PDA

View Full Version : The Thing Prequel set visit...

Neil
05-Oct-2010, 12:07 PM
...sounds promising...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46868

bassman
05-Oct-2010, 12:37 PM
The pictures and reports are looking pretty good. I'm not going in expecting it to be as good as Carpenter's, but it should be entertaining in its own way.

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2010, 03:23 PM
Couldn't be arsed to read all that, but the pics at least look the part - but that's rarely the problem with these remakes/prequels/cash-ins ... I'd love for my initial thoughts to be wrong about it, just like how it was with The Crazies remake (which I actually really enjoyed and positioned equal-to the original - each version doing things better and worse than each other) ... but, naturally, there's a real fear here that it could just end up sucking hard like so many other remakes and unnecessary franchise entries.

At the very least though - Mary Elizabeth Winstead. :kiss:;)

JDFP
05-Oct-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm definitely interested in seeing this, if I understand correctly it's about the Norwegian team that finds the alien spacecraft and frees the creature from the ice block?

I have to ask though -- don't all these people die? What's the point of doing it when we know they are all going to die anyway?

I'm sure they'll think of some cop out though for a few folks (namely whatever attractive actress they can find to play the role of the female scientist) to escape. They'll end up having two helicopters or something and the one at the beginning of Carpenter's version was one team and the other chopper carries said female scientist and another mid-30's good looking love-interest scientist along with her to safety.

j.p.

Neil
05-Oct-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm definitely interested in seeing this, if I understand correctly it's about the Norwegian team that finds the alien spacecraft and frees the creature from the ice block?

I have to ask though -- don't all these people die? What's the point of doing it when we know they are all going to die anyway?

I'm sure they'll think of some cop out though for a few folks (namely whatever attractive actress they can find to play the role of the female scientist) to escape. They'll end up having two helicopters or something and the one at the beginning of Carpenter's version was one team and the other chopper carries said female scientist and another mid-30's good looking love-interest scientist along with her to safety.

j.p.

All the ones we see are dead... But the others?

darth los
05-Oct-2010, 03:51 PM
Until cgi tech advances practical effects rule.

Awesome.

:cool:

MoonSylver
05-Oct-2010, 10:54 PM
Eh...we'll see...even if this one is ok-ish in it's own right, it still doesn't sit comfortably with me. I have such a deep, abiding LOVE for Carpenter's movie that I can't really distance myself from it.

True we don't KNOW if any of the Norwegian's survive, but we're SURE AS HELL GIVEN THE IMPRESSION THAT NONE DID.

Plus I don't agree with the female cast member. Yes, I know this isn't a remake, but that is one of the things that really worked in the original, & I think would have well served this one to capture the same vibe.

The phrase that just popped to my mind while typing the above was "The Clone Wars". Part of the problem (in retrospect) w/ the SW prequels is that so many fans had hung on Obi-Wan's every word of who Luke's father was, how they met, etc. (apparently Lucas didn't pay such close attention). That plus they had filled in the blanks themselves. When it didn't unfold the way we'd been TOLD it did, or imagined it, there's a certain level of disappointment.

Granted, we don't have that level of backstory here, but I can't help but feel the same recipe of disappointment has the potential to manifest here.... :confused::(

LouCipherr
06-Oct-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't know about this... :shifty: Just seems like a bad idea.

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 02:26 PM
Trailer... (v.poor quality)
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-Thing-Prequel-Trailer-Leaks-Online-21123.html

bassman
11-Oct-2010, 02:56 PM
Like someone mentioned on that site.....why is it that people can't seem to control their cell phone cameras? Is it heavy? Honestly....there's no reason for you to go from filming the ceiling, to the floor, and back to the ceiling again.

Anyway....silly use of the same title aside, it actually looks kinda cool. It will be nice to see it in HD.

Tricky
11-Oct-2010, 03:13 PM
Considering the impression we got from the Norwegian camp was that the exact same thing (no pun intended) happened as what came later to the U.S. camp, isnt this just going to be practically a remake? I dont see the point in doing this really. But if they've got to do it, then I hope they make it decent rather than soiling the name of yet another franchise

AcesandEights
11-Oct-2010, 03:13 PM
I wonder if the shitty quality of the recorder is making the film appear more atmospheric than it would otherwise...

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2010, 04:40 PM
Considering the impression we got from the Norwegian camp was that the exact same thing (no pun intended) happened as what came later to the U.S. camp, isnt this just going to be practically a remake? I dont see the point in doing this really. But if they've got to do it, then I hope they make it decent rather than soiling the name of yet another franchise

I wonder this myself - what's the point? We know the outcome of the Norwegian camp, and aye, it seemed like the same thing happened there pretty much. Indeed we saw the frozen aftermath of it.

