PDA

View Full Version : Taliban Removed From Medal of Honor

darth los
01-Oct-2010, 04:51 PM
I guess the pressure got to them.

So I'm thinking that now means no one can ever make a film depicting someone wearing a turban killing American soldiers?

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707836/Taliban-Removed-From-Medal-of-Honor.html

:cool:

blind2d
01-Oct-2010, 05:01 PM
Huh... interesting...

SymphonicX
01-Oct-2010, 06:25 PM
wouldn't go that far - it's the interactivity element that's the issue - let's just hope it stops there and doesn't go to the level that Mr Los fears!

darth los
01-Oct-2010, 07:01 PM
The funny thing is that they would never dream of doing that to a film because it would be considered censorship.

I'm sure the movies that were made about 9-11 also hurt and brought up hurtful feelings for some people but there wasn't an outrage against it and protests to stop it.

However, because they're video games people feel they can be censored.

It's a first ammendment issue people!

Video games are no different from any other creative medium.

bassman
01-Oct-2010, 07:29 PM
They're the first to be able to remove the Taliban.

BA-ZING!

darth los
01-Oct-2010, 07:38 PM
Damn Bass. I'm almost jealous I didn't come up with that one myself.

Def sounds like something I would say.

SymphonicX
02-Oct-2010, 03:37 PM
The funny thing is that they would never dream of doing that to a film because it would be considered censorship.

I'm sure the movies that were made about 9-11 also hurt and brought up hurtful feelings for some people but there wasn't an outrage against it and protests to stop it.

However, because they're video games people feel they can be censored.

It's a first ammendment issue people!

Video games are no different from any other creative medium.

A video game and a movie depicting true events are totally different though - one has a mandate to be truthful (or as truthful as possible, something like 9/11 movie would have to be very accurate whilst something about Genghis Khan might embellish it slightly more) with a factual movie like that - plus they were endorsed by the families of the victims. A game has no mandate but to entertain.

If the movie had depicted purely the suffering of the victims in a Saw style slew of entertaining gags such as people having their skin burnt off in chunks and jumping out of windows whilst hitting the floor like a sack of spuds, I'm sure those endorsements would be replaced with outcries!

For me the hypocrisy comes from comparing this not to a movie or what the film industry goes through - but what past games have already depicted. We've seen games like the original medal of honor and the Call of Duty franchise depict real enemies from the past. I felt a little sick back in the day when WW2 became a popular context for a video game. I wondered what my great grandfather would have said about it, or how an old man would react seeing a near perfect renactment of Operation Market Garden or something....I dunno. It couldn't be good, I'd probably feel like the whole world was enjoying and being entertained by something which would still scar me 70 years on. There's always the education argument - but call of duty has nothing to do with education, let's face it.

Also, I do think that a lot of shit can be stirred by depicting certain races or cultures as the enemy- and whilst the taliban certainly aren't a culture, there's always a danger of it becoming seen as racism. Either way maybe its too current? who cares if they simply change the character skins and even a nationality or two? I'm sure the russians must be pretty sick of seeing themselves portrayed as steriod abusing thugs in computer games....I would be. They got caned in the early noughties in computer games....

as for this game, well personally I dont' care if they've changed it - its just another FPS at the end of the day.

Tricky
03-Oct-2010, 05:08 PM
Thing is who are they supposed to depict as enemies in games if they cant use real world ones? if you made them all hispanic or western you'd still be upsetting somebody! theres been no such censorship in the latest ARMA 2 add on: operation arrowhead
http://www.gamezone.com/images/sized/images/screenshots/Arma_II_Operation_Arrowhead_-_PC_-_2-400x251.jpg
http://www.gamefreaks.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/arma-2-operation-arrowhead-takistan.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/110/1103345/arma-ii-operation-arrowhead-20100701111242200_640w.jpg

shootemindehead
07-Oct-2010, 02:07 AM
Pathetic.

But not as pathetic as not being able to play the Germans in WWII games. That really is lame.