PDA

View Full Version : Sally Menke - Editor for all of Tarantino's films has passed away

DjfunkmasterG
28-Sep-2010, 04:48 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/09/28/tarantino.editor.death/index.html?hpt=T2

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 04:50 PM
This really sucks as i liked her work.

R.I.P.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1123912p1.html

Sally Menke, Quentin Tarantino's long-time editing partner, has been found dead in the Beachwood Canyon area of Los Angeles, according to law-enforcement sources, say the LA Times.

The film-maker went missing on Monday after taking her dog for a walk in extreme temperatures, and her body was found in a ravine in Griffith Park after an extensive search. The cause of death is as yet unknown.

Sally Menke worked alongside Quentin Tarantino on every one of the director's movies since Reservoir Dogs in 1992 with editing credits including the Oscar-winning Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Death Proof, and last year's Oscar-nominated Inglourious Basterds.

She was twice nominated for Best Editing Academy awards for her work on Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds.

Read more: http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1123912p1.html#ixzz10qPxHJOg

:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
28-Sep-2010, 04:53 PM
Beat ya by 2 minutes

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 04:56 PM
That's hilarious. :lol:

Great minds dude.

I'm sure the threads will either get merged or mine delted when a mod comes along.

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 05:02 PM
You beat me by two minutes! :lol:

Bastard! :fin:

KhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 05:05 PM
Didn't know she edited the first Turtles film...

DjfunkmasterG
28-Sep-2010, 05:17 PM
Didn't know she edited the first Turtles film...

Me either... was a bit shocked reading that...

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2010, 05:36 PM
Quite gutted by this news actually. :(

Her editing on QT's flicks was always top notch and her style was really groovy. RIP Sally Menke. :(

*oh and MERGED by the way*

darth los
28-Sep-2010, 06:00 PM
I wonder if the dialouge, which imo, is the staple of his films will ever be the same?

I mean, characters in his films talk about a ton of irrelevant yet entertaining stuff on the way to their objectives, you know, alot like in real life.

You can say alot of things about the dialogue in his films but you always come away with a memorable scene or conversation.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Sep-2010, 06:12 PM
I wonder if the dialouge, which imo, is the staple of his films will ever be the same?

I mean, characters in his films talk about a ton of irrelevant yet entertaining stuff on the way to their objectives, you know, alot like in real life.

You can say alot of things about the dialogue in his films but you always come away with a memorable scene or conversation.

I don't see why not. That is Tarantino's direction of the actor and written word, not so much Sally's Editing... Her Editing is what turns it all into a coherent story. However, I am sure Sally's assistant will take over as Quentin's full time editor.

BillyRay
28-Sep-2010, 06:18 PM
Or just get whomever edited City On Fire...

:elol:

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2010, 06:39 PM
Perhaps the assistant will step up to the plate then - kind of like the understudy - Menke had a real style and flair to her editing, and it was always impressive in every QT flick - indeed it was one of the things I'd always look forward to, and remains one of my favourite things about QT's flicks. Her editing then became a very strong influence in his work, I felt, in the 2000s particularly, and the bond between QT and Menke seemed very strong too ... just like other Director/Editor combos who work together on every project like Scorsese and Schoonmaker.

bassman
28-Sep-2010, 06:40 PM
Was just thinking about the "Hi sally!!!" special features on Tarantino's dvds. They'll be kinda sad now....

blind2d
28-Sep-2010, 11:21 PM
RIP to her... great work that will live on.

SymphonicX
30-Sep-2010, 12:44 PM
ha the edit assistant will probably move on to more ingesting duties elsewhere :p

MikePizzoff
30-Sep-2010, 05:07 PM
Damn, that's a shame. RIP.

Off-topic but, has anybody else ever noticed that A LOT of highly-regarded films are edited by females? In fact, lately I've been noticing females being the majority of editors for movies I've been watching... probably 60/40.

DjfunkmasterG
30-Sep-2010, 05:48 PM
There are some great female editors out there. They do tend to do a bit better of a job IMHO than men, but I am sure if you go by Academy Awards it could be argued just the opposite. Look at Jaws... Verna did some fantastic editing on the film, and Sally did great work on QT flicks.