it's a freak mishap or a fatal accident.

"Two thousands spoons when all you need is a knife" is no more ironic than the owner of a scooter company driving one off a cliff to his death; nor is the latter example a tragedy.

AcesandEights
29-Sep-2010, 03:29 PM
Is it ironic that I knew on the internet people would quibble over my use of the word? I almost didn't use the word in my original post because of it.

Damn my hubris! Hmmm, misused that one too.

bassman
29-Sep-2010, 03:33 PM
Is it ironic that I knew on the internet people would quibble over my use of the word?

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/9990/original/internet-24591.jpg?1250726969

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 05:40 PM
Is it ironic that I knew on the internet people would quibble over my use of the word?

What are "internet people"?

blind2d
30-Sep-2010, 03:28 AM
They're us... that's all. We're them, and they're us.
People are alike... all over.
Whew, quotes! Even I don't know where they originate!
Irony, yes... tricky thing to use properly. Morisette... yeah, I saw a comedian point out when that song was still young that the things it listed weren't ironic, merely unfortunate, and it's true. This is why The Clash will always be better than anything else. Good song writing.
Hmm, what a boastful claim! The Clash, better than anything else? I'd like to see me prove that one in court! Tosser...

SymphonicX
30-Sep-2010, 07:51 AM
Like say a guy who picks peaches for a living dies by choking on the pit. Most would say that's ironic.

that's ironic but rain on your wedding day, nah...unfortunate - rain on the wedding day if they'd booked their wedding on a thai beach just to avoid bad weather at home, spent thousands getting everyone out there, then it rains...yeah that's ironic.

SymphonicX
30-Sep-2010, 07:52 AM
What are "internet people"?

I think that's me.

I'm not calling anyone up - i'm just interested in how we've forgotten the real meaning of the word and use it to describe any event that has coincidental significance...

Publius
30-Sep-2010, 10:10 AM
i'm just interested in how we've forgotten the real meaning of the word and use it to describe any event that has coincidental significance...

Meh, languages change. "We've forgotten the real meaning" is practically an oxymoron if "we" refers to common usage. It annoys me how people use "decimate," knowing it originally meant to kill one in ten, but man, that's water long gone under the bridge.

SymphonicX
30-Sep-2010, 12:39 PM
Meh, languages change. "We've forgotten the real meaning" is practically an oxymoron if "we" refers to common usage. It annoys me how people use "decimate," knowing it originally meant to kill one in ten, but man, that's water long gone under the bridge.

True dat!

LouCipherr
30-Sep-2010, 12:53 PM
*bursts into the room and screams*

SKYNET!!!!!!!!!!

AcesandEights
30-Sep-2010, 02:27 PM
I think that's me.

I'm not calling anyone up - i'm just interested in how we've forgotten the real meaning of the word and use it to describe any event that has coincidental significance...

Not you specifically, just read any thread on a webboard where the word irony is used more than once and you'll see the stage set for people to come in and make the same point. And to what end, I wonder? Pedantry has its place, but in relaxed conversation if we're to get on each other every time someone uses the word shutter instead of shudder, says the word literally, when they literally should have been saying figuratively or use decimate when they mean devastated, as opposed to a 1 in 10 purge of legionaries by their fellows, we can do that, but I'm not sure I like the rationale behind it.

AcesandEights
30-Sep-2010, 02:28 PM
It annoys me how people use "decimate," knowing it originally meant to kill one in ten, but man, that's water long gone under the bridge.

Really? I like the word decimate, it paints a good picture, whether literal or not.

DubiousComforts
30-Sep-2010, 03:04 PM
Not you specifically, just read any thread on a webboard where the word irony is used more than once and you'll see the stage set for people to come in and make the same point. And to what end, I wonder? Pedantry has its place, but in relaxed conversation if we're to get on each other every time someone uses the word shutter instead of shudder, says the word literally, when they literally should have been saying figuratively or use decimate when they mean devastated, as opposed to a 1 in 10 purge of legionaries by their fellows, we can do that, but I'm not sure I like the rationale behind it.

This is silly. The concept of irony being misunderstood due in part to the accepted frame of reference being pop song lyrics written by a dumbbell is clearly not the same thing as message board squabbles over the correct usage of your/you're.

I'm not sure that pedantry ever has a place, but being able to communicate properly certainly does (or at least, it should).

P.S. I never use the word decimate and have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times.

AcesandEights
30-Sep-2010, 03:48 PM
That we disagree is a tragedy. :p

darth los
30-Sep-2010, 04:57 PM

Sounds more like when you check someone in chess ten times.

SymphonicX
30-Sep-2010, 05:26 PM
Really? I like the word decimate, it paints a good picture, whether literal or not.

It also rhymes excellently in metal lyrics! :metal:

\m/

SymphonicX
30-Sep-2010, 05:28 PM
This is silly. The concept of irony being misunderstood due in part to the accepted frame of reference being pop song lyrics written by a dumbbell is clearly not the same thing as message board squabbles over the correct usage of your/you're.

I'm not sure that pedantry ever has a place, but being able to communicate properly certainly does (or at least, it should).

P.S. I never use the word decimate and have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times.

I don't have many grammatical gripes to be honest - in fact I abbreviate and drop caps all the time -

one thing that really really pisses me off though, and I do bite my lip at this:

"I should of said something"

as oposed to

"I should HAVE said something" or "I should've said something"

That one really gets on my nerves, mainly because its a really lazy bastardisation of the correct word which has the same amount of characters. ARGH

MoonSylver
30-Sep-2010, 11:04 PM

Oh sure, SUPOSIBLY you don't like the rationale behind it.... :lol: :nana: :poke: