PDA

View Full Version : True Grit trailer

bassman
04-Oct-2010, 05:26 PM
I seem to remember a thread about this film, but couldn't find it.

New trailer for the Coen Brothers' remake of True Grit...

s8QLMWN0yNs?fs=1&hl=en_US

Now that's what I'm talking about! I grew up watching the original with my old man, so this one looks fantastic in my eyes. It's also been a while since we've seen a decent western. The last I can recall was 3:10 to Yuma.

The Coens, Bridges, Brolin, and western? I'm there...

ProfessorChaos
04-Oct-2010, 09:18 PM
okay, i gotta admit, can't recall ever seeing the original, but i'm gonna run a copy down sometime soon.

and yeah, anything from the coen brothers is good, add in the western aspect and of course, the dude, and i'm there.

bassman
04-Oct-2010, 09:23 PM
okay, i gotta admit, can't recall ever seeing the original, but i'm gonna run a copy down sometime soon.

John Wayne with an eyepatch should help you recall. It was a good movie for it's time, but this....this looks legendary.

ProfessorChaos
04-Oct-2010, 09:34 PM
yeah, i recall bits of it, but don't think i ever sat down and watched the whole thing. probably one of those shows on once or twice a year on a saturday, i'd swing by the living room and hit dad up for gas bucks or something, glance at the tube, see the duke with an eyepatch, get $ from dad, and bail to get blazed or skate or whatever i was up to at the time.

this does look very good, will probably catch this one in theaters...and after watching that trailer, it makes me wish my copy of RDR wasn't at my brother's house 2 1/2 hours from my apartment.:(

MoonSylver
04-Oct-2010, 10:47 PM
I seem to remember a thread about this film, but couldn't find it.

New trailer for the Coen Brothers' remake of True Grit...

Now that's what I'm talking about! I grew up watching the original with my old man, so this one looks fantastic in my eyes. It's also been a while since we've seen a decent western. The last I can recall was 3:10 to Yuma.

The Coens, Bridges, Brolin, and western? I'm there...

NOIIICE!!! Tx, Bass, you made my Monday. :)

Dialog more or less straight from the original, but the look & mood seems grittier & serious. Seems like they made Mattie younger too, which is interesting. Can't wait. :hyper:

Just keep in mind, this is the Duke in the latter stages of his career, plus made in the 60's when westerns were big & colorful in Panavision. None of these are BAD things, but to the modern viewer it would probably seem more "family friendly" & kind of a mix of mild humor, adventure, and action. That having been said, it's a great movie & a great western IMO. One of the Duke's better late films. Heck, he won an Oscar for this one.

AcesandEights
04-Oct-2010, 10:52 PM
This really looks like it could be badass!

ProfessorChaos
13-Oct-2010, 04:48 PM
oh man, this is just great:
osbgm_gYaI0

bassman
13-Oct-2010, 05:00 PM
:lol:

Fantastic.

ProfessorChaos
13-Oct-2010, 05:15 PM
i've seen a few other toy story mash-ups before, they're all over youtube: fight club, dark knight, requiem for a dream...none were as good as this, though. buzz's "i'm a texas ranger" line had me in stitches.

Neil
13-Oct-2010, 05:57 PM
okay, i gotta admit, can't recall ever seeing the original,

*smack!!*

MoonSylver
13-Oct-2010, 10:37 PM
oh man, this is just great:

That is spot on eff-ing perfect! :lol:

shootemindehead
16-Oct-2010, 04:05 PM
Ha Ha. Thanks Prof. that's the best laugh I've had all day.

The "We're being followed" bit is brilliant.

ProfessorChaos
16-Oct-2010, 06:29 PM
glad everybody liked that so much. can't take any credit, just ran across it...here's the dark knight/toy story trailer, it's pretty good too.

7QFWBFIEuig

as for true grit, i never really understood why they release movies on christmas day. i guess it's a good reason to get out of the house and unwind from all the festivities, or if you aren't into the holiday/no family/etc it'd be okay.

i'm predicting that this will nab a few more awards for the coen brothers. looks pretty solid. i read that barry pepper is also involved....don't think i caught him in the trailers. anybody see him in there anywhere?

MoonSylver
16-Oct-2010, 07:41 PM
as for true grit, i never really understood why they release movies on christmas day. i guess it's a good reason to get out of the house and unwind from all the festivities, or if you aren't into the holiday/no family/etc it'd be okay.
i'm predicting that this will nab a few more awards for the coen brothers. looks pretty solid. i read that barry pepper is also involved....don't think i caught him in the trailers. anybody see him in there anywhere?

Yeah, doesn't really seem like a "Christmas Movie" per se, but on the other side there's not a lot of "Big Summer Blockbuster" type of compititon either, so I think it COULD actually work to its advantage? Only thing that sucks is I'll be so busy with Christmas at both sides of the family that I can't see any way to go opening weekend, which I would LOVE to do.

As for awards, I was thinking the other day, wouldn't it be cool if Bridges nabbed another best actor? The would mean 2 actors getting the Oscar for the same role, plus back-to-back for Bridges. :)

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 11:28 PM
With a couple weeks still left to go, reviews are starting to trickle in. Here's a few taken from Rotten Tomatoes:

No one really asked for it and some may resist it, but Joel and Ethan Coen's splendid new adaptation of Charles Portis' novel True Grit rides with the great ones.

The Coens don't need to reinvent or deconstruct the Western. This isn't a 21st century take on anything, it's just a damn good Western story told damn well.

A tight, concise Western that pays more homage than it does re-invent the genre, True Grit isn't quite the masterpiece some were expecting, but it's so much fun to watch that many will leave the theater thirsting for more.

The versatile Joel and Ethan Coen take a major step toward mainstream (and more conventional) cinema in their enjoyable, well acted remake of the 1969 classic Western, for which John Wayne won an Oscar and Jeff Bridges should get a nomination.

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2010, 02:17 AM
ARRRGGGHHH!!! CANNOT...WAIT...FOR...THIS....!!!!!

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/66400_o.gif

Legion2213
11-Dec-2010, 09:27 AM
Okay, I am all for good remakes if they are done right...and this one looks pretty damn right!

Neil
11-Dec-2010, 06:25 PM
John Wayne with an eyepatch should help you recall. It was a good movie for it's time, but this....this looks legendary.

Didn't he get an oscar for it?

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2010, 08:35 PM
Didn't he get an oscar for it?

He did. The only one of his career.