It'll be interesting to see if they follow that portion of Carpenter's flick closely ... for example, the dude who slit his wrists and the blood streams had frozen from the cuts to the floor.

Like someone mentioned on that site.....why is it that people can't seem to control their cell phone cameras? Is it heavy? Honestly....there's no reason for you to go from filming the ceiling, to the floor, and back to the ceiling again.

Anyway....silly use of the same title aside, it actually looks kinda cool. It will be nice to see it in HD.

Calling it the exact same thing (heh) is retarded. I mean ... why? :rolleyes:

And yes, for fuck sake, if you're going to covertly film something on your phone/handycam, for god's sake HOLD IS RELATIVELY STRAIGHT AND STEADY! Sheesh, otherwise why bother?

ProfessorChaos
11-Oct-2010, 09:54 PM
not going to bother viewing the trailer till a proper version hits the nets. while i'm a bit skeptical of this, i am rather intrigued. i think the discovery/resurrection of the thing itself could be a very interesting and tense bunch of scenes.

anyone know if this is set back in the same era as carpenter's version? i really hope they don't modernize it and add in today's technology (like cell phones in the beginning scenes before they set off on the expedition, etc) and make it out of sync with carpenter's film.

and damn, do i love the "original" (and by that i mean JC's version)....gonna have to break that one out soon, maybe on halloween evening prior to the original dawn while me and my pals are sitting around impatiently waiting for TWD.

MoonSylver
11-Oct-2010, 10:39 PM

Ever try holding a phone steady while getting your helmet polished in a darkened theater, no easy feat I tell ya... :lol:

It'll be interesting to see if they follow that portion of Carpenter's flick closely ... for example, the dude who slit his wrists and the blood streams had frozen from the cuts to the floor.

Been wondering that myself, if not it'll be one more slap in the face for fans, & one more big "FUCK YOU!" from me to them. :cool:

not going to bother viewing the trailer till a proper version hits the nets.

Truth. ;)

anyone know if this is set back in the same era as carpenter's version? i really hope they don't modernize it and add in today's technology (like cell phones in the beginning scenes before they set off on the expedition, etc) and make it out of sync with carpenter's film.

If not see above re; slap/"FUCK YOU!" :D

and damn, do i love the "original" (and by that i mean JC's version)....gonna have to break that one out soon, maybe on halloween evening prior to the original dawn while me and my pals are sitting around impatiently waiting for TWD.

I'm holding out for winter, hopefully w/ a good snowfall. The Thing, Ghost Story, The Shining, all make for great winter viewing.:D

bassman
11-Oct-2010, 11:14 PM
Ever try holding a phone steady while getting your helmet polished in a darkened theater, no easy feat I tell ya... :lol:

If he's getting that treatment in a convention auditorium....well....he's my hero. :lol:

krakenslayer
11-Oct-2010, 11:19 PM

"At any rate, we were discussing the script, he was telling me about having to work backwards from the destroyed Norwegian base from the Carpenter movie and tailoring a workable story that still stays true to what we see in Carpenter’s film. In fact, he said he’d love for people to finish this film and immediately start Carpenter’s film and have it seamlessly connect as one big story."

bassman
11-Oct-2010, 11:22 PM
love for people to finish this film and immediately start Carpenter’s film and have it seamlessly connect as one big story

Then why give it the same name?!? Ugh...that makes no sense to me.

They could at least call it "From Another World". Then back to back they would be The Thing From Another World. :p

Hell....I wouldn't mind if they called it "Who Goes There?". SOMETHNG other than Carpenter's title...

ProfessorChaos
11-Oct-2010, 11:40 PM
all of the sudden, i'm super-interested in playing that video-game adaptation from 2002 or 2003. think i'm gonna run that one down soon...:)

http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Xbox/dp/B00006C296/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286839698&sr=1-1

MoonSylver
12-Oct-2010, 12:07 AM
If he's getting that treatment in a convention auditorium....well....he's my hero. :lol:

Ok, well...maybe he was just holding the phone one handed, 'cause...y'know, he was REALLY excited to see the trailer... :whatever: :lol:

bassman
12-Oct-2010, 12:10 AM
Hey man....Mary Winstead. Mary Winstead. :lol:

MinionZombie
12-Oct-2010, 04:35 PM
I wonder if this new movie will be set in the same time period as Carpenter's movie...

Prof - I've played that very game. I quite enjoyed it, and have played it a couple of times. It does naturally diverge fairly soon in terms of locations, but seeing that burned out camp all blown to shit was super cool and really creepy. The game itself is not bad actually, although some elements (i.e. the "trust" mechanic) don't make a huge impact or work amazingly well ... but it was an enjoyable game, I found.

ProfessorChaos
12-Oct-2010, 05:55 PM
yeah, i had the game on my ps2 but never really got too far with it, as i only discovered it a week or two before i made the switch to the 360 and promptly sold my ps2 and all games.

but i have been on a survival horror games kick lately (playing through RE1,2,3,&4 this month) and with this prequel coming up, i'm gonna break out the film again soon and decided i wanted to run down a copy of the game and play it all the way through.

from what i hear, the xbox version was better than both the ps2 and pc versions. got a copy in "like new" condition for less than 10 bucks with rush delivery, should be here by the weekend.

and damn, as for the movie, i'm surprised to learn it's not coming out till the end of april, almost may. seems like a good one to release during the winter months given the setting...i must admit, though, that i am getting more interested in it by the day, and will probably catch this one in theaters.

slickwilly13
15-Oct-2010, 01:06 AM
Another article. The interior of the ship is discussed, which may shed some light on the thing's origin.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22030

MikePizzoff
15-Oct-2010, 07:25 AM
Watched The Thing for the first time in many years, last week. Forgot how utterly incredible it is and fell in love with it all over again. So much so that I watched it two nights in a row... I never do that (except in my teenage years when I first acquired my own copy of DOTD)!

I've heard the prequel is going to follow the Norwiegan crew? Anybody know if this is true?

Neil
15-Oct-2010, 07:37 AM
I've heard the prequel is going to follow the Norwiegan crew? Anybody know if this is true?

Yes...

MoonSylver
15-Oct-2010, 10:37 PM
Another article. The interior of the ship is discussed, which may shed some light on the thing's origin.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22030

Don't know how I feel about that...every time some one else does a "reveal" in a prequel, it usually doesn't work out well... :(

bassman
15-Oct-2010, 11:06 PM
Don't know how I feel about that...every time some one else does a "reveal" in a prequel, it usually doesn't work out well... :(

That's how I feel about Ridley Scott revealing the purpose of the space jockey in the Alien prequel...

MoonSylver
16-Oct-2010, 12:45 AM
That's how I feel about Ridley Scott revealing the purpose of the space jockey in the Alien prequel...

A least one of the creators is involved though. As bad as that is, it's always worse when it's just some random yahoo. :(

bassman
16-Oct-2010, 01:06 AM
True....if anyone is qualified to make the explanation, it's Scott. But at the same time.....explaining the Space Jockey kind of ruins the mystique of the original. I would be interested in knowing the origins, but at the same time it kinda ruins the fun of the original, ya know?

MoonSylver
16-Oct-2010, 01:51 AM
True....if anyone is qualified to make the explanation, it's Scott. But at the same time.....explaining the Space Jockey kind of ruins the mystique of the original. I would be interested in knowing the origins, but at the same time it kinda ruins the fun of the original, ya know?

Oh I'm totally with you. I think half the fun maybe is letting the viewer fill in the blanks for themselves & when you fill them in FOR them, they'll probably be disappointed, as it'll probably never live up to what they had created in their OWN mind.

slickwilly13
21-Mar-2011, 05:25 AM
I had a dream the other night that I watched this movie. It was a shit-tacular cgi crapfest. I remember one scene in which some guy's head falls through his body only to be shitted out into the snow. Then these tentacles shoot out of the snow and attach between his legs. His head is pulled out of the snow and dangled like a pair of nads. This was the first "thing" transformation, btw. I hope this is not a bad sign of things to come for this movie. I truely hope the movie kicks ass.

Neil
21-Mar-2011, 09:20 PM
I had a dream the other night that I watched this movie. It was a shit-tacular cgi crapfest. I remember one scene in which some guy's head falls through his body only to be shitted out into the snow. Then these tentacles shoot out of the snow and attach between his legs. His head is pulled out of the snow and dangled like a pair of nads. This was the first "thing" transformation, btw. I hope this is no a bad sign of things to come for this movie. I truely hope the movie kicks ass.
Seems to be taking forever to come out :)

slickwilly13
21-Mar-2011, 10:05 PM
I think the movie is pushed back, until October 14, 2011. That is fine by me if that is what it takes to make the movie better. No need to rush a film, but it has big shoes to fill compared to the 1982 movie. I am curious about the form it took, while trapped in ice and the interior of the spaceship.